3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Type S feedback owners post

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
It was in reference to the manual, and my driving goes further than that, loads of highway and little time in my commute. A car that is faster beyond a 1/4 mile is truly faster.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,159 Likes on 2,583 Posts
Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
No urban legend, multiple people have seen such numbers.

Heres automobile mags dyno http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...i_dynamometer/
What was interesting about that article is that the 330i's WHP ratings fall within range of it's 255HP crank HP rating. BUt the 335i's number are ~10% higher than it's spec'ed rating. Part of me is very slightly suspicious if it was a press-release car that may have been tweaked. But if folks start getting those numbers then it must be the case. Kinda the opposite of the Mazda RX-8 HP ratings.

But getting back to the thread, I'm really curious what the Type-S 6MT accleration numbers will be. I just checked with hondanews.com and the final drive and all the gear ratio's in the Type-S 6MT are the same as the 2004-6 TL 6MT and since tire size didn't change it will be a equal comparison (from a gearing point of view).
Old 10-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Just trying to answer questions and remarks, sir. I shall not endeavor to hijack the thread. Sorry for any misgivings.

Was not directed at you!!! hit the "quote" button in my haste
Old 10-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
wow.. i'd take the 335i ANYDAY over the TL...
Old 10-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AcuraTLboi
wow.. i'd take the 335i ANYDAY over the TL...
...And pay over 50k for a fully loaded 335? The TL-S is pretty much loaded.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I thought this was a TL-S feedback for owners forum. What's the deal w/ all the 335i talk??
Old 10-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talk all you want gents about how the TL-S is an upgrade, for sheer power and handling it is no where NEAR the new 335i, which is already being touted as better than the previous generation M3.

Do you think a TL, Type S or otherwise, can even get on a stool to TOUCH the hem of on the garment of an M3?

Me neither....
Old 10-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by drtoth
You guys got my TYpe S definition confused. i am talking about my Gen 2

and yes the TL has the best bang for buck no doubt, but I think the factor for me that lost it was FWD.

PS a 400 FWHP car can be taken by a 350 HP RWD car. Don't let HP fool you bud, Pushing > Pulling, by ALOT...

I am just saying my Gen 2 is pretty quick and I think this would have been a more mindless upgrade regardless of how nice the car was (it is really nice) just that the numbers don't stick out, 25 more tq and 30 more HP was more mindless for me to pay that kind of cash.
Don't know what your talking about. It is all about wieght. An integra that is 2500 pounds vs a bmw or any rwd that is 3000 plus pounds is going to lose. I pulled 11.4 because of no traction at the bottom. But after mid second gear it's gone. Now if the cars are identical wieght then yes rwd will win but its all about weight BUD!!! Good example 4th gear pull i would pull a modded m3 with ease. From a dead stop m3 would always get me til mid 2nd when I pass him like he was in reverse. I guess we could be at this all night but weight is the biggest factor. But to get back to the topic, even if the 335i is faster and yes it is. the 335i can't touch the tl for its value or reliabilty, just look at consumer reports.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:50 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by kobi2002
...But to get back to the topic, even if the 335i is faster and yes it is. the 335i can't touch the tl for its value or reliabilty, just look at consumer reports.
That my friend, is why I am going to purchase a 2006 5AT (better resale value than 6MT - ask a salesman) NBP TL w/Navi instead of an '07 Type-S -OR- a 335i! I will be paying end of the year prices, and have low mileage on it, sell it at the end of 2009, and make a serious deal on the new (real TOTALLY RE-DONE new, not refreshed) '09 Acura TL in 2010, after it goes on sale (interpret discount, as I am about to receive right now on the '06)!!! Acura is just milking the TL as it is right now with this "upgrade" to sell all of it's 06's, a counter-attack to the newer models of Infiniti and BMW hitting the showrooms about now. It will play with us with the Type-S for two years - and then BOOM! Drop that SH-AWD TL on 'em like it's hot!!!!!! And Imma-gonna-be-right-there-when-it-do-what-it-do-baby!!!!!

