3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else park FARTHER away than necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh forgot to mention i have zero dings since i got the 04 in dec 03 and i park where ever i find a spot. plus i live in nyc
Old 05-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
wandered over from 2nd gen forum, anyhow got some dings in my ride recently from a shopping cart or two (I work in a supermarket) and it annoyes me how ppl can never fess up to shit like that. I now park around the corner of the building in the spots that never seem to get used. Paintless dent removal unfortunately, will now be one of my next "mods".
Yes, I park out in the back-40 and then I sweep the lot of any shopping carts within 50 feet of my car. My kids no the drill and seem to enjoy it for now any way. So far, I have been lucky with no dings. My Wife is less careful with her Honda Pilot so there are couple of gashes in the body side molding that makes me glad that the 'car' has that. It's a tough world we live in.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I do it all the time...people hate driving with me just for that reason...fat fvcks lol this is why america is getting so fat.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Yes, I park out in the back-40 and then I sweep the lot of any shopping carts within 50 feet of my car. My kids no the drill and seem to enjoy it for now any way. So far, I have been lucky with no dings. My Wife is less careful with her Honda Pilot so there are couple of gashes in the body side molding that makes me glad that the 'car' has that. It's a tough world we live in.

Actttttuallly.....its a stupid world we live in full of the more than necessarily needed ignorant sasquatches...... but thats just my
Old 05-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FSU-Acura
Also.... my girlfriend and I have a dog, an extremely energized Boxer (Diesel is his name, and it fits him). Anyways, I get so paranoid when he rides in my car as dogs have bad balance and it seems like he is scratching the crap out of the leather. I always put a towel down, but he finds a way to get under it or get back down to the leather.... Any ideas?
You can sew some Velco to the towel so that you can Velco the towel to the carpet instead of just putting the towel on top of the seat. hope it will work, I never tried but I have the same issue as you. So I never drive my car if I have to take my dog out!!

I always park my ride far so that no one can give me door dings!!!!

I HATE DOOR DINGS!!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Everybody knows I am a sick person when it comes to my car. They know where I will park. Rain or shine or blizzard, I park in the boonies. I always offer to drop them at the door and I will walk. That way their lazy asses can stay big, unlike mine.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveP66
It was early so the lot wasn't full yet but here's where I park......LOL

hahahah lol.....i would do the same thing.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I park far away or next to other nice cars. Doesn't really matter though. No matter how far away I park I always end up with some idiot 2 inches away from me when get back to the car. I shouldn't admit to this but I lost it one day on this POS car. I parked in a near empty mall parking lot but still far, far away from anyone. When I get done shopping I'm walking toward my car which is one of three in the parking lot. Without fail, there's a beater parked so close I almost have to get in through the passenger side-- literally. I checked my car for door dings which amazingly there were none but it was his passenger door to my driver door. So instead of getting in through the passenger door, I broke his mirror off to give me the extra clearance and added a few dents for extra insurance. The windows were looking mighty good too but I didn't feel like busting up my hands. I doubt anyone is that dumb to park that close in an empty parking lot, it had to have been done on purpose.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:46 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
SteveP, that is a little ridiculous
Old 05-10-2007, 08:20 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I used to have a hooked up car during college days in the tropics and used to hike blocks to park in the shade. It was the only way to survive with a black on black car and daily temps 100F+. I used to park my old Bimmer far off too. With the new Acura I got lazy and started parking it up close in the crowd. I now have 2 dings within 8 months! Nothing big but it irritates me like crazy!

I'm going to start parking far now but now I have 2 fears; As said, if you park way out, a nice looking car will stand out and may be a target. People may think I'm showing off or something and may key it/vandalize it. People may be more likely to try and look inside and peep my system etc. Also people on far ends of empty parking lots tend to drive much faster than on the nearer crowded part of the parking lot. (they drive slow when they're looking for parking or people are crossing the parking lot, that's where the speed bumps are too.) I'm scared some dummy ( not paying attention, distracted, looking at the nav, on the phone, etc. etc.) will run right into my car if it's out in the open with no protection. It probably wouldn't be a simple fender bender either. And 8 times out of 10 you know if someone bumps your car in a parking lot they run and you are screwed.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think that anyone parks farther away than I do!! My fiance makes fun of me all the time, but you know what.....I would much rather park away from everyone than walk out and find that someone nailed one of doors.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it....if you want your car to stay looking nice park her away!!!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:46 PM
10th Gear

Unhappy Count Me In!

