Anyone get any SPEEDING tickets!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 02:56 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone get any SPEEDING tickets!?

Got my first ticket tonight in the TL.
74 in a 55.

After i pay this ticket, i'm going to order the Passport x50.

One question...
if a cop is driving in front of you and you are coming up behind him, is it possible for him to clock you? Because he said he clocked me when i was driving up behind him... i forgot to ask to see the radar...
Old 12-31-2004, 02:59 AM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
no...radar can only detect as you passby
Old 12-31-2004, 03:20 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yourpoison
74 in a 55.

One question...
if a cop is driving in front of you and you are coming up behind him, is it possible for him to clock you? Because he said he clocked me when i was driving up behind him... i forgot to ask to see the radar...
uhm, he was in front of you and you passed him by? i slow down to 5 below the speed limit if theres a cop in front of me.

Originally Posted by mastertl
no...radar can only detect as you passby
unfortunately, you are not correct.

some 5-0 cars have radar that shoots out the back now. i don't know how they aim, but they can do it while they are driving. so be careful
Old 12-31-2004, 05:32 AM
Blue is so so

i got marked for a 66 in a 35 - 8 points on my license and 230 bucks!!!!!

i was speeding, but not that excessively - and if it were a mph less - i would not have gotten this hefty a fine, so i know for a fact the cop was a jerk and made it 31 instead of 30.

i am still debating if i should get a radar detector, they make the car so damn cluttery and people tell me they only work sometimes.

opinions/suggestions?
Old 12-31-2004, 06:38 AM
Weather Watcher

Originally Posted by tl_soso

i was speeding, but not that excessively - and if it were a mph less - i would not have gotten this hefty a fine, so i know for a fact the cop was a jerk and made it 31 instead of 30.

i am still debating if i should get a radar detector, they make the car so damn cluttery and people tell me they only work sometimes.

opinions/suggestions?

Get one, a proper one. I once got clocked doing 96 in a 65 and paid a $395 ticket. I didn't even want to know what the effect on my license was but my insurance went up the roof. Day after I paid the ticket I picked up a Passport 8500 X50 and its been smooth sailing ever since. :race:
Old 12-31-2004, 06:46 AM
Racer

There's one thing you can do that's sure to work.....DON'T SPEED!!! Coming from someone who had a relative killed due to a speeding car....please take the advice seriously. 7-9 over the speed limit is one thing. 20 over is a bit much. The limits are there for a reason.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:32 AM
Racer

I got a speeding ticket within the first month I owned the car (my first speeding ticket in nearly 15 years), so I bought the x50 with the blue display. I didn't hard wire it as I really only use it on the highway, and it saved me once already.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:10 AM
Blue is so so

SSM6MTNAVI - besides the Passport 8500 X50 - what other radar detectors would u recommend?

What is the price range for a "good" radar detector?? What are some of the features I should look for when buying a radar detector?

Thanks for your input man!!!!!

Fishacura - Sorry to hear about your relative. I agree, speeding dangerously is obviously not a smart thing to do. But the speed limits are WAY inadequate these days. Especially with people driving 5-10 MPH UNDER the limits. I live in NYCity - and the majority of traffic jams during rush hour would be resolved if people drove AT LEAST the speed limit.

The state speed limits need to increase by AT LEAST 10 MPH nationally.

Not on local streets, which are fine at 25-45 MPH.

Either this has to happen, or idiots should stop getting licenses. Driving slow in the left lane should be illegal and penalties enforced for it. If u want to drive slower than the limit, or go the limit, the right (for slower cars) and center lanes (for speed limit cars).

No one adheres to this and slowly but surely, we are all gonna be loving sitting in traffic for even more hours pretty soon.

someone needs to start a movement to increase speed limits/enforce stricter highway driving.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
How do points work on (or against) your drivers license.. I've never really asked the question.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

opinions/suggestions?
try taking the console out and hardwiring the radar detector in, splicing power from somewhere, so that u dont clutter up your dash and dont take up the availabe power outlet.

And yes, radar detectors work pretty darn well. I even avoided a ticket yesterday, and that was with my cheapo whistler radar detector that costs around $80. Also depends on where u live - cops in differnt areas use different bandwidths. For example, here in lexington, they use the "Ka" band, but up in binghampton, to syracuse, NY, (on I - 81 North) i got blasted by laser twice. Theres nothing a radar detector can do to protect against laser. The only real protection against laser would be a laser jamming system (about $400).
Old 12-31-2004, 09:09 AM
Suzuka Master

My V1 = No tickets.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
74 in a 55.

