2005 G35 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005 | 06:47 PM
Cruisin'

2005 G35 6mt

Iīm seriously thinking about selling my TL and getting the new G. I know it does not have all of the technology(electrical) that the TL has, but when I drove my friendīs it felt amazing. Do you think thaat better handling and acceleration will trade of for what we have. i.e. DVD-Audio.
Old 02-01-2005 | 06:50 PM
Shift_faster

Search. This has been discussed numerous times. The views you will get on Acurazine are biased towards...hmm...Acuras. Try the same question at some Infiniti forum, you'll get some different answers.

Bottom line? Is it worth it to you?
Old 02-01-2005 | 07:28 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Nice post for your whole 3rd post!!! Sorry, but you sound like a troll who doesnt even have a TL.
Old 02-01-2005 | 07:49 PM
WDP Is Faster

You're obviously going to get a bias opinion on this directed towards the TLs because this is a Acura-TL forum. You're basically asking TL owners if the G35 is better than the car they own... ..
Old 02-01-2005 | 09:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

, if G is really that good?? I testdrove coupe and sedan way back to the summer 2003, they sucked and were noisy and rattling.

IMO, I bet I'd buy one if that test-drive was as good as TL.
Old 02-01-2005 | 09:38 PM
aw1
Pro

i would say do what your heart tells you. the g35 is a nice car, good power, rear wheel drive, etc. the things i dont like about it is its smaller than the tl and certain parts feels kind of cheap. for me, i would never trade in my TL for a G35.
Old 02-01-2005 | 09:55 PM
Racer

Hey, just ask your self... am I going to drive around crazy every day to notice full power of G35?

Or drive normal, and enjoy the lux of TL?

I drive fast like MOFO, but I decided to go with TL.... It was better choice for me.
Old 02-01-2005 | 10:03 PM
Advanced

I don't like the way that the g35's look on the outside. I like most of the interior, but I think that the radio looks like something from the early 90's (even though it is a Bose). It's also a bit small for me. You can get AWD though which could be a big plus.
Old 02-01-2005 | 11:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by reloaded
You're obviously going to get a bias opinion on this directed towards the TLs because this is a Acura-TL forum. You're basically asking TL owners if the G35 is better than the car they own... ..
It's only because we know how great the TL really is.
Old 02-02-2005 | 12:59 AM
Safety Car

we talking about sedan or coupe? the coupe is the only version of the G i would consider getting. but its a coupe and is suppose to be more of a sports car then a touring sedan. the TL is a sports sedan and its hard to compare the two.
Old 02-02-2005 | 01:05 AM
Intermediate

I sat in the G35 about a month ago at the local auto show. Nasty interior. I really expected a whole lot more. The TL's interior simply blows it away. That nasty three spoke steering wheel is the same as the one in my wife's Nissan Quest. Yuk.
Old 02-02-2005 | 01:25 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MaX800XT
I sat in the G35 about a month ago at the local auto show. Nasty interior. I really expected a whole lot more. The TL's interior simply blows it away. That nasty three spoke steering wheel is the same as the one in my wife's Nissan Quest. Yuk.
i agree the steering wheel is the ugliest part of all nissan and infiniti cars. although they changed the interior a bit on the G35 it still doesn't quite do the car justice(at least for the coupe). the outside is beautiful while the inside looks too plasticky.
Old 02-02-2005 | 03:26 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Search. This has been discussed numerous times. The views you will get on Acurazine are biased towards...hmm...Acuras. Try the same question at some Infiniti forum, you'll get some different answers.

Bottom line? Is it worth it to you?

I think he will also get alot of biased answers in the G35 forum too. The G35 is a very good car but just don't like the looks outside and especially inside. Plus their are alot of used G35 out there that is selling pretty cheap. So looks like everyone is getting rid of them and plus they depreciate quite a bit for a luxery sport sedan car!!!
Old 02-02-2005 | 06:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

got to agree

you go to each forum and you get a biased opinion. Nobody wants someone to say they made a bad choice. As for depreciation, both car sink pretty much the same. Both cars are being sold as near luxury/entry performance, etc.

It is not like a 4 cyl camry that sells for 20,000 and considered the standard for family transportation. They tend to depreciate less. Of course you do not know until it is time to trade. Without beating the dead horse, you do not get what the books tell you all the time. You have to find the right buyer who wants the car and cannot afford a new one or always wants to save the cash and buy used.
Old 02-02-2005 | 07:17 AM
Licking Platters Clean

Ah, so many TLs, so many touchholes that don't deserve them.
:whocares:
Old 02-02-2005 | 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

I test drove the G35 this past weekend actually. Its a very powerful car, if you want a even more sportier car than the TL this is the car for you. It had a louder exhaust note, more powerful engine, and probably better handling. The interior materials have sucked in the G, but the new 2005s have improved, using real metal components, intelligent keys. If you want a more luxury feel, quiet car, and really smooth, then the TL is for you. I love both cars actually, I have a TL now, wish I had a G35c to toss around once in a while