You better believe it. I park far also. Husband gets mad at me because he hates to walk. But my car still got a dink in the door.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by FSU-Acura
Nice!!! I love how you have the TL and she has the Civic! Seems like most of my friends who are married, the wife always gets the nicer car.
When she makes twice as much as I do, then we can talk about who drives the nicer car!

In all seriousness, though, we'll probably be getting a decent SUV type automobile pretty soon, and of course we're thinking Acura. It might end up costing more than the TL...which means I'll just have to get an RL!!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I don't necessarily park farther away. At the office, for example, the garage is always overfilled (they double-park cars in the aisles and such), so instead of focusing on parking in an isolated spot, I try to park so that the passenger side is next to some pillars, which means that nobody can park next to me on that side; as an added bonus, because I never have anyone riding on that side on the way into work, I can park extra-far to the right in the space, making dings on the other side less likely just because of the extra distance from the car on the other side. (I worry more about the annoying back-in parkers here than I do about door dings. Half of these idiots think they need to park backwards but aren't very good at it, and they go back and forth, over and over....stupid habit.)
This is very similar to my "end spot" approach. Great work, man!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
i used to....but my car still got keyed and slashed tires....so i just park next to expensive cars...ie. mercedes, bmw's, lexus', or cars that look nice...cause the chances are better that the person of the other car will be just as careful as i am with opening doors
Old 05-10-2007, 09:00 PM
'07 TL Type-S 5A/T

I park far away for two reasons: 1) I get a decent cardio workout, and 2) minimize the risk of your car getting dinged! Screw what others say! Usually, the ones who could care less drive crappy cars...They should respect you for appreciating your car. Now, if you have a friend who drives an M6 and parks it anywhere...well then, I don't know. LOL!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

When I parked as far as I could at work my car got keyed! $1200 damage.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:23 PM
'07 TL Type-S 5A/T

Are you guys f'n serious about the keying part for parking far away? Omg...those haters need to be boxed together and dropped off in the middle of Sunni Triangle wearing, "fk Iraq" all over them.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:37 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Hell yeah I park far away! When I go to the store, it is very easy to know if I am there if you can see the whole lot because I park far away and stand out! NO! I know what you are thinking...I do that shit on purpose to draw lookers! Nope! I just hate it when people park next to me! I ain't "getting over it" so don't ask me to either!

I am very anal about this. Not only do I park far away, but if I do have to park near civilization, I try to park diagonal in my parking space! It works! If you can't do it, then don't hate! I stay right between the lines too! I also back in, because I hate people walking the fuck behind me when I am backing out the spot! Idiots! I never park pulling in frontwards unless I have to. As for shopping carts, if one of those storage areas is near, I park my car parallel to it further down away from it. So if people roll their carts and they don't go all the way in, they won't roll backwards or frontwards into my car. I know, I know...but I said I was anal about it! And don't give me none of that it's just a car crap either! YOUR car is just a car. MY car is MY car. I'll change my attitude when someone else pays the note for me! LOL!

So if you live in Germantown, and you venture to Milestone Shopping Center...you'll see my car. Like out on a damn island!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:45 AM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i park my 97 3.0 away from other cars/people(esp at work) so my tl-s is always parked in no man's land.............
Old 05-11-2007, 12:51 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

One other thing because I saw this earlier...

ANIMALS NOT ALLOWED!!!

If you are insane enough to ride your dog/cat/mouse/hamster/snake/Bubbles in your car with leather interior (especially given Acura's leather rating), then go ahead! As for me...

