3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After test drive considering new 2007 Camry SE!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After test drive considering new 2007 Camry SE!!!!!!!!!!

Initially I could not believe that I would even consider looking at another car. My 04 TL is in perfect condition, fanatically maintained, and makes me feel good every time I see it. But I never took to the, for me, rather harsh suspension, always wanted a more supple, compliant suspension. Granted- it handles nicely when it encounters demanding road conditions but I wanted it to be more absorbent of the oridnary road bumps and ruts. Anyway, friends ended up buying Camry's after having rented them. So we took a test drive, just out of curiousity. The XLE stock suspension did not do it. Then tried the SE, sport suspension version. Bingo! Found the magic ride. Reminded me of my 2002 Passat, tight but forgiving. The SE has the big 3.5 V6, 268 hp which really moves it. Believe the mags have a 6.1 time for the 60 mph clocked. The 6 speed auto provides 31 mph on trips and the whole structure felt tight. Seats were fabulous, another improvement over the TL. Brakes were solid but not outstanding. No rattles whatsoever, slight wind noise but road noise was well supressed. Was told my TL with 40K would bring a 22K trade-in, leaving me a very doable balance of only $4K!! Plus their warranty is 5 yrs/60K and 3/36 mo bumper to bumper. My test drive really pushed the SE and its suspension did well, maybe because the shock tower braces , firm bushings and big roll bars. Overall very impressed. The new styling also makes it appealing compared to the stodgy former model. So we are only waiting on the crash testing results info and then might have a found ourselves a nice X-mas present.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
They're nice..SE is the only one i'd get- but i hear the 6 sp auto tranny's are pretty weak and unreliable in them, goodluck in ure purchase though
Old 10-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, I think SE has the best package out of all the trims. enjoy! it's a great car. the V6 version is the same as a lex.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just posted on another thread about my test drive of a 2006 Lexus is250AWD and I loved it.

Im pretty much in the same boat as you and Iam thinking about trading my car in for a IS350. I would probably consider that instead of the camry. I know the lexus will be more expensive but it is worth it.

But either way:Toyota's are the way to
good luck with your decision
Old 10-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have heard that the tranny's in the new Camry's are very unreliable. Be sure to look into that before you buy one.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:50 PM
6MT & LSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meh, it's not like anyone here didn't absolutely love the TL on their test drive... it's after you guys started driving it day in, day out that you started to notice little things. Perhaps you'll take more time on test driving your new ride this time.

Chances are, you'll be on a Toyota/Camry forum posting the same thing about some new, desirable car that just came out and praise that over the Camry talking about how Toyota's reliability went down in the shitter in regards to their failing tranny, or some squeak you heard, or how the dealership experience is no where near BMW's or something.

But if you do want a cushier ride, Camry's not a bad choice. Maybe a Buick, too.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Don't do it. The car is junk. We had two 07 Camry XLE blow up on us. Trannys are a serious problem. Toyota bought BOTH of them back. Check MSN auto, yahoo auto, edmunbds autos reviews and see the complaints. 100s of them on the tranny.

Originally Posted by TLVR
Initially I could not believe that I would even consider looking at another car. My 04 TL is in perfect condition, fanatically maintained, and makes me feel good every time I see it. But I never took to the, for me, rather harsh suspension, always wanted a more supple, compliant suspension. Granted- it handles nicely when it encounters demanding road conditions but I wanted it to be more absorbent of the oridnary road bumps and ruts. Anyway, friends ended up buying Camry's after having rented them. So we took a test drive, just out of curiousity. The XLE stock suspension did not do it. Then tried the SE, sport suspension version. Bingo! Found the magic ride. Reminded me of my 2002 Passat, tight but forgiving. The SE has the big 3.5 V6, 268 hp which really moves it. Believe the mags have a 6.1 time for the 60 mph clocked. The 6 speed auto provides 31 mph on trips and the whole structure felt tight. Seats were fabulous, another improvement over the TL. Brakes were solid but not outstanding. No rattles whatsoever, slight wind noise but road noise was well supressed. Was told my TL with 40K would bring a 22K trade-in, leaving me a very doable balance of only $4K!! Plus their warranty is 5 yrs/60K and 3/36 mo bumper to bumper. My test drive really pushed the SE and its suspension did well, maybe because the shock tower braces , firm bushings and big roll bars. Overall very impressed. The new styling also makes it appealing compared to the stodgy former model. So we are only waiting on the crash testing results info and then might have a found ourselves a nice X-mas present.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ya the new toyota camry is a piece of junk
too many new tech and if u look at the interior of it and compare it with our tl... it's soo ugly and cheap
Old 10-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
This needs to be in Car Talk....

-XP