Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to turn off the DRLs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any way to turn off the DRLs?

Appears the 07 TL will have DRLs....I think our friends up in Canada have them now...any way to shut them off? Short of unplug? Honda dealer here says no??
Old 08-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first thought is why would you want to? Nice safety feature. I know of one way, but it's the stupidest thing I've ever seen, so I won't even mention it here.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Instructor

DRL's are favorites with law enforcement. LEO's tend to spot you very early and notice and track your car due to the DRL's. They wonder why are your headlights on during the daytime and suspect your behavior as irregular!

I had a car with DRL's and learned the problems with them first hand.
I will never buy another car with them, and that includes Acura.
If my '06 TL had DRL's, I would not have purchased the car!

My
Old 08-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to agree, I hate drl's. My Volvo had them and I made the dealer turn them off, they told me "it's the same as having the lights on", I told them if I want the lights on I'll turn them on.

And they're only safer when there are only a few cars with them on, now everyone and his brother has them on.

Dave
Old 08-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I think one reason Americans don't like DRLs is that there is less benefit on an Interstate highway or similar road. On two-lane roads, where you pass over the centre line on the other side of the road, DRLs (or headlights) are a real benefit, IMO, especially on those hot summer days where the road in the distance seems to shimmer. It's a LOT easier to see an oncoming car with lights of some kind when you're deciding whether to pass. I wish everyone would just turn on their lights on two-lane roads.

Canada has a lot more such roads, which is one reason why they mandated DRLs.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Instructor

ridiculous

Originally Posted by DrEvil777
DRL's are favorites with law enforcement. LEO's tend to spot you very early and notice and track your car due to the DRL's. They wonder why are your headlights on during the daytime and suspect your behavior as irregular!

I had a car with DRL's and learned the problems with them first hand.
I will never buy another car with them, and that includes Acura.
If my '06 TL had DRL's, I would not have purchased the car!

My
Explain to me how this is so...... I dont like drl,s myself, and would always rather have the option of turning my own lights on and off when needed, but how to leos notice and track your car, and especially why do we think you are behaving badly if you have them on. ???
Perhaps you are using inductive reasoning, and assume because police stop you, and you have drl,s, then the lights must be the cause.
I take no notice or anyone else in my department of running lights.
Please explain.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:32 PM
RickRoush03

DRL's should be as easy as a fuse, i remember my parents 97 accord had them and it was as easy as unplugging a fuse so i'd assume it's the same.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:43 PM
3rd Gear

can anyone confirm a way to shut off the DRLs?
Old 12-25-2006, 06:09 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Removing the connector at one of the bulbs should cause both lights to go out.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by dmarcus48
I have to agree, I hate drl's. My Volvo had them and I made the dealer turn them off, they told me "it's the same as having the lights on", I told them if I want the lights on I'll turn them on.

And they're only safer when there are only a few cars with them on, now everyone and his brother has them on.

Dave
Guess what, you noticed more cars with them so they are grabbing your attention. So they are safer. They do their job. That is why I added them to my car.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Couldn't be happier!

I just went throught this first hand because I picked up my 07 on thursday.

There is a fuse under the driver side dash that can be pulled to disable them, but upon doing so a yellow 'DRL' indication shows up under the tachometer in the HUD. The indicator goes off once you turn on the main headlights, but remains on during the day.

I personally don't mind the light, as it doesn't look like a 'warning' type light, you could almost pass it off by saying "that indicator just tells me that they're on" to yourself. And, I value not having the DRL's come on with the HID's and add an ugly pee-yellow tint to my headlights. I prefer the clean and wonderful HID look by itself.

I think it's fuse #3 (bottom row, third from the left). It's a mini-15.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:14 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

The DRL does not come on with the HIDs in the 07 TL. As soon as you turn on the HIDs the DRLs go out. Not sure what the big deal is.. I think the DRL make the TL look more aggressive.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check the fuse for DRL or is there one?
Old 12-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Personally, I also hate the darned things and will not buy a car with unless I am really sold on the car and there is nothing else competing with my choice.

It's a mistake to believe they are any kind of safety feature. They may have somewhat of an advantage now since most cars on the road still do not have DRLs. But once you get maybe 80+% of the cars on the road running them then your DRL car is going to look just like any other DRL car. In other words, your car will no longer stand out from the crowd, so any safety factor will be nullified.

I just don't like the things.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:25 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Personally, I also hate the darned things and will not buy a car with unless I am really sold on the car and there is nothing else competing with my choice.

It's a mistake to believe they are any kind of safety feature. They may have somewhat of an advantage now since most cars on the road still do not have DRLs. But once you get maybe 80+% of the cars on the road running them then your DRL car is going to look just like any other DRL car. In other words, your car will no longer stand out from the crowd, so any safety factor will be nullified.

