3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone get any SPEEDING tickets!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 10:21 PM
Snax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No points with 'guilty' paid fine... YES!

This was from a previous post...
Also depends on your state, but for a few extra $, it may be worth it. It worked for me, twice.

A traffic court clerk told me this trick IF you are ticketed for speeding.
Of course we all should and usually do obey all posted speed limits and traffic laws... However on the off chance that you are ticketed, here is what to do to avoid points and an insurance adjustment.
1- Plead guilty and sign the ticket.
2- Pay your fine but... put in a little extra.
Ex, Your fine is $160 you send a check for $168.
3- What happens next varies by stay and municipality; what should happen is the court will accept your guilty plea, cash your check and issue a refund check for the over payment.
4- put the $8 check in your drawer and FORGEDABOUTIT !!!!
5- Your docket will remain open as long as the over payment check remains un-cashed. Yet the fine is paid in full.
6- As long as it remains opened it should not be reported to the Licensing bureau for points and your insurance company.

A small price to pay to avoid a big hit on insurance.... Now drive safe and drive smart!
Old 03-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fishacura
There's one thing you can do that's sure to work.....DON'T SPEED!!! Coming from someone who had a relative killed due to a speeding car....please take the advice seriously. 7-9 over the speed limit is one thing. 20 over is a bit much. The limits are there for a reason.
I am sorry to hear about your relative, but IMHO speed limits are useless. Speed limits are only a way for the states to bring in revenew. The real danger is not speeding, but the disparity of speed between vehicles.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:40 PM
GQS
Team Anthracite

False

Originally Posted by snax
This was from a previous post...
Also depends on your state, but for a few extra $, it may be worth it. It worked for me, twice.

A traffic court clerk told me this trick IF you are ticketed for speeding.
Of course we all should and usually do obey all posted speed limits and traffic laws... However on the off chance that you are ticketed, here is what to do to avoid points and an insurance adjustment.
1- Plead guilty and sign the ticket.
2- Pay your fine but... put in a little extra.
Ex, Your fine is $160 you send a check for $168.
3- What happens next varies by stay and municipality; what should happen is the court will accept your guilty plea, cash your check and issue a refund check for the over payment.
4- put the $8 check in your drawer and FORGEDABOUTIT !!!!
5- Your docket will remain open as long as the over payment check remains un-cashed. Yet the fine is paid in full.
6- As long as it remains opened it should not be reported to the Licensing bureau for points and your insurance company.

A small price to pay to avoid a big hit on insurance.... Now drive safe and drive smart!
Unfortunately, this is an urban myth that just keeps getting passed along. This storey originated in Australia, where apparently in some jurisdictions it actually worked. But not here.

Read the full storey here http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp
Old 03-25-2005, 01:36 PM
The Flipster

Good site for radar detectors. http://www.speedzones.com/
Old 03-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I've gotten 4 tickets since I purchased the CL-S back in May of 2003. I have 5 tickets total. Insurance ownz me.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:49 PM
2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

Most police cruisers have a rear (Ka band) radar unit if you look in the back window (rear Drivers side) you can clearly see it...at least in Florida they do....... FHP most definately has them.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Advanced

Angry Can't say I'm happy to join in the "Ticket Club"

I used to be a horrid driver (Speed wise). Had to go to happy driving school and everything, lost my license for a month (Was supposed to be longer). I have made a point of driving more carefully (Mostly due to the fact that the cars I am driving are now purchased by me). Finally got a damn ticket in the TL yesterday... was driving down one of the "major" roads in my area and honestly thought it was 60Km/h and was doing 66-67Km/h... but, apparently it was a 50... I dont even really care about the ticket ($130.00), but rather the fact that it took me 5 years to get out of demerit land... now I am back in... just great... ah well... god forbid they actually clearly posted the speed limits rather than relying on the "if its not posted its 50" rule... damnations.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Instructor

as to the question about rapid acceleration being ticketable.. i am not sure but i can say this...

if the cop thinks you were racing someone that is an offense called spontaneous drag racing and is a huge no-no with a fat old ticket.

also as a cop that i know told me once, they have a book of regulations about 6 inches thick on what you can and can not do on the highways and if they want to get you for something you are probably breaking at least 1 of those rules.

not nice but the facts...
Old 03-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Instructor

or they could get you for careless and reckles or my favorite... that covers anything they want to get you for... exceeding safe conditions.

