3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 G35 vs 07 TL

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 01:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,581 Posts
You're right, I'm one of the guilty ones.
I'll have to stop by the Infiniti dealer in the future to look at a 2G G35.

Originally Posted by Will Y.
What's this discussion about Probes, etc. doing in this thread??

No wonder this thread is still going well beyond anticipated life expectancy...

Oh, and after taking a look at the 07' TL-S in a dealership: The interior and performance mods are all good, as the steering wheel looked ugly in photos but nice in actual car. None of the exterior appearance changes is favorable, though.
I haven't looked at the '07 G35 yet.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:31 PM
AZ Community Team

Reread Wikipedia, the turbo had alot more torque over the V6 and had better acceleration, so that was true.

Now back to the topic at hand....

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
My brother had a 1989 Ford Probe GT (Turbo) and it was a better handling and more powerful car over the 92+ Ford Probe GT's. It had adjustable shocks, and a powerful (lots of torque steer) turbocharged engine. Better looking too.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
What's this discussion about Probes, etc. doing in this thread??

No wonder this thread is still going well beyond anticipated life expectancy...

Oh, and after taking a look at the 07' TL-S in a dealership: The interior and performance mods are all good, as the steering wheel looked ugly in photos but nice in actual car. None of the exterior appearance changes is favorable, though.
I haven't looked at the '07 G35 yet.
Guilty. Sorry gents.

Now as for the new '07 TL-S, there are a few things I am not wild about and one or two things I really don't like.

I don't like the turn signal indicators on the front of the outside mirrors. I think it looks tacky and besides.. they're not necessary.

I don't like DRLs (as in really don't like them).

Not crazy about the red instrument lighting, but I've only seen pictures so I'll leave that one open.

I don't like the taillights. Reminds me too much of ricers with clear lenses and the 2002+ Altima. But I'll leave this one open, too.

I don't like the mini-spoiler.. I don't like any spoilers or wings, really.

I do like the new wheels and the tailpipes.

I could live with the new steering wheel.. I have no problems with the one on my '04.

The interiors look nice.

The Nav has really been upgraded it appears.

I LOVE the fact that there is a larger engine with more horsepower AND more torque.

The alterations to the clutch takeup and feel can only be an improvement, though I'm so used to mine it's not a problem for me.

Anyways, I'm going to drop by the local dealer Sunday morning to checkout the TL-S again. Gotta see it up close another time.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
Sorry, but you need to read my post- again. SOME people prefer FWD in certain areas of the country.
Sorry, but I read it just fine.
What you stated has little to do with performance.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Guys lets stay on topic. I will not shed one tear closing this thread...
Old 11-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

So what. The TSX is in the "compact" category. Your comparing two different classes of vehicle to clown Acura.
You fail to see my point.

Does the TSX have memory seats? Yes.
Does it have power mirrors? Yes.
So why not combine the two?

As per TTLIANG's post, were the Acura engineers not able to put 1 + 1 together as well when they decided on adding this feature to the TSX?
I'm responding to his post where he criticizes Infiniti engineering.
No doubt this is probably not an engineering blunder, but more likely a cost cutting measure.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by psteng19
You fail to see my point.

Does the TSX have memory seats? Yes.
Does it have power mirrors? Yes.
So why not combine the two?

As per TTLIANG's post, were the Acura engineers not able to put 1 + 1 together as well when they decided on adding this feature to the TSX?
I'm responding to his post where he criticizes Infiniti engineering.
No doubt this is probably not an engineering blunder, but more likely a cost cutting measure.
Look, the G & TL both have similarities and differences. For example- one touch start in the G- not found in the TL. RWD vs. FWD, AWD option vs no option, etc.....but comparing the engineering or cost cutting measures in the TSX to the TL or G for that matter is why the TSX is cheaper and in a different class. Do you want to throw the Civic and Accord in the mix too to "make your point?"
Do you think the G has all the options that are found in the Q45? No, it doesn't- because it's in a different class.
As far as "performance" is concerned- it's all relative.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Look, the G & TL both have similarities and differences. For example- one touch start in the G- not found in the TL. RWD vs. FWD, AWD option vs no option, etc.....but comparing the engineering or cost cutting measures in the TSX to the TL or G for that matter is why the TSX is cheaper and in a different class. Do you want to throw the Civic and Accord in the mix too to "make your point?"
Do you think the G has all the options that are found in the Q45? No, it doesn't- because it's in a different class.
I know this is a stupid, but that doesn't explain why the TSX had signal mirrors and MP3 player, but the TL didn't. One would think it should've been the other way around....
Old 11-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

I'll hypothesize that Acura wanted to wait till 07 for the MMC to add those on?
Old 11-12-2006, 10:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sigh... once again you totally miss my point.

TTLIANG, is the one criticizing the G's "engineering" for the lack of including mirror adjustments on the memory seats.
I am arguing that it's not an engineering issue because if it were, then Acura's engineers aren't much brighter if they neglected to include that feature of the TSX, which ALREADY HAS memory seating and power mirrors but ALSO LACKS the integration of both.

Sure, if the Civic and Accord have memory seating and power mirrors but the memory feature doesn't adjust the mirrors, I will sure as heck complain about that too.

The reading comprehension, it boggles the mind

And for your last point, it's not relative. What you stated has little to no relationship to performance at all. Your statement is describing a safety feature, NOT performance.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
The 2G 2.5L V6 had more power (164HP) over the Turbo (145HP). A friend's wife had a 1G Probe, it was nice but not in the same class as the 2nd generation Probes handling wise. However a colleague had alot of problems with the cylinder heads on his 2G V6 Probe, both were replaced under a recall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Probe
It was rated with more power, but it was much SLOWER. The NA V6 didn't have the same power curve the turbo motor had. The Probe GT 89-92 was the better car to have back then. It out handled its replacement in tests still. People hated the new V6 replacement.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

Reread Wikipedia, the turbo had alot more torque over the V6 and had better acceleration, so that was true.

