3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura really screwed over manual drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Acura really screwed over manual drivers...

by making it so you HAVE to purchase the TL type S if you want a manual. I dont like the tls...dont like the wheels, the 2 tone seats, or the ricey red gauges.
I want a sport sedan...not a sedan that looks riced up. BS
Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
i agree to an extent. i think it was a mistake not too offer the MT for the std TL. I'm afraid of the possibility that this strategy will trickle into the 4GTL
Old 07-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's your personal opinion. I think wheels look great and color hides the brake dust. You dont HAVE to get 2 tone seats. That's actually an option. I have solid taupe color seats.

I hated red gauges too until I learned the history behind the red gauges. Red symbolizes the heart of honda and is exclusive to type R and type S models. How is that Ricey?

This my friend is rice

I agree with your mt thoughts though. TL should offer a manual. Although only 5% of total sales = mt if Acura's trends are following BMW and Infiniti.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:02 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The fact is that they don't cater to performance heads, similar to why the SI's come only mt... makes sense for type s to only come manual... if you really want to be technical it is for this very reason honda has discontinued the RSX...
Old 07-25-2007, 08:16 PM
hates the winter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't you get an 06 TL 6mt?

I have to agree on the TL-S rims though. I don't like them either and would be the first thing I replaced.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Cruisin'

Let's change those with my TL. I like TLS rims rather than TL, 2 tones seats and red gauge too lol
Old 07-25-2007, 08:59 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

No matter what Acura does for each model year, someone is always bound to complain about something. Guaranteed!
Old 07-25-2007, 09:11 PM
08 Civic SI

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
i dont like the new Type S because i will never be able to aford one
Old 07-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bet Acura is going to offer a new design of wheels for 2008 for the Type-S...probably 18's.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JJaber06
I bet Acura is going to offer a new design of wheels for 2008 for the Type-S...probably 18's.
Nope...the '08 is already on acura.com and is identical.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
this is the reason why you should buy a 06 6spd.... they are rarer now that they only make the manual on the S
Old 07-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Instructor

I have an 06 manual that is WHITE DIAMOND PEARL with ebony interior and only 15k miles any takers? This car is almost a classic...
Old 07-26-2007, 01:11 AM
Acuras Only in

Why bash type-s? No one holds a gun against your head to get it. There are quite a few other cars that offer the 6MT while fits the sports sedan category. Might not be as good a overall package as the type-s, but that's the kind of trade off points you have to live with ... just my two cents ...

ps. I'm enjoying mine so far ....
Old 07-26-2007, 01:14 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ya uhm, i'll swap seats with you. i'll take the two tone, no problem!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:32 AM
Intermediate

I don't consider the type-s is ricey. I, myself have an 07type-s. My initial reaction about the car was that is when i only saw pictures of the car, but when i actually saw the car in person its totally different its much nicer. I was surprise at how great a car it is. With all the stuff you get in this car it is well over 40K. Overall im a happy owner of a type-s just my
Old 07-26-2007, 04:30 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by phatbastard
I have an 06 manual that is WHITE DIAMOND PEARL with ebony interior and only 15k miles any takers? This car is almost a classic...
wOW.. this is exactly what I am looking for... we should trade.. i got a WDP/Ebony leather, but it's Auto... with the auto, you can sell it much easier.....
Old 07-26-2007, 05:23 AM
Intermediate

I don't think the red gauges are ricey at all. I think both the TL-S and TL-P interior lighting looks good. BMW's interior lighting is orange and I've never heard of any comments of them being ricey. Maybe since it's an Acura that you would think the red lights are ricey? What if the 335IS came in red lighting, would that be ricey?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:31 AM
Burning Brakes

After trading my '05 TL 6MT for an '07 TL-S AT, it is obvious that Acura is making the TL more luxury than sport every year. Guess they figure if you want "sport", you'll lean towards the Type "S".
Old 07-26-2007, 07:11 AM
4th Gear

I am 100% behind the decision to only offer the MT on the TLS!

Wife: Do you really NEED to get every option on the car?
Wife: What do you need NAV for? Can't you just get the regular TL?
Me: The regular TL doesn't come in a stick.
Wife: Fine.

And I Love the wheels, and would be just as happy with red or blue gauges.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

I think if the wheels were in 18's , I could deal with them but 17's on the Type S makes no sense. Agree with one poster , there will always be someone to bitch about something no matter what.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
The fact that there are very few people who want manual TL's drives their decision.

If my father was looking at a TL and he had to chose between a TL and a TLS, he would go for the TL Auto and wouldn't even consider a TLS or a manual tranny.