Until then, I am more than content with a cheaper, but very capable '06 TL Navi loaded with eye-candy and goodies for me to play with!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by darksom1
That my friend, is why I am going to purchase a 2006 5AT (better resale value than 6MT - ask a salesman) NBP TL w/Navi instead of an '07 Type-S -OR- a 335i! I will be paying end of the year prices, and have low mileage on it, sell it at the end of 2009, and make a serious deal on the new (real TOTALLY RE-DONE new, not refreshed) '09 Acura TL in 2010, after it goes on sale (interpret discount, as I am about to receive right now on the '06)!!! Acura is just milking the TL as it is right now with this "upgrade" to sell all of it's 06's, a counter-attack to the newer models of Infiniti and BMW hitting the showrooms about now. It will play with us with the Type-S for two years - and then BOOM! Drop that SH-AWD TL on 'em like it's hot!!!!!! And Imma-gonna-be-right-there-when-it-do-what-it-do-baby!!!!!

Until then, I am more than content with a cheaper, but very capable '06 TL Navi loaded with eye-candy and goodies for me to play with!!!
So true, but I thought I would have fun for 2 years before the 09 drops. either way the resale on a tl is good. i will be in good shape to get the 09.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:24 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't know what your talking about. It is all about wieght. An integra that is 2500 pounds vs a bmw or any rwd that is 3000 plus pounds is going to lose. I pulled 11.4 because of no traction at the bottom. But after mid second gear it's gone. Now if the cars are identical wieght then yes rwd will win but its all about weight BUD!!! Good example 4th gear pull i would pull a modded m3 with ease. From a dead stop m3 would always get me til mid 2nd when I pass him like he was in reverse. I guess we could be at this all night but weight is the biggest factor. But to get back to the topic, even if the 335i is faster and yes it is. the 335i can't touch the tl for its value or reliabilty, just look at consumer reports.
You won't pull on an SMG m3 I don't care how well your INTEGRA shifts.

if you give an M3 equivalent HP you can't beat an SMG. You know why? Because it can shift quicker and more efficiently than you ever can, that's why it's an M. That's also why it has the best displacement to HP ratio.

Infact I will givey ou 500 dollars if you can find an equivalent or 10hp difference M3 against your integra and beat him if he has SMG in S6, you can't. Sorry man.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:25 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

Oh and you don't buy a german for reliability, I'm sorry to say. I'm not buying the 335i for reliability,

me waiting 6 month gets me a much quicker/prestigious car that will be tuner-friendly.

I had my bill of sale on my TL-S too, look at the other post where it's there and linked.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:54 AM
Advanced

I just made the switch from a 2006 BMW 330i Sedan to a 2007 Acura TL Type S tonight. While the 330i was an amazing little pocket of a car (tight handling/road feel), the TL-S is ultimately more comfortable and has amazing features for the price point. I'm glad with my switch
Old 10-26-2006, 01:16 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
for a 10g difference, TL FTW.... you guys are right, i forgot bout the price of the new 335i's.... and drtoth, i agree. German cars+reliabilitty don't work well ... let's hope the 09 will be good stuff...
Old 10-26-2006, 01:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pbm317
I just made the switch from a 2006 BMW 330i Sedan to a 2007 Acura TL Type S tonight. While the 330i was an amazing little pocket of a car (tight handling/road feel), the TL-S is ultimately more comfortable and has amazing features for the price point. I'm glad with my switch

how about some nice pix??
Old 10-26-2006, 06:21 AM
Racer

You won't pull on an SMG m3 I don't care how well your INTEGRA shifts.

if you give an M3 equivalent HP you can't beat an SMG. You know why? Because it can shift quicker and more efficiently than you ever can, that's why it's an M. That's also why it has the best displacement to HP ratio.

Infact I will givey ou 500 dollars if you can find an equivalent or 10hp difference M3 against your integra and beat him if he has SMG in S6, you can't. Sorry man.
At age 19 you have no idea what your talking about. wieght is the biggest thing. a car that wieghs lets say 4000 pounds at 350 is not going to beat a car that wieghts 1800 pounds and 250, and that is wheel horse power. its called horsepower to wieght ratio. You can shift all day with your smg bmw. A honda 600 bike with what 140 or around that ballpark will blow the door of most ever raod car in the drag strip, why horsepower to wieght ratio.!!! I've been racing alot of diff cars since i was 19 which would have made you ummm 8?? keep racing man. All I am saying is most people want comfort not speed. if I wanted that i would go with an evo 9. Smg has no chance with a modded evo pulling 580whp. Try 10 sec in the drag strip in stock form on awd
Old 10-26-2006, 07:01 AM
Racer

The Intention of this thread was to get owners feedback on the 07 TL Type S , not a freaking macho whose car is faster thread....this BMW 335 comparison is bullshit , why not throw a Porsche in there and a Ferrari while we are at it.

