Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura Service vs Infiniti Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 06:43 PM
VTEC HoooA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Service vs Infiniti Service

I know this topic may seem silly but I wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on the Acura service department, and more specifically the level of service that they provide. I have a number of co-workers that own Infiniti's that RAVE about the service they receive on their vehicles. One guy in particular had a spot on his headliner, he took it in and Infiniti REPLACED the whole headliner at NO COST with no questions asked. In another case one of my co-workers took his car in and complained that the car was not shifting as well as it used to, the dealer looked at it and REPLACED THE TRANSMISSION at NO COST with no questions asked. These are the 2 that stick with me bearing in mind that I was not present when these transactions took place.

While this may seem silly, I want to get an idea how Acura handles issues. From some of the posts that I have read, it does not seem that they are anywhere near the level of Infiniti, but I don't own a car from either dealer....yet (TL is on order).

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Banned

I just got my TL, so I can't really answer. But my buddy who has an FX35 raves about Infiniti's service. They give him a loaner no matter what. Acura says they will only give me one at the 15-30-45k major service appointments.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on surveys (and logic) not all Acura dealers treat customers the same as other dealers. Same with Infiniti. But I would suspect that overall Infiniti would rate higher, along with Lexus. With Lexus, at least, that service is part of what you are paying for. There's no doubt Acura could do better, and should.

Happy customers tell their friends, and so do unhappy customers.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Burning Brakes

I can tell you that it depends on the dealer and that my dealer has been fantastic. Even ordering the license plate bumper plugs at their cost and installing them for me.

Now as for how the TL stacks up against Infinity quality wise, I don't know but thus far I'm not overly impressed with the TL's initial quality.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Advanced

IT DOES DEPEND ALL ON THE DEALER MINE GIVES ME A LOANER EVEN FOR AN OIL CHANGE AND MAJOR STUFF. THEY HAVE TO BE THE BEST ACURA DEALER.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:25 PM
VTEC HoooA

I wish Acura would catch on to what Infiniti is doing in regards to service, because all things being equal I would hands down pick the dealer (or in this case brand) that will treat me better. Since the TL is in the same price range as the Inifniti products I would expect to be treated the same in both places, however from what I have read and from what I am hearing they simply treat customers as if they just bought a Honda. I find it hard to believe that Honda is not more careful in this regard. I would bet 10 to 1 that a comparison of Infiniti to Nissan, and Lexus to Toyota would show marked differences in service levels (as they should being an upscale brand). Whereas with Honda there is little to no difference depending upon the dealership.

Norse can you explain the build quality issues you have experienced?? You are scaring me since my car is has been ordered!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by 04TLBLack
IT DOES DEPEND ALL ON THE DEALER MINE GIVES ME A LOANER EVEN FOR AN OIL CHANGE AND MAJOR STUFF. THEY HAVE TO BE THE BEST ACURA DEALER.
It is 100% dealer, not brand. Here Clair Acura is awesome, but Clair Mercedes and Honda blows. Managed by a different person in management.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:00 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by moreace
It is 100% dealer, not brand. Here Clair Acura is awesome, but Clair Mercedes and Honda blows. Managed by a different person in management.
On average, Infiniti has the BEST customer service in the country. Better than Lexus. In fact, Saturn had the second best and third was Lexus (JD Powers). The dealer in a particular area has a lot to do with it but Infiniti's corporate office puts certain demands on each dealer and they are much stricter in their guidelines than Acura. The Infiniti dealership near me has G35 sedan loaners and this is standard on most of the Infiniti dealerships (go to G35driver.com and read up if you want). In my experience dealing with Acura, they were not nearly as friendly.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:07 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clair is super friendly here so far

I brought my 10 year old Infiniti G20 to Herb Chambers (great dealer) and got a new G35 for over a day, didn't even work on my car.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

I would say it is PARTLY dealer-based and PARTLY brand-based. Overall, unfortunately, Acura does have a reputation of more dealer dissatisfaction than Infiniti or Lexus. Yet many of us have had great dealings with our local Acura dealer, so that doesn't matter to us.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 21 Posts
it really depends on the dealer, even with infiniti. I don't have experience with acura dealers but right now there is only one infiniti dealership in town that I'll go to because the other ones are crappy..I recently had to get my transmission replaced and had an FX35 for a week
Old 03-19-2004, 09:14 PM
Advanced

