3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5spd AT or 6spd MT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 08:04 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
I have driven an MT all my life. I first tested the AT figuring that I should get an AT since my wife can't drive an MT and being a family guy who was all grown up I should give up on the MT and "do the right thing for the family". I then test drove an MT. I bought the MT the same day with the families whole-hearted approval.

Weather or not there is a performance difference on paper or in practice isn't the point for me and I really don't care. I just feel more at home shifting gears. The AT TL is a fine, fine car and I am sure I would have become used to it but the MT just felt better right away. OK, so I can't sip lattes unless I'm on the highway. So what ? I don't drive a car to drink and eat in it. I like driving this thing so much I still smile every day 11 months later. And, if you are a cell phone user then the HFL is perfect for the MT. I'm not really a big cell phone user but even my limited talking is made so much easier by HFL.

I guess if I was always stuck in traffic an AT might be a better choice. But I'm not stuck in traffic and I love to shift.

Look at your own situation and there is no wrong choice. Don't let any comments of "squirrely MT" worry you. It is plenty easy to make the MT a very smooth driver. Like any FWD car you can make it squirm if you want to. But, if you regularly use any throttle positions between idle and floored you will be just fine.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:14 PM
04 NBP 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learned on an MT and then drove domestic slushboxes for 5 years.

In April 2005, I test drove a CL and an RSX Type-S. I forgot how much fun shifting for myself was and chose the RSX even though I was apprehensive about driving in Atlanta traffic (especially since I worked in the GA 400 corridor at the time). I loved the RSX, but unfortunately I wrecked it in November 2005.

It never even ocurred to me to test drive a slushbox TL. I really love the 6MT and the shifter/clutch answers a question I never thought to ask - what does a luxury MT feel like? Smooth as butter is the answer. On occasion third gear is a little notchy, but that's just an Acura "feature" - my RSX was the same way. Test drive both, but I highly recommend the 6MT.

Bottom line: if you like driving, get the 6MT. If you only use a car to get from point A to point B, get the AT.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why do you guys keep saying Brembo’s and thicker sway bar like it's such a big deal? Do you knuckle heads even realize that you will not notice the difference unless you are on the track. And even then most of wouldn’t even know because you have no idea what’s going on with the car.

How many of you bring your car to track days. How many have you ever been to a race school? You guys the spew this crap probably couldn’t even break hard and rev match for the down shift.

If you bought the 6mt over the 5at to go faster then hey that’s your decision. But you could have gone faster buy going to driving school and learning how to drive right in the first place.

Now back to the topic. I say drive both cars and see what you like best. It’s hard to ask other people what you should buy because everyone’s likes are so different. Oh and yes the 6mt has more torque steer the 5at.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:59 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Question...and not an arguement here....just have seen that the right audience is here given the basic thread is about transmissions, ect. But when I am at the drag races....and am checking out all the big league guys out there in the super gas alcohol cars and what not...why are a majority of these automatic transmission cars? Why dont they go with manuals? Is it a HP to trans/clutch thing or less chance for error or PC program based or something or what? I guess the stall converters kind of make em like manuals...but whats up? ProStockJohn...can you help me out here?
Old 03-20-2006, 09:05 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Originally Posted by Donte99TL
Why do you guys keep saying Brembo’s and thicker sway bar like it's such a big deal? Do you knuckle heads even realize that you will not notice the difference unless you are on the track. And even then most of wouldn’t even know because you have no idea what’s going on with the car.

How many of you bring your car to track days. How many have you ever been to a race school? You guys the spew this crap probably couldn’t even break hard and rev match for the down shift.

If you bought the 6mt over the 5at to go faster then hey that’s your decision. But you could have gone faster buy going to driving school and learning how to drive right in the first place.

Now back to the topic. I say drive both cars and see what you like best. It’s hard to ask other people what you should buy because everyone’s likes are so different. Oh and yes the 6mt has more torque steer the 5at.

