Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd gen TL and tint scratches

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:00 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen TL and tint scratches

I just had my 2006 tinted, and right away noticed that front passenger side film has a vertical scratch on it.

After making the call to the shop, manager said that Honda cars use plastic component on a gasket and that Honda cars are known to have this issue, but he's never heard Acura's have the same issue. Long story short, he wants me to come in and pay extra to install moleskin.

Does anyone have knowledge on the subject? My other windows are fine and I am thinking the shop just wants to take me for a ride. There were no scratches from rolling up or down before tinting, and I have no idea if a marginally thicker window (after tint was put on) will cause something in the door panel to scrape against the window and cause scratches...
Old 07-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Racer

Hi,

Do a search on moleskin. There are lots of threads about the issue.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:37 AM
NTMD8

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What he said, Some people don't get any scratches others gets scratched immediately. Moleskin is this soft felt type stuff they add to the rubber part that makes contact with the windows. My installer cahrged me $50 for the moleskin and installation.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Racer

I understand what moleskin does, but what are these scratches caused by, and how come some windows get scratches while others are not? Is it a manufacturer's defect?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:14 PM
DoublYouDP

moleskin won't fix ur problem......
Old 07-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
the shop guy acknowledged the issue. His installers should have seen that rubber blade and told you about it them. It should be free to you or about 12 dollars just for the molesking. Due to their stupidity of not noticing, they are going to be charging labor to redo it, the shop should cover it.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^I agree
Old 07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Border Patrol

HA....I live in the desert where sand is a BITCH....so after being here a few weeks last summer my tint was a disaster...so in Jan I installed Moleskin and had the windows retinted....same crap w/ scratching AND my mole skin started to peel off and get adhesive on the tint itself.....I did everything to a T installing, meticulously cleaning everything w/ alcohol...and still....scratched....I've about given up
Old 07-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Racer

Do most of you have issues with moleskin falling off after a while? I almost don't want to deal with getting my windows tinted if I'm going to have to reinstall moleskin every year.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
the shop guy acknowledged the issue. His installers should have seen that rubber blade and told you about it them. It should be free to you or about 12 dollars just for the molesking. Due to their stupidity of not noticing, they are going to be charging labor to redo it, the shop should cover it.

10 posts and yours was right on the money.
I had never taken the door panel off so don't know about the parts that are inside. You are referring to a rubber blade - on our cars, does it have a hard plastic component that can scratch? I think all cars have rubber blades but not all of them scratch..what's so different about our car's rubber blade?

I called the shop again and there was another guy who said installing moleskin would fix this but he'd need to charge me for labor because the door panel needs to be taken off. Somehow I'm not trusting them to disassemble anything...
Old 08-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just cut the rubber off that rubs against the window on the inside.... when I did that the only thing i had to worry about was whipping the seat belt off into the window.... people say it makes the road noise noisier on the inside... it think it stayed the same... but it saved my tints. moleskin is the same thing as the plastic IMO if something gets stuck it'll destroy the tint the same way the plastic does. it doesnt offer any more protection than the rubber.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I installed the moleskin myself. It's not hard and took me about an hour and a half. It comes with instructions. Door panels come off easier than I thought. Just be aware of the screw where the door bump is. Unscrew it very very slowly. Other than that, it's a breeze. Just DIY and then get your tint re-done.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:00 AM
USDM -> JDM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankie02
moleskin won't fix ur problem......
i may or it may not fix the problem. some people have moleskin installed and it has been a good fix for them. i would put it on there as a precaution. you either pay to do it right or you dont do it at all. so my advice to you is to get it installed.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
just cut the rubber off that rubs against the window on the inside.... when I did that the only thing i had to worry about was whipping the seat belt off into the window.... people say it makes the road noise noisier on the inside... it think it stayed the same... but it saved my tints. moleskin is the same thing as the plastic IMO if something gets stuck it'll destroy the tint the same way the plastic does. it doesnt offer any more protection than the rubber.
i agree, my tinter cut off part of the seal and then applied moleskin to it. i didnt notice any increase in road noise although ppl have claimed to have. i dont have any scratches, but as some other ppl have mentioned the scratches are the result of dust and dirt getting caught between the rubber and the window.

the entire door panel actually doesnt need to come off. thats how some ppl do it, but you can just pull at the plastic between the door handle and window. basically what u do is roll ur window all the way down. then stick ur fingers into the door where the glass would be. pull at it and it should pop off, it wont come all the way off but the top part will be released so that you can get to the rubber. once released if you look inside you'll see the rubber gasket everyone is talking about. just pull it out from the edge and it comes out easily. to reinstall just do these steps in reverse.

maybe you can just pull out the gaskets and then bring them to the shop to reinstall them that way they dont need to charge u for labor. however if ur tint is already scratched they should re-tint ur window for free because it shouldnt have scratched so soon and because they made the mistake of not installing the moleskin to begin with. if you do bring in just the gaskets then make sure they'll still give you a lifetime guarantee (although if they aren't re-tinting they might not have given you one to begin with)

if you have any questions let me know
Old 08-01-2008, 11:54 AM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
don't roll your windows all the way down. Keep them up enough so that nothing(debris) can get in between the glass and rubber.