Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 01:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I paranoid?

Well guys, just picked up my NBP/Ebony navi 5AT last night and I'm just paranoid as hell. I don't get low jack installed until tomorrow. The reason I'm so paranoid now is because my last car was a 2000 Civic SI that got stolen in December and found stripped 2 weeks later. I was looking at the TL last night and thought to myself, damn, those headlights look great and they're HIDS. I've been reading horror stories of peoples HIDS getting stole off Maximas and 2nd gen TLs. So, does anyone know how hard it would be for theives to get our headlights? Damn, we can't have nice cars anymore. I blame this on that damn FAST and FURIOUS CRAP!
Old 02-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Sweet as Gold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't say until they start getting ripped off. The reason everyone was jacking the maxima headlights is becasue it was so damn easy!!! They also pretty much slowed down on the second gen tl's becasue it was soo easy to rip off the maxima. Don't worry about it too much and definitly get the low-jack!!
Old 02-15-2004, 01:51 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do what I did, sleep in the TL for first week.

BTW, it's not that easy to take the headlights out.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Instructor

I had LoJack in a 92 AWD Turbo Talon. Can't remember what it cost. Is LoJack really expensive?
Craig
Old 02-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Intermediate

I don't know... i just bought it at the dealer for 995 with the early warning system and money back warranty if my car gets stolen and doesn't get recovered in 24 hrs...
Old 02-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure I'd want my TL back if it was stolen, God only knows what those theives do to your car when they've got it. Guess I've watched too many episodes of "COPS".
Old 02-15-2004, 02:27 PM
Racer

Re: Am I paranoid?

Originally posted by Pakman
Damn, we can't have nice cars anymore. I blame this on that damn FAST and FURIOUS CRAP!
Personally, I blame it on the way many parents are raising kids these days. Basically, the kids are in charge, not the parents. The purpose of the parent's lives becomes taking the kids places, buying things for them (every video/computer thing they want, BMW at 16), and defending them from the big, bad world so the kids have no responsibility for their actions. They can get A's and B's in school without doing homework, and without actually learning anything. The kids have never worked a day in their lives, and many don't even do chores around home. Example 2 houses down from me: Snow was deep, Mom got stuck in the driveway. Two teens that lived there and 2 friends just stood there 15 feet away and watched Mom try to rock her way out and then dig her way out. Kids didn't offer to help and Mom didn't ask. They also don't do yardwork, toss beer bottles into the street in the neighborhood, etc. I'm seeing all that as very typical. The result is teens and young adults with an entitlement attitude that have been protected from the real world their whole lives. Entitlement to your headlights is part of it. The parents end up afraid of the kids (former little darlings who can't be spoiled too much).

[step off soapbox here}

Really, all we can do is keep our eyes open, and take advantage of alarm and LoJack technology if crime is bad where you live.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:09 PM
Racer

Originally posted by synoil
I had LoJack in a 92 AWD Turbo Talon. Can't remember what it cost. Is LoJack really expensive?
Craig
My dealer offered 550 for basic and lifetime guarantee and 250 more for early warning notification. Even at this price I'm sure they made a nice profit. Shop around, price is negotiable. I passed on the early warning notification. It’s a good option but I got no room on my keychain for that black box.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Intermediate

Hybrid: I totally agree with your assessments. Most kids today reach age of 18 and have not heard one word in their lives. That word is "NO".

Everything is delivered to kids on Silver Platter and consequently they are over indulged and then they become unappreciative and unrespectfull to other people’s property.

The problem are parents. Many people become parent, without having qualification for it.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:55 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

I got my Accord stolen with Lo-Jack and got recovered 12 hours later with no seats, no air bags, no door panels...
(thus totalled by the insurance co) , total p.o.s.

Police said they don't have enough people with lo-jack trackers in their units so it takes them time to find the cars, manwhile they are vandalizing it and selling their goods.

A better solution is a Car-Tracker with GPS that allows you to track your car in real-time and call the police to go get it fast.
It shows your car moving on a map on a web-page in real-time.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:32 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I had my 00 civic si stolen also a few years back luckily it was recovered, seen them drive away with it. That particular civic as we know was a very rare car, it was also the most stolen vehicle in the 2 years it was out. This is not the case for the TL, so you have a better chance of it not being stolen, but still just be aware of where your car is at all times, if its parked for long peroids of time try and check on it, otherwise good luck and enjoy the new ride.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Banned

the new headlights are better integrated into the body, therefore, they're much harder to remonve without desstroying them.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by vtechbrain
the new headlights are better integrated into the body, therefore, they're much harder to remonve without desstroying them.
That's good to hear. Maybe I can sleep better at night now. Now I gotta watch out for all the haters out there that just wanna vandalize your car.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:39 PM
Advanced

I know that a good thief can steal anything, but what about the talk from the dealers that you can't start the car without the key?

Is that just sales talk or is there any truth to it? I suppose hot wiring is still hot wiring so maybe nothing has changed, but I just thought I would ask.

I don't remember reading posts about any stolen 2004 TL's (knock on wood) unless I just missed them.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Racer

Did anyone install a hood lock?
Old 02-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by NOX 3.2
I got my Accord stolen with Lo-Jack and got recovered 12 hours later with no seats, no air bags, no door panels...
(thus totalled by the insurance co) , total p.o.s.

Police said they don't have enough people with lo-jack trackers in their units so it takes them time to find the cars, manwhile they are vandalizing it and selling their goods.

A better solution is a Car-Tracker with GPS that allows you to track your car in real-time and call the police to go get it fast.
It shows your car moving on a map on a web-page in real-time.
NOX 3.2 -- what is the website? How much does this cost? The reason I ask is for a TOTALLY different use -- to track my 16 year old daughter in my old car once I get my TL! I'm a little worried about a beautiful 16 yr tooling around in a car. Maybe I'm just being paranoid...:o
Old 02-16-2004, 06:09 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
My accord was stolen about year and half or 2 years ago, was recovered after 2 days... no front and rear bumper, no speakers, no stereo, no cds/cassettes, no key ignition switch, thats about it, those things were missing... insurance didnt' total it...
then got into an accident in oct. 2003, got totaled.

btw none of that LoJack **** or GPS was on it
Old 02-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Question GPS Tracking & PowerLock systems...

Originally posted by wanta04tl
NOX 3.2 -- what is the website? How much does this cost? The reason I ask is for a TOTALLY different use -- to track my 16 year old daughter in my old car once I get my TL! I'm a little worried about a beautiful 16 yr tooling around in a car. Maybe I'm just being paranoid...:o

Either LoJack or GPS tracking are good, but the system working abilities may vary in different areas. I have a link you may like to take a look.

http://www.alarms.com/press/timeArticle.asp

On the left Navigation bars, you can see "Viper", "Clifford", and "Python" all have the similar GPS tracking system.

TO orange-man, check this out, you cannot start your car without the proper keys.

http://www.powerlock.jp/english/index.html

I don't know if this is as perfect as it said.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Team Nighthawk President

Pakman,
I live in the same area, had the same 2000 SI and the same issue...mine was stolen also. I feel your pain but you can't wrap the TL up in a bubble. Just enjoy it....