Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternatives to the 04TL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 10:41 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternatives to the 04TL?

TL Newby here. I appreciate all I've read, and what I'll hear next! Good active group.

I'm considering an '04 6speed for the wife, 'cause her 540 6spd has awful wind buffeting above 60 with any window down. Yup, that's the criteria. I'll keep the 540 'cause I like wind, but the TL addition makes sense unless you provide input otherwise.

We hear that Acura products are unusually reliable (other than TL brakes I guess). I've got other older Acura stuff and like it. Make sense?

TL is lighter but about the same size as a 5-series right?

Isn't the G35 about the same size/weight/power as the new TL? Thoughts on that comparison? If it were to be mine, RWD would matter...I doubt that it matters to her.

The Lexus LS300 seems smaller and lighter, more like the 3-series which she won't want. Right?

tnx fo yo hep..... unkie
Old 09-25-2003, 10:47 PM
Race Director

Well other cars to consider would be:
ES330
BMW 3 Series
G35 AWD

But really none of them offer the features, speed, technology, wonderful interior, great navigation, reliability that the TL has!
Old 09-25-2003, 10:49 PM
Race Director

Re: Alternatives to the 04TL?

Originally posted by UnkieMotorhead
The Lexus LS300 seems smaller and lighter, more like the 3-series which she won't want. Right?
Did you mean IS300?

I wouldn't even compare that to the TL, its not even in the same range, its not as luxurious, its more SPORTY, the TL is luxury/sporty with many new things..

Also many people keep coming back to Honda/Acura for the Voice Activated Navigation which its popular for.. If your wife uses navi a lot or you guys go out of town a lot, than I would consider you strongly get a Acura car
Old 09-25-2003, 11:08 PM
Cruisin'

Here's an excerpt from the Honda/Acura News page. Wind noise is less in the new TL, though I don't know about if the windows are down.

Here's the link:
http://www.hondanews.com/Forms/acura...ia***-***acura(directory)TL(directory)***.ws4d?acura/TL/results(r)_text.html

"Internal testing shows that the 2004 TL has less higher-frequency wind noise at the driver passenger "ear point" than the Audi A4, BMW 330i, BMW 530i, Infiniti G35, Lexus ES 300 and Mercedes-Benz C320. It is also measurably improved over the previous TL."
Old 09-25-2003, 11:23 PM
Race Director

The reason for this is new acoustic windshield and many other new improvements:

I Have bolded the word ' Quiet ' for you

Rear Suspension

The TL rear suspension is a 5-link double-wishbone independent system with struts, coil springs with anti-squat and anti-lift geometry. It mounts to a steel subframe to improve road isolation and a quiet interior. The rear suspension geometry adds "toe-in" when the suspension is compressed, improving handling stability over bumps and during hard cornering and braking.

----

Despite a comprehensive array of new technologies and added use of insulating materials to promote an even quieter and more luxurious cabin,

A stabilizer bar further improves handling by limiting body roll, while a special "pillow joint" for the lateral links improves camber rigidity. Rubber shims added to the leading and trailing arm bushings improve ride comfort.

--------

The moonroof itself is virtually flush, reducing the chance of wind noise. There is also a special flush-type seal that promotes quietness.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:26 PM
5th Gear

very helpful so far...keep firin'. :o) tnx
Old 09-26-2003, 06:50 AM

Until I hear that tranny is fixed, I can't recommend it.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:12 AM
Instructor

es300 becoming es330 for 2004, G35 rear all all wheel drive or coupe, If u looking for sport and no luxury - WRX STi, but coming from 540 u probably want luxury also..
bmw 330 is great choice for a driver, MB c class I wouldnt even consider, u just pay for the brand name. Saab, Jag, LIncoln LS are a step down in my eyes also..
I'd pick G35 coupe or Sedan, or if u can wait and see how TL rates and wait for 2005 model year to iron out all the first year bugs, then TL is pobably is excellent reliable choice also..
Old 09-26-2003, 09:35 AM
8th Gear

I've narrowed my choices down to the new TL and the Audi A4. Test drive will determine.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:29 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Jack Bauer
I've narrowed my choices down to the new TL and the Audi A4. Test drive will determine.
The A4 1.8T only has 170 hp, so in terms of performance it's too weak comparing to the TL.The A4 3.0 has 220 hp, so it's still weaker than the new TL, but the price for A4 3.0 begins at low 50K (CDN) while the new TL is estimated to begin at mid 40K (CDN).

