Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura: Combine the key and the remote!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura: Combine the key and the remote!

Picked up my WDP TL 5AT Navi on 2/17 after much research into competing vehicles. For me the TL was a slam dunk - mainly for the technology package (bluetooth, superbly designed nav system and voice recognition) and the excellent value. After 2 weeks of real world driving I'm more convinced than ever I made the right choice for me.

There is one 'feature' that baffles me though - given all the attention to ergonomics and design in the TL I can't fathom why Acura decided to keep the remote separate from the key!! Yes, this is a nit when you consider that they seem to have gotten everything else right. But that's what makes it even harder for me to understand. In addition to making noise as it dangles and slaps against the steering column, it's uncomfortable when in your pocket.

Does anyone know of a little 'holder' or some other device that one could snap the key and remote into that would keep them end to end?

TIA.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=accord

That or some duct tape
Old 03-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Cruisin'

I've considered it
Old 03-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bytebiz
There is one 'feature' that baffles me though - given all the attention to ergonomics and design in the TL I can't fathom why Acura decided to keep the remote separate from the key!! Yes, this is a nit when you consider that they seem to have gotten everything else right. But that's what makes it even harder for me to understand. In addition to making noise as it dangles and slaps against the steering column, it's uncomfortable when in your pocket.
Because car companies have to keep costs under control. The key fob was Acura-specific, not TL-specific. The 2G TL had the same one, as well.

Designing a new one would've meant redoing the whole process and that means more $$$.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Cruisin'

As the owner of a company myself I'm sensitive to the importance of cost control, but there is certainly something to be said for standardization to keep costs down. IOW, one of the most effective things Honda/Acura could do to keep the cost of their keys/keyfobs down would be to standardize on a single design for all keyfobs - either integrate the remote or don't. Going with an integrated remote on just a subset of all cars sold doesn't allow the investment cost to be amortized over the greatest number of sales.

That said, if they made me VP of KeyFobs, the single design that I would standardize on would be an integrated key + remote (now there's a shocker )
Old 03-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bytebiz
As the owner of a company myself I'm sensitive to the importance of cost control, but there is certainly something to be said for standardization to keep costs down. IOW, one of the most effective things Honda/Acura could do to keep the cost of their keys/keyfobs down would be to standardize on a single design for all keyfobs - either integrate the remote or don't. Going with an integrated remote on just a subset of all cars sold doesn't allow the investment cost to be amortized over the greatest number of sales.

That said, if they made me VP of KeyFobs, the single design that I would standardize on would be an integrated key + remote (now there's a shocker )
Yes, but they can't standardize every year.

It was standardized whenever the hell it was years ago. I'm sure there will be a new standardization on its way, with appropriate current technology thought into it. If I remember right, these fobs were introduced back in 2000 or 2001. At that time, almost only European brands were doing the integrated fob design. That was their continental signature. Trends change and spread. I'm sure we'll be seeing it on Acuras soon.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Cruisin'

You say that they standardized years ago, but based on the link contained in the reply from chill_dog it looks like Accords have been using integrated fobs for several years now.

It seems clear to me (I'd like to hear from others who might disagree) that the integrated design is clearly a more usable and evolved design. When Honda/Acura decided not to standardize on fob design I would have thought that they would have used the more 'modern' design on the Acura and not the Honda.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
IMO i would prefer how the new TOTOTA AVALON's work!!! They have a sensor you can keep in your wallet on on you key chain that as soon as you walk up to the car (10 feet or so) it unlocks your door and you press the start button and the car turns on. My buddy has this and i ENVY THE SHIT outta him.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ thery got that on the RL
Old 03-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Cruisin'

I would definitely prefer the Avalon setup (I tried it out when I test drove an IS250). But I figured I'd shoot for something that is doable as a mod. Hopefully when it comes time to replace my TL the proximity systems will be more commonplace.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:00 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI - Honda Accords have the key and key FOB combined; that is the ONLY thing I miss about my 04 Accord......