Another TL vs. 530i thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Another TL vs. 530i thread

This one comes from bimmer.org.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e60/5233158-1.html

The E60 in the first post claims to have been left in the wake of an '04 TL AND his wife's Accord(!!!!?), and goes on to complain about quality issues in his $50k + car. Further, other BMW owners agree to their quality issues and that a TL, and even a 330i can best the 530i.

Yet another example of "all cars have problems"...either that or the guy was really a troll on a BMW site. Enjoy! I thought the 530i was a decent car.....I've seen some in real life and changed my mind--thought they were ugly at first, but they look quite good in real life.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:04 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
hmmmm...no matter how many thread are there with problems with BMW. There are brand conscious people who will always think that BMW is better than Acura and Acura is not close to BMW in "luxury". It is amazing how people are taken by the marketing and do not really compare two automobiles in same category. If they are brand conscious I can understand, but if they say it's more luxury and more value it is BS.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:23 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
People used to think Cadillac was a luxury brand. Even my mother at 65 spoke up out of the blue saying she thought Acura made a really good car. Note at the time I'm driving her in the 740i. The old 5 series was a good car. BMW should have streamlined it and made it a better value to compete. The current marketing strategy is make the boost 7series sales by making the 5 even worse. I think the new 5 is a sales bomb. Does anyone have the sales increase of decrease figures on the new model.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha he bought the Cheap Version of the 5 series DUH. Get the 545i not the womans version 530i
Old 06-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Intermediate

Most German cars are having quality issues these days. Not so much the vehicle itself but more along the lines of the electrical aspects of the vehicle. The problem is that the German auto makers are installing state of the art devices/gadgets that is very new technology. Auto manufacturers like Lexus go with what works, that is why Lexus, Acura and other Japanese manufacturers are among the best in quality and has maintained high ranks in quality and owner satisfaction. As for performance, BMW is among the best in that catagory. Its truly a driving experience if you have ever owned or driven one for an extended period of time. The BMW's handling is as if you are glued to the road, their engines are the very smooth and refined, and their trannies are among the best. I love my TL but lets be real...

Value
TL>BMW

Performance
BMW<TL
Old 06-22-2004, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by geminis2
Haha he bought the Cheap Version of the 5 series DUH. Get the 545i not the womans version 530i
Sigh. A cheap 525 is more than any TL. There is no "cheap" 5 price wise. Now if we talk features, that is another debate.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:20 AM
You touch my tra la la...

Originally Posted by OuTLAw4422
Value
TL>BMW

Performance
BMW<TL
You just said the TL is better in both respects.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by GaleForce
You just said the TL is better in both respects.
thats what he meant
Old 06-22-2004, 01:59 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by neuronbob
This one comes from bimmer.org.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e60/5233158-1.html

The E60 in the first post claims to have been left in the wake of an '04 TL AND his wife's Accord(!!!!?), and goes on to complain about quality issues in his $50k + car. Further, other BMW owners agree to their quality issues and that a TL, and even a 330i can best the 530i.

Yet another example of "all cars have problems"...either that or the guy was really a troll on a BMW site. Enjoy! I thought the 530i was a decent car.....I've seen some in real life and changed my mind--thought they were ugly at first, but they look quite good in real life.
Let me start this off by saying that the E60 board on roadfly is completely populated by trolls these days. Go to http://e60.doit.wisc.edu/forums or the bimmerfest.com forums if you want a real discussion concerning the E60s.

Having said that, I just purchased a 545i and completely love it, but that's just my opinion. YMMV. My brother, on the other hand, is also in the market for a car, but doesn't want to spend that much. Since I'm the "car guy" of my family, I researched what he could buy for around $30K, and quite frankly, I can't think of a car better than the TL (I didn't even consider the TL until I saw the trolls on the E60 board posting about it). Yes, there's some torque steer, and I'm not a big fan of high-torque coupled with FWD, but quite frankly, I can't think of a better car for the price. And most importantly, I had a big grin on my face at the conclusion of my test drive in the Acura. The last time that happened to me was when I test drove the 545i for the first time ... so I feel pretty solid in recommending the TL to my brother.

As for direct comparisons between the 5er and the TL -- I think the interior's a tie between the two. The 5er's interior is spartan and cold and, for me, is the biggest turn-off on the whole car. The TL's, on the other hand, looks like the interior of a spruced up Accord -- as I also own an Accord, I can tell that some of the interior switches seem to have been cannibalized from that car. As for the driving dynamics, I think the BMW has a slight edge -- the 5er is nearly perfect in its handling (yes, I have active steering and I actually love it); the TL seemed pretty good, too, except for the fact that I almost understeered into a jersey barrier whilst accelerating out of a turn. With regard to acceleration, though I've been told that the 545i is slightly faster, I really couldn't tell from a "seat-of-the-pants" feel -- they felt equally fast and equally capable of landing me in some hot water! Finally, though I personally think the E60 is gorgeous, I know tons of people who disagree, and so I say, to each their own. But I think the TL has a much less controversial, more universally-appreciated design, and thus, I give the edge to the TL on this one.

But to conclude my post, all I can think is that the 545i is basically twice the price of a TL. Meanwhile, I'd rate the TL as having about 90% of the goodness of the 545i. I know the law of diminishing returns, but I have to say, it's a little ridiculous -- so kudos to all you TL owners. Hopefully, when my brother's TL arrives, I'll be able to post a more reasoned post comparing the two vehicles.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:19 AM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Sounds like fun if you were a BMW salesperson.

“Take a look at this 545i for comparison it’s 10% better than a TL and only twice the price. Granted it’s not much fun to drive when it snowing but the paint is top notch. Nevertheless, just buy the 745i over here because it basically and upgraded version of the 545i in every way and no one will think you cheaped out and bought a 5 series.”