Sponsored by:

from a 2002 maxima...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 10:13 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from a 2002 maxima...

to possibly a new TL or A4...

couple of questions for you guys, in particular those that have had the 2k2 max or have driven it...

i drove the TL and loved it...quality seemed better, it drove like a more solid car...handled better, and without starting a huge debate, i'm going to say that acceleration is a wash ...i hadn't driven it on the highway though, and i wanted to know how the two cars compared

my major complaint with my max is that it has too much wind noise...not just from what sounds like an air leak in the back seat, but also just from the general lack of sound insulation...how does the TL compare?

also, my car's shocks seem to just not rebound very well whenever i go over a dip on the highway...not terrible, but definitely could be better with a "tighter" car.

any information on those two major concerns and just general observations would be helpful. thanks guys, hope to join your community soon.

just as an aside, A4 seems like a nicer car (at least from the inside), but poor reliability ratings and small size are counting against it quite a bit...
Old 04-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Racer

I upgraded from a 1999 Maxima and frankly there is no comparison. The TL is much much quicker, and it handles like a dream. I hated the body roll on the Maxima (the first upgrade everyone on the maxima message boards recommended were strut braces). Throttle response is far better on the TL and I love the engine sound.

Oh, and the interior is a bit better on the TL.

Drive a G35 and you'll see a lot of familiarity with the Maxima, drive the TL and you'll be blown away!
Old 04-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ibeplato
I upgraded from a 1999 Maxima and frankly there is no comparison. The TL is much much quicker, and it handles like a dream. I hated the body roll on the Maxima (the first upgrade everyone on the maxima message boards recommended were strut braces). Throttle response is far better on the TL and I love the engine sound.

Oh, and the interior is a bit better on the TL.

Drive a G35 and you'll see a lot of familiarity with the Maxima, drive the TL and you'll be blown away!
G35 has nothing familar with the Maxima. It is solid and damn quiet on the highway at 90 mph. I had 2 5th gen Maximas, and I know what he means by the wind noise and road noise. I hated it too. But my G35 has none of that.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Intermediate

My history??? I had a 2000 3.2TL....and bought a 2002 A4 3.0 6 Speed Quattro. The only thing the audi had on the TL was Handling (Although I had the sports package with Summer tires), and the solidness of the door shutting!! The quirkyness of the Audi drove me CRAZY!!

Thats it!! In Nov, I got myself a 04 TL 6 Speed....My goodness----I would NEVER EVER go back to an AUDI after having such good luck with Acuras!!

I could imagine that the 04 TL with Summer tires may be close to on par handling wise than the AUdi I had..
Old 04-17-2004, 07:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Perhaps you should read my post on this .. I own a 2003 Automatic Maxima SE, and a 2004 Acura TL w/ the A-spec rims.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76726

also consider my posts as it pertains to the Max on this thread:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76761
Old 04-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Safety Car

For the record, the TL handles a hella lot better than the "jittery" and "bouncy" Maxima.... there is a nice solid feeling about the car .. however, it does weigh considerably more than the 3300lb stock weight of the Max. auto.

Wind noise is less in the TL, however I prefer the highway feel of the Maxima steering b/c there is more resistance. I've posted several times about how the TL's steering is overcompensated on the highway .. leading you to tend to want to use two hands on the wheels to prevent oversteer into a another lane at times.

Quality goes to the TL .. however, my TL is riddled w/ little creaks/rattles that i frankly don't even care about anymore b/c my last car, the TL-S was also riddled with rattles from day 1. It's a hopeless battle w/ Acura regarding rattles/creaks.

Low end is much better in the Maxima thanks to the VQ torque.. however, throttle response is worse in the Maxima thanks to the ECT glitch that Nissan still hasn't resolved (IMHO). Top end definitely goes to the TL .. and there is LESS torque steer in the auto TL vs. the auto Maxima. Traction control is significantly better in the TL vs. the Maxima.

Braking is about the same in both cars .. can't really discriminate b/w the two cars.

The Maxima has a better 360 degree window view compared w/ the TL -- for whatever reason. I find more blind spots in the TL and frequently find myself craning my neck to make sure i'm not gunna run into a car in the lane next to me during a lane change -- i don't have this problem in the maxima.

Over bumps .. the TL is much more composed .. and more specifically, when driving at highways speeds banking into a turn and running over those metal dividers in the highway .. the TL stays more planted when traversing those dealies compared w/ the Maxima .. who's front end wants to jump around.

Engine is quieter in the TL for sure!

Interior room goes to the TL as well -- my passengers comment that the rear leg room is better in the TL... ergonomics also go the TL hands down.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Coming from an 1999 S4 and renting 2001-2003 Maximas quite frequently, the TL is by far the best of the three. The new (2004+) S4 and G35, will, however, give the TL a run for its money.

-josh
Old 04-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Safety Car

The 2004 S4 doesn't give the TL a run for it's money .. it just destroys the TL hands down ... no comparison.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Pro

Have any of you considered the Volvo S60R?? My wife and I were convertable shopping at Volvo (C70 HPT) when she encouraged me to trade my 2002 Maxima for a demo (6k) S60R. Needless to say, I was tempted but resisted temptation nonetheless.

