3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Crash tested by IIHS today. A TOV'er was there!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Crash tested by IIHS today. A TOV'er was there!

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=195607
Old 01-29-2004, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Thanks!!
I wonder if the driver's door was able to be opened after that?
Old 01-29-2004, 04:42 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

That's interesting. The passenger side airbag deployed even though there was no one on that seat (I thought our TLs can tell if there's someone there or not?)

Further, there's a blotch of red paint on the driver's headrest, probably indicative of the impact from the whiplash.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, what do they do with the cars after the test - I sure wouldn't mind picking up the rims for my car.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Instructor

The front wheels may be bent.
I think the TL knows if someone is sitting funny in the passenger seat and turns off the side airbag. I think it senses the weight too. Well, now that I said that.... wouldn't it turn off the front airbag as well if no weight was in the car? You're right Lore. What is the deal?
How long does it take for the Institute to post the full results?
Old 01-29-2004, 06:08 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I hope the test results will allow insurance agencies to lower their rates on this car.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

I was in an accident with my '02 Accord and the passenger bag deployed even though there was nobody sitting there (Mine didn't but I had my seatbelt on and didn't really need it). My '00 TL senses/disables if there is a questionable/light weight, like a kid, but I don't think they disable if there is NO weight. I think they deploy just in case.
The cars used in testing are auctioned off but they are sold with the condition that they can't be used on the road again. (ie parts car)
Old 01-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by warccm
So, what do they do with the cars after the test - I sure wouldn't mind picking up the rims for my car.
Maybe they run it down the highway at 50 mph to see if there is still any vibration.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Racer

Originally posted by warccm
I have two thoughts about this. 1st) if the IIHS bought this car then my guess would be that the car is sold to another party which probably scraps the car for parts.

2nd) If the car(s) are donated by the manufacturer for testing, then they are probably returned back to the manufacturer who probably scraps them as well.

I don’t know this for a fact, but just my thoughts.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Racer

By law, all vehicles used for testing purposes must me demolished and scrapped once testing is completed on them. They can not remove, or sell any of the parts on teh vehicle.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:51 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
looks impressive, passenger compartment looks un- touched,dummy has no marks on it. Love to see the data, How fast was the car goig?
Old 01-29-2004, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The IIHS test is a 40 mph offset barrier test. The result looks visually good! Makes me feel a little better, though I hope and pray I don't crash my new toy.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:31 AM
6th Gear

hey - i was the one who was there. the car looked really good afterwards as best i could tell. i tried to take a pic of the footwell area, but the dummy's legs were in the way and it didn't turn out...but there didn't appear to be any major intrusion. i didn't stay long enough to see them open the car, but it looked like it would open okay. there was a small crinkle in the sheet metal above the driver's door, but no major buckling. the red spot on the head restraint was indeed grease paint from the dummy's head contact on rebound.

i'm not sure of the logic thats used to define passenger side bag deployment. i do know that the OPDS in the passenger seat is for the side bag.

the full results probably won't come out until they have a couple of other cars in the TLs category. they also need a good bit of time to produce the reports. since the Accord did well, you can expect similar results with the TL.

after the study is complete, the cars sit in their display area for a while, then i believe they go to local junkyards. they are originally purchased from local dealers right off of the lot.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally posted by woodster
hey - i was the one who was there. the car looked really good afterwards as best i could tell. i tried to take a pic of the footwell area, but the dummy's legs were in the way and it didn't turn out...but there didn't appear to be any major intrusion. i didn't stay long enough to see them open the car, but it looked like it would open okay. there was a small crinkle in the sheet metal above the driver's door, but no major buckling. the red spot on the head restraint was indeed grease paint from the dummy's head contact on rebound.

i'm not sure of the logic thats used to define passenger side bag deployment. i do know that the OPDS in the passenger seat is for the side bag.

the full results probably won't come out until they have a couple of other cars in the TLs category. they also need a good bit of time to produce the reports. since the Accord did well, you can expect similar results with the TL.

after the study is complete, the cars sit in their display area for a while, then i believe they go to local junkyards. they are originally purchased from local dealers right off of the lot.
Woodster, thanks so much for the photos!!! They are great!

Any comments from the IIHS people following the test you can share?

Any Honda People there?

Are you going to see the TSX today?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:01 AM
6th Gear

Originally posted by LED Master
Woodster, thanks so much for the photos!!! They are great!

Any comments from the IIHS people following the test you can share?

Any Honda People there?

Are you going to see the TSX today?
Glad to share - I have a couple of others, but they didn't turn out so great, so I didn't bother to post. I may post a few here if I get some time.

No comments from the IIHS folks - they didn't really get into much detail while the visitors were around. I know there were some Honda guys there, as well as some Geico guys - but I didn't talk to any of them (wasn't sure who was who).

Not able to get back up there for the TSX today. I expect it to perform equally well even though its smaller. Honda has really put a lot of effort into safety recently, and all I can say is watch out Volvo.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:10 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
All I can see is the dummy's head. How about the rest of him?

Old 01-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally posted by woodster
...................Not able to get back up there for the TSX today. I expect it to perform equally well even though its smaller. Honda has really put a lot of effort into safety recently, and all I can say is watch out Volvo.
I agree, just about every honda/acura tested lately has done really well, guess that new research facility has greatly helped them with the designs.

This is where Honda/Acura has a huge advantage over Nissan/Infinity, the Nissans just do not do well in crashes!

I can not say this for 100% of their cars, but the ones I have looked at have never rcvd a 5 star, or good rating from NHTSA or IIHS. My 95 Maxima was a dog in safety ratings, and cars after that were not much better!

Thanks again, and do post photos even if you do not think they are good.