Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I a bad driver or what :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I a bad driver or what :(

Well, I got into another car accident I hate this so much. I must be a bad driver or something cause I have more accidents than anyone in my family Sorry for the long post, but I hate accidents

1st accident: I was driving my brothers 93 Lexus ES300, which had some nice wheels on it, and some guy pulled out right in front of me. I slammed on the brakes but, I still went straight into his fender. I felt terrible because my brother loved that car and he took really good care of it; But the only thing that happened to my brothers car was that his hood poped up a little.

2nd accident: I was driving a 1999 Honda Accord and I was in the Meijer parking lot. I began reversing, and as I got all the way out, I noticed that a lady behind me was reversing without looking back. I bagan to honk my horn, but she didnt hear me and she came right into my bumper. The damage was just some scuff marks on the bumper.

3rd accident: I was driving a 2005 Chrysler Town&Country that my dad had givin me to drive during my senior year of high school. How cool must I have been to be driving a minvan to school Talk about babe magnet. But anyways, I was comming back from the movies with a couple of friends and was traveling in the right lane. I was going around a curve that went to the left and some guy in the left lane began to come into my lane, which resulted in damage to the hole left side of my car.

4rth accident: This happened today. Im so upset right now, I cant believe it. I was driving my 2005 Acura TL and was on my way home from work I came to a stop light and stoped right behind a civic hatch which had some mods ot it. I was looking to my left at a IS300 and began to accelerate because I saw the IS300 accelerating. I was assuming traffic was moving but it wasnt As I saw that traffic was not moving, I slammed on the brakes, but my license plate went into the back of the civic's bumper. THANK, THANK, THANK GOD nothing happened to my car. Well, I think nothing happened to my car because my license plate hit his car. And pluse, I looked for any damage to my car but couldnt find any; hopefully (inshallah) there will be nothing else that pops up

Well, I guess in a way the front license plate does help

Just wanted to spill my heart out to you guys, thanks for reading
Old 03-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Instructor

i'm happy that everything is okay, and theres no damage to you or your car.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:02 PM
IM SLAMMED!!!!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow just your luck you tried to aviod jus about everi accident an still got into one lol ;] at least your fine
Old 03-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Banned

Looking at your age, that's reasonable actually. If you don't get any accidents you are abnormal... lol j/k.

I had lot of accidents and tickets when I was from 18 to 23. At my current age I got nuthin'.... zero accidents and zero tickets... so far.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I never got into an accident at that age range. I did once back up to a gas pump and dented my rear fender...my poor 95 mustang GT. Gave the Mustang to lil sis a few month later...Mustang Totaled.

Concentrate on your driving and keep ur eyes open.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Registered P.I.M.P

I've been in one accident but it was because of ice. Slid my volvo into the wheel of a jeep while turning into a plaza. No damage to either and since that happened I have changed my style of driving.

I watch out more for others and what they do. Stuff like not accelerating on a green until I know everyone is stopped. That has saved me about 3 times from getting hit by people running red lights. I swear I would be dead right now if I didn't do that. I don't care if the people behind me are in a rush.. I'm making sure.

I like to anticipate what other drivers really mean to do. A lot of the time I find that I was right in thinking what they really meant to do.

Kinda confusing but it has saved me a number of times.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by Knockz
I've been in one accident but it was because of ice. Slid my volvo into the wheel of a jeep while turning into a plaza. No damage to either and since that happened I have changed my style of driving.

I watch out more for others and what they do. Stuff like not accelerating on a green until I know everyone is stopped. That has saved me about 3 times from getting hit by people running red lights. I swear I would be dead right now if I didn't do that. I don't care if the people behind me are in a rush.. I'm making sure.

I like to anticipate what other drivers really mean to do. A lot of the time I find that I was right in thinking what they really meant to do.

Kinda confusing but it has saved me a number of times.
Yeah, anticipation of others' moves and awareness of your environment are key elements to staying out of accidents. The only two accidents I've been in have been the result of other peoples' bad driving. One person took a left turn into me while I was driving straight when we both had green lights while driving through an intersection. The other involved a guy rear-ending me because he was looking over his shoulder while trying to change out of our lane and didn't realize my car was stopped.

Neither of those happened in my TL, though, fortunately!

Oh and to answer your question, shayan, no you're not a bad driver just because you've been in "so many" accidents at your age. I'd consider you to be unlucky more than anything, at least based on your descriptions of the incidents.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:46 PM
2006 TL

Originally Posted by meowCat
Looking at your age, that's reasonable actually. If you don't get any accidents you are abnormal... lol j/k.

