Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to turn off the DRLs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Couldn't be happier!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
How did acura implement their DRLs? Because I hate Toyota's implementation. At least with GM's implementation, the headlights automatically turn on when it gets dark. But I see lots of Toyota owners driving around at night with just their DRLs on.

Not sure about disabling Acura's DRLs, but if it's wired the same as GMs... Pulling the fuse, will cause the entire auto-headlight system to shut-down. There is a separate DRL diode under the driver-side dash. Pulling this diode will disable just the DRLs.

I simply pulled the fuse labeled 'DRL' and it only turned off the DRL's and not the auto feature. The HID's come on just like they did before.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:13 AM
2nd Gear

Cool Doesn't bother me

The DRLs really don't bother me at all. I forget that they are there because I can't see them when I am behind the wheel. The only thing that I am concerned about is the fact that I work on a military installation. They request that you turn off your head lights when entering the base at night. As of yet, I haven't had to go on base at night but I was curious how I should handle it if I did. According to what I have read on the threads, a fuse can be pulled to disable the lights. I guess I will try that if I have to.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
How did acura implement their DRLs? Because I hate Toyota's implementation. At least with GM's implementation, the headlights automatically turn on when it gets dark. But I see lots of Toyota owners driving around at night with just their DRLs on.

Not sure about disabling Acura's DRLs, but if it's wired the same as GMs... Pulling the fuse, will cause the entire auto-headlight system to shut-down. There is a separate DRL diode under the driver-side dash. Pulling this diode will disable just the DRLs.
Toyotas turn the lights on automatically if its set to AUTO.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
DRLs

After reading this thread I think I understand part of the position about LEO's and DRLs. I have always heard (and logically it makes sense) that a speeding car with DRLs is easier to spot by a LEO who is observing traffic from the front. They can easily track the lights moving back and forth between lanes or they just catch the eye and cause you to be noticed more easily.

The real issue seems to be that DRLs can get you noticed more easily if you are speeding in traffic. Personally, I'd rather not have them for that reason, but that alone won't influence any purchase decision that I make.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by NewTL2007
The only trouble I see with DRLs is to forgetting to turn on regular HIDs at night/dusk.
Just set your headlights to AUTO and forget about them and the DRLs.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mike03a3
Just set your headlights to AUTO and forget about them and the DRLs.
I thought "Auto" on Acura just meant auto-off? Did acura change this? On my Pontiac and Infiniti, auto means that if it's daylight out, the lights stay off. If it's dark, they come on.

I could've sworn on Acura, Auto means the lights are always on whenever the ignition is on, and off 20 seconds after ignition is shut-off?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:52 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I thought "Auto" on Acura just meant auto-off? Did acura change this? On my Pontiac and Infiniti, auto means that if it's daylight out, the lights stay off. If it's dark, they come on.

I could've sworn on Acura, Auto means the lights are always on whenever the ignition is on, and off 20 seconds after ignition is shut-off?
Nope. Auto means there's a light sensor on the dash that turns the headlights on/off based on the environment. It's neat driving through tunnels and such... but I don't like it much on the Odyssey, it seems to come on a bit "late", as in when it's dusk, and I want my headlights on... it waits anotehr 20 minutes for the sun to set.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Pro

yeah i got a lex and i can turn mine off
Old 02-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
im pretty sure its illegal to remove drl's in Canada, if the car came like that from the factory, becuase i think they started becoming standard and manditory in all new cars in the mid 90's (i dont remember when).

i have no problems with them whatsoever. Actually, when i was learing how to drive, i went to Young Drivers, and they suggest i drive with my full headlights on during the day (not meaning my hibeams), so that my rear lights turn on. I never bothered with it even though i know its more safe to do so.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenose
Yes, 'your-_mon, here in Canada (read arctic circle) we only have a few days of daylight a year and need the DRL's during those few days with our low ambient light. And, of course, most of the time we can't get the car out of the igloo anyway so we travel by snow shoe.
ahahha.. bluenose ahhaa lets just hope hope its just the way "your_mom" wrote it...

otherwise, i would like to point out that there's a big ass chunk of the US which is farther north than southern state of Ontario. We're also not all eskimos. there are quite a few columbians that come to canada from British Columbia.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:05 PM
10th Gear

on my weekend car, a vw, i took out the headlight switch, put some electrical tape over the pin that was labeled TFL, which i guess i german is close to what DRL is for us, and no more lights. i'm sure some of you electrical guys here can figure out the same thing. may be a little tougher because the switch is on the stalk, but it can probably be figured out so you wont have the light on the dash.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't mind DRL's, but what I don't like is permanent auto-lights.

I have an S10 pickup that has DRL's in the day and automatically turn on the headlights at night. Most of the time this is not a problem, but I always felt bad when I pulled in to a base and my headlights were glaring in the guards eyes. You are supposed to turn your lights to "parking" mode when going through.

There is a switch on the dashboard, but it doesn't do anything except turn on the headlights (not parking lights) in the day.

Somebody once told me there is a "code" to disable them with the switch, but it never worked for me...
Old 03-11-2007, 09:51 AM
7th Gear

Drl

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
That is sort of what he made it sound like, isn't it? Don't forget when you're travelling by snow shoe to carry your flashlight, running at 75% intensity. It's safer that way.

I'm adding a DRL module to my 02 TL. I think it looks good.
I finally found what I was looking for, how do I ADD the DRL to my 04 TL? I want them on in the daytime and I also want to see my NAVI. Is there something I can buy and install that will allow just the headlights or fog lights to come on during the day?
Old 03-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can disable the DRL.. i got the electrical diagrams =)

u can simply by pass the module =)

see how u guys want it.. i can post it up =)
Old 03-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Ev an' Tec

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 767bill
I finally found what I was looking for, how do I ADD the DRL to my 04 TL? I want them on in the daytime and I also want to see my NAVI. Is there something I can buy and install that will allow just the headlights or fog lights to come on during the day?
There are other threads on how to add DRLs to the TLs before 2007. There are some aftermarket kits people have installed with varying degrees of success. Do a search on Daytime Running Lights.

I did a quick Search and found this one, for a $29 kit.
It even includes pics.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136827