One question...
If you are behind him and his radar gun is facing forward, he cannot clock you. But, if he has the radar on the dash with a swivel mount so he can aim it backwards, or if he has a permanently mounted radar gun facing backwards, or if he has a handheld gun and points it backwards, then he can definitely clock you, which is what he did.

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
How do points work on (or against) your drivers license.. I've never really asked the question.
You are awarded points based on the infraction. Speeding usually gives you 3 points, and usually a state will set a total number of points for different punishments, say if you get a total of 8 points in a given time period you will get your license suspended for 90 days, but if you get 9 points, you might get it suspended for a year. Each state is different, but this will give you an idea of how the points system works.

In this wonderful computer age, I think most states are "talking" to each other, so another state's points might wind up on your record. And the insurance company almost certainly gets notified.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
Old 12-31-2004, 10:06 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i go 90 on the highway still havn't gotten a speeding ticket yet lol
Old 12-31-2004, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
The reason I asked about points is because I have not had a moving violation since April, 1971. Back then, points were not used.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:06 AM
TEAM NIGHTHAWK ASSASIN

Since I've had the TL I recieved four tickets and 1 warning Just recently since November I've recieved 3 . 72 in a 40 , two weeks after that 74 in a 50 and about two weeks ago 73 in a fifty It really sucks too because not one of those times was I actually trying to speed . I should have floored it each time to make the ticket worth while (j/k)
Old 12-31-2004, 12:39 PM
Waiting for delivery

I'm still waiting for my TL to arrive, but we just got an MDX for my wife. The throttle is a LOT more sensitive than I'm used to - so speeding is very easy. I'm normally one to stick to the posted speed limit, but I've looked down in the last week and caught myself at 10-20 over the posted limit. It doesn't feel like I'm going that fast. I can't imagine what the TL will be like.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:54 PM
Racer

In Oregon, radar isn't used too frequently...it's all laser. Even with a Valentine 1 I got my first ticket in my TL. No problems in the Legend, but of course they had to get the TL. 47 in a 35...

*laser detector goes off*

(look in my rear view mirror and a motorcycle cop is weaving in and out of traffic)

"Damnit."
Old 12-31-2004, 04:57 PM
Banned

no not lately
Old 12-31-2004, 06:25 PM
Advanced

I've got speeding tickets at Valdez, AK and I-495 near I-295 in MD before and both eventually showed up on my CA license with points!
Cannot even take traffic school or fight those tickets because it's so far away...
Time to slow down!
Old 12-31-2004, 07:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Dont buy passport...buy valentine one www.valentineone.com

Do a search you will see valentine is preferred far over any other

But, sorry that happened to you... hopefully never again
Old 12-31-2004, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Either this has to happen, or idiots should stop getting licenses. Driving slow in the left lane should be illegal and penalties enforced for it. If u want to drive slower than the limit, or go the limit, the right (for slower cars) and center lanes (for speed limit cars).
This actually IS illegal! The law is "Keep Right, Pass Left". In NJ you can get a fine and points for driving in the "passing lane" without actually passing anybody. It may not always be enforced, but the law is on the books.

I remember George Carlin had a funny observation about those who drive faster than us as being "crazy" and those who drive slower than us being "ass holes"... or something like that. Very true.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2004, 07:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by EmuMessenger
My V1 = No tickets.
I have one ticket with the V1 - but it was from laser, with laser there is no hope...thats why I installed a laser jammer the other day (wonder if it will work?)
Old 12-31-2004, 07:44 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by NLYTN
Since I've had the TL I recieved four tickets and 1 warning Just recently since November I've recieved 3 . 72 in a 40 , two weeks after that 74 in a 50 and about two weeks ago 73 in a fifty It really sucks too because not one of those times was I actually trying to speed . I should have floored it each time to make the ticket worth while (j/k)
Maeby you might want to rethink your style

So far I've been lucky with the TL. Speeding tickets are a real waste of money and time. If I do get one beleive I'll be good for a year to keep my insurance from skyrocketing.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:56 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Four tickets and your STILL allowed to drive? Say it isn't so....
Old 12-31-2004, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by donkeykang
In Oregon, radar isn't used too frequently...it's all laser. Even with a Valentine 1 I got my first ticket in my TL. No problems in the Legend, but of course they had to get the TL. 47 in a 35...