I just don't like the things.
I can understand people who just don't like them. That's fair. They'd also be more acceptable if they were sex'd up like the high end Audis using LEDs. But to say they don't have a benefit to safety is incorrect. DRLs have been proven to reduce accidents. We've had em since '89. Pedestrians also benefit from DRLs.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Race Director

I personally dont like them at all and really dont see much point to them. I mean the biggest light in the world is on during the day why do you need more? While I would not upgrade to DRLs on a car if it came standard I could learn to deal with them.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:40 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Im thinking about taking those bulbs out and putting in angel eyes for the DRLs. Ill probably do that when I decide to grow enough balls to bake my headlights and clear them
Old 12-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by triggle
I can understand people who just don't like them. That's fair. They'd also be more acceptable if they were sex'd up like the high end Audis using LEDs. But to say they don't have a benefit to safety is incorrect. DRLs have been proven to reduce accidents. We've had em since '89. Pedestrians also benefit from DRLs.
Notice the gist of that paragraph was that at present they may (and probably do) have a slight advantage since most vehicles still do not have DRLs. But when the time comes that most do vehicles have DRLs (I said 80+%), then your vehicle is not going to stand out any more than any other one with DRLs, so any safety features gained would then be pretty much lost. I could be wrong here, but think about this. At night, just about every vehicle on the road uses their headlamps, and I would guess that as a percentage, more accidents occur at night then during the daylight hours even when you factor out alcohol use.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:21 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Accidental post...sorry
Old 12-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Racer

See post # 36 on this thread for some info....thread also good for changing fogs....

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...0&page=2&pp=25

as for DRLs they look like a Saturn (sorry Saturn owners) coming down the road with the pee yellow...just do not like...if situation dictates just turn on the real lights and get tail lights also......to each his own....
Old 12-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Explain to me how this is so...... I dont like drl,s myself, and would always rather have the option of turning my own lights on and off when needed, but how to leos notice and track your car, and especially why do we think you are behaving badly if you have them on. ???
Perhaps you are using inductive reasoning, and assume because police stop you, and you have drl,s, then the lights must be the cause.
I take no notice or anyone else in my department of running lights.
Please explain."

First off, when LEO's tell you that they look for cars running their headlights in the daytime and that they actively stop those vehicles, it is not inductive (incorrect) or deductive (correct) reasoning. It's a matter of fact. That is also why GM stopped putting DRLs in their cars several years ago, after complaints from consumers and LEOs. It has been cited in several NTSA studies concerning LEOs and the top 3 reasons that they stop cars. The color red, innappropiate headlight use ( i.e during the day) and sharp or brisk movements/lane changes.

2nd, I have the resources to buy what I want, and a car with DRLs will never be purchased by myself or anyone in my house.

3rd, If Canadians like them, they can have them.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Safety Car

DrEvil, I am not sure where you get your info from but you are not correct.

GM still does put Daytime Running lights in all of their cars and they do not plan to stop. Honda now does it, all Toyotas do it, even Chrysler products are doing it now.

That is fine if you don't purchase a car with DRL. Because all cars by around 2010 are going to be required to have them. At least that is what I read a few years ago. So get use to it.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

So what! .....live with them!........my 18 wheeler has them so you knucke -head's can see me comming at you!, and I don't pull a "GRAVE-DIGGER" on you!!!........safey is safety quit yer crying!
Old 12-26-2006, 07:39 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
This is silly...

Every Toyota made today has DRLs... They're really quite neat, as they run the high beams at 60% or so until the low beam s are activated. There is no seperate lens for DRLs as on the TL.

Toyota will be the #1 selling automaker in America as of January. DRL's are here to stay, and the discriminating consumer seems to be buying them.

Most insurance providers give a DISCOUNT for DRLs.

LEO's pull you over for running your headlights during the day? That's not even logical... Perhaps the statement "headlight use" implies they pull you over for NOT using your headlights AT NIGHT... I've never heard of a LEO pulling over a driver for daytime headligths use. My neighbor is a retired military MP, and now a VA state trooper, and he's never pulled anyone over for daytime usage either, as we discussed this over beers tonight...

I just installed an aftermarket "Hamsar 45023" DRL module on my wifes 2007 Honda Odyssey... I'm not averse to them, the science shows they improve safety.

It's OK to not like them... but it won't be long, and you'll be pedalling to work because every car will have them.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

To add to KEnnedy, Toyotas also allow you to turn them off on the headlight staulk.