Seems like you're paying more for Audi to get weaker performance. I understand that Audi cars are very good, though, so don't get me wrong.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:32 AM
5th Gear

Yeah, I've considered Audi A4 stuff, but power/weight ratio isn't adequate unless you lean on the motor, and I don't see leaning on the motor for my wife, so the 270 +/-hp 3500+ lb numbers seem more consistent with what she'd accept, and are what the TL has. And $50k for new is outta the question.

I've heard considerable noise about waiting to see if the car bugs are resolved, and transmission reliability concerns, etc. Is this new TL enough of a departure such that I should expect stupid problems and therefore wait a year?
Old 09-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Advanced

I expect to be buying a new car next spring. Right now the TL is my leading choice with the G35 coupe second (I don't like the looks of the G35 sedan). The G35 seems to be regarded as a better performer since it's RWD but that may not be a good thing for dealing with New England winters. I also like the looks of the G35 coupe very much. The TL gets the nod however for interior features and style. One thing that annoyed me about the G sedan when I took a close look was the lack of a remote trunk release. When I asked the rep about that she said the competing BMW and Audis don't have one either. I thought that was lame and inexcuseable for a premium brand, I'd be surprised to even see a Ford or Chevy without that feature. It made me wonder what other corners they cut. Pricewise the G may be harder to pass up because my company has a vendor deal with Nissan/Infiniti so I could get one below invoice vs a likely TL selling price near sticker. Tough call.

A close look at both will be made down the road to decide. I have no quams about buying a first year car made by Honda, Toyota or Nissan although I might shy away from the first few months of a production run.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:34 PM
On the way!

From what I've read, the engine and automatic transmissions really aren't that different. The engine is essentially the Type S motor with a slightly higher compression ratio (presumably to help get it's emissions to ULEV) and a factory installed CAI, which may be where that extra 10 hp is coming from. Interestingly, the new TL has a lower redline than the current type S.

I doubt the auto tranny is much different either.

I really need to go to the dealership and check one of these out in person.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:38 PM
5th Gear

I'd be interested to hear comments on open-window freeway speed windnoise if any observations are made, since I'm not going to get around to looking at a new TL until a month from now. tnx again for all the input here!
Old 09-26-2003, 01:04 PM
Racer

Originally posted by fla-tls
From what I've read, the engine and automatic transmissions really aren't that different. The engine is essentially the Type S motor with a slightly higher compression ratio (presumably to help get it's emissions to ULEV) and a factory installed CAI, which may be where that extra 10 hp is coming from. Interestingly, the new TL has a lower redline than the current type S.

I doubt the auto tranny is much different either.

I really need to go to the dealership and check one of these out in person.
What was exactly the problem with the current TL's transmission? If I test-drive the new TL (automatic trans), how can I tell whether or not the problem has been corrected?
Old 09-26-2003, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by amdmaxx
es300 becoming es330 for 2004, G35 rear all all wheel drive or coupe, If u looking for sport and no luxury - WRX STi, but coming from 540 u probably want luxury also..
bmw 330 is great choice for a driver, MB c class I wouldnt even consider, u just pay for the brand name. Saab, Jag, LIncoln LS are a step down in my eyes also..
I'd pick G35 coupe or Sedan, or if u can wait and see how TL rates and wait for 2005 model year to iron out all the first year bugs, then TL is pobably is excellent reliable choice also..
No substitute for the TL if he wants all the trappings of the 540 minus the hefty price and the trips for service. G35 is the closest to the TL for the same experience. Just that it suffers significant deficiencies in the interior layout.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:50 PM
Banned

TL with NAVIGATION will be a good christmas present.

i really love the navigation system, i think its the best i seen. that hooked me on to the car.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:26 PM
On the way!