I had an 01 TL and I now have an 03 I35 and the overall buying experience at Infiniti was amazing. Night and day better than at Acura. Anything you want, no questions asked. Not that my Acura dealer was all bad, but it was the overall feeling at each dealership. At Infiniti you are just treated with more respect and everything is smooth. The car is awesome besides. I have had no problems in 13 months of ownership compared to the nightmare I had with my TL. I traded the TL for the I35 and have been very happy. The build quality and reliabilty of this car is amazing. No rattles - nothing. I even try to find stuff and I can't. I also have tons more features the my 01 TL. I don't think people realize how many more features this car has for a similar price. I love Acura and my family has had 9 of them and I am loving the new TL but I am scared after my first experience and what I have read thus far about the new one. Hopefully, all problems will be resolved.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Racer

I bought from the same dealer as Norse396. I have bought two cars there, and I have always received first rate service and treatment from their service department. My wife drives a Lexus RX330. They are always exceptionally polite, but they haven't always fixed her car right the first time.

One difference between the two companies (or possibly just dealer policy) is that you sit with a Lexus service rep one on one in a private office. Acura service has you wait in line at the service counter to talk with the rep right there. Small potatoes maybe, but I prefer the private environment.

I work with a G35 owner who just got his car back after over a month due to a faulty EGR sensor. He drove a loaner the whole time, but he felt the wait was excessive. He is a repeat customer, largely because he generally raves about Infiniti service.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:48 PM
Advanced

Rosenthal Acura in Gaithersburg, MD. I really recommend that place. Loaner cars available all the time for any kind of service. May i have to drop the car off early in the morning for service, i get a loaner car for the day to go to work and go back to pick up the car later that day. if they run out of loaner cars, then they call Enterprise and get me a rental car. I got a convertible Chrysler and that was a lot of fun. Free soda, donuts, and coffee/tea... haha... my service experience with them have always been first rated.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Instructor

I'd have to say it must be dealer related too. My dealer called the other day to schedule the final accessories installation and they asked me if they can have a loaner waiting for me. So far I'm pretty happy with their attitude.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Banned

FUCK MY DEALER , THOSE ASSHOLES IN PARAGON ACURA on Norther BLVD , NEVER GO THERE. sorry for use capitals but i hate them so bad. Every single experience overthere for me is bad. Every one is mean man. Except there was this 1 service person Kevin who wasnt mean so they fired him cause he wasnt mean i guess, he is not there anymore. They even give you fucked up deals. Like i put up a story over here that i traded my 2002 TL-P and Leased a 2006 TL for 580$ monthly. Now thats a lil high price i think. But than in 1 week they called me and they were like the bank said it has to be 720$ monthly you have to pay. I was like what, i signed all the papers for 580, wadda fk you guys r talking about. So i got mad, took that car back over there. They handed my car back, Those faggots didnt even Clean my old Car, it was there Just like that for 1 week!!! Than they tried to put blame for a lil scratch the 2006TL have which i already saw when i bought it the first day and told them abt it and they said they will fix it for me. And now they were like why did you bought it like that, we would never sell u a car not even with a lil tiny scratch. So i was like If you try to charge me for that scratch, The Papers i have WHICH YOU GUYS SIGNED FOR 580 ill be paying the same amount to the bank and wont be returning this car to u because ur at fault. So they didnt take any money out and gave the 2000$ deposit back.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by lostkhan
FUCK MY DEALER , THOSE ASSHOLES IN PARAGON ACURA on Norther BLVD , NEVER GO THERE. sorry for use capitals but i hate them so bad. Every single experience overthere for me is bad. Every one is mean man. Except there was this 1 service person Kevin who wasnt mean so they fired him cause he wasnt mean i guess, he is not there anymore. They even give you fucked up deals. Like i put up a story over here that i traded my 2002 TL-P and Leased a 2006 TL for 580$ monthly. Now thats a lil high price i think. But than in 1 week they called me and they were like the bank said it has to be 720$ monthly you have to pay. I was like what, i signed all the papers for 580, wadda fk you guys r talking about. So i got mad, took that car back over there. They handed my car back, Those faggots didnt even Clean my old Car, it was there Just like that for 1 week!!! Than they tried to put blame for a lil scratch the 2006TL have which i already saw when i bought it the first day and told them abt it and they said they will fix it for me. And now they were like why did you bought it like that, we would never sell u a car not even with a lil tiny scratch. So i was like If you try to charge me for that scratch, The Papers i have WHICH YOU GUYS SIGNED FOR 580 ill be paying the same amount to the bank and wont be returning this car to u because ur at fault. So they didnt take any money out and gave the 2000$ deposit back.
Also valley Stream Acura in NYC isn't the best for ervice, it may seem a bit far, but go to Smith Town acura, best service and very friendly.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Instructor