But DRL are here to stay, and no one is going to get rid of them.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:38 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Cars with DRLs approaching from behind grab your attention. This helps alert drivers who may not monitor their mirrors. It will always do this even at 100% implementation.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Racer

Appears the Nanny State is alive and well....glad to hear Toyota gives one the option for DRLs Off....that is all I asked for...to each his own...
Old 12-27-2006, 12:35 PM
In search of TL

Not buying a car because it has DRL? A little extreme, but you can do whatever you want. Personally I'd find something else to worry about than whether or not my car has DRL or not.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Texas
Appears the Nanny State is alive and well....glad to hear Toyota gives one the option for DRLs Off....that is all I asked for...to each his own...
Just for the record Toyota does NOT offer that on all models. It might offer it on some but my aunt has a 04 seinna and the only way to get her DRLs off are by turning on the headlights. I guess thats what you get for getting a minivan but her husband has an 03 Lexus LS 430 and its the same thing as her car the only way to turn it off is to turn on the headlights. So which Toyota model does offer that option?
Old 12-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Safety Car

I know the 06 Camry rental I had, and our 07 Camrys all had the switch on the stock to turn off the DRL.

It was either OFF, DRL, AUTO, Parking Lights, Lights.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Texas
The "Nanny State" has been alive and intrusive for 40+ years (actually longer if you want to go back to 1935, the year Social Security was passed). The Founders are rolling in their graves.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
DRL's are here to stay, and the discriminating consumer seems to be buying them.
Really? What car has them as an option so a consumer can choose? I doubt very many "discriminating consumers" are choosing to buy them at all. The just buy a car they like that happens to have them.

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Most insurance providers give a DISCOUNT for DRLs.
Not mine (Liberty Mutual)
Old 12-27-2006, 08:32 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mike03a3
Really? What car has them as an option so a consumer can choose? I doubt very many "discriminating consumers" are choosing to buy them at all. The just buy a car they like that happens to have them.

Not mine (Liberty Mutual)
I'm certainly not implying that a person would buy a car BECAUSE it has DRL's... that would be as ridiculous as, well, someone NOT buying a car they liked because it has DRL's. Hence the irony. I was more poking fun at the other guys passion against DRL's, which I think is silly... especially since it's a statistically proven safety feature that works.

... and I am discriminating consumer, and was frustrated by the fact my wife's Odyssey didn't come with them... so I added them.
If I didn't have HID's in my fogs, I would install the same setup on my 2006 TL, but the Hansar unit I used would run the fogs at 60% until the ligths come on. HID doesn't like to be run at partial voltage

To answer your question, apparently almost all modern Toyata/Lexus have them, AND the ability to disable them...

USAA offers a discount on certain safety and security features, to include DRL's.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts
Well, DRLs are certainly creeping up on me. My '03 Suburban came with them, and now my wife's Accord EX-L and my TL-S both have them. Frankly, I'm ambivalent. I can't see them from the behind the wheel, so I don't get all hot and bothered that they exist.

They just aren't on my radar as a feature to either want or avoid. Like Rhett said to Scarlett: "Frankly my dear, I just don't give a damn."
Old 12-28-2006, 01:26 PM
04 NBP 6MT

DRLs are stupid and pointless in the continental US. And they look super gay.

The science shows DRLs improve safety in Sweden, Canada, and other places in the arctic circle, where ambient light is limited. South of the 49th parallel, the improvment in safety is minimal according to the science.

I suspect putting down the cell phone, blackberry, burger, latte, or newspaper and DRIVING would have a much more impressive effect on safety than DRLs.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Advanced

The only trouble I see with DRLs is to forgetting to turn on regular HIDs at night/dusk.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, 'your-_mon, here in Canada (read arctic circle) we only have a few days of daylight a year and need the DRL's during those few days with our low ambient light. And, of course, most of the time we can't get the car out of the igloo anyway so we travel by snow shoe.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:56 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by bluenose
Yes, 'your-_mon, here in Canada (read arctic circle) we only have a few days of daylight a year and need the DRL's during those few days with our low ambient light. And, of course, most of the time we can't get the car out of the igloo anyway so we travel by snow shoe.
That is sort of what he made it sound like, isn't it? Don't forget when you're travelling by snow shoe to carry your flashlight, running at 75% intensity. It's safer that way.

I'm adding a DRL module to my 02 TL. I think it looks good.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
How did acura implement their DRLs? Because I hate Toyota's implementation. At least with GM's implementation, the headlights automatically turn on when it gets dark. But I see lots of Toyota owners driving around at night with just their DRLs on.

Not sure about disabling Acura's DRLs, but if it's wired the same as GMs... Pulling the fuse, will cause the entire auto-headlight system to shut-down. There is a separate DRL diode under the driver-side dash. Pulling this diode will disable just the DRLs.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:00 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Originally Posted by your_mom
DRLs are stupid and pointless in the continental US. And they look super gay.

The science shows DRLs improve safety in Sweden, Canada, and other places in the arctic circle, where ambient light is limited. South of the 49th parallel, the improvment in safety is minimal according to the science.

I suspect putting down the cell phone, blackberry, burger, latte, or newspaper and DRIVING would have a much more impressive effect on safety than DRLs.
At least we Eskimos could afford a basic education !

Quick Reply: Any way to turn off the DRLs?