Of all the people on this forum - is your headliner up or down?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004 | 07:55 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Of all the people on this forum - is your headliner up or down?

Just curious. Mine has dropped again. One dealer failed fix and now my 2nd attempt has also failed. Are there people out there who have done my epoxy glue trick and it is still holding? If yes, please tell me the exact kind of glue you used, velcro used etc. I prepped each surface, I did Ron A's binder clips trick which was great, I even let it cure for 2 days, I put it on and pop, came off in under 5 minutes. I glued the center and left velcros. These are the new dealer ones that are heavier duty than the original white taped velcro. They could have made things so easy if they had repeated the snap in velcro technique used on the actual headliner - why o why did they not repeat this.

Considering the dealer again, but also may consider drilling a small hole in metal piece that velco is glued to and thread some fine picture hanging wire through it - or even zip ties at this point.

Any successful - long term glue solutions and brands would be appreciated at this point.
Old 06-29-2004 | 08:02 AM
Burning Brakes

RonA posted a perfect solution a while ago. I detached all three velcros from the headliner, put those lousy sticky thing back on the metal side with some epoxy glue (the kind that comes in two syringes) and put pieces of duck tape on them overnight before I velcroed back the headliner next day. It's been over one week and it stays attached. Given it only took me 10 min and $3, you shouldn't rely on your dealer to get this done. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2004 | 08:17 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Novice
RonA posted a perfect solution a while ago. I detached all three velcros from the headliner, put those lousy sticky thing back on the metal side with some epoxy glue (the kind that comes in two syringes) and put pieces of duck tape on them overnight before I velcroed back the headliner next day. It's been over one week and it stays attached. Given it only took me 10 min and $3, you shouldn't rely on your dealer to get this done. Good luck!
I was the one who first posted that fix! It was Me...It was Me!! - Ron made some nice additions with using clips instead of tape. I am coming forward to say - it won't hold - danger danger. My original fix (where I was walking around my house like a genious) was gluing the white sticky part back up there. It worked great until the white sticky stuff tore in half. It lasted for two weeks to the day almost. Now, the dealer fix tried to use the matching piece of velcro that is currently in the headliner clipped in place. But its backside is baby smooth - no white sticky tape. I scratched both surfaces and even drilled some tiny holes in the velcro to allow the glue to come through a little. But no good. Surfaces still to smooth.

The glue is plenty strong - like yours - the two syringe epoxy stuff is great - but hopefully your white velcro tape will hold - mine ripped apart like I said in two weeks - I was bummed.
Old 06-29-2004 | 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Sorry. I should've read your thread more carefully. I can see how they can separate (sandwiched double sided tape).
Old 06-29-2004 | 09:12 AM
team wdp rescue

...still waiting for mine to drop (3000 build model).........anyways I have some experience with epoxy..........first the white strip that you are gluing see if you can get a better quality one (one that isn't made of 2 pieces like that)..........second make sure the epoxy is for metal and cloth...............and the best trick I can suggest is put some tiny pinprick holes into the white strip...big enough to let some glue go in and a little to the other side (but not so much to affect the function of the strip).......having the glue go through the strip at places will hold better than just having it on the back side.\

good luck
Old 06-29-2004 | 09:43 AM
Administrator

Tbone2004 WAS FIRST There was much discussion about this, but he was the first to actually epoxy the piece back on, as far as I can tell. See this thread http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79379

Mine is still holding, but I don't open my sunroof much. I think that contributes to the demise of the velcro strips.

I thought of another thing to hold the velcro on when you use the epoxy - a clothespin
Old 06-29-2004 | 10:05 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Ron A
Tbone2004 WAS FIRST There was much discussion about this, but he was the first to actually epoxy the piece back on, as far as I can tell. See this thread http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79379

Mine is still holding, but I don't open my sunroof much. I think that contributes to the demise of the velcro strips.

I thought of another thing to hold the velcro on when you use the epoxy - a clothespin
Thanks Ron. Ron, there must be a better way to fix these. not much room for nut and bolt. I need the bottom velcro piece to have like tabs sticking up to feed through a hole in the top metal support piece. I have been envisioning like a cotter-pin approach.

What can be done? Acura's fix was useless. Gotta take better advantage of the clip holding thing on the headliner.
Old 06-29-2004 | 10:08 AM
Racer

2000 miles on mine and the headliner hasn't dropped . . .. yet.

