am I stupid

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004 | 05:12 PM
Intermediate

am I stupid

Am I setting someone up?

here's the scoop, I need a four door to replace my 350 Z. I have a limited time to do it, by march. I decided I want a TL 6MT HPT in black/quartz. I could aslo be happy with anthrocite/ebony (or any combination). Problem is I cant seem to get one in time. I could have one built and wait 3 months for 32,198, but would have to rent a car for three months. I found an anthrocite/ebony WITH NAV which I got down to 34,984. don't need the nav but might be cool.

realizing that I used the how NOT to negociate technique ( fall in love with a certain color and option that is in low supply in a hot car and leave no time to order the car), AM I a total idiot to take the car?
Old 01-14-2004 | 05:17 PM
Team Anthracite President

Take the Navi, I gaurentee you'll never buy a car without one again!

Mike Smeezy

PS. Your not stupid, just a little slow (j/k)
Old 01-14-2004 | 05:22 PM
Racer

given your situation, that isn't bad. why not just bluff though? besides, i'm sure you could get one from another state or something which would still be better than renting a car for 3mos.
Old 01-14-2004 | 05:23 PM
Banned

Agreed, the navigation is worth EVERY penny!

I was not a navi person, but with all the features, voice commands, XM extra info on songs, and the apearance, I am glad I switched!
Old 01-14-2004 | 05:26 PM
Pro

Re: am I stupid

Originally posted by goofy md
Am I setting someone up?

here's the scoop, I need a four door to replace my 350 Z. I have a limited time to do it, by march. I decided I want a TL 6MT HPT in black/quartz. I could aslo be happy with anthrocite/ebony (or any combination). Problem is I cant seem to get one in time. I could have one built and wait 3 months for 32,198, but would have to rent a car for three months. I found an anthrocite/ebony WITH NAV which I got down to 34,984. don't need the nav but might be cool.

realizing that I used the how NOT to negociate technique ( fall in love with a certain color and option that is in low supply in a hot car and leave no time to order the car), AM I a total idiot to take the car?
How about driving couple days to a place where you can buy the car for $1,500 less than you're being offered AND have it today? Any dealer in a NORMAL area has at least 10 non-NAVI TLs in stock and is willing to discount couple thousand off MSRP. California is not that far. You can fly there for $100 and then drive your new car back.
Old 01-14-2004 | 05:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: am I stupid

Originally posted by dulnev
How about driving couple days to a place where you can buy the car for $1,500 less than you're being offered AND have it today? Any dealer in a NORMAL area has at least 10 non-NAVI TLs in stock and is willing to discount couple thousand off MSRP. California is not that far. You can fly there for $100 and then drive your new car back.
agreed, look at different dealers. i would pick up the phone and call around
Old 01-14-2004 | 05:52 PM
Intermediate

am I stupid

Am I setting someone up?

Old 01-14-2004 | 05:59 PM
Intermediate

I actually tried a few surrounding states(California, Navada, New Mexico) and could only find ONE (in las vegas-actually he did a six state search and only found onewhich he was going to trade for)he wants 33,000 plus they added a spoiler and extras the he wants me to pay for. so I think I'm better with about 35 and the nav.
Old 01-14-2004 | 06:17 PM
Instructor

You gotta deal w/where you find yourself...its the cost of falling in love. "No option" is an easy choice. Do it, have fun, and never look back.
Old 01-14-2004 | 07:23 PM
Racer

Contact Chad Brockshimidt at Beaudry Acura in Tucson... If you don't mind driving. They had 5 or 6 cars on the lot on Monday one 6spd I cant remember the color though. his # 520-748-2000.
Old 01-14-2004 | 07:31 PM
rarely registered user

Of course you could always buy a $200 piece of crap to drive for a few months while you wait for your new TL. Maybe a 1978 Oldsmobile with a multicolored hood and bondo paint scheme.

Enjoy the trade in discussion on that beauty!

P.S. If you're already waiting, get the NAVI!!!!
Old 01-14-2004 | 07:51 PM
Instructor

NAVI, NAVI.....

Besides, it makes HFL more robust.
Old 01-14-2004 | 11:14 PM
Intermediate

When I first went to look at the TL and test drive it, I was somewhat undecided on the NAVI. I really didn't think I was going to take it.

Then I went on the test drive and the salesman demonstrated it and all the voice recognition features. It didn't take long to make that decision. Got the NAVI and don't regret it for a minute.

What also helped make the decision, like has been stated by others here, it is just plain ugly without the NAVI screen. The car was obviously designed for the NAVI and the non NAVI display is just filler space, and that is exactly what it looks like.
Old 01-15-2004 | 12:33 AM
Advanced

I wouldn't call the car with out Nav ugly, but the Nav looks better. Except maybe in direct sun, when you can't read the screen.
Old 01-15-2004 | 07:25 AM
Intermediate

count me in. after spending some more time on the board I decided I can't wait any longer. A bird in the hand ya know.