acura vs infiniti service

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
I know this topic may seem silly but I wanted to see if anyone could shed some light !
Hello

I am in the unique situation being an acura owner (2005tl) as well as an infiniti owner(2006m35x).
While you cant be sure on all services across the country, I can only give you my experiences, which have been servicing in Manhattan, New York City, where I work, and commute to each day. I drove the tl for about a year, and now the infiniti for about a year. My brother drives the tl now, but it is still my vehicle and I bring it in for all servicing.
First I want to put a word in about purchasing differences. After visiting many acura dealers, and getting a lot of lies and runarounds, I went to the dealer a few blocks from where I work. The salesman was the best salesman I have ever dealt with. He knew I knew what I was looking at, and did my research. It was just a matter of hammering out exactly what I wanted and expected and what he could do for me. I got a lengthy test drive of almost an hour in time, with no pressure.
We hacked out a very fair deal on a vehicle that wasnt built yet, but was the only one with my colors I wanted, and any dealer installed options. I got excellent financing for about 1/3 the purchase price(I paid approx 20,000 cash).
It was so pleasant , it didnt even feel like a sale. It was easy for me and for him, I got a good price, and he got a sale, for a test drive and two hours talking.
Now, we go to infiniti a few blocks away. It was when the m35x was just being introduced. The salespeople were disinterested in me, and couldnt care less. I dont know if it was just me(I was wearing jeans, and a nice sweater), and they knew I had a late model acura. I asked the salesman for a test drive, and he said I needed to make an appointment, even though I could see the demo, being driven, and the salesman and the tester just stood there for over an hour.
I told the salesman he just lost any chance of a sale. I went to a dealer near where I lived and was thrown the keys and told to bring it back in half an hour. I was pleased with that, but upon trying to negotiate a deal, there was no movement from close to sticker.
A few days later, I return to original infinit dealer in manhattan, and tell sales manager, what I want to buy, but will not deal with original salesman.
He said he had time, and dealt with me directly. (It was early in morning). He said the m35x is a new model, and they want to move some and could offer me a great deal if I was willing to buy in the next day or so.
Anyway, I got the car at a little under invoice, and I guess he got most of the holdback. It was an easy deal, and clearly thousands below, what the other dealer was asking. I purchased car, and the car was delivered with a great shine on it. However, when I purchased the acura, they have people there whos job it is (and they allow 90 minutes for it) who take you through everything in the car, and will even preset everything to your liking, including setting up blue tooth, navi, presets and everything.
Infiniti, basically shows you how to start the car, and open the trunk. LOL
Now to get to your answer on servicing. Well start with Acura.

1) While the service department, has to me, seems to be always try and accomadate me, they dont always listen to what the problem is. They seem to shrug off problems I have been and still am not satisfied with the brake and computer controls concerning braking. They tell me its normal, but from other people on this board, who have the same problem, we know it isnt.
The rotors warped out after a fe thousand miles and had to be replaced, as also the brake pads. They tell everything is normal, but for a person who drives the car with the utmost respect, that should not be happening.
Other then that, they have taken real good care of the car, and I get it detailed there twice a year, to put a good coat of wax on.
I like that everytime I bring it on, a service person, takes a walkabout on the car, to note anything wrong with the body or interior, which protects them, in case I say something was damaged, but also protects me, in case I claim damage also. I like that.
They always , always, make a follow up call the day after I pick up my serviced car, to see if I was satisfied. If not, I get more calls from service managers.
Overall, I have found good service at this dealer.
Now for the infinit....
Upon deliver, I had a small body problem in the rear,(with the trunk) which was taken care of promptly and expertly. I have had no other reason to use servicing, other then regular appointments. The car does everything it should effortlessly
They dont seem to have niceness of the acura department, but I see the cars coming out, and people are very pleased. They seem to go the extra step when taking care of the vehicles. People have told me in the waiting room, they have a minor problem, but they go the extra step, and replace whole areas, where repair could fix it.
My car is washed and the leather is always cleaned and tires detailed when I get the car from servicing. I just dont feel any connection with them, as I do with acura. But as long as they do whats right, is all that matters.
Tl now has 24,000 miles, and m35x has 14,000 miles. I expect both cars to be in my possession(or someone in my family in fifteen years barring an accident or theft.
Hope this gives some insight