hope that helps answer the question because in the end it just depends on the officer that sees you and how his day is going.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear

1St Ticket in 15 Years

Hi All, I've had my 2005 TL w/Navi for less then 3 weeks and got my first speeding ticket in 15 years. Doing 79 in a 55 on The Taconic state pkwy in New York. THe ticket was a computer print out with the radar /Laser detector used listed . It was a stalker Dual (Lidar)
Old 10-06-2005, 12:25 AM
Advanced

No tickets thank god. But I really don't know how. In my opinion, getting tickets is all luck of the draw. Some people get screwed and others don't. Life just isn't fair to some drivers.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:31 AM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by Gingerbreadman
as to the question about rapid acceleration being ticketable.. i am not sure but i can say this...

if the cop thinks you were racing someone that is an offense called spontaneous drag racing and is a huge no-no with a fat old ticket.

also as a cop that i know told me once, they have a book of regulations about 6 inches thick on what you can and can not do on the highways and if they want to get you for something you are probably breaking at least 1 of those rules.

not nice but the facts...
exactly, police can get you for anything they want to, rule number 1, dont piss police off, can be engaging in speed contest, reckless driving, all thrown onto 1 ticket, standby for tow or huge bill.

Radar CAN shoot out the back, and laser is more and more popular now, can pinpoint a car thousand yard away and clock you immediately.

As i always tell people, you speed? go right ahead, take the chance,
Old 10-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Yea.. it always catches up to you in the end. Felt so lucky never getting a ticket for the past 2 years and I just got one last week for going 88 in a 65.. but traffic was all moving at 85+, just happened to pick me out. Maybe I should stop waxing my car...
Old 10-06-2005, 12:37 AM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by kensukikatayo
Yea.. it always catches up to you in the end. Felt so lucky never getting a ticket for the past 2 years and I just got one last week for going 88 in a 65.. but traffic was all moving at 85+, just happened to pick me out. Maybe I should stop waxing my car...
hey. police's gotta pick SOMEBODY right? heck, sometimes police even give other cop tickets.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:00 AM
Instructor

there was something I saw where they published some of the photo radar ticket pictures where people were wearing masks or a lady putting makeup on in the mirror and not watching... best one was someone mooning through the front windshield.

I used to have a decent radar detector but for some reason it broke. From what I noticed though, Ka is the only thing useful in this state. X and K both trip off every time you pass an intersection or a walgreens.

I do need to grab another one, i was hoping to find one I could take apart to pull out the sensors then extend em out to a small pod on the dash and mounting the rest underneath somewhere.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My recent speeding ticket in maryland had a choice for "excessive acceleration" to check off as an offense. So yes, you can get in trouble just for speeding up quickly within the speed limit!
Old 10-06-2005, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
uhm, he was in front of you and you passed him by?
unfortunately, you are not correct.
some 5-0 cars have radar that shoots out the back now. i don't know how they aim, but they can do it while they are driving. so be careful
He did not pass the police vehicle, the police pulled him over when he got close to him. "five-o" is a term used for cops, so I am guessing you don't actually think the police cars still have 5.0L today, they have 4.6L
That cop was simply just an irritating guy who felt like pulling our poor TL driver over, he didn't have a radar gun... this just to show some cops are just a**holes.

I hate cops, I don't usually get pulled over, but I still hate them very much
Old 10-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

All I have to say is that I hate COPS. I have gotten a ticket for almost every violation in the book. At least thats the way i feel. My RSX was just ( I will admit it) obnoxiously loud and I drove it like an a** most of the time. I got most of my speeding tickets on my bike. i got nailed doing 140 in a 55. almost lost my license for that one but had a good lawyer. one was I got pulled over for street racing, 90 in a 40 and reckless driving. That one i really couldnt fight cause I was caught by two under cover cops(Honestly who does that????). But in my TL I have the V1 and that thing is a life saver. Not to mention I try not to speed anymore cause with my track record,i am in no place to disobey the law.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by blktl1
That one i really couldnt fight cause I was caught by two under cover cops(Honestly who does that????).
They do it here...cops here have a tricked out Evo, Mustang, something (I forget what as I don't go on the stretch of highway they use it on much, but it was some kind of car that people who like to race would want to race). They cruise 485 in NE Mecklenburg county with it hoping someone will pull up and want to race...they give a nod, play along for a minute, then pull them over...
Old 10-06-2005, 12:31 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got ticket for doing 70kph in a 50kph zone, and after 1 month i went to ICBC to pay the ticket, they said the officer had canceled it...~~~
Old 10-06-2005, 12:58 PM
SOLD 9/11/06 Parts 4 Sale