Deep breath and chill!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

Suggest you read my posts about how to properly operate a manual transmission.. no that for one moment, I felt your rant was directed towards myself.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:37 PM
8AT > 6MT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there is no such thing as "automatic transmission" in my vocab.... if your wife likes 6 speed, get the 6 speed....depends on where you live too...a lot of my friends bitch about, i hate LA traffic and driving a manual... i tell them to STFU and drive it like you stole it...lol.

but i would say 6 speed is more fun to drive...more torque steer but hey, it's a 270hp (258 with new SAE ratings) FWD car, if you're worried about torque steer...go by a G35 (ROFL ) but yeah, don't listen to anyone say "brembos are better, get the 6 speed" the car weighs so god damn much that it doesn't really matter...my 2003 civic si stopped better than this car... it stayed flatter.... also the comptech RSB i would have to say doesn't help that much.... it's only 1mm thicker, and i'm not sure so don't start flaming, but isn't the 6spd TL like a 20/21mm RSB? i dunno...how i see it, the TL is a boat, it's a luxury car....not a track car... but i agree with the others...drive both, see what you like....
Old 03-20-2006, 11:48 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Man you need to relax.

I really like your wheels by the way.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:40 AM
Instructor

Donte99TL , way to turn a discussion into a pi**ing contest.

what makes you think your some big hot shot?

don't answer. that just bothers me when people do that. I appreciate your input however.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:49 AM
Does anyone read this

Just giving my opinion, this is a forum right?

Plus, some people jump on this high horse thinking the manual is the best thing since sliced bread. But the sad truth is most of them would probably go faster in a 5at because they don't know how to drive the car in the first place.

Best thing I have ever done is gone to multiple driving schools. I think that makes you a faster driver then having Brembo’s, a 2mm thicker sway bar and a 6mt.

Sorry to get out of control people. I have just heard this topic talked about so much since I have been on this forum. It’s the same thing all the time. Bembo’s this sway bar that. You could have taken out the sway bar and half the people wouldn’t even notice. But yet here they are saying how good it is to have a couple extra mm in the sway bar, like they can feel that on the street.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:49 AM
One on the right for me

Just giving my opinion, this is a forum right?

Plus, some people jump on this high horse thinking the manual is the best thing since sliced bread. But the sad truth is most of them would probably go faster in a 5at because they don't know how to drive the car in the first place.

Best thing I have ever done is gone to multiple driving schools. I think that makes you a faster driver then having Brembo’s, a 2mm thicker sway bar and a 6mt.

Sorry to get out of control people. I have just heard this topic talked about so much since I have been on this forum. It’s the same thing all the time. Bembo’s this sway bar that. You could have taken out the sway bar and half the people wouldn’t even notice. But yet here they are saying how good it is to have a couple extra mm in the sway bar, like they can feel that on the street.

Your opinion is fine, though a word of advice, the less colorful adjectives you use the better. I've gone through a few driving schools and have done a few rides with my manager who races. I'm not saying my 6spd is any faster than an auto, but the fun to drive factor is 10x as great. Also, I like the look of the brembos. And I did notice a difference when I put in the swaybar...and I've talked to people who did the swap on their auto. Its not like a night and day difference, but subtle things that work for them. Please, post your opinion, everyone else does, just relax in the way you present everything. Remember, not every thread needs to be turned into one that bashes another. Thats what Ramblings is for.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:00 AM
Intermediate

Hey Subhuman, what's the point of arguing that the TL is not in the sports sedan category in this thread?
Old 03-21-2006, 04:03 AM
Intermediate

Hey Subhuman, what's the point of arguing that the TL is not in the sports sedan category in this thread? Can't you read the title?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by uwccpan
Hey Subhuman, what's the point of arguing that the TL is not in the sports sedan category in this thread? Can't you read the title?
Folks trying to sell their 6MT's as "so much faster" than the AT TL is the point.

The vehicle weighs in at over 3,500 lbs,each version has the exact same engine,putting that power to the front wheels.A diff. between the trannies is negligable,given that that vast majority here are not professional drivers nor drive daily on closed course racing tracks.
In regular daily driving it's all up to preference and the minute performance differences will not be realized by the vast majority.
Unless of course you want bragging rights and want to claim your MT TL is is a split second faster 0-60 mph etc. ... then be my guest.
But dont' fool yourself that this >3,500 lb. 4 door FWD family hauler is a sports car.