*laser detector goes off*

(look in my rear view mirror and a motorcycle cop is weaving in and out of traffic)

"Damnit."
get a active laser jammer like the one I just removed from my soon to be sold TL-S.

my gallery on page 3. titled "Laser-pro 904"
Old 01-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Racer

I've had a V1 for about 7 years and haven't gotten a ticket yet. I was pulled over once by a cop with instant on radar late at night in a particularly "tight" community (i.e. they pull people over for everything). I was doing 50 in a 35 zone that can easily handle over 50mph. I've been hit with laser doing about 80 in a 65/55 on multiple occasions. The only thing that saved me here was that I was in traffic and in most of the cases, I was not the one in the left lane, so they either weren't directing it at me, or they couldn't figure out who they tagged.

There are a few situations that radar detectors won't help all the time in.

1) Laser. Usually once you get hit with laser, it's too late. Also, the beam is usually directed at you, so "spray" may not be caught by your detector before it's too late.
2) Instant-on radar. If there's a lot of traffic around, you can usually tell when there is a cop using this up ahead. However, if you're the only one on the road, when you hear the detector go off, it's usually too late.
3) When you don't recognize what the detector is telling you. Much of the effectiveness of radar detectors is understanding what it's telling you. Ignoring alarms or not understanding intermittent alarms can cause you problems. Learn how to use the detector properly and learn to understand what it is telling you under different circumstances.

As for the original question, I personally have never heard of nor experienced a police car that has the ability to shoot radar to the rear. Typically, for a moving police car to tag you, the radar is calibrated to the speed of the police car. They would have to do something fancy to be able to reposition the radar to the rear and still get it to give an accurate reading. Also, it seems unlikely that this is a common use for radar, since most people that travel behind a police car make sure they are going the speed limit or lower (or at least traveling the same speed as the police).

More likely, if the term "clocked" is used, this means that radar was *not* used. When "clocking" your speed, the police officer is estimating your speed based on other factors. For example, in your case, if he was doing the speed limit and he noticed that you caught up to him over a certain distance, he could probably give an estimate to how fast you were going. "Clocking" is more common if the police car is behind you since it is very easy to estimate your speed in that case, but I can see them doing it in your case if you caught up to them quickly.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Racer

You need to slow down. Although I disagree with most speed limits as they are posted (they are too low), the speeds that you mention are reckless. In particular, doing 72 in a 40 is a bad idea.

Obviously, I don't know what the environment was like, but I can guess that it is probably a somewhat residential or high traffic area, and that there may be some pedestrian travel (thus the 40mph limit). Traveling 72 in an area like this is negligent. If you did come across a situation that required you to stop quickly, you couldn't. You could kill a pedestrian or cause significant damage, possibly even killing yourself.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Pro

One question...
Yes, its called VASCAR (Visual Average Speed Computer and Recorder). CHP in CA have it and it worked both in front and behind to clock a car.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Advanced

NY State is uncool for speeders

They have been on a major campaign including laser on the Thruways. That being said, they'll give you 80 in a 65 without stopping you nearly always. I drive between Rochester NY and Boston often, and have given up on radar detectors. They tell you (too late) about NY cops, and Mass-holes have set up warning signs every ten miles on the Turnpike that give you false warnings for miles. Better just keep it under 80 until you're on a back road.

Of course, I have gotten tickets on back roads, too. It's another form of tax, unless you think 55 is really a reasonable law! (The history of the law was to save gas, since our highways were designed for 100 MPH traffic.) Try driving in Europe (where death rates are lower). If you're doing under 180 (KPH) in the left lane, get ready to move over, b/c they know how to drive...

OTOH, the speed limit in Colorado and some other Western states is 70, which gives you a safe zone of 85 (not bad)...

Speed kills???
Old 01-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Blue is so so

speed DOES NOT kill - Stupidity does. If you're speeding in a 35 MPH school zone then you're being a moron.

But in america, speed limits need to increase by at least 10MPH in almost every single area.

Speaking of slow left lane drivers - yes, its for passing ONLY, but when people are driving slow in the left lane, that prevents u from passing them and that is why slow drivers in the left lane should be illegal as well.

severe punishment to all slow left lane drivers who should know better.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
speed DOES NOT kill - Stupidity does. If you're speeding in a 35 MPH school zone then you're being a moron.

