3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura really screwed over manual drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
It's all good Vince. I was intentionally looking for opposition when I submitted that first post. Thanks for biting.
Yes, I have a dislike for fwd cars, be it manual or automatic, when it comes to sport or competitive driving. Hell, even driving around in the snow is a hell of a lot more fun with rwd. But do I have a problem with manual gearbox + fwd in general? Absolutely not. Is it what I want right now in the TL? Nope.

Yeah, clutches can be expensive to replace so try and go easy on them. I had a 64 VW bug that I converted into a Baja which was bad-ass. Had a boxed steel lift kit that raised the body of the pan four and half inches so I could run tall tires. Ford F-150 tires on the front. Wrangler GTs on the rear. Needless to say the clutch in the thing didn't hold up too well with what I put it through. No problem though as the back end had been cut off. Got to the point where I could pull the enging (four bolts), slap a new disc in ( I didn't care about the plate or flywheel ) and be on my way again in about 15 min. Those were the good old day's.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:57 AM
3.2 VTEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shalooby
It's all good Vince. I was intentionally looking for opposition when I submitted that first post. Thanks for biting.
Yes, I have a dislike for fwd cars, be it manual or automatic, when it comes to sport or competitive driving. Hell, even driving around in the snow is a hell of a lot more fun with rwd. But do I have a problem with manual gearbox + fwd in general? Absolutely not. Is it what I want right now in the TL? Nope.

Yeah, clutches can be expensive to replace so try and go easy on them. I had a 64 VW bug that I converted into a Baja which was bad-ass. Had a boxed steel lift kit that raised the body of the pan four and half inches so I could run tall tires. Ford F-150 tires on the front. Wrangler GTs on the rear. Needless to say the clutch in the thing didn't hold up too well with what I put it through. No problem though as the back end had been cut off. Got to the point where I could pull the enging (four bolts), slap a new disc in ( I didn't care about the plate or flywheel ) and be on my way again in about 15 min. Those were the good old day's.
yea, but on these cars it's not only 4 bolts, it's a lot harder now since (in a fwd) you have to basically move the whole transmission to the side to get to it.....that's the part that sucks and when we did it with my dad on my old car it took us the whole day because we did it in the garage without a lift just on jacks...it wasnt' too hard but it defenatly wasn't a 15min job.

about the fwd thing, most everybody that cares what drive they have on their car don't like it, and most ppl that like it don't really care what drive they got ususally.

but i'm not like that because i see it's advantages as well not just it's disadvantages of a little poorer takeoff on starts and the inability to oversteer with gas....but i enjoy it on snow very much since i can get the same effect with just locking the rear wheels with the ebrake and steering the car around and pulling myself in and out of skids, to me it's not much different.

one thing i'm wondering though, why did you buy the tl if you dislike fwd? i guess the advantages the tl has over the competition were good enough for you to deal with the fwd...same thing with me dealing with an automatic before but now it's all good since i got manual.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:23 AM
Racer

yea
Old 08-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
I bought the TL becuase it's a great car. I'm a business analyst so you can imagine the research I did when deciding what car I wanted. In the end the TL won hands down against everything I compared it against. I'm not going to go into all the details here, it would take way too long, but I will say the entire process encompassed six months. And that's being conservative.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:59 PM
3.2 VTEC

yea, i see your point, but i looked at it as the advantages u get with the m/t (breaks, lsd, suspension) and the fact that it had an extra gear and were all shorter so it makes it noticeably faster made it for me, plus the fact that it was manual which i loved most of all.