They've certainly done their homework and looked at the majority of people who are buying these models and I bet most are a lot older than 20 or 30 and wouldn't consider a manual. My dealer tried to talk me out of a manual based on the area I live in, but I don't regret it one bit.

I saw a brand new Corvette yesterday being driven in traffic with one hand (cell phone in the other hand) and I thought to myself, who the hell would want a car like that in auto? If more people think like them than me, then the company will follow them, not me........
Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Been a while since I've seen a good controversy here so I'll light the fire.

A manual gearbox on a front wheel drive car makes no sense in regard to sport driving. A manual gearbox used during sport driving allows the ability to "steer" the car with the rear wheels. The front wheels simply change the direction of where the car is pointed and where the driver wants it to go.
In addition to that a manual gearbox also allows the driver to hold the engine at a high rpm in anticipation of the next manuver, i.e., while slowing down into a turn and preparing to excelerate when leaving it. That can and is easily accomplished with the sport shift option on the automatic.
Drive wheels on the front of a car are simply dragging the rear along for the ride. They offer no high-speed or manuvering ability at all.

Enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Shalooby : Today at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phambam
No matter what Acura does for each model year, someone is always bound to complain about something. Guaranteed!
I agree! That's why I bought and '06 6MT.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Shalooby
Been a while since I've seen a good controversy here so I'll light the fire.

A manual gearbox on a front wheel drive car makes no sense in regard to sport driving. A manual gearbox used during sport driving allows the ability to "steer" the car with the rear wheels. The front wheels simply change the direction of where the car is pointed and where the driver wants it to go.
In addition to that a manual gearbox also allows the driver to hold the engine at a high rpm in anticipation of the next manuver, i.e., while slowing down into a turn and preparing to excelerate when leaving it. That can and is easily accomplished with the sport shift option on the automatic.
Drive wheels on the front of a car are simply dragging the rear along for the ride. They offer no high-speed or manuvering ability at all.

Enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Shalooby : Today at 10:28 AM.

Dude, just let me enjoy my manual, will ya!

and about the option thing, whenever I go to the lot at the dealership, I give it a once over, almost all the stocked cars (TL-S) are autos, those seem to be the majority. So whatever the numbers say, is most likely what will be produced and sold. More options means more inventory and costs, so they have limits to what should be available. Otherwise the cost for the options will end up in the lap of all the buyers whether you choose those options or not. You can alwasy by a low mile 06 TL 6 speed, right?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
In no way am I trying to offend or criticize anyone.

I understand that a lot of people choose manual transmissions because they enjoy the hands-on approach to driving. I would have one myself if it wasn't for the traffic here in Norther VA. Just wanted to point out the limitations of FWD + manual gearbox with regard to competitive driving. ( it's Thursday, thought I could spark a firestorm )
Old 07-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Shalooby
In no way am I trying to offend or criticize anyone.

I understand that a lot of people choose manual transmissions because they enjoy the hands-on approach to driving. I would have one myself if it wasn't for the traffic here in Norther VA. Just wanted to point out the limitations of FWD + manual gearbox with regard to competitive driving. ( it's Thursday, thought I could spark a firestorm )
I was being sarcastic, but I'll tell you what, the FWD keeps me out of alot of trouble, and its a hell of alot more fun than the auto, i've had both of the same car and I love the gearbox alot more even if I can't fishtail it into turns and all. Besides, our cars are more for touring than sport.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Instructor

I agree with the OP. I'm glad I got mine when I did. Nice, clean looking sport sedan. It's the same concept that attracted me to the old fox-body mustang LX that you could get with a 5sp and 5.0 engine.

Again, this is purely up to personal opinion and certainly not meant to offend anyone. TL-S is a great car, and sharp looking, just not my style.

(this coming from a guy who just test drove a WRX STI and fell in love however)
Old 07-26-2007, 01:16 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Let me speak on this...

paddle shifters = same as stick to me... I've had my TLS for just under 4 months... I get the same feeling when I drop down to 2nd gear near a curve rather than hitting the brakes...

As for the MT TL period is pointless, the stock clutch is so boring... I mean I had a Civic EK with an ACT 6 Puck Clutch... thats sticky... stock clutch is just too boring...

Me I chose the Auto cuz the gf was like get the auto then you can hold my hand when we drive LMFAO
Old 07-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Advanced

They've been pushing the limits with MT drivers...

Traditionally, the automatic transmission has been an extra cost option. It continues to be on Honda automobiles. On Acuras, they have made the 6MT the same cost as the automatic. On BMWs, automatic is a $1200 option. Well, we accepted the MT for the same price as the automatic and now they're seeing how far they can go. I accepted the same price as justified because they have to build a small number of cars that are fundamentally different from the rest. I understand that there are costs associated with that.