But in america, speed limits need to increase by at least 10MPH in almost every single area.

Speaking of slow left lane drivers - yes, its for passing ONLY, but when people are driving slow in the left lane, that prevents u from passing them and that is why slow drivers in the left lane should be illegal as well.

severe punishment to all slow left lane drivers who should know better.
Too bad everyone in American doesn't take care of their vehicles as well as we do. Our government set those speeds based on your average "joe" that is driving a 1970's beater with balding tires and one working headlight. If we enforced European standards, about 1/3 of the vehicles in America would be pulled off the streets. Unfortunately our mass transit systems suck in this country, so we are forced to co-mingle with other vehicles that do NOT belong on the streets.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by narikin
..... since our highways were designed for 100 MPH traffic.
I'd like to see your source for that statement.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Setting higher speed limits would be something i'd love to see. On my way to mahopac in upstate NY, the speed limit is 55, but me and all other cars end up going at least 70-80mph. You think a cop would pull me over if i'm going with the "flow" of the traffic? I passed a cop car around 1am, i have a good eye and saw him hiding in the bushes, but only as i passed him b/c it was pitch black. I was doing about 73mph, and so was a car in front and next to me, but the cop didnt bother us at all.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Imho...

I don't like to lift "the speed limit". Generally, higher speed we get more problems of pollution and emission our environment would suffer. (Don't talk about freeway in Germany, it's not the privilege we could have over here... we'd abuse it... especially we have tons of OLD cars and ppl never follow the rules...)
Old 01-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
I'd like to see your source for that statement.
Me too because that is most certainly *not* true. Our roads are neither built nor maintained for higher speeds (e.g. 100mph) and that is one of the reasons for the lower speed limits. Germany spends significantly more on road maintenance and technology that allow the higher speeds on much of the autobahn.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:49 AM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by narikin
They have been on a major campaign including laser on the Thruways. That being said, they'll give you 80 in a 65 without stopping you nearly always. I drive between Rochester NY and Boston often, and have given up on radar detectors. They tell you (too late) about NY cops, and Mass-holes have set up warning signs every ten miles on the Turnpike that give you false warnings for miles. Better just keep it under 80 until you're on a back road.

Of course, I have gotten tickets on back roads, too. It's another form of tax, unless you think 55 is really a reasonable law! (The history of the law was to save gas, since our highways were designed for 100 MPH traffic.) Try driving in Europe (where death rates are lower). If you're doing under 180 (KPH) in the left lane, get ready to move over, b/c they know how to drive...

OTOH, the speed limit in Colorado and some other Western states is 70, which gives you a safe zone of 85 (not bad)...

Speed kills???
I'm from the Rochester area and travel to the Springfield, MA area fairly on a regular basis and agree with your assesment about them 'giving' you up to 80 without issue. That's why I normally set my cruise (when I can use it) at 78. That gives me a little cusion if I need to get around the many (too many) slow left-lane drivers.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
america needs an AUTOBAHN :-)
Old 01-02-2005, 12:19 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No tickets for now.

Being european i used to drive very fast, but if you drive in germany you will notice that people don't sleep on the left lane, they see you coming fast they put on the right lane to let you pass in security.

It's discipline, simple. And a question of habit.

Old 01-02-2005, 08:09 PM
TEAM NIGHTHAWK ASSASIN

Originally Posted by missmyprelude
You need to slow down. Although I disagree with most speed limits as they are posted (they are too low), the speeds that you mention are reckless. In particular, doing 72 in a 40 is a bad idea.

Obviously, I don't know what the environment was like, but I can guess that it is probably a somewhat residential or high traffic area, and that there may be some pedestrian travel (thus the 40mph limit). Traveling 72 in an area like this is negligent. If you did come across a situation that required you to stop quickly, you couldn't. You could kill a pedestrian or cause significant damage, possibly even killing yourself.
Acutally it was a three lane road with no pedestrians around . The thing was I had just come up a hill and just broke away from Traffic and I was in the process of slowing back down to the speed limit and the cop jumped out and signaled me to pull over ! Hey I figured the cops have been pulling me over because I'm famous and they just wanted a autograph - any thing for a fan (j/k)

Quick Reply: Anyone get any SPEEDING tickets!?