Rachel
Old 06-29-2004 | 10:25 AM
Racer

Mine was down last week, I took it in to get an oil change and they fixed it then....it was thursday, so far so good. However, I haven't had the sunroof open at highway speeds.....which is the true test.
Old 06-29-2004 | 10:31 AM
Safety Car

Mine hasn't dropped... but MAN!! does it creak and rattle over every type of road surface...
Old 06-29-2004 | 10:34 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by SmokeTL
Mine was down last week, I took it in to get an oil change and they fixed it then....it was thursday, so far so good. However, I haven't had the sunroof open at highway speeds.....which is the true test.
Did they describe what they did?
Old 06-29-2004 | 10:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Did they describe what they did?
Wayne acura service guy told me he sanded the area they were applying the epoxy to, then stuck it back.
Old 06-29-2004 | 10:55 AM
Instructor

mines been hanging since the first day i got my car. I've went to the dealer twice already and i stopped going because the service manager said an original fix is due from acura. Welp its been over a month. Still no call. I'm debating whether i should fix it myself. Where do you guys go to buy this epoxy glue stuff? pepboys?

I'm starting to kinda regret buying this car. After riding in my girls 325i, i kinda wish i got that instead. someone give me some words of enouragement.
Old 06-29-2004 | 10:57 AM
Instructor

I used the double tube epoxy. Sanded all surfaces, added 2 extra contact points of velcro and let cure overnight. It lasted about a month and now the center one is down again. I think the velcro used on like the EZ pass in NY and NJ would be the best but I can't find any. Any recos on where to get that stuff?? Doug
Old 06-29-2004 | 11:48 AM
Administrator

Thanks Ron. Ron, there must be a better way to fix these. not much room for nut and bolt. I need the bottom velcro piece to have like tabs sticking up to feed through a hole in the top metal support piece. I have been envisioning like a cotter-pin approach.

What can be done? Acura's fix was useless. Gotta take better advantage of the clip holding thing on the headliner.
The metal strip the velcro fastens to is spring steel. Can you drill spring steel? Even if you could, you would have to remove the whole headliner to get access to the strip.

You could make a clip to which you would attach the velcro, maybe with a rivet and washer, and then slide that over the spring steel bar, instead of epoxying the piece to the bar. You could just take a piece of metal (the stuff they sell in Lowe's and Home Depot to reinforce studs and rafters, or something similar, might work.) Then, rivet the velcro to it, bend it back 180 degrees to form a clip type thingey, and push that on the metal bar.

That is the only thing I can think of, but it probably won't work because the rivet would make it too thick and it wouldn't hold the headliner close to the window frame, so maybe it is not a great idea.

I really don't have a solution, but Acura has to come up with something. This is getting ridiculous!!!
Old 06-29-2004 | 11:53 AM
Team Anthracite Member

They need to reinstall a new metal braket (this spring steel stuff) with a similar notch for holding the velcro - like the bottom has. Where does this metal attach? Easily removed?

Fat chance of this probably.
Old 06-29-2004 | 11:53 AM
Instructor

The metal strip the velcro fastens to is spring steel. Can you drill spring steel? Even if you could, you would have to remove the whole headliner to get access to the strip.

You could make a clip to which you would attach the velcro, maybe with a rivet and washer, and then slide that over the spring steel bar, instead of epoxying the piece to the bar. You could just take a piece of metal (the stuff they sell in Lowe's and Home Depot to reinforce studs and rafters, or something similar, might work.) Then, rivet the velcro to it, bend it back 180 degrees to form a clip type thingey, and push that on the metal bar.

That is the only thing I can think of, but it probably won't work because the rivet would make it too thick and it wouldn't hold the headliner close to the window frame, so maybe it is not a great idea.

I really don't have a solution, but Acura has to come up with something. This is getting ridiculous!!!
It really is. I can't stand having it droop over my head and my friends who ride in my car say "is that suppose to be like that?"
Old 06-29-2004 | 12:01 PM
Bobz

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Mine hasn't dropped... but MAN!! does it creak and rattle over every type of road surface...
Ditto - After almost 3k miles, I am hearing my first rattles from around the sun roof area, but no drooping headliner as yet.
Old 06-29-2004 | 12:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bobzmcishl
Ditto - After almost 3k miles, I am hearing my first rattles from around the sun roof area, but no drooping headliner as yet.
I think the creaking around the sunroof might be the weather stripping around the glass. if you use some kind of silicon substance around the edge it will stop....its only a temperary fix though.
Old 06-29-2004 | 12:23 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Ron,
Will a magnet stick to that steel? Found a website that can custom make magnets. If they were to make me one in the shape of the bottom piece velcro - I could slide it in the existing clip on the headliner and let it stick magnetically to the steel piece...these are supposedly the really really strong magnets, not your typical fridge magnet.

??

Old 06-29-2004 | 12:32 PM
Administrator

They need to reinstall a new metal braket (this spring steel stuff) with a similar notch for holding the velcro - like the bottom has. Where does this metal attach? Easily removed?

Fat chance of this probably.