I would like this thread to get back on track .

if you want to talk about the 335 start your own thread in the cartalk section,

Mods if we dont get this back on point can you lock it and I will start over
Old 10-26-2006, 07:19 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by simont53
The Intention of this thread was to get owners feedback on the 07 TL Type S , not a freaking macho whose car is faster thread....this BMW 335 comparison is bullshit , why not throw a Porsche in there and a Ferrari while we are at it.

I would like this thread to get back on track .

if you want to talk about the 335 start your own thread in the cartalk section,

Mods if we dont get this back on point can you lock it and I will start over

While I agree that the thread has really gotten off track (since I was looking for more info on the Type S), the comparison with the 335 is fair -- that's a competing product in the same class. Obviously a Porsche or Ferrari is not.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by homer4598
While I agree that the thread has really gotten off track (since I was looking for more info on the Type S), the comparison with the 335 is fair -- that's a competing product in the same class. Obviously a Porsche or Ferrari is not.

Competeing product?

its a $50k twin turbo coupe spec for spec, the Type S is a < $40k sedan
Old 10-26-2006, 07:57 AM
The Boss

I agree. SouthernBoy and Legend2TL have great inputs in both cars on both BMW 335i and Type S vehicles. I respect and value their opinions very much and find some of their counter arguments a great read. However, being this is a thread that you generated about Type S, I guess we'll get back on topic. But you should know 335i and your Type S comparison isn't exactly off topic, it brings good insight on 2 very close compared vehicles.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:33 AM
DER NEUE ^

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Off Topic

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
I agree. SouthernBoy and Legend2TL have great inputs in both cars on both BMW 335i and Type S vehicles. I respect and value their opinions very much and find some of their counter arguments a great read. However, being this is a thread that you generated about Type S, I guess we'll get back on topic. But you should know 335i and your Type S comparison isn't exactly off topic, it brings good insight on 2 very close compared vehicles.

Yes all these arguments about other cars performance compared to TL is way off topic and are pointless for this thread, THIS THREAD IS FOR 2007 TL/Type S OWNERS FEEDBACK on their new TLs. Can't you read , let's not make another nice thread a fucking comparison-macho- 07 TL critique thread especially if you don't belong here since you don't have an 07 . Enjoy the read, the actual new owner's feedback without getting all jealous or talking nonsense, please or else take your shit elsewhere!

I'm not only talking about you but about all others talking off topic and supporting such, so don't take it personally! Remember this thread could get closed like other messed up by off-topic people threads!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:25 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
Hey, thanks for the complement .
Always enjoy a good discussion on cars or motorcycles.
BTW, very cute avatar (I presume that's your wife)!

Maybe I'll change my avatar from my motorcycle to my wife (she's better looking than my Honda anyday)
Old 10-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ACTROS
Yes all these arguments about other cars performance compared to TL is way off topic and are pointless for this thread, THIS THREAD IS FOR 2007 TL/Type S OWNERS FEEDBACK on their new TLs. Can't you read , let's not make another nice thread a fucking comparison-macho- 07 TL critique thread especially if you don't belong here since you don't have an 07 . Enjoy the read, the actual new owner's feedback without getting all jealous or talking nonsense, please or else take your shit elsewhere!

I'm not only talking about you but about all others talking off topic and supporting such, so don't take it personally! Remember this thread could get closed like other messed up by off-topic people threads!!!

Finally ...thankyou
Old 10-26-2006, 02:16 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

At age 19 you have no idea what your talking about. wieght is the biggest thing. a car that wieghs lets say 4000 pounds at 350 is not going to beat a car that wieghts 1800 pounds and 250, and that is wheel horse power. its called horsepower to wieght ratio. You can shift all day with your smg bmw. A honda 600 bike with what 140 or around that ballpark will blow the door of most ever raod car in the drag strip, why horsepower to wieght ratio.!!! I've been racing alot of diff cars since i was 19 which would have made you ummm 8?? keep racing man. All I am saying is most people want comfort not speed. if I wanted that i would go with an evo 9. Smg has no chance with a modded evo pulling 580whp. Try 10 sec in the drag strip in stock form on awd
Are you trying to say that because you've been driving manual your whole life you can shift better than an SMG? Dude you can't man. You can't have 80 MS perfectly crisp shifts, not only is humanly impossible, it is a proven fact that the SMG is the true road king.
You keep going back to weight, but weight is one of the many things. You speak of yourself like you're DK Drag king who can outshift anyone on the planet, and the fact is you may be able to outdrive any standard driver on the road, except you can't outrace an F1 SMG Transmission. It has computerized judgements to make perfect shifts that even human error cannot pickup. People who are 3 pedal drivers like yourself that had an M3 flamed the smg when it came out, they drove it for a week and they were sold on it, why? Because there's no loss of power to the wheels, it shifts better than a manual, and it can outwhip any driver