The OP is trying to decide wich tansmission he wants and folks are trying to paint him a sports car picture for the MT vs AT.That's just incorrect.

With that said,an AT TL with A-Spec suspension and some good rubber and the CompTech RSB will perform just the same in regular street driving as an MT.The difference being the AT driver will not be sujected to having to change gears constantly.
I've done these mods to my car and I'm very satisfied with it.
I'm also very satisfied that I can commute in relaxed comfort in my TL without having to be bothered by shifting,unless of course I choose to do so.Remember the AT has a manual shift gate as well and one can choose his/her gears as lib in it as well if should be so inclined
Personally I obviously prefer the AT over the MT because it befits this vehicle more than a MT.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Burning Brakes

I knew this question would turn into a big auto vs. manual debate again. I've seen so many threads and polls about this same topic, do we really need to do this again.

Auto vs. manual is personal preferences, and you will never convince either party they made a wrong decision because there is no right answer. It's up to the individual owner.

Shampoo is better! No conditioner is better!

I vote to close this goofy thread!

:killer:
Old 03-21-2006, 06:58 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by Subhuman
Folks trying to sell their 6MT's as "so much faster" than the AT TL is the point.
You guys are beating a dead horse here. As HiTech said, the neverending MT vs. AT debate has already been discussed at length in this forum.

Subhuman
- That is not the point! YOU were the first one in this thread to point that out in post #13 on page 1. Prior to that, not 1 person said the MT was faster than the AT. You put words into the MT owners mouths and began this ridiculous debate.

I agree with post #38 by Southernboy. He summed it up early on, but everyone else had to keep on going and act like children here. This is like debating the best color. Who f-ing cares..... it's what you like.

In the end, the original submitter is NOT getting the answer he asked for. He just has to sift through 3 pages of garbage e-fighting to try and find the answer he originally came to us with. Can we try and make an affort to act less like children and actually answer the original question?
Old 03-21-2006, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Ah, nothing else to talk about anyway...

One thing I will say, is that for me, the 6MT TL was comfortable to shift.
When I test drove the Passat with a manual trans, I could not get my legs comfortable, I sort of had to hold my entire leg over the clutch pedal, with little seat support. The clutch/transmission worked very well, easy to shift and smooth, but I knew being stuck in traffic with that car would be very uncomfortable, as I did get stuck in some traffic on the test ride.
Much better clutch action, more low end torque, easy to drive except for the pedal placement/seat design.

With the TL, I have no problems at all, pedal placement, or seat design, operating the clutch seems easy and comfortable.
You want to test drive the 6MT in a traffic jam to see if its comfortable for you.

Another plus for the 6MT is the lsd. With the stability control off, both front wheels get power, that works great in the snow. With the stability control on, my car would not move well, with it off, it digs right in and takes off quickly.

Brett
Old 03-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Pro

In my opinion the 6mt and the AT are two different cars in regards to power and quiteness (in favor of the 6mt).

I have an 05 6mt...I wouldn't have it any either way...for this car at least. I'm getting tired of the shifting (I tend to outgrow stuff fairly quickly)...But if I had to do it all over again I would still go for the manual version...

I had the automatic version for the weekend while they were servicing my TL.....IN MY OPINION, its just not as quiet or quick as the MT and I could barily "feel" the V-Tec kick in.

That and the fact that I've only seen one other MT while in my enitre "almost one year" of ownership makes me feel rare even though I know im not!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Nandito28
In my opinion the 6mt and the AT are two different cars in regards to power and quiteness (in favor of the 6mt).
"Power" wasn't the word (same engine) it just seems like the 6mt plants me further into my seat when the v-tec kicks in.....

Again just my OPINION.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:19 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

are we over this yet? lordy folks.....
Old 03-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Intermediate

I always say go with a 6sp MT, the only way I would go with the AT is if most of my driving consisted of stop & go traffic in a big city (Dallas, LA, etc).

You'll enjoy the car no matter which on you get, the MT gives the car a sportier feel & you have a little more control over the car.

-Doug
Old 03-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wise words from the mature and illiterate
I see what you are saying, but you cant compare 2 diff cars like that, I have a turbo integra, yea its a FWD car, but no one argues with me when I take it to the track/auto x on if its a real sports car or not.

