3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else park FARTHER away than necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:28 PM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
I remember when i still had my 02 tl type S and i was going to wichita state university in KS. i was late for class and i had to find a space that was available. I went to class for a couple of hrs and when i came back there was a minivan that cannot park for crap. Van was probably a foot away from my driver door i was like, I cant even open the door to go in? So i was getting really upset and just stood there for 5 to 10 minutes and thinking how am i getting in my car without hitting this van. So i had to get in the passenger side and slide to the driver side and left there. No dings on my car because i think there was only one student unless the passenger of that van went out of the driver side.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had 400 dollars worth of door dings on my last car (lexus es300). After that, I park at the very end of the lot at work and take 2 spots since no one parks down there. My Acura for sure will also only be parked at the very end of a parking lot taking up 2 spots.

Only problem is people get jealous and it opens up opportunity for getting keyed.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SteveP66
It was early so the lot wasn't full yet but here's where I park......LOL

That's actually what I do, and I'll take up 2 spots just in case.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:47 PM
da man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I park far away too from other cars (it's 3 weeks old), but I think as the car gets older I'd probably start parking closer.....kind of like when you first got the car, you washed it quite frequently and as time goes on it only gets washed when it rains (smile).

The one thing though that I can not stand is people who take up 2 spots close up to the building. That deserves to get dings/dents/etc
Old 07-22-2007, 10:49 PM
da man

Steve P66 - why don't you just park in another state (smile)
Old 07-23-2007, 05:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I park as far away as I can. If I have people with me, I offer to drop them off at the door.

Most people don't mind walking. I can't believe all the nice cars parked close, look at them

as I walk by to see all kinds of dents/scratches. Lazy Fat Slobs.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:16 AM
My TL can do this, too!

Originally Posted by darksom1
...I try to park on their passenger side. Just in case it's only a driver in there. I also avoid vans, pickup trucks, and POS cars or cars that look like kids are in them...
I go by the same principle. My wife totally doesn't understand why I tell her to park five open spots away where the car on the left is front-in and the car on the left is rear-in parked.

At work, it's a little bit different. People seem to be considerate in my parking area in the terms of opening their door and making a ding. I park in the farthest row not for the fear of someone dinging my door, but some jackass walking by with their zippers on their bags scratching against my side. Got hit twice in four days; rather annoying. After I moved to the rear row, haven't gotten any more scratches!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Racer

I am usually the first at work so I have my pick of spots. There is one spot on the second level that is about 1-1/2 times as wide as the normal spots. I use this one and it is only a few steps further than the closest possible spot.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:17 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I must admit when I read the title I thought yeah I park really far away from the curb all the time... lol
Old 07-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Advanced

You guys are making me miss my old building where we had the nice indoor garage. My TL was barely in the sun for a year and a half. Plus I got the bonus of parking next to my boss and we each took up 1 1/2 spaces.
Now I try and get a shady spot next to some of my other co-workers and as far back as I can. It's only a matter of making sure the municipal gardners aren't around to weed whack crap all over the place.
Everywhere else I go, I'm always the furthest away. My friend picks on me when we go into Manhattan since I make her walk so far.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Race Director

I always park on the end of a parking lot. I think I always tend to either drop off my friends or date first because if it's in the end they would have a hard time getting out on one side.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Racer

always park far away, or if there is an end spot. I will park there and keep the car to one side as much as possible,

girlfriend hates it to, its good for here though
Old 07-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my first new car when I was 17. Ever since then, I have always parked as far from everyone else as possible. Old guy=old habit. My wife has gotten used to being dropped off at the door of any mall or store and waiting for me inside while I go park. It used to piss her off, but after 20 years together she just accepts it as my quirk, and life goes on.

In fact recently we had to go to a wedding at a place with a too-small parking lot, so there were no spots 'away' for me to snag. So I dropped her off, drove down the road a bit and parked in a hardware store's lot...then walked back the 1/2 mile. She just rolled her eyes.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

I always park far away. My last car (Scion tC) got 3 major dents from parking lot a-holes. I won't be letting it happen anymore.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Advanced

You should have seen my face when I pulled into the wrong lot at Yankee stadium where it was VALET and they wedge your car in for you somewhere. It took a few beers to calm down. It's a good thing the game sucked and we left early.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by brettallica
I park as far away from any other cars as possible. I also ALWAYS park on end or parallel spots.