I'm telling you once, and I'll tell you again, you find me an e46 M3 with around the SAME HP as any car you want, any AWD or FWD'er you think has a chance, and pit it against an M3. It will LOSE, not only because it's a PUSHING/PULLING or PULLING mechanism to the wheels, but also because they cannot, and I will stress this, CANNOT shift as well as an F1 transmission... Do you understand this now or are you going to keep telling me that you can shift better than a machine tranny that costs more than 2k to put in the car?

I didn't say bikes, bikes are completely different. I didn't involve bikes. I involved something that you said, a 400whp FWD drive car being able to "whip" RWD cars because of your integra's weight, when I'm trying to tell you when you race 2 cars such as a 400 whp INtegra against a 360-370 RWHP M3 SMG, it will lose, you give weight too much credit.

Look at teh NSX for example, it weighs less than 3000 LB'S. It's a bloody feather, it's got a 290 HP V6 6 speed, and the best it can do is 4.9 in 0-100 and 13.9 in quarter mile, those statistics are equivalent to an M3 and the NSX is an all aluminum frame that makes it 1500 lbs lighter than an M3 and on top of that, only 30 less HP! So having equivalent stats being that much lighter is only one of many comparisons.

Don't get me wrong I'm trying to tell you weight does matter, but when you're talking upper echelon cars lik an M3 and NSX, how can they both pull same numbers when one is significantly lighter an only 43 HP deficient? 43 HP is nothing, not when you're 1500 lbs lighter
Old 10-26-2006, 02:46 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by simont53
Competeing product?

its a $50k twin turbo coupe spec for spec, the Type S is a < $40k sedan

Okay, compare the sedan. it's higher priced, but the same class. That's probably why they get lumped together in the comparisons.

Of course, after talking to my friend, isn't the TL more like the 5-series -- at least as far as size and interior room?
Old 10-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Intermediate

Okay, compare the sedan. it's higher priced, but the same class. That's probably why they get lumped together in the comparisons.

Of course, after talking to my friend, isn't the TL more like the 5-series -- at least as far as size and interior room?
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but from what I've seen of TLs on the road, the TL interior is narrower and has less rear legroom than the prior generation (E39) Five Series. The new Five (E60, with Dame Edna glasses for headlights + Bangle Butt) has more space in all directions, but noticeable in rear legroom.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:08 PM
AZ Community Team

Are you trying to say that because you've been driving manual your whole life you can shift better than an SMG? Dude you can't man. You can't have 80 MS perfectly crisp shifts, not only is humanly impossible, it is a proven fact that the SMG is the true road king.
You keep going back to weight, but weight is one of the many things. You speak of yourself like you're DK Drag king who can outshift anyone on the planet, and the fact is you may be able to outdrive any standard driver on the road, except you can't outrace an F1 SMG Transmission. It has computerized judgements to make perfect shifts that even human error cannot pickup. People who are 3 pedal drivers like yourself that had an M3 flamed the smg when it came out, they drove it for a week and they were sold on it, why? Because there's no loss of power to the wheels, it shifts better than a manual, and it can outwhip any driver

I'm telling you once, and I'll tell you again, you find me an e46 M3 with around the SAME HP as any car you want, any AWD or FWD'er you think has a chance, and pit it against an M3. It will LOSE, not only because it's a PUSHING/PULLING or PULLING mechanism to the wheels, but also because they cannot, and I will stress this, CANNOT shift as well as an F1 transmission... Do you understand this now or are you going to keep telling me that you can shift better than a machine tranny that costs more than 2k to put in the car?

I didn't say bikes, bikes are completely different. I didn't involve bikes. I involved something that you said, a 400whp FWD drive car being able to "whip" RWD cars because of your integra's weight, when I'm trying to tell you when you race 2 cars such as a 400 whp INtegra against a 360-370 RWHP M3 SMG, it will lose, you give weight too much credit.