With that aside........the power loss from an auto is enough already to make the AT slower, plus its slightly heavier, combine those facts it makes a 6spd TL faster already and a bit mroe agile with the sway bar and masive brakes to stop faster.

But no one here is saying its an exotic sports cars, they are just saying its quicker, which it is, dont compare your GTI to the TL, compare your AT TL to the 6spd TL, thats the idea here isnt it?

And for the poster of this thread, its up to you and your take on a manual tranny. If you like them, then its the right choice, if you dont, than get the AT. Its not that hard of a choice, take traffic and how lazy you might get into consideration, you wont lose much out from the TL with the AT compared to the MT, its mostly about preference.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Advanced

Here are a few quotes from those that test drive the all the vehicles.

And his counterpart also from MSN Auto's:

"Cons:
Starting price is higher by at least $2,000 over old model
Still front-drive platform
No S-Type anymore "
This just kills me. WTF is the point of saying that there is no S-Type anymore? Does this guy miss the little emblem on the back? If so, he can probably buy one at the dealership or on ebay.

This is not the first autmotive journalist to make this statement. Bemoaning the fact that there is no longer an S-type just points out that they don't know squat about the new TL.

Today you can order a 2006 TL with an MT6 and A-spec package, and it will clearly outperform the older S-Type.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:38 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Michael notes...I believe there is only an avg 5% difference in power loss between auto and manual isnt there? You'd think you were talking Vettes and Chevettes here ...
Old 03-21-2006, 05:24 PM
One on the right for me

I thought there was a 3mm difference between the auto and the manual.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Michael notes...I believe there is only an avg 5% difference in power loss between auto and manual isnt there? You'd think you were talking Vettes and Chevettes here ...
I have seen quotes of 3/4 second faster 0-60 mph, mostly due to the much lower gearing the 6MT has.
100 pound weight difference, LSD, lower gearing, some slight extra power loss
in the auto trans, but I think the gear ratio, extra gear, and LSD are the big things.

I think in an actual race, most AT guys would thake the 6MT guys, how many people practice taking off at full speed?
Plus, its easy to surprise a 6MT driver, while all the AT guy has to do is mash the gas pedal down.

Brett
Old 03-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Does anyone read this

Originally Posted by shockwave
Today you can order a 2006 TL with an MT6 and A-spec package, and it will clearly outperform the older S-Type.
Don't let the second gen guys here you say that. We will end up in another never ending battle.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Advanced

at or mt

I had a 05 at tl for 8 months and was not happy with it. drove a 06 mt and had to get one. The clutch takes some getting used to but so far im happy with it .Its just so much more fun to drive, I can't wait to get up in the morning and drive it, and isn't that what its all about!
Old 03-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Does anyone read this

Talking

Originally Posted by subinf
I thought there was a 3mm difference between the auto and the manual.

Also the 6mt say bar is mad out of titanium and other rare earth metals. The 5at sway bar is made out of aluminum cans and two litter bottle duck taped together.

No but seriously I think it is 3.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Instructor

I test drove both AT and 6MT and both seem about equal in power. I was, however, quite surprised at the pull of the AT. However, I just enjoy the "sports car" feel. It isn't a true sports car but for car that seems to have a combination of both luxury and performance, you're gonna have some compromises. Living in the bay area, traffic is just about everywhere but that still hasn't swayed me from getting the 6MT. I personally think the 6MT is more fun than the AT. If you don't mind shifting and feeling more in control with the car, get the 6MT. If you just wanna cruise, and/or don't like shifting, get the AT.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Advanced

Just got TL 6MT.
I was gonna go for a smaller RWD car or AWD car.
But with a baby daughter coming, had to settle with 4 door /big enough sedan...
(beats getting a mini-van or suv)

Anyway, Manual vs. Auto.
In general, only advantage Auto trans has is its convinence.
On everything else, manual is superior.
I say it's a good decision you've made, if you have picked MT over Auto... for whatever reason that maybe...