Bottom line, you can't compare the coupe to the TL. The TL would compare to the G35 sedan. Good luck in your choice.
Old 02-02-2005 | 08:54 AM
Wants an M3 in

Originally Posted by cTLgo
I test drove the G35 this past weekend actually. Its a very powerful car, if you want a even more sportier car than the TL this is the car for you. It had a louder exhaust note, more powerful engine, and probably better handling. The interior materials have sucked in the G, but the new 2005s have improved, using real metal components, intelligent keys. If you want a more luxury feel, quiet car, and really smooth, then the TL is for you. I love both cars actually, I have a TL now, wish I had a G35c to toss around once in a while

Bottom line, you can't compare the coupe to the TL. The TL would compare to the G35 sedan. Good luck in your choice.
i think cTLgo is exactly right. I love the smoothness of the TL. I am a young guy and have no family so its not that I even need this car but I like it. I would much rather have that sports car feel. When I found out I was moving to northern Ohio I decided the TL was the way to go. It snows here daily and I wouldnt survive with RWD ... da well I leased so we shall c what happens
Old 02-02-2005 | 09:28 AM
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by TTLL
Iīm seriously thinking about selling my TL and getting the new G. I know it does not have all of the technology(electrical) that the TL has, but when I drove my friendīs it felt amazing. Do you think thaat better handling and acceleration will trade of for what we have. i.e. DVD-Audio.

I have a couple of friends who have the 04 G35 and they all say the 05 is just mainly cosemitic changes. Remember that they got extra HP but lost TORQUE in return. I went on their board a couple of days ago after I picked up my 05 NBP ASPEC 6mt TL. 0-60 times are between 6.1 to 5.9 for the 6mt sedan. That was stated by edmunds. They might better top end but overall the TL in my opnion is much better buy. Not to mention the Acura's hold their value a little bit better than the Infiniti's.
Old 02-02-2005 | 10:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

depends on what you want

I have both cars, the G and the TL. My wife and I prefer the G I am not as interested in a few toys as I am in the handling and the acceleration. The TL has had more problems than the G and more rattles. Sure you can get a good car or a bad car..

The only problem I have had with the G is the horn LOL. the dual tones do not always work. I happened to discover this one day. I will have the dealer look at it during an oil change... The G does out handle the TL. The gearing is different which accounts for a different driving experience. I have not taken the G above 5000 RPMs. It has great mid range power which is perfect for the type of driving that I do.

The TL has some torque steer and VSA does not kick in as soon as the Gs (I can always turn it off) I suspect that since the G just has more power to the wheels, it feels like it comes on earlier, where it might just be the additional power causing this. But it is one of those things that will not have you buy one car vs the other.

The G has 55 series tires and the TL has 50s Yeah 8 EL tires to replace!!!!!
I will probably go with a 50 series tire on the G and a 45 on the TL when they do get replaced. That changes the cars' handling somewhat.

As for mileage, well the G goes about as far on its 20 gallon tank as the TL does on a 17 gallon tank. I am running 93 in both cars. I was told by the infiniti dealer that the VQ engine will take any grade with no problem. The engine might not perform to its peak is all. I have seen the forum comments on this and I would not mess around with octane to save a few bucks and do who knows what to the engine.

The compression ratio on the TL is 11-1 while the G is 10.3 - 1. I would guess that the g would do better on a lower octane just for this reason. But my former acura was a 3.2 S with 10.5 - 1 and when I asked the sales rep if it was necessary for 91, he said Michael you are buy the car and paying cash for it I think you can afford the 91, so what risk finding out.

Aside from that, people like both wheels for different reasons. I listen to the same raido stations as I did with my older car so car radio/CDplayers do not matter. Both cars are comfortable.

I have not received my revised insurance papers yet to talk about the cost of insurance on both cars, but my former Cl S was not cheap.

Mods - I am looking at exhaust for now. I am told I can have a real dual exhaust (with header) with a borla system on the G. I know comptech fairly well and had a set of headers on my cls. The headers make more of a difference above 5000 RPMs. Since I do not get into that range too often I am not sure what benefit it will be. The original pipes on the CLS were a good size so changing them out would not yeild much more power, so I left it alone.

The G does seem more cramped with the 3.5 VQ so I might not play around with the engine much.

As for resale who knows... I will know more later..
Old 02-02-2005 | 11:23 AM
G35 Freak

As everyone else is saying, they are very similar but very different at the same time. You need to determine what is better for you. Personally, I would get the TL over the G35 sedan. I don't like the way the sedan looks compared to the TL. When you are lookinga t the G35 coupe, my thoughts change.

