3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

acura doesnt cover rattles under 2nd owners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:18 PM
steeez

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
acura doesnt cover rattles under 2nd owners?

WHAT??? i just called in to schedule an appointment for some bulbs that went out in the car and some rattles...

the service guy told me acura doesnt cover rattles under 2nd owners, he knew i was 2nd owner cuz i told him i have 60k on the car and i have til 62 under extended warranty.

he said hed take a look for me but if the rattle isnt something obvious, they're not gonna fix it.. is this true? i took in my car for the passenger sunvisor rattle and they attempted to fix it w/o telling me this(it still rattles)

is this true or is acura of riverside just tryina tell me that so they dont have to work on it.. anyone else ever hear this?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:21 PM
East Coast Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are bullshitting you. I would be extremely upset with them.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:37 PM

Received 5,939 Likes on 2,930 Posts
If it's under warranty, it should be covered - even if you are owner #459 of that car. Ridiculous.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
this is total BS. Call acura client services and tell them of your experience.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:54 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
this is total BS. Call acura client services and tell them of your experience.
I agree
Old 04-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Actually I woudl read the warranty and see what ti says. I have had dealers even to a first owner say after 12 months 12k miles rattles and squeaks are not covered, my guess this is one of those fuzzy areas, as the car is not broken. Don't get me wrong I think it is BS, but even picky me can't expect a car to be squeaky free for the 4 or 5 years the bumper to bumper warranty is in place.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:55 PM
steeez

i'm hoping i dont run into him when i come in for my appointment.. if i do and he says the same things ill confront him about it i guess D: the first time i take my car in here at riverside they're already trying to BS me geez

thanks guys
Old 04-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
18- almost out of extended warrranty and wants soen free bull stuff
Boy they will love you
And if you check the contract you find 1 year is normal coverage limit on rattles and such - not 60 k miles !

Car parts work loose- thats life
Study the threads on noises and learn all the fixes even dealer techs dont know- that ziners have found
Old 04-03-2008, 10:52 PM
steeez

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Boy they will love you
And if you check the contract you find 1 year is normal coverage limit on rattles and such - not 60 k miles !

Study the threads on noises and learn all the fixes even dealer techs dont know- that ziners have found
haha i think its pretty stupid you had to mention my age.. seriously what does being 18 have to do with anything? realistically i shoulda taken them in at 40k when i noticed them but i waited til 60 so i can bring it in for everything. and i know ziners have found a lot of them.. but why fix them myself when i can get acura to do it for me? i was just asking if this guy was pulling my chain, cuz i know a lot of dealers do that

free bull stuff? if my light blows at 61,500, id still expect them to change it for me because the warranty is up to 62. thanks but no thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 11:04 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
He's right though. I'm 18 and when I went in they treated me like shit. A call to Client Services fixed that right up..
Old 04-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can always try to go to another dealer if they don't help. They'll try to get out of anything I am guessing if they can.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:52 PM
My username is lame

it should be still under warranty. thats jacked up if it isnt. When i bought my car, the first thing i did was went to acura to fix all the rattles and i made sure with the lady that the warranty fully gets transfered to the new owner.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Boy they will love you

WOW another comment about age. Nice and original.

Anyway the service manager at Elk Grove Acura in Sacramento told me that they'd cover my rattles for up to the 4 year warranty limit, I'm not sure if it would be the same for the extended warranty, but I'd think that it would be.

Some dealers dont handle younger people well. For instance I drive 30 miles to Elk Grove Acura just to get my oil changed cause Niello Acura which is about 5 miles away doesnt seem to want to help me cause I look like I'm only 19 = / and EG Acura treats me like they do everyone else = )
You just have to find the right dealer
Old 04-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
I think age discrimination is pure bullshit. What does it matter if the car's owner is 18 or 80? The purchase of that Acura is what helps to keep food on the table of these Acura employees, end of story.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:11 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by ecliptics
haha i think its pretty stupid you had to mention my age.. seriously what does being 18 have to do with anything? realistically i shoulda taken them in at 40k when i noticed them but i waited til 60 so i can bring it in for everything. and i know ziners have found a lot of them.. but why fix them myself when i can get acura to do it for me? i was just asking if this guy was pulling my chain, cuz i know a lot of dealers do that

free bull stuff? if my light blows at 61,500, id still expect them to change it for me because the warranty is up to 62. thanks but no thanks
Ah, what warranty EXACTLY are you talking about? The REGULAR warranty is only up to 52K, not 62K (or 48 months), whichever comes first and it's only that way because of the odometer issue. Now, if you bought an after-market warranty, it may well not cover squeaks and rattles. Where EXACTLY did you get this "unusual" 62K warranty?
Old 04-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Ah, what warranty EXACTLY are you talking about? The REGULAR warranty is only up to 52K, not 62K (or 48 months), whichever comes first and it's only that way because of the odometer issue. Now, if you bought an after-market warranty, it may well not cover squeaks and rattles. Where EXACTLY did you get this "unusual" 62K warranty?

