3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Stereo install with Navi Model?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Stereo install with Navi Model?

Does anyone have any pics of the Factory amp for the stereo? I’m going to be purchasing a TL later this year, and I want to get prepped to put my stereo into the car. I’m interested in how the stock stereo is configured. I guess my main concern is the Head Deck, I’m looking to get a TL with Navi, so I’m not sure I would use the head deck that I have now, I might just use the stock radio, and connect that to my amps. Any recommendation on this, or how is everyone else that is putting in stereos with Navi installing the components? Thanks for the info!
Old 05-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
why?
Old 05-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with cTLgo: WHY!!! You people who mess around with the stereo system in this car are idiots!
Old 05-14-2004, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Because I have always had a stereo in my car and enjoy it thoroughly, I’ve never heard a stock stereo to match what you can get from aftermarket if you have the proper equipment and a good install.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing wrong with going aftermarket if you want a certain sound and the stock system doesn't deliver it for you. My only advice would be that you listen to the TL's stock system before plunking down any dough on aftermarket stuff, because it is really good. Still, it isn't so incredible that it can't be bested by a quality aftermarket system. If you're that discriminating and got the bucks, hey, it's your car. Let us know what you get.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:11 PM
100k miles club

do not get the navi if you are planning to get after market radio. you will just waste your money. there is also an amp that should be located underneath the glove box. i just bought the service manual and skimmed through it. i can post the diagram when i get a chance to scan it if you want. many 04 owners just add or replace the amp. the way technology is nowadays it's getting easier and easier to add onto the stock head unit
Old 05-14-2004, 01:17 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by cTLgo
why?
well my reason is the type of music i listen to doesn't sound as good in the current TL specs. i listen to mostly urban music. now be honest when was the last time you heard someone say this...

"hey check it out! listen to how jay-z sounds in my 5.1 surround ELS system"

when a favorite song comes on i wanna be able to make sure people around me know it's my favorite song and not just have the rattles or my butt print hear it but that's just me though
Old 05-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
i could understand upgrading the speakers and their amps, but NOT the head unit
Old 05-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by w1n78
well my reason is the type of music i listen to doesn't sound as good in the current TL specs. i listen to mostly urban music. now be honest when was the last time you heard someone say this...

when a favorite song comes on i wanna be able to make sure people around me know it's my favorite song and not just have the rattles or my butt print hear it but that's just me though

Oh boy! you mean you want people a block away to hear your favorite song.

Just a word of advice. Myself and quite a few friends all now have Tintitus from listening to loud music. And that's not fun.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
when a favorite song comes on i wanna be able to make sure people around me know it's my favorite song
Maybe it's my age but why would you care if other people know or don't know that your favorite song is playing in your car?

Almost everyone I know gives a big roll of the eyes when they hear the stereo before they see the car.

Not hating, just stating.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:07 PM
100k miles club

maybe i over-exagerated but i'm one of those people when a good song comes on i wanna feel like i'm in a club listening to it. i get hyped up or whatever. look at it this way. my TL is still stocked and i usually listen to music at around 30 if that certain song comes on. other than that it's at 15-20 but there's something missing. i guess i was used to my old system in my other car. here's what i have in my old civic:

pioneer head
tweeters, doors and 6x9 polk audios
2 dhd amps (mids & highs) <-- i know not the greatest but does it's job
2 12" subs sony

it's not a system you can hear down the street but does its job when that "song" comes on. plus volume is at 20-25 and damn i'm content.

and if i were to play with the audio system in the TL i'd probably go as far as add/replacing the amp and maybe a bigger sub. but just 1 sub, and maybe the type R 10". don't think the inside speakers need to be changed. but that's just me
Old 05-14-2004, 02:11 PM
Safety Car

i cannot stand those a-holes who blast their music while driving. its one thing to set it at a nice audible volume, but those bass thumping wall shaking levels are rediculous. i really dun want to listen to that moronic music any 12 year old can write...oops i mean sample(yes its mostly urban music i hear thumping on the highway). i don't disagree with anyone wanting to upgrade their stereo. some people are audiphiles and have a very discriminating sense when it comes to sound.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:16 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by caball88
i cannot stand those a-holes who blast their music while driving. its one thing to set it at a nice audible volume, but those bass thumping wall shaking levels are rediculous. i really dun want to listen to that moronic music any 12 year old can write...oops i mean sample(yes its mostly urban music i hear thumping on the highway). i don't disagree with anyone wanting to upgrade their stereo. some people are audiphiles and have a very discriminating sense when it comes to sound.