It looks like the springy thingy is part of the moonroof frame. It looks like there might be a rivet attaching it. I don't think you can weld spring steel, can you?

If you open the moon roof and look in the channel, at the rear there is a round indentation about 3/16", and I think that what holds the bar in, so it is not easily removed.

By the way, I've never heard of this problem before. Are you sure you are describing it correctly? What did you do to make this happen?*

*Things a service manager might say
Old 06-29-2004 | 12:37 PM
Administrator

Ron,
Will a magnet stick to that steel? Found a website that can custom make magnets. If they were to make me one in the shape of the bottom piece velcro - I could slide it in the existing clip on the headliner and let it stick magnetically to the steel piece...these are supposedly the really really strong magnets, not your typical fridge magnet.

??
A magnet will stick to the spring bar.

Sounds like this might be a plan if you could get a magnet small enough to fit in the headliner clip yet powerful enough to stay attached to the bar.
Old 06-29-2004 | 12:47 PM
Team Anthracite Member

It looks like the springy thingy is part of the moonroof frame. It looks like there might be a rivet attaching it. I don't think you can weld spring steel, can you?

If you open the moon roof and look in the channel, at the rear there is a round indentation about 3/16", and I think that what holds the bar in, so it is not easily removed.

By the way, I've never heard of this problem before. Are you sure you are describing it correctly? What did you do to make this happen?*

*Things a service manager might say

Too funny. Yes, I expect to be accused of doing chin-ups at traffic lights or something!
That is why I am trying anything than to have to go back there again....noooooooooo...not the service department!!!
Old 06-29-2004 | 03:06 PM
Life is good.

down, 3 headliners later, still no fix... It would be no problem for my to just epoxy it, but its not my job, it acura's job to find a fix.
Old 06-29-2004 | 03:21 PM
Drifting

never had a problem with mine.....10,000+ miles.
Old 06-29-2004 | 03:36 PM
Pro

No drop. 5,800+ miles.
Old 06-30-2004 | 07:11 AM
Team Anthracite Member

for those who have never had the problem - you are saying your liner is snug up against the sunshade - no gap at all? :sqnteek:

Cause for a while I did not think I had the prob, but when I looked closer I saw the center had actually popped loose.

Open you sunroof all the way and look in...I would be VERY surprised if it did not come undone.

Mine does not have a big gap at all. It changes with the temperature. Sometimes it pulls up other times it hangs low - Just like George said on Seinfeld once. The water was cold...
Old 06-30-2004 | 07:12 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I will let you all know about my proposed fix. Gotta go to Home Depot and do some shopping, we'll see what happens...more to follow....
Old 06-30-2004 | 07:18 AM
Team Anthracite Member

A magnet will stick to the spring bar.

Sounds like this might be a plan if you could get a magnet small enough to fit in the headliner clip yet powerful enough to stay attached to the bar.
Hey Ron,
Been talking with the magnet people. I am going to fit a piece of metal in the clip holder - like 1" x 1" (same size as current velcro) then buy one of their super strong magnets - they have all sizes, I am going with the 3/4" x 3/4 " x 3/8" - Nickel Plated, Grade N38.
Stick the magnet to the metal piece in clips and stick other side to roof. (there is a pole on both ends)

- I think it is $3 bucks. What the hell right? I have spent more than that on losing lottery tickets.

If it works and looks to be a good hold, I will do all 3 across the front. Worst case scenario I can hang a picture of my TL on the fridge with the magnets!
Old 06-30-2004 | 08:06 AM
Instructor

I think part of the problem is that the center is higher than the outer contact points. If you were to "build up or fill in the space a bit" I think we'd have a better chance of whatever holding but you might be left with a very slight gap say a 1/4 inch which I think is acceptable. I havn't really taken a really good look in there since I epoxied everything. Now that the center is down again I'll take another look. My outer 2 points are holding so the center is not very bad at all right now and I do alot of driving with the roof open.
Old 06-30-2004 | 08:17 AM
Burning Brakes

TBone is right. I didn't even know that it dropped until I read the threads about this. Only way to confirm it is to open up the sunroof and look inside. When two of three velcros got detached, I only saw about 1/4-1/8" gap!
Old 06-30-2004 | 09:14 AM
Administrator

dougpt10- the center is higher because the metal bar is springy. If you pull it down, it will flex and bow downward, when you release it, it will flex back up. I guess there is a reason for designing it this way, maybe to allow for the air pressure when the moonroof is open. When all 3 pieces of velcro are attached to the springy bar, the headliner edge will be parallel to the moonroof opening and look better.

novice-mine was the same way. I never noticed it until I read about it here, and then I opened the moonroof and found the center and passenger side velcro had come loose. Some people say theirs droops so much it almost touches their heads, but most only get that little space because the headliner is made of firm material.