Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

__TL SC vs STI/EVO

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
__TL SC vs STI/EVO

ok so there has always been comparisons between our TL's and STI's EVO's SRT4's and any other SC or Turbo charged cars, and suprisingly although we are most of the time behind theese cars in times we have always done well and sometimes even as far as surpasing some of theese cars with our BoltOn mods. Although theese have always been the comparisons i have never liked theese comparisons why ask because IMO and i will state it again In My Opinion theese comparisons have never been just because although our TL's have the bigger engine that does nothing for ius with the weight difference. The STI EVO and the SRT4 all have a turbo and 2 of em are AWD and can eat cars alive with their Launch so i have always wondered exactly were we would be in the Food Chain if our TL's had a SC or Turbo.
anything would help and any ideas or information would be nice to hear both from experience or from knowledge or even just on pure analytical thought.

1.TL SC VS STI from a Dig. and from a roll at 30mph and 50-60mph
2.TL SC VS EVO """............................................... ........................."""
3.TL SC vs SRT4 or any other car like it ex. Cobalt SS , WRX etc.
4.TL SC vs upper level cars ex. BMW M3, audi RS4 etc.
5. any thoughts on anything.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:02 AM
The Boss

Originally Posted by Sprtan-117
ok so there has always been comparisons between our TL's and STI's EVO's SRT4's and any other SC or Turbo charged cars, and suprisingly although we are most of the time behind theese cars in times we have always done well and sometimes even as far as surpasing some of theese cars with our BoltOn mods. Although theese have always been the comparisons i have never liked theese comparisons why ask because IMO and i will state it again In My Opinion theese comparisons have never been just because although our TL's have the bigger engine that does nothing for ius with the weight difference. The STI EVO and the SRT4 all have a turbo and 2 of em are AWD and can eat cars alive with their Launch so i have always wondered exactly were we would be in the Food Chain if our TL's had a SC or Turbo.
anything would help and any ideas or information would be nice to hear both from experience or from knowledge or even just on pure analytical thought.

2.TL SC VS EVO """............................................... ........................."""
Most of my friends or coworkers have these vehicles and I have ran against these.

I ran against all the vehicle listed below when they were stock...
1. TL SC vs STi from a Dig is shameful, the STi just easily put my car a good 4 car lengths before I even hit 2nd gear.
1. TL SC vs STi from a roll at 30mph still beats the TL by a good distance...
1. TL SC vs STi 65mph, my TL actually out ran the STi pretty good...

2. TL SC vs EVO basically about the same secario as STi depending on which model of EVO it is.

3. TL SC vs SRT4, from a dig I win, from a roll around 30mph is fairly close... from the highway above55mph I can take it pretty good.
3. TL SC vs Cobalt SS, the SS is no match for the S/C'd TL in any of the secario
3. TL SC vs WRX, if the driver is excellent and with good launching experience, it can take the TL, but most of the time, it's same as SRT4.
4. TL SC vs M3... the latest model can put the TL to shame, but the 2004 model is very evenly matched, sometimes faster than the TL depending on what tranny the M3 has. S4... I have yet to run against

Old 02-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thought SCd TLs were faster than that...
Before my 07-S I had a 2nd gen CL-S I/H/E/Tein Basics. My cousin has a Evo with BoV/Intake/18' VOLKS, he has the first model that came out (dunno what year). Anywayz from a dig its impossible to take them and a waste of gas. From a roll however its a different story. Me and my cousin live a block away from each other and frequently meet on the way home so we ran several times. From a 30mph roll he can take me from 1 to 2 car lengths. From 50mph I stay right next to him during 2nd gear and start pulling on him on 3rd, by the time i hit 100 im 1 car ahead and can keep pulling if we went over triple digits. I also noticed i have a harder time beating him when its cold at night.
This is my experience against my cousins EVO.
I just have a hard time believing that boosted TLs cant run against stock EVO/STI, cuz my cousins EVO is only fast from a dig...
Old 02-22-2007, 12:16 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by juruki
Before my 07-S I had a 2nd gen CL-S I/H/E/Tein Basics. My cousin has a Evo with BoV/Intake/18' VOLKS, he has the first model that came out (dunno what year). Anywayz from a dig its impossible to take them and a waste of gas. From a roll however its a different story. Me and my cousin live a block away from each other and frequently meet on the way home so we ran several times. From a 30mph roll he can take me from 1 to 2 car lengths. From 50mph I stay right next to him during 2nd gear and start pulling on him on 3rd, by the time i hit 100 im 1 car ahead and can keep pulling if we went over triple digits. I also noticed i have a harder time beating him when its cold at night.
I just have a hard time believing that boosted TLs cant run against stock EVO/STI, cuz my cousins EVO is only fast from a dig...

That's because cold air adds a considerable amount of performance to a turbo car, it's like upgrading your intercooler in effect. You also notice you get a slight benefit in the cold with a CAI too.

Also something to note AWD cars tend to die off in the high end.

Lastly, I don't see a TL without boost beating the newer EVOs, they're too powerful.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The new EVOs have more HP than the first model? I was kinda surprised when i raced him for the first time, i thought he was gonna own me.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by juruki

have you ran your new 07 TL-S against his evo i would love to see what would happen. by the way is it AT or MT ?
Old 02-24-2007, 06:35 AM
Import and Domestic owner

Originally Posted by Sprtan-117

This is me vrs my friends EVO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bsw1RKJa4
Old 03-24-2007, 02:43 PM

Wow, good nice run, then again I did see an EVO pull a 15sec 1/4mi once.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey guys for the newb here... and the aspiring "TL HEAD", whats the bottom line? I dont get a lot of the lingo, but will a TL beat an EVO? or an STI Volkswagon?