After I checked it out, I asked her if she'd get the S60R over the new TL. She responded, "DEFINITELY".

My Maxima's lease is coming due shortly and I had narrowed it down to the TL 6MT, Alti SE-R (??) or used 540i 6MT. But now, this S60R may be in the equation. (....what to do.... )

Peace.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
The 2004 S4 doesn't give the TL a run for it's money .. it just destroys the TL hands down ... no comparison.

Sure.....for an extra $20K+, it'll better. (You put $20K in MODS in the TL, it'll eat the S4 for lunch and then some).
Old 04-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PetesTL
Sure.....for an extra $20K+, it'll better. (You put $20K in MODS in the TL, it'll eat the S4 for lunch and then some).
If you can find $20K in mods.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLover
If you can find $20K in mods.

.......Theoretically speaking, of course. Point is, it's totally unfair to compare a S4 to a TL. The TL is a $35K car which strikes a perfect balance between performance, luxury, state-of-the-art features and value. The S4 is a top-performance car where cost is not a major consideration.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lindros2
Coming from an 1999 S4 and renting 2001-2003 Maximas quite frequently, the TL is by far the best of the three. The new (2004+) S4 and G35, will, however, give the TL a run for its money.

-josh
I think PeterUbers was refering to this.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:04 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Doubt it. You first have that incessant torque steer with the 270hp, what makes you think it will be able to put any extra horsepower to the ground effectively. Plus the TL platform is just inferior to the S4 platform with AWD. If you want to add AWD to the TL (custom system) and a V8, I bet it will cost more than $20k
Old 04-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Team Anthracite

when i came into the market for buying a car. i really admired the look of the Audi A4. but i couldnt just buy it without poking around at other cars in the class. so i wanted to drive the Audi A4, Acura TL/TSX, Saab 9-5, Infiniti G35, Lexus IS, Volvo S40... etc.

i drove the Audi first and liked it. but getting it with all the features i wanted would have been expensive. then i drove the TL. with the TL i got a lot more stuff for a similar price, and i liked the layout of the interior of the TL much better. the audi DID, however, have a more quality feeling interior in terms of materials.

i did more checking, and the Infiniti sedan (what i wanted) was rear wheel drive or all wheel drive. too expensive with the options i wanted again.

i saw a Saab in person and didnt like the look. the Volvo also gets expensive when you throw options in.

the TL just seems to be all in the right place for me.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EZZ
Doubt it. You first have that incessant torque steer with the 270hp, what makes you think it will be able to put any extra horsepower to the ground effectively. Plus the TL platform is just inferior to the S4 platform with AWD. If you want to add AWD to the TL (custom system) and a V8, I bet it will cost more than $20k
........again, all theoretical.......but seriously, back to the topic, we're looking at two completely different markets here. Somebody who's seriously shopping for a S4 (so assuming money is not a hinderance) is not going to settle for a TL......so why even bother to compare?
Old 04-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Safety Car

b/c some dude said "the S4 will give the TL a run for its money" ... so I had to comment on that post!!! It's over, let it go!!
Old 04-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Safety Car

Frankly, a used 1999 WRX 5-spd will give the 2004TL a run for its money .. but that too wouldn't be an apples to apples sort of comparison either
Old 04-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

The only other (new) car that comes closest to rivaling the TL right now in terms of performance, features AND value is the G35.........but let's not go there AGAIN!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:28 AM
3rd Gear

The only other (new) car that comes closest to rivaling the TL right now in terms of performance, features AND value is the G35.........but let's not go there AGAIN!
Thanks for all of your responses, guys. I do like the S60R, but it's a little out of my price range at this point...the 3.0 A4 would be stretching it (and i'd have to forego a few options)

I also considered the G35 coupe, but all the little things that I find wrong with my max makes me want to stay away from Nissan altogether. At this point, I am leaning towards the TL...I'm going to make a final decision within the next week or so, I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ScreaminVQ
Thanks for all of your responses, guys. I do like the S60R, but it's a little out of my price range at this point...the 3.0 A4 would be stretching it (and i'd have to forego a few options)

I also considered the G35 coupe, but all the little things that I find wrong with my max makes me want to stay away from Nissan altogether. At this point, I am leaning towards the TL...I'm going to make a final decision within the next week or so, I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again.

All the little things make you want to stay away from the g35 because of the Maxima. lol omg I am sorry that is funny. The TL has alot of little problems, ALOT and you want to deal witht hat? Alot of the G35 owners haven't even had a problem including me.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ScreaminVQ
Thanks for all of your responses, guys. I do like the S60R, but it's a little out of my price range at this point...
Thanks again.
Here in NJ, Bridgewater Volvo had an S60R (demo w/ 6k) going for $36k OR $1k more than a TL w/Navi. Good luck in your shopping; you have your work cutout for you seeing as there's so much to choose from.

Peace.

PS: Dont ruleout the Subaru Legacy Turbo, of which we could probably expect an STi variant:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=7028