I had lot of accidents and tickets when I was from 18 to 23. At my current age I got nuthin'.... zero accidents and zero tickets... so far.
So it's reasonable to have 4 incidents @ 20?! I've had 0. I'm 20.

I wouldn't necessarily call you a bad driver. Maybe a bad LUCK driver lol. Glad your TL's OK
Old 03-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Your a bad driver.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

oooo that reminds me yesterday, I was pulling out from school onto the road. I was turning left and there was two lanes on the right of incomming traffic. Well on the very right lane there were three cars comming, the two in front had their turn signals on, and I was waiting for the one in front to start turning before I turned left, he began to turn so I turned left. However, the third car following decided he didnt want to wait and turned into the other lane and speed up pass the two cars that were turning, WE BARELY MISSED each other! If we hit I had no idea whose fault that would be, I believe it would be his but not sure. Anyways thank god we didnt hit! I always learn from my close calls and remember them for the future. Maybe this helps you.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:27 PM
checkmate...

You need to learn defensive driving, and quick.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mr.motoring
You need to learn defensive driving, and quick.
I second that!

I always think of my defensive driving instructor saying that any accident you get in is essentially your fault. Obviously that's not 100% true, but what he was saying is that you have to be fully aware of your surroundings, always leaving yourself an "out" . . . etc. Basically concentrate on your surroundings, read other cars "body language", stuff like that . . . basic defensive driving techniques.

Knock on wood, I'm going on 32 and have never had an accident.

-Brian

edit: I should add that I'm a fairly "aggressive" driver. Defensive, but aggressive
Old 03-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
drive with caution =)

i couldn't imagine what would've happened if i didn't assume things would happen on the highway... and stop lights..

every time.. it was like near misses...

seeing the car infront of me get hit by someone running a red light...

seeing a woman that didn't check blind spot hitting a guy behind me,..
Old 03-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Ur Mutha She Stinks!!

i used to think that. i have 3 accidents which resulted in 2 totaled cars under my belt. Every accident i was found to be not at fault. nut i still get raped by insurance.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Undercover Slacker

Originally Posted by shayan
I was looking to my left at a IS300 and began to accelerate because I saw the IS300 accelerating. I was assuming traffic was moving but it wasnt As I saw that traffic was not moving, I slammed on the brakes, but my license plate went into the back of the civic's bumper.
Glad you're OK, but since when can you assume that when the car next to you moves, you get to move?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:49 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Seems 50/50 to me that they were entirely your fault. So that's 2 accidents for sure plus the very increased probability (since there are 4 total and you are only 20) that the other 2 had something to do with your driving so yes, you are a bad driver.

Other things to look for:

Do you notice dark clouds overhead all the time ?
Do pedestrians jump into the nearest dumpster as you approach ?
Old 03-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the helpful comments; You guys make me feel much better. Iam definitly gonna be more aware of my surroundings and not stop too close from the car in front of me, I think that was my problem and just the stupidity to assume that traffic has began to move.

I need your guys help. After I pulled over and saw the damage my license plate made to the guys car, the guy iimediatly said, "its not that bad, you wanna not go through insurance?" He went on to say " I just recently got my front bumper re-painted and it costed me $500. So, you wanna just pay the $500 out of pocket?" I tried to negotiate the price, but he did not budge. Is this guy trying to pull a quick one me?

This picture was right after the accident happened and we started driving off

These pictures are actual damage

The damage isnt that much.I dont think it is worth $50, thats for sure. How much could this possible be? Please help
Old 03-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Well the guy just called me and said that he got an estimate. The estimate came out to be $715.96 He said that they would replace the whole rear bumper because the bumper is plastic and it wont hold the bondo well. He continued to say, you can still give the $500 instead of paying that

Somebody please help
Old 03-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my front bumper repainted after hit and run parallel parking damage. It ran right around $500 at the dealer. Once you get into painting a bumper, I doubt if you are going to be able to do a quality job for significantly less. However, if repair can be done without repaint (buffing out, etc.) than costs which be a fraction. I cannot tell from the photo what level of repair would be required.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by azninvazion
i used to think that. i have 3 accidents which resulted in 2 totaled cars under my belt. Every accident i was found to be not at fault. nut i still get raped by insurance.
LOL Asians cant drive!! Just kidding! Just Kidding!
Old 03-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Banned

$715 sounds realistic considering replacing the bumper and repaint. If it was just a re-paint, usually run $200~ 300. Do they really have to change out the bumper though? It's hard to tell by looking at the pics.. Got money?
Old 03-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Well the guy just called me and said that he got an estimate. The estimate came out to be $715.96 He said that they would replace the whole rear bumper because the bumper is plastic and it wont hold the bondo well. He continued to say, you can still give the $500 instead of paying that

Somebody please help

Have him meet you at a shop of your choice and get an estimate there together. Then you talk.