:devil:
you're not gonna like cali then lol. here it's not only urban music with the bass vibrating sh!t but you will also be hearing loud a$$ trumpets from latin music ROFL.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Thanks for all of the input! W1n78 if you could post that diagram when you get it or email me any specs on the amp, wiring, head unit I would really appreciate it, Thanks!
Old 05-14-2004, 06:59 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by vipergtp
Thanks for all of the input! W1n78 if you could post that diagram when you get it or email me any specs on the amp, wiring, head unit I would really appreciate it, Thanks!
i'll do it when i get home tonight or tomorrow
Old 05-15-2004, 12:35 AM
Instructor

Angry

It may be your favorite song but it isn't everyone elses - be considerate of others and stop the noise pollution or get used to saying "What did you say?" everytime someone talks to you by the time you're 40. They haven't come up with a way to replace eardrums yet.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I'm pretty sure your favorite song isn't my favorite song, and I'm also pretty sure I'm really not interested in hearing it or in having it shake my car if you're next to me at a light. I remember thinking differently when I was younger, though, and thank God I wised up before my ears paid the price.

I'm really glad that at my advanced age I'm able to easily enjoy the wonderful sound of the TL's system, even at volume levels of 5-10.

Mike
Old 05-15-2004, 01:22 AM
100k miles club

don't worry i'm in the west coast, i'm too far for you to hear

BTW viperGTP here's what you asked for

Old 05-15-2004, 01:58 AM
Instructor

Come on people, vipergtp asked a valid question. He did not ask you what you thought of his music. Who cares what YOU think of Urban music. No one is telling you what you should or shouldn't be listening to or how loud you should play it.

I agree the ELS system sounds good, but for MY taste it isn't quite loud enough.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:55 AM
Team Anthracite Member

You're surely gonna f**kup your tl but its your car. Have fun.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:40 AM
Overlord - Team Abyss

maybe i over-exagerated but i'm one of those people when a good song comes on i wanna feel like i'm in a club listening to it. i get hyped up or whatever. look at it this way. my TL is still stocked and i usually listen to music at around 30 if that certain song comes on. other than that it's at 15-20 but there's something missing. i guess i was used to my old system in my other car. here's what i have in my old civic:

pioneer head
tweeters, doors and 6x9 polk audios
2 dhd amps (mids & highs) <-- i know not the greatest but does it's job
2 12" subs sony

it's not a system you can hear down the street but does its job when that "song" comes on. plus volume is at 20-25 and damn i'm content.

and if i were to play with the audio system in the TL i'd probably go as far as add/replacing the amp and maybe a bigger sub. but just 1 sub, and maybe the type R 10". don't think the inside speakers need to be changed. but that's just me

I don't mean to hate,or be so harsh, but that stereo equipment BLOWS! If your going to put trash like in a TL thinking it will outperform the ELS you are very sadly mistaken! (It may outdo a Civic or a GM Stereo, but that's about it.)In my previous car I had the one step down from the top of the line Alpine deck ($700), a high power Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp at 100 Watts/channel ($600), Infinity Kappa speakers all around ($1000), and a phonex gold amp running 2 Jl Audio 12W3 woofers (over $1200). That system was made of only mid-quality equipment, cost me probally $3000 with cables, a new car battery, and a few install costs, and I think the ELS probally outperforms it in sound quality. Where the ELS fails is in "thump" due to a moderately size woofer which is not fed hundreds of watts. Also, the ELS does not play to ear bleeding volume levels, which most don't need anyway.

If you going to replace the ELS at the least buy new equipment, not trash equipment that you likely got at Walmart or bought because it looked cool because it is going to take a hell of a lot more than that to outdo the ELS. Period! Otherwise, just add subs to the ELS, it's a hell of a lot cheaper and easier. Probally safer too with all the electronic goodies in this car.

The "Brutally Honest" Nip
Old 05-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Thanks a Million for the diagrams W1n78 they look Great!!!!! Everyone has valid points with there comments made about music and how loud they like it. I’m still young and I love my music loud. I find that most stock systems lack when you are cruise’n down the highway with the windows all down sunroof open at 80MPH. I like my fresh air more than the AC, personal opinion. Also if you are not using quality stereo equipment the stock system will sound better. This is also more of hobby for me too, I pick the equipment and do the install for me. Some people mod the engine, I like to mod my stereo.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Advanced

Oh, one more question for you W1n78 where did you get the service manually and how much $$$$ was it. I might pick one up closer to the time that I purchase my TL, Thanks Again!!!!!
Old 05-15-2004, 12:04 PM
100k miles club

www.helminc.com

after tax and shipping it was about $80 and took 6 biz days to get to me. great investment. wish i have my baby but i won't get her back until wednesday. i'm looking to get jl audio amp slash series 6 channel (should be strong enough to power all speakers and alpine type r 10" sub to replace stock 8".
Old 05-15-2004, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Yeah that would be a great idea to change the amp. Please post some pictures when you do make those changes, I would love to see them. My car is coming within 2 weeks. I would like to change the subwoofer and amp most likely. Which manual did you get, was it the service manual??? Thanks for the info.