HELL TO DA NAW!!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:40 AM
Instructor

If I had the factory door bumpers, I might not park as far away, but they make the car look lame.

I wish there was a cheap product where you could buy some color matched magnetic bumpers to put on the doors when you have to park next to morons in the compact spots. Does anything like this exist?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:23 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
When I parked as far as I could at work my car got keyed! $1200 damage.
DEAD FKN SERIOUS. You have NO IDEA how pissed I was when I saw a deep key scratch down my passenger side DOORS. If I caught them it would of been a very BAD day for their knees and throat!
Old 05-11-2007, 03:25 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by darksom1
One other thing because I saw this earlier...

ANIMALS NOT ALLOWED!!!

If you are insane enough to ride your dog/cat/mouse/hamster/snake/Bubbles in your car with leather interior (especially given Acura's leather rating), then go ahead! As for me...

HELL TO DA NAW!!!!

I can't understand these people with dogs in their cars. Hair, drool, their A$$HOLE sitting and farting on the leather, their claws, the windows all slimed up. GROSS
Old 05-11-2007, 04:48 AM
DuDeChEwY

lol i park allll the way in the back of the parking lot......sometime people think i have a pos car and im embarrassed to park near the building. lol until they see the TL then they're like WOW!!
Old 05-11-2007, 04:54 AM
Safety Car

what is a pos car? OK I am stupid, whats new?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Yup i do too, ppl actually know its me certain places i go because i pick the same lot and spot often
Old 05-11-2007, 06:09 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

what is a pos car? OK I am stupid, whats new?
piece of shit (pos)
Old 05-11-2007, 06:49 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I park far away from everyone, however it seems when I come out of the store there is usually another car, also usually some riced out or teen car parked right next to mine. Once I came out and there were four riced beaters parked around mine. I am in the middle of nowhere. I don't know if people feel validated by parking next to someone else?
I have to admit, when I see another TL parked in left field, I will go and park in the vacinity, however I will give plenty of breathing room between our cars, after all I would not want a baby TL on my hands
Old 05-11-2007, 07:07 AM
Safety Car

I always do that. If I see another nice car parked in the boonies I go there, but plenty of room. Respect peoples car.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 AM
Instructor

I always park in an aera of the parking lot where I think I will be safe. My wife kids me all the time. The bad part is that I have been keyed, had the tire valve caps stolen and sometimes a pos Suburban or some other land yacht parks next to me. You know the kind, never been waxed and a bunch of stickers all over the window. I guess you can't win, drive a nice car and sometimes you become a target for thugs. Check out some of the BMW sites sometime and see some of the things that happen to those cars.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:49 AM
'07TL

Thumbs up

I always park far away. It pisses off my girlfriend and friends but ya know what, they dont pay the bill for it and id rather have a ding free car for the $$$.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveP66
It was early so the lot wasn't full yet but here's where I park......LOL

You'd like the Total Beverage in Springfield, Virginia (unfortunately they're moving across the street). I tried to get a picture on Google Maps, but the car park isn't clear enough to post it here. Anyway, their property is on the corner of two streets, and on the corner there is this one diagonally-oriented parking space with grass on either side of it. That is to say, the spaces do not continue around the corner continuously; there is a straight row along each street, then a grassy gap, then this one diagonal space.

Guess where I park
Old 05-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Cruisin'

I did a little experiment, I parked as far away from a building as possible. There were no cars parked anywhere near me when I got out, but when I came back somebody parked right beside me even though spots were open directly in front of the building.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Advanced

I can't understand these people with dogs in their cars. Hair, drool, their A$$HOLE sitting and farting on the leather, their claws, the windows all slimed up. GROSS
WOW!!! lol!

As much I am a car person, I am also a dog person. I love taking my dog to the dog park or just on rides with me sometimes...