The reason I picked Manual is
- I get so bored in auto, and I blame all my crashes on that boredom.
- I wanna feel like a boy racer (watch that initial-D cartoon animation, it will rekindle a boy racer in you)

Anyway, drive safe!
Old 03-22-2006, 01:42 AM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 03-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Intermediate

I have to agree with much of Brettg. I just came from a Passat manual to a 6-Spd. I always liked the manual driving experience (except in traffic...) Shifting takes getting use to (1st and 2nd especially). It's quiet with a great range of torque that at times unknowingly you drive low RPM and most of the times high. I'll push the car more with the manual which is fun but I suffer in MPG.

I drove an auto TL for 2-days as a loaner. The convience is great. However, I like the downshift and control of the manual.

As most have said, drive both and the decide for yourself.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:16 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Lol...truely....you guys have me so down on Acura owners....I considered a Subaru Impreza WRX STI today! I just cant believe all this arguement over AT vs MT....
Old 03-23-2006, 08:24 AM
2nd Gear

Prior to my original post my wife and I did test drive both the automatic and the 6spd manual. And prior to driving the two I had read quite a few reviews of the TL. One of the things that concerned me was the torque steer of the 6spd that I had read about. I was able to really test the acceleration of the 5spd auto demo car which had about 5000 miles and was broken in. I was hesitant to really run through the gears on the 6spd which was a brand new car with only a couple of miles on it. I did not want to beat on a car that had not been broken in and that some unknown person would eventually be buying. However, I drove it hard enough to notice the pull when shifting.

The intent of my original post was to simply see what those that bought the 6spd thought of what I now understand is called torque steer. I guess I was also wondering if any 6spd owners wish they had purchased the 5spd AT because of the torque steer issue.

I love driving a manual. I REALLY enjoyed driving the 6spd TL even though I did not want to push it. My wife hates driving a stick. I think it has something to do with driving through the window of a video store she managed when driving her first manual for one of the first times many years ago. Having said that, she saw me light up when we drove the 6spd and told me to buy the car! I hope to do so soon.

Chris
Old 03-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Prior to my original post my wife and I did test drive both the automatic and the 6spd manual. And prior to driving the two I had read quite a few reviews of the TL. One of the things that concerned me was the torque steer of the 6spd that I had read about. I was able to really test the acceleration of the 5spd auto demo car which had about 5000 miles and was broken in. I was hesitant to really run through the gears on the 6spd which was a brand new car with only a couple of miles on it. I did not want to beat on a car that had not been broken in and that some unknown person would eventually be buying. However, I drove it hard enough to notice the pull when shifting.

The intent of my original post was to simply see what those that bought the 6spd thought of what I now understand is called torque steer. I guess I was also wondering if any 6spd owners wish they had purchased the 5spd AT because of the torque steer issue.

I love driving a manual. I REALLY enjoyed driving the 6spd TL even though I did not want to push it. My wife hates driving a stick. I think it has something to do with driving through the window of a video store she managed when driving her first manual for one of the first times many years ago. Having said that, she saw me light up when we drove the 6spd and told me to buy the car! I hope to do so soon.

Chris
I dont regret getting the 6MT, quite the opposite, if we had got the auto trans, I would be real sad. The wife would not have allowed the auto trans, and would have held out for a luxury boat like the avalon, ford 500, or something booring
like that. The wife on the other hand, now leans twards wanting the boat, but she is stuck with the TL unless she comes up with a lot of cash somehow.

Brett
Old 03-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Obsessed

Chris
I'd say it is pretty obivous that very few MT owners, that wish they had gotten an auto, so you can take that as being very satisfied with their decison. On the other hand there have been quite a few AT owners that wish they would have purchased the MT.

What does that tel you?

Get over it, just get the MT, you won't be sorry.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:59 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by hondafan
I'd say it is pretty obivous that very few MT owners, that wish they had gotten an auto, so you can take that as being very satisfied with their decison. On the other hand there have been quite a few AT owners that wish they would have purchased the MT.

What does that tel you?

Get over it, just get the MT, you won't be sorry.
Just to continue....

On yet...the other hand.....

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=1#post1417951

sometimes timing is everything!
Old 03-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Instructor

I think its interesting that a lot of the owners on this website have the Manual, despite how rare it is, and for me, more complicated to purchase.

Quick Reply: 5spd AT or 6spd MT?