What exactly do you need the car for? Your daily commute or will you be doing something else with your car? Autocross? Track events? If those options may be in your near future, I would be looking at the G35 without a doubt. It all depends on what you want.
Old 02-02-2005 | 11:40 AM
aw1
Pro

I agree. Dont like the G35 sedan, but I do think the coupe is hot. Dont mind having it as my toy car for the weekend and having the TL for ppl hauling.
Old 02-02-2005 | 11:41 AM
Racer

When I got my car a year ago, I had many choices of 6MT TL's at several dealerships in CT. I got a couple thou off the TL and got my choice.

There was exactly one 6MT G35 in CT between the 3 dealerships, and that Infiniti dealer wanted a premium. I guy in my office special ordered a G35 6MT, but payed a reported $5K premium to a NYS dealer to get it. At the time, our company even had the Nissan VIP discount - which Infiniti dealers were not honoring on G35 6MT's.
Old 02-02-2005 | 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pettydw
When I got my car a year ago, I had many choices of 6MT TL's at several dealerships in CT. I got a couple thou off the TL and got my choice.

There was exactly one 6MT G35 in CT between the 3 dealerships, and that Infiniti dealer wanted a premium. I guy in my office special ordered a G35 6MT, but payed a reported $5K premium to a NYS dealer to get it. At the time, our company even had the Nissan VIP discount - which Infiniti dealers were not honoring on G35 6MT's.
So? Sounds like your Infiniti dealers are trying to rip you off. When I was choosing, I was getting the same off either car.
Old 02-02-2005 | 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

And as petty points out that pricing can make a difference... If you were to like another car a little better and had to pay a premium for one, your tastes can change a lot...
Old 02-02-2005 | 11:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rets
, if G is really that good?? I testdrove coupe and sedan way back to the summer 2003, they sucked and were noisy and rattling.

IMO, I bet I'd buy one if that test-drive was as good as TL.
The 05 has changed quite a bit from the 03, with several interior and exterior improvements.

Still not as luxurious a ride, and while it is fun to drive, it is not worth $40K that they chage for them in my area (for the G35x).

The coupes are rather fun though...
Old 02-02-2005 | 01:01 PM
Instructor

mickey3c

I believe that the TL already has 45's on it. The come standard. Mine certainly did. 235/45/17's
Old 02-02-2005 | 01:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Yoda117
The 05 has changed quite a bit from the 03, with several interior and exterior improvements.

Still not as luxurious a ride, and while it is fun to drive, it is not worth $40K that they chage for them in my area (for the G35x).

The coupes are rather fun though...
Thanks.
Old 02-02-2005 | 01:09 PM
I6

The TL does have 45's. I have 235/45/17 also.

I was all set on buying the G35 but than I decided to test drive the TL. I just fell in love with it.
I still like the G35, sedan and coupe. It handles great.
Old 02-02-2005 | 01:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

opps yes sorry I got them confused with my 01 which came with 50s.
Old 02-02-2005 | 10:23 PM
Instructor

Ofcourse you wont get any love in this forum. Why dont you register on g35driver.com and post this one, i'm 100% for sure ppl there will give you GOOD advise, you wont here any CRAP talking about the TL. I've been lurking around both forums and for sure G drivers are more mature, a lot of ppl here are childish. If you go for the 05 g35 that will make you "only" the few TL drivers that traded in theirs to get the G
Old 02-03-2005 | 06:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have to agree with this comment since I own both car and on both forums... they do seem more mature...
Old 02-03-2005 | 10:39 AM
G35 Freak

One other thing that I want to mention. If the dealers in your area aren't working with you on the G35, I would recommend contacting Grubbs Infinit in Dallas, Texas. It sounds so far away, but they WILL get you the best price and they'll even ship it to you at your house. If you fly down and pick it up, you can do the break in on your drive home!! MANY people have bought from them on www.freshalloy.com and have nothing bad to say about them.
Old 02-03-2005 | 12:42 PM
Racer

I think you answered your own question. If I drove someone else's car and thought "it felt amazing", then why would I not trade for it. Didn't you drive a G when you bought your TL? These were the only 2 cars I seriously considered and I chose the TL over the G. Not only because of the interior and gadgets, but because I liked the feel and drive of the TL better. Better handling and acceleration are arguable. Unless your driving each car close to the limits, the handling differences in my opinion are negligible. I've very rarely come close to the TL's limits in a year of driving. And, despite what a lot of people think, the acceleration is comparable. If you're going by your butt dyno, that's the G's higher low-end torque that you're feeling. The best 1/4 mi figures for both that I've seen are comparable stock vs. stock. Unless you're into drag racing, who cares anyway.
Old 02-03-2005 | 02:01 PM
Instructor

I'm surprised so many people want a G35 coupe as a "toy" for weekend purposes. The car drives pretty similarly to the TL. I think I'd prefer something a little more wicked for a weekend car, like a Lancer Evo, STI, S2000, 350Z, SLK350, RX8.. you get the picture. The G35 is pretty much a TL minus some comfort and gadgets and plus some handling (power really isn't much different). Just wait 6 months for a new 2005 330i. That car is sweet.