3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another llumar tint thread...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well what a HORROR STORY. I called and spoke with the tinter...I told him about the issue and he said with your car, that's as far as the tint can go and that is how he does all of the honda accords with the same windows. I continued goin back and forth with him telling him it can be done and he resisted again and again. He told me there is nothing that can be done about it and that he doesn't have time to argue with me. FACK. I guess my only option now is to find a different shop that uses the same film to correct his mistake. Oh yeah and he told me if I remove the glass and take it to him, he can tint all the way to the edge. Wow i'm pissed and this place left a SOUR taste in my mouth............... I think I have to suffer my loss and pay somebody else to do them the right way. I don't ever want to go back there. Damn I hate people.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Instructor

I called another place in town and was told there is no way to get behind there without picking up dirt and such. WTF????? Strike 2
Old 07-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear they are giving you such a hard time. I'm going today to get it done and I'll try to post a pic if I can figure out how to post pics. Any time I get screwed over I contact the BBB and tell the store that I'll post my experience online through message boards and online phone books. They usually don't want the bad press and can't afford it. Search the gallery for tinted cars. You may want to check shades of greys online gallery too. good luck
Old 07-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Is it really hard to get behind there or something? I called a third place and the guy was actually very nice for a change. He said for those windows its a big pain and usually the best bet is to remove the glass but he was like....if you've seen them done before and done without removing the glass then I could probably get it done but that I should stop by with my car so he could take a look. He was completely right saying most in and out tint shops only have an hour and a half to tint your car and don't take the time to get those windows done the right way. This guy seems like a stand up guy that would take the time out of his busy day to make me happy. I think i'm gonna call him back in a bit.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:40 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
The guy that tinted my windows worked out of his garage, so I stuck around and watched and chatted with him while he worked. I asked him tinting under the gasket for those small windows and he said it was not a problem at all. He just spayed the tinting solution around the gasket and slide the tint right under. I was very picky about the type of tinting and the tinter person doing the work. I wanted to make sure it was done right and I wanted to watch. I would not go to a place where I drop off the car without being able to watch and talk with the tint person.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Instructor

I've been talking to ^^ your guy about redoing those quarters. I showed him pics and he said it drives him nuts seeing work like that and he's currently checking if he can get some ATR film to fix it for me. If he can get the film, i'll be there tomorrow morning. He is bending over backwards trying to do whatever he can to help me out. He definitely cares for a customer...
Old 07-10-2009, 12:39 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NWI_#73
I've been talking to ^^ your guy about redoing those quarters. I showed him pics and he said it drives him nuts seeing work like that and he's currently checking if he can get some ATR film to fix it for me. If he can get the film, i'll be there tomorrow morning. He is bending over backwards trying to do whatever he can to help me out. He definitely cares for a customer...
Yep, he fixed those windows for JTS97Z28 as well.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
You should take it back once its fixed and tell him that he should refund you a portion of your money if he wants to avoid bad press. I'd try to get back $50 bux atleast.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Sorry not the greatest pic (30% back half) but they did it right. The installer said some people just don't want to take the time to do it.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Instructor

That's a perfect picture and perfect example that it can be done. Thanks twopu
Old 07-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by twopu
Sorry to hear they are giving you such a hard time. I'm going today to get it done and I'll try to post a pic if I can figure out how to post pics. Any time I get screwed over I contact the BBB and tell the store that I'll post my experience online through message boards and online phone books. They usually don't want the bad press and can't afford it. Search the gallery for tinted cars. You may want to check shades of greys online gallery too. good luck
What does the BBB usually do? Is it even worth contacting them? I am writing a heated letter to the crappy shop that tinted my windows and am referencing another shop that said he can tint the qtr windows no problem. I am requesting compensation for material and labor but should I get the BBB involved too? Just curious.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Hah...just looked and found out they are not a member of the better business bureau. So much for that. I'm going directly after them.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Racer

I stopped by a local place last week inquiring about getting mine done and they told me that they would be able to get the tint behind the trim without a problem. Did you mention anything to them about the rear windows when dropping the car off?

I'd do a search on here and take 10+ pics with you and nicely request them to redo them. Setup a time where you are able to stay with the car...it shouldn't take more than 20minutes.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajs800
I stopped by a local place last week inquiring about getting mine done and they told me that they would be able to get the tint behind the trim without a problem. Did you mention anything to them about the rear windows when dropping the car off?

I'd do a search on here and take 10+ pics with you and nicely request them to redo them. Setup a time where you are able to stay with the car...it shouldn't take more than 20minutes.
Yes I specifically requested it before I made an appt. to take my car there. She reassured me it wouldn't be a problem. I'm not having them redo them since all members of their staff proceeded to tell me they could not do it. I offered to email some pictures to the window tinter and he said no that's ok. I will not take my car there in fear of having it intentionally damaged. I just want their money so I can have them re done.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Instructor

The BBB will contact the store to try to mediate the problem. They will then post their results of the mediation on their website (good or bad). This allows consumers researching a business extra information to determine if they would like to use them. Any negative remarks may deter people. I don't believe you have to be a member for the BBB to get involved. I would submit it to them anyone. Not everyone checks the BBB but if I were a shop and a consumer threatened a complaint I would at least hear them out and try to resolve it. Good luck!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NWI_#73
Yes I specifically requested it before I made an appt. to take my car there. She reassured me it wouldn't be a problem. I'm not having them redo them since all members of their staff proceeded to tell me they could not do it. I offered to email some pictures to the window tinter and he said no that's ok. I will not take my car there in fear of having it intentionally damaged. I just want their money so I can have them re done.