Much regards
Old 01-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I have owned 2 Infiniti's and 3 Acura's. I tend to think Inifinit overall is better, I suspect that is becasue as a company Inifniti is more customer service oriented. Acura is not strutcured the same, they are essentially a line of Honda. When you escalate in Acura you are tlaking to Honda people, same idiots that woudl handle a Civic problem. When you talk to Infiniti you are dealing with a seperate subsidiary that has its own line of customer service. True there are good and bad dealers with either, but my guess is that customer service is more company motto with Infiniti vs. Acrua. Also as noted I always got loaners with my Infinitis, Acura, it is dealer choice as the dealers funds the loaner program with Acrua, with Infiniti it is partially funded by Infiniti.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Instructor

paragon

Originally Posted by lostkhan
FUCK MY DEALER , THOSE ASSHOLES IN PARAGON ACURA on Norther BLVD , NEVER GO THERE. s
Paragon, are a bunch of thieves and liars. The showroom is nice. Great bagel and coffee spread. LOL
I am looking for a tl, get a price quote over the internet. I call up, and ask if I can pick up the car first thing. They said, price is good and car is there. (This is 5 minutes before closing)
I get their at opening and they tell me they dont have the car. I said I called yesterday. The sales manager comes over and says they sold the car. I said that cant be. Let me see the car, if it was sold, you still have to have the car on the premises or the paperwork. He walks away.
The saleman says he can find another one. He says for 200 dollars he will do a search for me. Does he think I am a dope. Good bye.
Paragon is a bunch of liars and thieves, just look on the internet for their shady practices.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EZZ
On average, Infiniti has the BEST customer service in the country. Better than Lexus. In fact, Saturn had the second best and third was Lexus (JD Powers). The dealer in a particular area has a lot to do with it but Infiniti's corporate office puts certain demands on each dealer and they are much stricter in their guidelines than Acura. The Infiniti dealership near me has G35 sedan loaners and this is standard on most of the Infiniti dealerships (go to G35driver.com and read up if you want). In my experience dealing with Acura, they were not nearly as friendly.
Just had to clarify this since this is exactly what my job does, customer service satisfaction at Power.

The most recent year that Infinti tops in customer service satisfaction was 2003. 04-05 was Lincoln, and 2006 is Lexus.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I left Infiniti because of poor service. Worst service I have ever had! Example. My driver seat on my G35 had a wear mark and stiches coming undone on the left bolster. It was black leather and the area was WHITE that was showing it. I showed the dealer, they told me they couldn't replace it because of wear. Mind you the car was less than a year old, and 20k of miles then. I argued with them, and they had a Infiniti Regional REP come in to look at it. He did, and said, sorry we can't cover that. I flat out told him that is bs they can't. Even my rear windows creaked all the time, dealer told me they can't fix it, they tried everything. I mentioned that to the rep too, he asked the sm if you tried the TSB, they said yes, and that was the end, he wouldn't ask them anything else about it. I was like what else can be done on that, he said sorry.

I told him flat out that would be my last Infiniti if they don't resolve these issues. They didn't. Got rid of the car 8k miles later for a TL. I have been treated like GOLD with Gunn Acura here. Everything has been fixed or replaced without question. I even had a issue with two marks on both front seat covers they replaced for me free!

Infiniti/Nissan has never been rated as a good service brand. Lexus and Honda/Acura have been.