I guess I'm just too damn opinionated to just go to the dealers and get the best deal like your suppose to.
Old 01-15-2004 | 10:14 AM
Instructor

Are you kidding me? There are several people on this forum that are waiting up to 3 months for the Anth/Ebony/Navi. I'm amazed that there is one sitting on a lot in your area. My dealer has 2 of every color combination in non-navi, but none in navi.
Old 01-15-2004 | 10:24 AM
Intermediate

Anyone See this?? I have it bookmarked to see what he/she gets for it. (I have a similar machine....)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2454136890
Old 01-15-2004 | 12:56 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by technogeek
When I first went to look at the TL and test drive it, I was somewhat undecided on the NAVI. I really didn't think I was going to take it.

Then I went on the test drive and the salesman demonstrated it and all the voice recognition features. It didn't take long to make that decision. Got the NAVI and don't regret it for a minute.

What also helped make the decision, like has been stated by others here, it is just plain ugly without the NAVI screen. The car was obviously designed for the NAVI and the non NAVI display is just filler space, and that is exactly what it looks like.
Ever chance you guys get you dog out people's non-navi TL's as if they purchased an entirely different car. I would expect someone who has a G35 or 330 to come on here and say similar condescending remarks, not fellow TL owners.

Does the criticizing help you to justify spending the extra $3,000 + for Navi?(Yes, due to market conditions it's at least $3,000 more.)

The fact is, the majority of TL owners out there don't have Navi.(This is not due to the shortage.) I'm sure most of them, as myself, think the display looks fine and are enjoying their TL's as much as Navi owners.

I'm very very happy with my non-navi TL(It's my second non-navi TL.) and I have no regrets whatsoever. I'm not going to criticize people that bought Navi to make me feel even better about my purchase.

Keep in mind, a much higher percent of the people on this forum have Navi compared to the general population. So if people on here attempt to make you seem like an idiot for not buying Navi they are not the majority. The ratio is at least 10-1 in favor of people having Navi on this forum so you're getting biased opinions.
Old 01-15-2004 | 01:04 PM
Instructor

I don't think anyone is trying to dog you, Steve.

The point is that those that have purchased navi (even those who weren't sure at the time of purchase) have not only been pleased with their decision, but now can't figure out why they hesitated. Acura has taken navi technology a step further in the TL by integrating with bluetooth/HFL, which makes for a synergy some (including me) can't live without. Yes, there have been comments regarding the dash layout and its appearance without navi, but there have been as many comments regarding spoiler vs. non-spoiler and BSM vs. non-BSM.

Clearly, there is a $ premium, but if you keep the car 5 years, that works out to about $30/month. Not bad, I say.

Without going into a diatribe regarding what people ARE willing to spend money on, let's just say we are ALL passionate about our decisions. There might even be some rationalization that creeps into the threads every once in a while . . . .
Old 01-15-2004 | 01:56 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by drising

The point is that those that have purchased navi (even those who weren't sure at the time of purchase) have not only been pleased with their decision, but now can't figure out why they hesitated.

Clearly, there is a $ premium, but if you keep the car 5 years, that works out to about $30/month. Not bad, I say.

I understand your point. My point is this. If there was as many non-navi owners on this board as navi owners you would see as much praise by them regarding their choice.

By the way, at $3000 more for the Navi it would be about $50/month over 5 years.
Old 01-15-2004 | 02:01 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Steveb
at $3000 more for the Navi it would be about $50/month over 5 years.
It's a rough average. I was using the difference in price between what I would have paid at my dealership. Understood that it may be < or > depending on market/time of purchase.
Old 01-15-2004 | 02:10 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by drising
It's a rough average. I was using the difference in price between what I would have paid at my dealership. Understood that it may be < or > depending on market/time of purchase.
Right, I was able to get $2500 off of list for non-navi. I would have been lucky to get $1000 off on Navi. So for me, Navi would have cost $3500 more.
Old 01-15-2004 | 02:28 PM
Instructor

>>
Acura has taken navi technology a step further in the TL by integrating with bluetooth/HFL,
<<

Bluetooth/HFL comes with Non/Navi also.
Old 01-15-2004 | 02:45 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Motavar
[BBluetooth/HFL comes with Non/Navi also. [/B]
But with navi, you can call a restaurant you've pulled up to make reservations along with your directions. On the address screen, you simply press the image of the phone to call the restaurant.
Old 01-15-2004 | 10:19 PM
Intermediate

Steveb,

My intent was not to rag on the non-NAVI owners. I'm sorry if you took it that way. This thread was about someone deciding whether to purchase a car with NAVI or wait for a non-NAVI.

I gave my honest opinion. Originally, I was not planning on paying $2K more for the NAVI. After seeing both the features of the NAVI, and the looks of the non-NAVI, I made my decision. That was to go for the NAVI. I personally do not regret my decision in the least.

The non-NAVI TL is still a wonderful car. Yes, except for the features and looks the car is still the same car.

I did not pay $3.5K more for the NAVI. Like I've posted in other threads, I based what I paid on true dealer cost after holdback. I paid actually less than $2K as that is MSRP and I paid less than MSRP for the car.

I hope you enjoy your non-NAVI TL. You should, it is still a great car.

I would still recommend buying the NAVI TL. I know that I would make the same decision over again.

As for the comments about seeing the display in the daylight, I haven't had much of a problem. I admit, I haven't tried it with the sun roof open at high noon in the middle of a Florida summer. That will be the real test