The wife isn't crazy about this when we go out to the mall or shopping, but hey there's a reason the TL has 0 dings and the Civic she drives has 100. I'd rather walk an extra several hundred feet with the piece of mind that I won't have to worry (at least not as much) about coming back to my car with a nice fresh ding in it.
I'll second this. People seem to have an uncanny ability to misjudge the path of their doors. As I walked through one parking lot this weekend, I noticed almost 8 cars in a row that all had minor dings in the side doors.

No thanks, I'll walk it.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by KylesTL
You should have seen my face when I pulled into the wrong lot at Yankee stadium where it was VALET and they wedge your car in for you somewhere. It took a few beers to calm down. It's a good thing the game sucked and we left early.
I HATE valet parking. When my wife was having my son a couple of weeks back, I thought about using the Hospital Valet parking so that I could go right in, but When I entered the garage, I saw how closely the valets wedged in the cars, and decided to take a pass.

It takes me a long time to find a spot in a parking garage because people just do not know how to pull in between two white lines . They usually park all over the line and everyone else follows suit. I have been late to so many appointments because I absolutely refuse to park next to someone who obviously does not care.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Sometimes I don't park.

If I go to a store, etc. And no good spots are available, I go back another

day when I can park FAR away. At work I also get there b4 others and park in the last spot with my tires touching the edge of the grass. Then they cut the grass

and coat my car with it
Old 07-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
I bought my first new car when I was 17. Ever since then, I have always parked as far from everyone else as possible. Old guy=old habit. My wife has gotten used to being dropped off at the door of any mall or store and waiting for me inside while I go park. It used to piss her off, but after 20 years together she just accepts it as my quirk, and life goes on.

In fact recently we had to go to a wedding at a place with a too-small parking lot, so there were no spots 'away' for me to snag. So I dropped her off, drove down the road a bit and parked in a hardware store's lot...then walked back the 1/2 mile. She just rolled her eyes.
Now that's definately love for your car!! The only time I wouldn't walk back 1/2 mile is if is 100 degrees outside with a black suit on, then I'd even be sacrificing my own health for a car?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Pro

^^^^
It only takes about 5 minutes to walk the 1/2 mile. Trust me, it was much better to park in an empty lot than to be 'shoehorned' between all these crappy dirty cars, owned by people who were inside drinking. Guess what I witnessed as I was going back to get my car later that night...at least 4 people slammed their doors into the car next to them. I was SO ok about the walk!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Racer

After having my last car backed into TWICE while parked in a parking lot that 2 shuttle can pass each other on I decided when I got the TL I'd park it far enough to be out of harms way. Nobody running grocery carts into my stuff and best of all nobody parking next to my car. It can be a pain but the joy of knowning it is 99% more likely not to get dinged it makes me feel great. *knocks on wood*
Old 07-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Drifting

I always park half a mile away from other cars...but I still got nailed. Last week....at a local farmers market....I parked in the grass...not even on the lot....and some old lady backed out of her spot.....turned the wheel....right into my drivers door. You just can't win sometimes. Most drivers are total idiots. Stay away from parking lots if you can.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Include me on the list....I always park in corner spots and park as close to the curb as possible...I dont care what people think i rather walk a bit longer if thats what it takes to keep my car free of dings!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
If I go to a store, etc. And no good spots are available, I go back another

day when I can park FAR away. At work I also get there b4 others and park in the last spot with my tires touching the edge of the grass. Then they cut the grass

and coat my car with it
Damn, that's something else....not parking at all! Sometimes one must bite the ole' bullet i think.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
At work I also get there b4 others and park in the last spot with my tires touching the edge of the grass. Then they cut the grass

and coat my car with it
Oh, I had my car parked at the very end of my office's parking lot. There are a row of houses behind the office building separated by our property line which is lined by trees. Now, I get off of work and there is a guy blowing his yard behind the parking lot and my car is absolutely covered with GA Red Clay amd leaves. I am screaming at the guy and he and his wife shoo away to the inside of their house. I am getting mad just thinking about it. The guy had to blow all of this stuff up a hill and over our property line to get it on my car. Whoosah!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:39 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Damn Corey! That's gotta suck for you, dude! Nothing like a nice sudsy bath would do the trick for her though. Just look at it as a blessing in disguise. And with all the rain we've been getting, it'll wash off eventually.