Look at teh NSX for example, it weighs less than 3000 LB'S. It's a bloody feather, it's got a 290 HP V6 6 speed, and the best it can do is 4.9 in 0-100 and 13.9 in quarter mile, those statistics are equivalent to an M3 and the NSX is an all aluminum frame that makes it 1500 lbs lighter than an M3 and on top of that, only 30 less HP! So having equivalent stats being that much lighter is only one of many comparisons.

Don't get me wrong I'm trying to tell you weight does matter, but when you're talking upper echelon cars lik an M3 and NSX, how can they both pull same numbers when one is significantly lighter an only 43 HP deficient? 43 HP is nothing, not when you're 1500 lbs lighter
OK boys and girls, we should we get back on topic but in terms of your response a few brief notes and comments

1) A NSX is not 1500lb less than a M3, ~500lb is more like it (~3500 = M3, ~3000 = NSX).
2) A NSX does 0-60 in 4.9, not 0-100
3) No matter what your driving it all comes down to physics so yes, weight, power, friction, and torque all matter.
4) If the SMG was so great, then why is BMW bringing back a pure manual gearbox option for the M5 in 2007?
5) I have never driven a SMG but a friend of a friend is a BMW tech (almost 30 years experience). He has driven them in the M3, 645, and M5. Personal taste but he prefers a pure manual, he finds the SMG shifting experience jerky and clunky compared to a good BMW automatic or a experienced user in a manual gearbox. He thinks it's nifty technology but in practice he finds them annoying to drive in any of the modes. He does however love the late gen M3, but with a 6MT. His daily driver is a 1988 735i with a 5MT. He is not alone many of the car magazine editors have similar comments in their reviews of SMG vehicles.

And now back to the wait for the anticipated 2007 TL Type-S track test results.....
Old 10-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Instructor

drtoth:

Homie, if you're gonna start talking about comparing HP of NSX's and the e46M3, then you're going to need to take a look at Torque curves, etc..

don't get it twisted. It is, at the very essence, more about weight than anything else. Ever take physics in school or, are you about to learn that in your next class?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

It's Been Said, What Three Times?
Where Are The Mods On This Bullshit?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:32 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1

good for you...too bad its going to be a 5 yr plan...i bet in 2010 you'll like a different car and go through this same process haha.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
cancelled my order. buying a house instead but will wait in 09 to look at the new supra or new acura platform.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Racer

I'm finished. this did get out of hand. i was just stating that If horsepower was a factor, the bmw would not be the first on my list. I really don't understand why people always want to compare the bmw and the tl. For one the price diffrence gets the bmw. And yes I might be faster but I and the other 2 on this board got the tl-s because it is an all around car. I feel that the car was worht the extra 2000 dispite what many may feel. The navi is a good upgrade, faster, and some neat toys that came with it.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:40 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ussi
good for you...too bad its going to be a 5 yr plan...i bet in 2010 you'll like a different car and go through this same process haha.
Na-uuhhhh!! The '06 will be a 3-yr. lease my friend! I think I mis-led on that before. That way, count it, I will be right on schedule for the 09 deal in 2010!! I may lease the 07 if the payments are cool enough (I like the whole rear cam thing-thing!!)
Old 10-27-2006, 04:36 AM
Pro

I picked mine up on teusday. I tinted the windows so far, ordered the all weather mats (I am in the army so they will be needed), ordered the carbon fiberfront and rear console trim (should be here tomorrrow) and just got my 19" inspyre's put on yesterday. I will post pics with rims later after I get it cleaned up.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLFourplay
I picked mine up on teusday. I tinted the windows so far, ordered the all weather mats (I am in the army so they will be needed), ordered the carbon fiberfront and rear console trim (should be here tomorrrow) and just got my 19" inspyre's put on yesterday. I will post pics with rims later after I get it cleaned up.

Very Nice...but then I am biased! post your feedback after a few days, enjoy I sure am enjoying mine!!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Pro

Well its definitely insanely fast. I am coming from a 2000 honda accord sedan v-6 (200hp). I dropped it down to 3rd from 80 last night and roasted an A4, it was great. The thing moves. I got the mid muffler cut out and the exhaust sounds better than I could have imagined. It is amazing, I have had about 4 people tell me it sounds like a ferrari.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Advanced

Quick question....does it have Acura on the windows? Or is it still Honda...
Old 10-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Really is a strikingly good looking machine. Congrats!
Old 10-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Racer

not sure if this has been covered but is there a way to turn off the DRL's?
Old 10-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by U8INIT
Quick question....does it have Acura on the windows? Or is it still Honda...
:whocares:?

Quick Reply: 07 Type S feedback owners post