I know this topic may seem silly but I wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on the Acura service department, and more specifically the level of service that they provide. I have a number of co-workers that own Infiniti's that RAVE about the service they receive on their vehicles. One guy in particular had a spot on his headliner, he took it in and Infiniti REPLACED the whole headliner at NO COST with no questions asked. In another case one of my co-workers took his car in and complained that the car was not shifting as well as it used to, the dealer looked at it and REPLACED THE TRANSMISSION at NO COST with no questions asked. These are the 2 that stick with me bearing in mind that I was not present when these transactions took place.

While this may seem silly, I want to get an idea how Acura handles issues. From some of the posts that I have read, it does not seem that they are anywhere near the level of Infiniti, but I don't own a car from either dealer....yet (TL is on order).

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Cruisin'

I had a I35 and the service while ok was not really anything to brag about.. the dealership did the needed job and handed me the keys.. they would make notes as to wipers being worn(they had replaced them last time) which showed either they didnt pay attention or just wanted to make a quick buck...

Got my mom's 2006 TL from norris acura in baltimore and the service department has been great. The service rep took the time out to walk both of us through all the electronics and made sure she was comfy with working everything.. when i take either my 2003 tl or the 06 in for service they always have a loaner if its anything longer then an oil change.. always wash the cars (normally without asking) and the service department even looks out and advises and does so with a eye on not beating you in the head on price. rep advised me to try tire rack instead of paying 900.00 for dealer tires..

all in all its the dealer you choose and if you can make a buddy in service you will have a great time...
Old 01-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Race Director

Hendrick Acura in charlotte, NC is probably the best acura dealer in the country!!

Now first of all im 17 so lets of times people dont take me seriously which I understand. I pull my car up to there service I instantely have someone come up to me and talk to me and all that stuff. I havent had my TL long and only been there a few times. 2 times ago I asked them to do warranty work. The guy said ok looked up everything and said when I bought the car I didnt get it transfered from the previous owner. I said no problem went home called acura care and got it transfered. Next time I went there the same guy asked me "how did that work out for you" and I had a nice convo with him. Now the guy who I was currently getting my car serviced with said "oh well I see it here that it was transfered what would you like done?" He actually asked me what I wanted and one of the things he said was the seat element needed replacing he said it was normally be 700 dollars. He goes "how much was it to get it transfered" and I said 50 bucks he goes "well I think your money was very well spent then" and then goes "let us know what else so we can get it all fixed before its up" They also have very good prices and also complemantry check your car while its getting serviced.

Very highly recommended from me.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:34 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paragon Acura, i don't know how Acura can stand by these assholes. Their customer service and mechanics are the worst ever, they left grease marks on my old car just doing a basic service. Then they had the nerve to say that shit was already there when i went back to complain. Don't take your car or buy a car from them!
Old 01-03-2007, 01:04 AM
2006 TL

My 1st car (i shared it with my older borther) was an '04 Infiniti G35. I'm an Infiniti-buff all the way. They make great cars (dad has an FX45, mom has an M45) and they're svc dept, @ Orlando Infiniti anyway, is always a pleasure to deal with. I went one day with a list of about 7 things that was wrong with the car (window motor, rattles, electronics, tire pressure, etc...) and they fixed every single issue... it took 2 days, but I was driving around the loaner '05 G35 in the meantime, so I was in no rush to get my car back. Service technichian also calls me a few times while they have the car to give me updates as to how the car is coming along and how long it will be.

My current car, obviously, is an '06 Acura TL. This is where I say "it depends on the dealer." Fountain Acura in Orlando is VERY accomodating and calls to remind me of routine maintenance to make appts to have the car svc'd. While in svc, the svc tech @ Acura also calls to update me on the status and wait-time. The staff always greets me and offers me food/water/snacks when i decide to wait in the lounge. Let me correct that, WHEN I wait in the lounge. Coming from Infiniti, who always guaranteed me a loaner (w/o my even having to ask), I was a bit put off by the fact that Acura makes u REQUEST a loaner, which is not always available. B/c of they're location on OBT however, they will drive you to anywhere w/in a 15 min vicinity (FL Mall is 4 mins away), and will pick u up upon request.
Acura in NYC, however - is a different story. For example - I went to Paragon Acura, pulled into the svc bay, was NOT greeted, had to wait for the svc tech to finish "typing an e-mail," and take his time attempting to help me... I left that dealership and will never return to it. Acura of Westchester is also sucky... I walked in and was yet again not greeted, so if I am not worth their time, they're not worth my money. I moved on to Rallye Acura where I received excellent customer service and friendly service techs.