Originally posted by lamster
What was exactly the problem with the current TL's transmission? If I test-drive the new TL (automatic trans), how can I tell whether or not the problem has been corrected?
You can't. The problem is with the third gear clutch pack wearing out prematurely due to lack of fluid flow and rough surfaces on the wear faces (a bit of an oversimplification, but essentially correct). The design is supposed to have been incrementally corrected by late 2002/early 2003.

Search the forums for more information, like symptoms, etc. Also, there's a 1000+ page writeup on it available through NHTSA's website.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:59 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Maxim
No substitute for the TL if he wants all the trappings of the 540 minus the hefty price and the trips for service. G35 is the closest to the TL for the same experience. Just that it suffers significant deficiencies in the interior layout.
I agree. G35 has a very confused interior.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Advanced

I drove all the cars mentioned above. ES330 and Chysler 300M Special both comfy but a disappointment on power/acceleration. G35 handled great, cheesier interior, unusual looks (I liked) and only RWD until this coming December. Audi just bored me - classy but no "edge." 330xi great for the driver but other passengers wonder why you paid so much for: cramped rear, leather-covered cement seats, no cup holders in the back (I could be wrong on this). I liked the Saabs better than all these choices, but they still haven't cracked the resale value issue, which on the 9-5 could leave you down $23K in depreciation after 5 years.

So . . . there is room for TL to own this space if the '04 really rocks. 10 more days until test drive.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:15 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Fencesitter
I drove all the cars mentioned above. ES330 and Chysler 300M Special both comfy but a disappointment on power/acceleration. G35 handled great, cheesier interior, unusual looks (I liked) and only RWD until this coming December. Audi just bored me - classy but no "edge." 330xi great for the driver but other passengers wonder why you paid so much for: cramped rear, leather-covered cement seats, no cup holders in the back (I could be wrong on this). I liked the Saabs better than all these choices, but they still haven't cracked the resale value issue, which on the 9-5 could leave you down $23K in depreciation after 5 years.

So . . . there is room for TL to own this space if the '04 really rocks. 10 more days until test drive.
Very funny. Are you a writer? I liked the G35 exterior. At least I can live with it. Interior, another matter. Saab interiors are better, if you can live with that strange smell from the interior. Not offensive, just different. I did like the A4, though. I thought its handling was really good. Somewhat overpriced if you add all the options you'd get from the TL. The 3-series is a punkmobile with a premium price, but the snobs will still buy it. BMW freshened the front a little and bumped up the hp a bit, but added a whopping 2K plus to the price. Some nerve!
Old 09-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Liked your portrayal of the 3-series as an "overpriced snobby punkmobile" except the resale values on the cars are so solid that the cost of ownership is actually very low compared to many other cars. If Kelly Blue Book is right, you only lose about $16K on a 330 over five years vs. the $23K on the Saab. So all else being equal which car is the better deal? But generally I agree and would rather not be driving around in a BMW - just too cliche.

I am a writer - but hard to tell in print if by "very funny" you are being sincere or sarcastic about my writing.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Liked your portrayal of the 3-series as an "overpriced snobby punkmobile" except the resale values on the cars are so solid that the cost of ownership is actually very low compared to many other cars. If Kelly Blue Book is right, you only lose about $16K on a 330 over five years vs. the $23K on the Saab. So all else being equal which car is the better deal? But generally I agree and would rather not be driving around in a BMW - just too cliche.

I am a writer - but hard to tell in print if by "very funny" you are being sincere or sarcastic about my writing.
Sincere. I laughed at your description of the 330. So I said, "only a writer could create such imagery in words."
Old 09-27-2003, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Sincere. I laughed at your description of the 330. So I said, "only a writer has create such imagery in words."