What I wonder is if there will be a manual '09. As you know, the previous G2 TL wasn't offered with a manual gearbox. I was also shocked to see that the SUV and truck-like Honda automobiles (including CRV) come with automatic standard. It's like the MTs are getting squeezed out because they appear to a specialized taste. We know that manufacturers don't like the added complexity of building them two ways and have been trying to get away from it for years. Look at Lexus! They have almost no manual vehicles, only the IS250. They didn't even offer the manual with the big engine! Plus, no manual with all wheel drive. I don't think they want to sell them very much, but realize that many consider it a requirement, come in to look at the 6 speed and end up buying an automatic.

I've spent my whole life looking for manual transmissions against the tide of public taste. I've heard people say since the sixties that there's no reason to have them, that they're on their way to being obsolete and that soon nobody will make them anymore. I've spent my whole life hearing that my trade-in is worth less because it's manual, that they don't have a car for me to test drive because they don't stock manual, etc. But they haven't worn us down yet. My loyalty to Acura extends as long as they can sell me a car with a manual transmission. Once they can't, I'll go elsewhere.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Johndoyle
they're on their way to being obsolete
Well, they are. As the years go on, less and less people want them. A familiar chorus is "I love a manual, but I couldn't take it in traffic anymore"...I've heard that echoed plenty of times, including on here. I don't think they'll go away completely, but you won't be able to find them on "everyday" cars eventually...just high-end exotics and true sports cars. And you say you won't settle, but how many people on here said "I wanted a manual but they didn't have one so I got an auto"? Plenty. So, out of the small group that wants it, a portion of them will settle...combine that with the natural attrition from that group by necessity or choice and you can see what it is leading up to. Hell, the AMG's are autos.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johndoyle
Traditionally, the automatic transmission has been an extra cost option. It continues to be on Honda automobiles. On Acuras, they have made the 6MT the same cost as the automatic. On BMWs, automatic is a $1200 option. Well, we accepted the MT for the same price as the automatic and now they're seeing how far they can go. I accepted the same price as justified because they have to build a small number of cars that are fundamentally different from the rest. I understand that there are costs associated with that.

What I wonder is if there will be a manual '09. As you know, the previous G2 TL wasn't offered with a manual gearbox. I was also shocked to see that the SUV and truck-like Honda automobiles (including CRV) come with automatic standard. It's like the MTs are getting squeezed out because they appear to a specialized taste. We know that manufacturers don't like the added complexity of building them two ways and have been trying to get away from it for years. Look at Lexus! They have almost no manual vehicles, only the IS250. They didn't even offer the manual with the big engine! Plus, no manual with all wheel drive. I don't think they want to sell them very much, but realize that many consider it a requirement, come in to look at the 6 speed and end up buying an automatic.

I've spent my whole life looking for manual transmissions against the tide of public taste. I've heard people say since the sixties that there's no reason to have them, that they're on their way to being obsolete and that soon nobody will make them anymore. I've spent my whole life hearing that my trade-in is worth less because it's manual, that they don't have a car for me to test drive because they don't stock manual, etc. But they haven't worn us down yet. My loyalty to Acura extends as long as they can sell me a car with a manual transmission. Once they can't, I'll go elsewhere.
Man, in Canada they let you choose between manual and automatic. choose Manual and you save 1300 CDN and also the weight distribution of the car changes too by like 1% more to the back. I think the manual also has a LSD...i could be wrong though.

But im not worried about manual or auto, acura screwed us on QUALITY, man I bought a lemon TLS...damn!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
well..

I guess Ricey is subjective. I have a friend who has a TL-S and I dont really like it compared to my 04 manual TL. At some point I will be trading the TL in...To me my TL looks classic and understated. Which is what I want in a car--
The TL'-S is more of a "look at me I'm fast" type deal. I am over 30 and just dont have a need for that----
I enjoy driving a manual...period. I have always driven a manual and I dont care about traffic.
Its not to race the car...its just more enjoyable to me. I had a CL type S automatic and found it very boring.

So it may be time to start thinking about a G35 AWD---or soemthing else.
Does the G35 AWD come in manual ?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:03 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by stillhere153
Let me speak on this...

paddle shifters = same as stick to me... I've had my TLS for just under 4 months... I get the same feeling when I drop down to 2nd gear near a curve rather than hitting the brakes...
Hmmmmph! Not if the transmission has a hydraulic torque converter.