I take every precaution possible...
- Towel down on the leather beneath the dog (no scratches on the leather yet, knock, knock)
- I keep interior and leather wipes in the car and I give the car a fresh wipe down the second he leaves the car

Any other thoughts as to what I can do? I am thinking about purchasing a seat cover which I will only put on when he (my dog Diesel) is in the car as the towel always ends up getting thrown to the side
Old 05-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^maybe use a cheap K-mart branded blanket...that way, cuz of its bigger size, if he pushes it around, something will hopefully stay underneath him
Old 05-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Racer

I hear what some are saying about parking in the boonies and getting hated on, that's why I should have mentioned that I do have a little tact in my routine... First never take more than one spot, even if there's a gazzilion of them open. Next, go to the end but not the very end unless it's filled to the end, then and only then look for the end spot.... It's all about protecting as much as you can, so if you can guard one side, do it. By parking in a few spots on near the end but still away from "the bulk" this way peeps don't get the idea you think your cool so the haters stay away.

Speaking of haters, why does the TL draw so many of them out? On the road minding my own business dudes fk with me all the time... Yesterday it was some neanderthal on a Harly Road King. Took off from a light all mellow, he was making a gap in the left lane so I could change lanes and pass the dude in front of me who was in the right lane... Just as I was about to pass, he speeds up and boxes me in!!! A little ways down a car in front of the car in front of me makes a right, Harley fuk has no choice but to pass dude in the right lane, so I take the opportunity to blow them all off... Now Harley fuk races up behind me and flies the bird.... I checked the brakes, they work real good!

I don't get it, but damn I almost got dipchit to lay the bike down, with his bird flying and all his eyes bugged out when he saw the TL's LEDs and the Acura "A" get real close... He grabbbed hard and the bike wobbled a bit! Woulda loved to see that "A" imprinted on his noggin!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:04 AM
07 TL-Navi 5AT, NBP

Me too. Like Darksom1 I park diagonally in my spot, usually an end.

I park in the same place at work every day, next to an island but one with no tree, so no bird poopies or tree fallout. Everyone pulls in the same way, straight through. There is normally no passenger so very slim chance of dings. I've even had the same car park next to mine several times.

Grocery store... I take the truck now. They have LOTS of cart corrals, but I live in Cecil County (MD), fat pigs are still too lazy to return the carts.. AND the parking lot is on a good incline so the carts really pick up speed. I have also seen them travel AROUND an island and continue down the hill toward a modded car!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Safety Car

When my sisters family members ride in my car, the next week or so I have little Great Dane hairs allover. I hate it. They have 8 of those giant dogs. I like them, but not the hairs in my CAR!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by onsknth
I hear what some are saying about parking in the boonies and getting hated on, that's why I should have mentioned that I do have a little tact in my routine... First never take more than one spot, even if there's a gazzilion of them open. Next, go to the end but not the very end unless it's filled to the end, then and only then look for the end spot.... It's all about protecting as much as you can, so if you can guard one side, do it. By parking in a few spots on near the end but still away from "the bulk" this way peeps don't get the idea you think your cool so the haters stay away.

Speaking of haters, why does the TL draw so many of them out? On the road minding my own business dudes fk with me all the time... Yesterday it was some neanderthal on a Harly Road King. Took off from a light all mellow, he was making a gap in the left lane so I could change lanes and pass the dude in front of me who was in the right lane... Just as I was about to pass, he speeds up and boxes me in!!! A little ways down a car in front of the car in front of me makes a right, Harley fuk has no choice but to pass dude in the right lane, so I take the opportunity to blow them all off... Now Harley fuk races up behind me and flies the bird.... I checked the brakes, they work real good!

I don't get it, but damn I almost got dipchit to lay the bike down, with his bird flying and all his eyes bugged out when he saw the TL's LEDs and the Acura "A" get real close... He grabbbed hard and the bike wobbled a bit! Woulda loved to see that "A" imprinted on his noggin!
Same with me. If I'm driving the Grand National no one messes with me unless it's to race. In the TL people think they can just walk all over me. It seems like I'm constantly getting cut off, flipped off, or people start trouble for no reason. It doesn't bother me too much in the TL but if someone ever tries to hit the GN it's going to be trouble.

Quick Reply: Anyone else park FARTHER away than necessary?