Thought the original warranty was 4 years / 50,000 miles? What is this odometer issue? Reason I ask is my warranty is about up on both age and miles and starting to look into maybe an extended warrenty. I do not have Navigation but, have had some minor electrical issues.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ndabunka
If you buy a Certified Pre Owned from an Acura Dealer you get an additonal 12 month/12k mile warranty which brings the orginal 50k warranty up to 62k. Mine is CPO and the warranty card goes to 100k on powertrain and 62k on non power train.

I also had one of my sunvisors replaced under warranty due to a rattle at a different dealer than where I purchased my car and they didn't have any problem doing it. Though they said they were "going to order" the visor and never called me back. I stopped in one day and they had no record of it. I had to make another appointment for it and went back and sat there for like 90 minutes for them to change a sunvisor. But it was free I guess!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:45 AM
steeez

Originally Posted by SLAYER6669
If you buy a Certified Pre Owned from an Acura Dealer you get an additonal 12 month/12k mile warranty which brings the orginal 50k warranty up to 62k. Mine is CPO and the warranty card goes to 100k on powertrain and 62k on non power train.

I also had one of my sunvisors replaced under warranty due to a rattle at a different dealer than where I purchased my car and they didn't have any problem doing it. Though they said they were "going to order" the visor and never called me back. I stopped in one day and they had no record of it. I had to make another appointment for it and went back and sat there for like 90 minutes for them to change a sunvisor. But it was free I guess!
yeah, thats what i got.. cpo to 62k. so i had my appointment today, guy said they might not do the rattles if its too hard to fix but the bulbs they'll do. so i talk to a new guy and he calls up some "manager" and they wont do bulbs or rattles.. wtf? i asked him why my other dealer did a rattle before and he said "oh well it might have been under balhblah act" and basically told me they wouldnt cover my car.

dont get me wrong, i have 2k left on my warranty and i'm not trying to get "Free Shit" like someone above me stated. is it ridiculous to think i can get some rattles and a bulb fixed with 2k left? i mean if it is then these are things i can do myself, but i dont wana get bsed
Old 04-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Pro

like a couple of folks have said: the extended warranty is for mechanical breakdown coverage. The vehicles warranty only covers adjustments (ie rattles) for 12000 miles.. This has nothing to do with your age it has everything to do with policy. If Acura will not pay them for their time, why would they do the work? Would you work for free?

ON the flip side. I am lucky enough to have a good relationship with my local dealer. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to be nice to them and they don't mind doing you some favors. If they are not willing to help, the reason this site is so great is because of the infinite amount of information for you to be able to do these things yourself.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:04 PM
steeez

Originally Posted by Hardtimes
like a couple of folks have said: the extended warranty is for mechanical breakdown coverage. The vehicles warranty only covers adjustments (ie rattles) for 12000 miles.. This has nothing to do with your age it has everything to do with policy. If Acura will not pay them for their time, why would they do the work? Would you work for free?

ON the flip side. I am lucky enough to have a good relationship with my local dealer. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to be nice to them and they don't mind doing you some favors. If they are not willing to help, the reason this site is so great is because of the infinite amount of information for you to be able to do these things yourself.
ok thanksa couple ppl said that it was bs so i wasnt sure
Old 04-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Pro

btw. nice ride. speaking of age...I wish I was such a baller at 18
Old 04-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the rattle is caused by defective material or workmanship, then Acura HAS to cover it under the factory warranty....it has nothing to do with "adjustments" or 12 months.
And the onus is on the Dealer to prove that the cause is or isn't defective materials or workmanship. If it is...they HAVE to fix it! Smart dealers will typically fix it unless there is a glaring cause due to a modification or abuse by the owner. And even then, it is up to the dealer to prove that the modification or abuse caused the failure or condition. Doesn't matter if it happens on the first or last day of warranty coverage.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pnoi521
WOW another comment about age. Nice and original.

Some dealers dont handle younger people well... cause I look like I'm only 19 ...

I'm not bringing age into this - but I did get a good chuckle when you're complaining about how the dealer thinks you only look like you're 19... and your profile says your 17.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hardtimes
Are you sure about it being only for mechanical breakdown? This is the NON powertrain portion of the warranty we are talking about. IMO that should mean anything non power train (i.e. bumper to bumper), no matter what it is it should be covered. A mechnical breakdown should fall under the 100k power train warranty.

If you read the CPO Coverage on acura.com it states that the 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty starts AFTER the factory 50k warranty expires. So from 50,001-62,000 is when the 12k CPO warranty is in effect. Just trying to understand myself incase I have any issues in the next 16k miles that I have left on my non power train warranty.

"12 Month / 12,000-Mile Limited Warranty extends the new car non-powertrain coverage by 12-month / 12,000 miles (whichever comes first) and starts after new car warranty expires."
I think the dealer is just BSing him so they don't have to spend their precious time on a rattle and hope he will pass the 62k so they don't have to do anything. Of course it is possible they don't cover rattles under that 12k warranty but according to the site, it says it extends the factory warranty, so it should be the same as the factory warranty.