I dont want to make a fool of myself LMAO...

I have a stock (only for the next couple of months) 05 TL 5AT... ill get whomped wont I??
Old 03-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by againstallodds1
This is me vrs my friends EVO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bsw1RKJa4
YO, I'd like to get some track time in and you can see I'm from NY. Can you pm me about where that track was that you raced at and how much to race etc.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by fant0m_TL
hey guys for the newb here... and the aspiring "TL HEAD", whats the bottom line? I dont get a lot of the lingo, but will a TL beat an EVO? or an STI Volkswagon?

I dont want to make a fool of myself LMAO...

I have a stock (only for the next couple of months) 05 TL 5AT... ill get whomped wont I??

Yeah the STI and EVO are too fast for a stock TL if they drive all out, but drop in a Supercharger (S/C) and you'll be able to keep up with them or maybe even beat them.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Pro

How many volkswagon STI's were made, bro?
Old 03-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Banned

The STi and Evo's always shine in take off from stand still due to their extreme short gear ratios. That is what's making them take off so fast but sucks ass at high speed. The rate of acceleration at 70~ 100+ mph is poor. The TL will eat them for lunch and breakfast, or brunch.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:21 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Am I missing something here but what is a volkswagen STi? I thought it's a typo but there are 2 people mentioning it. So, what is it?

Anyways, just keep in mind that STi's and Evo's can run mid to high 12's in the 1/4mile, while a TL 6MT needs at least 14 seconds. Also keep in mind that both STi and EVO make more hp and weight a few hundred pounds less. I still remember watching a few episodes of Best Motoring where Evo was able to keep up with even a NSX type S zero on the long straightaway at Fuji Speedway, where these cars would reach around 240km/h (150mph). Even at that kind of speeds, those cars are still accelerating. And also back then, those are the older versions of Evo and STi (with 5-speed only instead of 6 like now).
Old 03-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by iforyou
Am I missing something here but what is a volkswagen STi? I thought it's a typo but there are 2 people mentioning it. So, what is it?

Anyways, just keep in mind that STi's and Evo's can run mid to high 12's in the 1/4mile, while a TL 6MT needs at least 14 seconds. Also keep in mind that both STi and EVO make more hp and weight a few hundred pounds less. I still remember watching a few episodes of Best Motoring where Evo was able to keep up with even a NSX type S zero on the long straightaway at Fuji Speedway, where these cars would reach around 240km/h (150mph). Even at that kind of speeds, those cars are still accelerating. And also back then, those are the older versions of Evo and STi (with 5-speed only instead of 6 like now).
Well here's the deal... theres a Volkswagon GLI... but I saw a SLI on a volkswagon jetta... that car LOOKed sexy and SOUNDED sexy... I don't know if maybe they were dumb and put an SLI badge on the back of it, but I know it was quick because they took off real quick from a dead stop. It is a jetta, but more rounded.... looks real nice. I'm assuming a 06+

Like I said, maybe they were dumb and badged it... idk, but I assumed it was an actual type.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:21 PM

To my knowledge there is no SLI Volkswagon, the GLIs are alright, yeah the newer model Jettas are rounder and they look pretty cool. They aren't that quick stock, though, but there is a good amount of aftermarket availible for them, that is the 2.0T model. They can probably push 300+HP, easy.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:36 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
SLI, hmmm I don't think I have heard of that trim before. But some jettas are pretty fast like what Eoanou said. I have a car magazine right beside that talks about how easy it is to get 313hp from a audi TT 2.0T. Even the diesel powered jettas are plenty fast from a dead stop even when it's stock. I guess its low end torque really helps. Not sure if people tune those diesel jettas, but I think they will be pretty quick if modded too, but of course they can't match the top end of our cars
Old 03-26-2007, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

Well your cousin just made that 03 (1st year sold in the US) slower. BOV add nothing to performance unless you are somehow leaking boost out of your stock BOV. This generally happens when upgrading turbos or upping the boost to 22-23 (only on race gas on a stock 16g turbo, with a tune and a boost controller). 17's are stock so 18s are heavier and bigger in the worst place on a car making his car slower. 03s have no way of handling intakes bolted on. They need tunes. Adding them disrupts the MAF sensor and generally gets timing pulled by the ECU due to erratic airflow. Stock 03-04 can run 13.2 (rare) and 05-07 can run 12.9 (rare). Your cousin's should be mid to high 13s with excellent driving. 60 foot times on these cars are ~1.7 stock, but many have upgraded clutches to get them to 1.5s. Right there we are down a half of a second. Tuning, exhaust, and upping the boost makes the weak power band from 5-7k much stronger. A SC TL will beat a stock evo 03-07 from a roll for sure. But most ones you would race would have at least a tune, a boost cotroller, and exhaust. Which means unless you are starting at 50 or going to 140, the lightly modded evo should win slightly. It also depends on octane of gas (91 is night and day from 93 on 20+ psi) and temperature outside.

Wouldn't 350z be good comparisons? Not AWD, good top end, more luxary. I mean EVOs and STIs are built with modding in mind. My 04 RS had no power anything, no ABS, no cruise, no sunroof, no leather, no radio. These cars are also meant to road race and not race in a straight line. They just happen to do that well, too.