Good thing my office has a covered parking garage.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Race Director

^^^^
It only takes about 5 minutes to walk the 1/2 mile. Trust me, it was much better to park in an empty lot than to be 'shoehorned' between all these crappy dirty cars, owned by people who were inside drinking. Guess what I witnessed as I was going back to get my car later that night...at least 4 people slammed their doors into the car next to them. I was SO ok about the walk!
yeah get exercise and save your car from being dinged. but, to tell me if Chicago had like 120 degree heat like Vegas and Phoenix, but with humidity too, so it would be like 130 degrees, you would still park a 1/2 mile and you had to wear an all black suit or tuxedo and walk?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by mn2trance
Damn Corey! That's gotta suck for you, dude! Nothing like a nice sudsy bath would do the trick for her though. Just look at it as a blessing in disguise. And with all the rain we've been getting, it'll wash off eventually.

Good thing my office has a covered parking garage.
Ty, You have no idea. I was about to get in some real trouble that day. Later on, when I calmed down, I could not believe how I went off on that guy. I was really ready to fight. I now park towards the front of the building and I get a curb sopace so that I can hug it tightly. I haven't had any issues so far.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:32 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
I totally understand, dude. I would've done the same thing, too, had that been my car and the dumb fuck didn't give a shit about what he had done to someone else's property.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:17 PM
4th Gear

I park so far my girlfriend gives me hell every time.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by mn2trance
I totally understand, dude. I would've done the same thing, too, had that been my car and the dumb fuck didn't give a shit about what he had done to someone else's property.
You're right. I used to park right in front of the building until the Parking Lot Nazi (Owner of the building) mandated that all employees park on the side or the back of the building and leave the front spaces for customers/visitors. He was right, but who the hell wants to hear that?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
yeah get exercise and save your car from being dinged. but, to tell me if Chicago had like 120 degree heat like Vegas and Phoenix, but with humidity too, so it would be like 130 degrees, you would still park a 1/2 mile and you had to wear an all black suit or tuxedo and walk?
Hey there ARE limits to what I'll do to keep ding-free...but to me that was no biggie. So no, I would not hike the 1/2 mile in 130 degrees in a black suit, nor would I do it in a blizzard. But this was evening and it was 65 degrees, so it was really very nice out and I rather enjoyed the stroll.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:55 PM
10th Gear

reminds me of a story ... kinda long:

back when i had my rx-7, i went to the mall and parked in an end-spot ... literally 10 to 15 empty spaces to my left. when i come back to the parking lot, there is a car parked *right next* to me. as i disarm my car, the alarm chirps, alerting me that it went off.

so i check and ... lo and behold ... there is a ding in my car. it matches the color of the car and his door lines up with the ding mark. needless to say i FREAKED OUT. i did something i may not be so proud of ... but wtf! why in the world did he park right next to me, then ding my car. ugh.

------

that being said, i park far away too.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i've learning the hard way to park as far away from civilization as possible ... i got more dings and scratches than a 50 yr old hooker
Old 07-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

I alway's park away farther than necessary.........or I'll just take the beater out , just for a quick run to the grocery store....no ding's as of yet !
Old 07-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Acuras Only in

In our office building, there is a huge underground parking lot that has poles every three spots. I always park on the right side spot with passenger door hugging the pole So far no dints ... (knock on wood) ...
Old 07-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Race Director

Hey there ARE limits to what I'll do to keep ding-free...but to me that was no biggie. So no, I would not hike the 1/2 mile in 130 degrees in a black suit, nor would I do it in a blizzard. But this was evening and it was 65 degrees, so it was really very nice out and I rather enjoyed the stroll.
well good thing you agree with that sir

i'm going to hopefully be like you one day and my wife can tolerate me parking any of my future cars far away and she'll give me the rolling eyes.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:52 PM
2006 TL-S.C. 6mt

corner spots !!!!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Intermediate

Everytime I'm in a store parking lot, if I see a SHOPPING CART, I'll park more than a few spaces away from it. Same goes for the office--I'll park in the back just to avoid places in front of the building where people congregate.

Same goes for people that drive ghetto ass rice burners wrecklessly on the freeway--I'll slow down and move to the right lane so that their dumb ass doesn't tailgate me and possibly rear end me.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:49 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I've started to park far away to avoid people, but some places I have to park close.

Quick Reply: Anyone else park FARTHER away than necessary?