I don't understand what goes through someones mind when a customer pulls up and they don't greet them. When I pulled up to Orlando Infiniti, I was greeted at least twice before even walking in the door... and one day I didn't even open the door, they opened the door for me, asked me how I was, asked how my family was, and they had my loaner already running ready to go... Acura could learn a thing (or 5) from Infiniti.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Well, IMHO if you look and read at freshalloy and g35driver you will see the majority complain about Infiniti service. It isn't all that cracked up to be.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've been VERY impressed with my Acura dealership: Montgomeryville Acura. They don't do courtesy cars for everything, just warranty work and heavy duty stuff. I live real close, so I just have them shuttle me back since I can work from home. They also replaced my crappy Turanzas for free because they wore really fast. The same goes for the brake pads, they did them for free too. I can usually get an appointment in a few days for anything and the customer service people are great. They always follow-up and make sure I understand what they did.

Joe
Old 01-03-2007, 11:14 AM
RVC
Advanced

My dealer sucks, Priority Acura in Chesapeake Va. It took 3 days to schedule an oil change. They would not even entertain the rattles I have in my 06' TL. My girl has an 2006.5 Kia Optima, and gets the best service I have ever seen in my life. That car doesn't have one single rattle, shake, vibration, and it rides very smooth. Good car for the price. Obviously not in the same class as the TL but....
Old 01-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
YEah it really depends on the dealer. (I own both an Acura and an Infiniti). However I've had bad experiences at 3 different Acura dealers, and have never had a bad experience at the Infiniti dealer. (knocks on wood).

I bought our 2G TL at a dealer 2 hours away. I drove back down to have a spoiler installed, as I like this dealer's service department better. (I'll go into more details about why in a few minutes)

Anyways, when I got there, they gave me a nice RL loaner, and told me to chill for a few hours. They said it would take about 6 or 7 hours. So half the day goes by, and when I pick my car up, it still doesn't have a spoiler... I asked them about that, and they said they ordered the wrong color spoiler. They said I can just drive home, and return the following week. That was all fine and dandy, but it would've been nice if they told me about this before having me waste half the day, when I could've just went back home. But at least I was satisfied in the end....

Now for the two local acura dealers....

My wife got a flat, and I was nearby, so she called me and asked me to take care of it because she had a client meeting. I put the spare on and take it to the Acura dealer. They refused to patch the tire and said they are not a tire shop, and that I should go to a tire shop. I instead went to the local Honda dealer, where they happily patched my tire for free.

Our 2G TL broke down on the side of the road, and we immediately pulled over, when I saw the temperature start to rise out of control. After having it towed to the dealer, the dealer said most likely the cause of the coolant loss would be covered under warranty, but said that it may have caused the head gaskets to blow because of the resulting heat, and that would NOT be covered under warranty. (Nevermind that I actually pulled over BEFORE it actually overheated). Anyways, they than later told me that a rock took out the radiator, so it wouldn't be covered under warranty. In my 20 years of driving, I had never had a rock take out the radiator like that on a city street. I asked a few coworkers about this, (without mentioning what car it was), and one guy was like, "Yeah, that happened to me a little while ago." I asked him what car it was, and he said it was an 02' Acura TL

Anyways I had the radiator replaced, and when I picked up the car, the service manager said that I need to replace the tires, because they are worn out. I pointed out that I just bought 4 brand new tires a week prior. Service manager admitted he didn't actually look at the tires, but he was going by mileage...

Later on the tranny started acting up, and I heard about a recall, and looked online and verified my car was included in this recall, despite not having received the letter yet. I took the TL to the other acura dealer in town first, since it was closer to work. They actually refused to perform the recall work, saying we need to have the letter in hand.... OK... So I took it to the dealer where we bought our 3G TL. While they were performing the recall work, they said that the radiator needs to be flushed. I asked why, and they said the mechanic said that the coolant was very dirty and looks like it was never replaced. I asked the service manager to look up why I brought my car in for a few weeks earlier. He did, and said I brought it in to have the radiator replaced. I asked if the coolant is replaced when you replace the radiator. When he said yes, I asked him why do I need to pay for a flush again? He couldn't answer, and said he would ask the mechanic why he recommended a flush.