Also the plate holder might have pushed into your bumper. Did you take off the plate when you inspected for damages?
Old 03-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline

Have him meet you at a shop of your choice and get an estimate there together. Then you talk.

Also the plate holder might have pushed into your bumper. Did you take off the plate when you inspected for damages?
I was checking behind the plate holder, and when the holder hit his car, it left a dent in my car I think I can get that out with paintless dent removel though
Old 03-21-2007, 05:45 PM
10th Gear

$500 is not bad, you can tell he likes and takes care of his car so he most likely knows what hes talking about. My moms MDX had a little scuff of the corner, $900+ to repaint it with no damgae to the bumper besides the paint.

But I understand your driving situation. I only got in one accident that totaled my 06 civic and it wasnt my fault I got rear ended. But I have friends who just cant stop getting damge on their cars even though they are good drivers. Just recently my girlfriend was backing out of her garage ( Its was cold and her garage door got stuck half way up) and she didnt see it and backed out her dads new lincoln MKZ right into it, $3,200 in damage.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

How does this look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-98...spagenameZWD1V

or, how about this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUMPE...hippingPayment

I know there feedback rating is pretty good, but I dont want to buy something and get stuck with it if it is the wrong thing. Has any body delt with either of these compaines?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:20 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man, you can not drive. You need to take some defensive driving courses

How the hell do you still have a license and insurances?

You need to get the hell off the street.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
He might not accept if you got him another bumper...especially if it after market.

If you decide to give him $500, make sure to have him sign some Doc...that said you paid him and such.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TL1999
man, you can not drive. You need to take some defensive driving courses

How the hell do you still have a license and insurances?

You need to get the hell off the street.
Thanks alot, Jackass
Old 03-21-2007, 09:47 PM
07 WDP Type S

Thanks alot, Jackass

shayan, u asked if you were a bad driver... u got ur answer.

and another thing "muslims do it 5 times a day"... Is that namaz o sex ??
Old 03-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Race Director

Well of all those accidents how many of those did the insurance actually say you where at fault?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Undercover Slacker

Somebody please help
i dunno if another bumper off ebay is going to do it. seemed like he was doing you a favor for not going through the insurance companies (you were at fault), and his $500 request isn't that outrageous. the way i see it, you have the following options:

1) get an estimate at the shop you get your work done (he has to agree to what exactly is being done),
2) pay him the $500 (make sure you get a signature from him saying you hit his car and that was the payment for damages), or
3) let the insurance companies deal with it.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Advanced

You should just pay him the $500 dollars. Regardless of how much the estimate is, it was YOUR FAULT (from the stand point of insurance). He is giving you a clean way out of this situation and I don't think you should "haggle" with him on the amount, especially since $500 is a relatively small amount. Since you're 20 and discounts on insurance don't really kick in until you're 25, if he does decide to make an insurance claim, you are looking at higher rates for 5 years. $500 spent now will save you THOUSANDS in the long run.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Racer

yeah... inattentiveness is definitely not something I would attribute to a good driver, but I won't go as far as saying you're a bad one without physically seeing your driving... there's always a chance the guy ends up using the $500 for something other than the bumper or fixes it the cheaper way, but if you go through insurance, he's going to make sure it gets fully repaired, which means it'll be more than the $500 he's asking for ... good luck
Old 03-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by datboyali
shayan, u asked if you were a bad driver... u got ur answer.

and another thing "muslims do it 5 times a day"... Is that namaz o sex ??
Of course I mean namaz......duh :wink:

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Well of all those accidents how many of those did the insurance actually say you where at fault?
Actually, the first,second, and third accidents were not my fault but, the last one is

Originally Posted by dalieu
i dunno if another bumper off ebay is going to do it. seemed like he was doing you a favor for not going through the insurance companies (you were at fault), and his $500 request isn't that outrageous. the way i see it, you have the following options:

1) get an estimate at the shop you get your work done (he has to agree to what exactly is being done),
2) pay him the $500 (make sure you get a signature from him saying you hit his car and that was the payment for damages), or
3) let the insurance companies deal with it.
The reason I was gonna go through the insurance company was because my brother suggested the idea that the guy might have liability insurance. That could be a possible answer to why keeps telling me to pay him from pocket, but I dont know
Old 03-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JAB00
Your a bad driver.
No, an inexperienced one. The big question is - Are you learning anything from these accidents? Are you repeating the same actions that lead to them?

The central theme here seems to be not paying attention.

gurney