I'm an MT driver, but I could be talked into VWAG's new DSG transmission with paddles. I don't care what kind of paddles you put on a traditional AT. They're heavy, they eat torque, and they take too long to shift.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
I guess Ricey is subjective. I have a friend who has a TL-S and I dont really like it compared to my 04 manual TL. At some point I will be trading the TL in...To me my TL looks classic and understated. Which is what I want in a car--
The TL'-S is more of a "look at me I'm fast" type deal. I am over 30 and just dont have a need for that----
I enjoy driving a manual...period. I have always driven a manual and I dont care about traffic.
Its not to race the car...its just more enjoyable to me. I had a CL type S automatic and found it very boring.

So it may be time to start thinking about a G35 AWD---or soemthing else.
Does the G35 AWD come in manual ?
No, it does not.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The biggest advantage to manual! Fuel savings. If driven correctly, the manual will see better fuel numbers then the AT. Until Honda puts a 6 or 7 speed AT in the TL, the 6 speed manual will obtain better fuel economy.

It is much more enjoyable for me to drive the 6MT, and if I had to replace it, I would get the Type-S in a manual. Yes I would have to wait to get it, but it is more then worth it to me. I drove my friends Type-S this past weekend (AT), it was nice, but did not compare to driving the MT. I am waiting to see how the 09+ turn out. Hopefully they will release a Type-S within the first MY of the new model, rather then waiting half way through. Had the Type-S been out when I bought mine, I would have ponied up the money for it then.

And to the previous poster talking about the guy in the Vette, I agree, what a waste of a good car. To have a true sports car in an auto is such a waste!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:24 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Like you, I too, am a fan of manual transmissions. Prior to owning the TL, I was in a 6th gen Accord automatic and that thing was boring as hell! The fastest I'd go on the highway with it was 70 MPH. And when the 3G TL came out and had a manual offering, I was salivating because I had always liked the 2G TL, but it was in an automatic! If Acura quits making manuals in the future, I'll just buy something else that has a manual gearbox.

Although the grief with driving manuals in traffic is warranted, I had driven in bumper to bumper traffic in Atlanta's worse highways and never complained about it being that bad. What pisses me off the most about being in traffic are stupid ass tailgaters!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:31 AM
TL SL ML :)

My ONLY complaint about the TL-S looks is the size of the wheels (as someone also mentioned) it would have been nice to have 18" wheels on the Type-S come standard...

other then that the only other non TL-S specific complaints I have are: lack of ventilated seats, electric rear sunshade (thought the rear windshield isnt that big in the first place) and the speaker system that max's out at "40" and doesn't let you turn the music to the speakers max capacity
Old 07-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I personally love the fact that they give u a manual option on this car..... the control this car offers in the snow...the rain....the dry weather can out maneuver a lot of other cars......plus IF you know how to drive a car (ANY CAR) understeer is no big deal.... an example...if u live in NYC and youve taken the 59th street bridge at night or day.....i can rip those turns at 60-70 MPH with no problem only becuz the car is in stick....i tried it on my friends auto and no way can it control or haul the way the MT does.....Im probably going to be judged at this point by some dick saying im going too fast but i dont care I didnt buy the car to go 10mph........ also the type s rims are a hell of a lot stronger than the sh*t OEM rims on the 04-07 base models..... I dont know about the 18s becuz i never had them...but i heard those bend as fast....plus Im sure anyone here who has a M/T can concur on the brake dust from the brembos, the type s rims hide it very very very well. On top of all that they say its proven that the honey comb design helps aid the brakes in quicker cooling. The only reason I got the rims was because the tires cost 1000 and the rims and tires take off from the dealer ran me 1200..... I couldnt say no... =)
Old 07-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Boomer Sooner!

I'd suggest Mazda as an alternative should Acura ever stop putting MT's in their 'sports sedan'. They have kind of positioned themselves as the 'poor man's BMW' and have a real commitment to the 'sports sedan' concept, including making MT's available in all of their vehicles (except the minivan lol).

If you don't mind FWD (which, if you're on this board, you obviously don't), they are a great alternative, although admittedly not quite as refined as an Acura or Lexus. If you haven't driven one in a while, I'd suggest one of their ride-n-drive events - they're a blast!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
I think offering the manual in the TL-S only makes alot of sense for acura. The vast majority of people looking into a 6mt will be performance minded. If a performance model is offered, most of those people will gravitate towards it. Not offering a manual in the normal TL simplifies inventory while still retaining their performance "halo"

Now I understand the anger. I would have been priced out of a TL if I had been forced to get a TL-S to get a 6mt (well actually I might be driving an AT then) So it excludes a small segment of the market, but overall I thing it was a good choice.

Quick Reply: Acura really screwed over manual drivers...