Given what you're saying, I wouldn't let them touch the car either.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 AM
Instructor

I am going to threaten lawsuit in a letter sent to the owner of the business with the help of a family attorney. Hopefully the threat gives them initiative to work to a resolution with me.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

^^ Is it really worth the ageda? I mean I know exactly what you are feeling because I have been in your situation on a few circumstances.. but sometimes its just easier to let it go and bash them on the web every chance you get. Probably hurt them more in the long run for their business practices.

Either way its up to you.. at the end its just more ageda for you not to mention at most they going to refund you $50.. you get what I mean?

Ne wayz.. to get those two panels re-done shouldn't be more than $50 to $75.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
^^ Is it really worth the ageda? I mean I know exactly what you are feeling because I have been in your situation on a few circumstances.. but sometimes its just easier to let it go and bash them on the web every chance you get. Probably hurt them more in the long run for their business practices.

Either way its up to you.. at the end its just more ageda for you not to mention at most they going to refund you $50.. you get what I mean?

Ne wayz.. to get those two panels re-done shouldn't be more than $50 to $75.
I don't think it will be much hassle on my end unless this ends up in court which I don't think will happen (hopefully). I already have the letter written out and am awaiting it being sent by the law office. I would imagine they will send me the $100 and call it a day and not have to deal with this any longer. I was quoted $50 to have the windows stripped and retinted. It's more the concept that is eating at me rather than the cost. The fact of the matter is that their customer service is piss poor and their business practices are poor. Believe me I will badmouth them whenever and wherever I can.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Instructor

dj5 - Your guy Greg at Quality tinting is the MAN. He is getting some ATR30 specifically for me and is going to retint my windows for me on a SUNDAY. What a guy!! Damn it's nearly impossible to find customer service like this anymore. Here is a link to his website in case anybody in the chicagoland area is looking for a stand up guy that uses quality llumar film http://www.qualitywindowtints.com/
Will post before and after pictures once he fixes the original fukk up.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Instructor

So today is the 11th day of having the tint on and i'm still gunshy to open my windows
Old 07-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

^^ Y ? I dont understand?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Advanced

I have the ATR30 Charcoal all around in my 05 TL. My tint shop did the same poor job on the rear quarters. I haven't pursued the matter with them though I am not happy with it either. I was curious if they tinted under your brake light on the rear window. They took off my door panels during installation and it has not scratched in about 3+ years of use. I think AM radio reception was diminished but FM and GPS work fine.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:37 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Yep, they should tint under the brake light on the rear window. No reason for them to take off the door panels unless they are installing felt/moleskin to prevent the tint from getting scratched. If they didn't tint under the gasket on the rear quarters or under the brake light then you got a poor tint job.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
^^ Y ? I dont understand?
Dunno
Old 07-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zoser
I have the ATR30 Charcoal all around in my 05 TL. My tint shop did the same poor job on the rear quarters. I haven't pursued the matter with them though I am not happy with it either. I was curious if they tinted under your brake light on the rear window. They took off my door panels during installation and it has not scratched in about 3+ years of use. I think AM radio reception was diminished but FM and GPS work fine.
Yes they tinted under the third brake light.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Advanced

My tint shop said that it would not scratch IF they remove the door panels during installation and indeed I have no scratches. I do keep my windows clean so I'm not sure if this claim is true. He did not have any TL's returned for scratches using his method he said. I did buy the moleskin after installation but never go around to installing it. I was going to soundproof my doors at the same time.

Great. I got boned on the third brake light too.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Instructor

I finally opened the windows and the cut lines look decent but coulda been better.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Advanced

My shop used a computer to cut the film so I'm not sure there was any cutting involved on mine. I haven't opened up the doors to see.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Same with my guy.. computer laser cut... goes right to the F'n edges.. looks like factory tinted glass... no film. Very happy with my installer.. which is why I've been going to him for 10 years now. LoL
Old 07-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Instructor

I'm going to greg's place Sunday to get the tint fixed!! W000t!! I can't wait to get my crap job fixed
Old 07-27-2009, 05:50 AM
Instructor

Turned out great!! Took about 45 minutes to strip and retint the quarters. With the right tools, he made it look really easy to get behind the gasket stuff. I honestly can't believe it wasn't done correctly in the first place....if they are able to get the rest of the windows done right there is no excuse to not do these right.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dj5
Make sure your tint person tints behind the gasket in the small rear window in the back doors.
+1

I wish I would have known about this before I had it done because I love the way my tint looks, but thats one thing that bothers me about it.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Yep once you notice it, you'll never forget it. It bothered the hell out of me.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Advanced

What tools did he use so that other tint shops/TL owners might learn from this?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Instructor

oh that was a lazy tint job
i had same thing
but hell no i went and had it redone
Old 07-28-2009, 05:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zoser
What tools did he use so that other tint shops/TL owners might learn from this?
They looked like a standard window tinters tools. THe plastic card looking pieces cut into different shapes to push behind the gasket. I don't know much about tinting so that's as far as I can explain sorry.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Rice and Crackers...

Hello All. Going to get my 07 CBP (black interior) TLS tinted tomorrow morning. I am thinking I will get 30% all around.

So from reading this post I need to do the following up front?
-Make sure they are capable of tinting all the way behind the back gasket
-Make sure they plan to tint under the rear brake light?

Anything else? Is the sunroof usually part of a normal price quote? Is it necessary to tint it?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Bump my own thread. Do the 4gen TL's suffer from the same tint concern? Do I need to specify to my window tint guy tomorrow in regards to this? Tinting my 2010 tomorrow AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Instructor

anyone?

Quick Reply: Another llumar tint thread...