I have a radar some cobra one... but yea they dont work.... I was drivin up to Canada in my dads benz and had the radar on. I was doing like 120 in a 65 when my radar goes off. I begin to brake as fast as i could without having the wheels lock (thats not too cool when you are doing 120) and got it down to like 85. That was the most that i could ev slowed down so i got a ticket for doing 85 in a 65. This shows that radars do work but only up to a certain extent. You just dont have enough time to slow down from those kinds of speed so keep the speeding within a range. I would not have gotten the ticket if i was doing like 80 in a 65 because chances are i would have had enough time to slow down. By the way i have never gotten a ticket in my CL. I have no radar or anything in it and everynight i drive back from my GF's house (1-2am) doing like 100-130 on the highway and have never gotten a ticket but thats just pure luck....cuz im in an acura
Old 10-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Racer

So did you have a radar / laser detector? If so did it show laser? Or just going by the ticket?

I live in the same area as you (Well a bit south of you). Haven't seen one Laser hit on my detector yet but, I am sure its coming. Ka is very popular around here.

A few years ago I got nailed for 84 in a 55 on the Sprain. I passed a marked patrol car. Never even saw him (three lane road at night). He pulled me over. Never even flicked on his radar. He wasn't an ass though just doing his job. He was very concerned about me pulling out into traffic after the ticket. I was STUPID. Ended up pleading it down anyway.

In my TL I got pulled over in town for crossing over the double yellow to pass some moron in a mini van who just pulled to the right slightly and stopped for no reason. That cop was an asshole. The passenger in my car at the time though we were going to be arrested. :-)

Originally Posted by gtole
Hi All, I've had my 2005 TL w/Navi for less then 3 weeks and got my first speeding ticket in 15 years. Doing 79 in a 55 on The Taconic state pkwy in New York. THe ticket was a computer print out with the radar /Laser detector used listed . It was a stalker Dual (Lidar)
Old 10-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Advanced

I got a speeding ticket back in April in Illinois going like 82 in a 65, and then I got another one in May doing 55 in a 45 in my home town in TN. I was just wondering how that would affect my license. Can you go to the DMV and get a copy of your driving record??

The first one i paid the extra money so that I could go to driving school in my home state but I have never received any info about it. Maybe i should try and call the state to find out.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
What are "points" and how do they work?

I haven't had a moving violation since April, 1971.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Instructor

I don't think radar detector will help you that much. I think there are other thing you should consider:
1. Cops don't generally look for nice or nicer car. I consider TL a nice car. Cops will look more for rice cars, muscle cars, or those real sports cars.
2. Colors. Cops like those sporty bright colors as red, yellow, ...
3. Use your insticts and be smart. If you see cars in front of you and/or surround you slowing down, then slow down. Why? Maybe accidents, road hazard, cops, ...
4. Be aware of your surrounding and use your mirrors. I always use my left and right side mirror and middle mirror or whatever you call it. You can use the mid mirror to see cars behind you and far behind you and some cars on your right by move your head/body a bit left and vice versa.
Right Side mirror will help you to see most cars on your right side and also to see cars that is entering the hwy, perhaps a cop?, when you pass a hwy exit.
If you stay on the far left lane, that's all you need, mid mirror and right side mirror.
If you stay on the mid lane, then you can also use your left side mirror to see car on your left side and behind you.
I mean there are other thing that I may forget, such as: slow down near the hyw exit, the cars that enter the hwy can be a cop? who knows?
Anyway, if you just rely on your radar only without using knowledges and insticts, I don't think that's gonna help.
I hope this is helpful for you guys.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:16 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by yourpoison
Anyone get any SPEEDING tickets!?
One question...
If a cop is driving in front of you and you are coming up behind him, is it possible for him to clock you?
Ofcourse I have, several & they are not only painful w/$ but the points raising your insurance if you dont do the driver school to remove the points...
He definetly can clock you.

& ... thats 2 questions!