A few months later, and the tranny went south. My wife called around, (I was away on business when it happened), and the first dealer said they don't give out Acura loaners when repairs take longer than a day. The other dealer said they have never heard of any transmission issues on a 2G TL She makes an appointment for the day after i get back from my business trip.

I take it to the dealer. As soon as I pull up in the service bay, the service manager asks what the issue is. I said the tranny keeps falling out of gear. The service manager told me that this was a common problem on the 2G TLs, and that they would most likely need to ordre a new tranny. (insteresting, that's not what they told my wife)

I get a call a little while later, and they said that the tranny would not be covered under warranty. I was infuriated and came down to the dealer. They said that I "failed" to have the car regularly maintained by the Acura dealer, and as such have voided my warranty. I actually busted out the owners manual, and the warranty booklet, and pointed out how the warranty did not have a requirement to have the dealer perform the service on the car.

Then they tried to say that I failed to "flush the tranny", so at least the warranty on the tranny would be void. So then I pointed out that the 2 maintenece schedules say the first recommended flush should be done at either 60,000 miles or 109,000 miles depending on the schedule. I only had 32,000 miles. Further, I pointed out that my profession is dealing with international standards and their interpretations. I pointed out that the maintence booklet uses words like "Recommended" and "Should", which have different legal meanings from "Required" and "Mandatory". After pointing these out, the dealer agreed to re-instate my warranty and replace the transmission free of charge.

When I later brought the car in for some other warranty work a year or so later, they said that I needed to pay for a tranny flush, to properly maintain the warranty. After going over the legal definitions of various words one more time, they changed their tune, and said that I don't "need" to have it done, but that "only" the dealer has the right equipment to do it. (I told them I perform these flushes myself) I pointed out that I have the Acura Service Manuals, and would like them to point out where in the Service Manual it mentions this "special equipment" that is needed to flush the tranny.

They than changed their tune again, and said that it would be more convenient for me if I had the dealer do it. I basically politely told them to shove it.

So now for Infiniti Service:

I brought my car in for unscheduled maintenence when my check engine light came on. They said they didn't have any loaners available at the time, but they took me to their back lot, and said I can choose any Infiniti vehicle to take out as a loaner. I chose the FX. When they pulled it around, I saw it only had like 6 miles on the odometer.

On a separate occasion, I was having some warranty work done. I asked the parts deparment about door handles and such. He asked what for. I told them that I wanted to go for a somewhat "shaved" look by removing the keyholes and such, and said that it could be accomplished by installing the passenger door handle cover on the driver's side, etc. I suggested it may also help with security, as I hate the window-down feature with the key.

The Parts guy said that my concern sounded reasonable and that the dealer will pay for the parts and have them installed for me free of charge.

I came back a week or so later, when the parts came in, got another loaner, and they did everything they promised free of charge.

Personally I love our 3G TL, but my wife is so displeased with the quality of service, that she refuses to buy another Acura product. Though I'm working on that as I'm liking the TL-S.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Racer

Thanks in advance!
I came from Infiniti so I would say I have a spot on assessment. Infiniti service is lightyears ahead of Acura. It's that simple. You have to twist Acura's arm to get anything done right, whether or not it's the first of tenth time for an issue.

Infiniti gives loaners without a problem, Acura wants you to sit around and wait, or they think they're doing you a favor by lining you up with Budget Rental Service. (Or enterprise, etc.)

Acura Service, at this point (1.5 years) is the sole reason I will not own another Acura.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:58 PM
RIP 06 TL

I think its ALL the dealer. Perhaps my dealer is will be a little better about loaners and what not, they just switched over from a local owner to a DCH Acura. But I can tell you that my step-dad gets a 2007 loaner no questions, hassles or without a request even from benz...i could not say the same from acura. They usually have a loaner already waiting for him when he arrives for anything from a recall item to a oil change. As far as infiniti goes....they have been awesome for anything. Definitely compares to some of the higher end car dealers, unlike my local acura.