Now back to the topic at hand....
Old 11-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by trancemission
Guys lets stay on topic. I will not shed one tear closing this thread...
Ok boss. Just saw this.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:43 PM
tTLiang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
Then with our new TL.... Why can't I just hit the cancel button to cancel a route? Why do I have to go back through the menu to do that?
Not gonna comment on old 2G TL. let by-gone be by-gone.

For the "cancel" thing, so you don't accidentally hit the cancel too many times and cancel your current route while your driving. they actually thought about this. you can drill down to deeper functions in navi and use "cancel" to come out w/o canceling the current route. I like that a lot.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
It was rated with more power, but it was much SLOWER. The NA V6 didn't have the same power curve the turbo motor had. The Probe GT 89-92 was the better car to have back then. It out handled its replacement in tests still. People hated the new V6 replacement.
The 2G Probe was superior to the 1G in the handling department. I drove a friend's 1G non-turbo and it was not as good as the 2G when I testdrove it handling wise. The stock GT 7x16" rims with 225/50-16 tires, and a wider track, and Ford tweaked the suspension making it very nimble and almost neutral.

Now back on topic I must drove by the local Infinity dealer to look at the 2G G35.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Safety Car

The 2G Probe was superior to the 1G in the handling department. I drove a friend's 1G non-turbo and it was not as good as the 2G when I testdrove it handling wise. The stock GT 7x16" rims with 225/50-16 tires, and a wider track, and Ford tweaked the suspension making it very nimble and almost neutral.

Now back on topic I must drove by the local Infinity dealer to look at the 2G G35.
Your comparing a non-turbo 1G to a GT 2nd gen. LOL.

GT 1st Gen had adjustable suspension and many other things. That;s like comparing a Honda Accord to a Acura TL.

See your PM so we keep this topic on par.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:34 PM
07 NBP TL Type-S

Lets try and get this back on topic,
Could someone who has actually driven both the Type S and the new G35 please elaborated on the performance differences? Most of the times I find online in the 60 and 1/4 mile are equal for these two cars, and I would really like to hear some unbiased opinions of the speed of these two cars. To keep it simple, Im just talking about straight line speed, but feel free to talk about the handling as well.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bullpup
Could someone who has actually driven both the Type S and the new G35 please elaborated on the performance differences? Most of the times I find online in the 60 and 1/4 mile are equal for these two cars, and I would really like to hear some unbiased opinions of the speed of these two cars. To keep it simple, Im just talking about straight line speed, but feel free to talk about the handling as well.

I have driven both...and I purchased a type S...performance?....the G feels like it gets the TL in a straight line and I would have to say that it felt great on the test drive, (the Tl is very fast though)...I bought the TL as I felt the quality of the interior especially the Nav and door panels was far superior and I had mixed feelings about the exterior redesign

I will give up a tenth or two for the fit and finish, otherwise I would buy an Evo!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bullpup

I have a 2004 auto ABP TL, and I test drove the '07 G35S auto. Here is my analysis:

Engine and Drivetrain:
The Engine feels way more powerful than my TL's. In fact, I was so used to the extent of acceleration in the TL that using the same pedal feel, I peeled out of the dealer lot (the salesperson let my friend and I take the car out for 10 min. without her being in the car). Low-end is a LOT more than the TL, but it also has a lot of high-end power, surprisingly. Basically, it's like having VTEC over all the power range. The engine has a much nicer sound than the TL's, especially the exhaust note. It is not loud though (only when you accelerate--not that droning noise that stays in the G coupe and the FX series). The TL's engine is easier to drive smoothly though (less jumpy), but maybe that was just because I was not used to the power or throttle response.

Handling:
The G35S handles superbly. I guess it's RWD, but when turning corners, there is no tugging at the wheel like my TL. When accelerating, it is more composed than the TL. The turning radius is also better than the TL's, as I had to make a u-turn.

Interior:
Surprisingly, the interior quality is on par with the TL in my opinion. The door panels are not as nice as the TL's, but the steering wheel and dash is great. The leather felt the same as the TL. Space is tighter than the TL though in the rear (rear headroom lacks and the middle rear seat is uninhabitable). The trunk space is bigger in numbers, but the opening is more narrow than the TL's (especially if you get the navi because it moves the cd changer to the trunk).

Exterior:
There are no turn signal indicators on the side even though the new Altima has them. The chrome spoiler-like lip on the trunk is hideous. The side view hints strongly at the IS. The TL's look may be a bit more aggresive I think.

Overall, it's the engine and RWD that set the G apart from the TL. The amount of power is shocking. It makes my TL seem slow. And now with a nicer interior and exterior, perhaps the G is the better choice versus the '07 TL.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rsxbond
I have a 2004 auto ABP TL, and I test drove the '07 G35S auto. Here is my analysis:

Engine and Drivetrain:
The Engine feels way more powerful than my TL's. In fact, I was so used to the extent of acceleration in the TL that using the same pedal feel, I peeled out of the dealer lot (the salesperson let my friend and I take the car out for 10 min. without her being in the car). Low-end is a LOT more than the TL, but it also has a lot of high-end power, surprisingly. Basically, it's like having VTEC over all the power range. The engine has a much nicer sound than the TL's, especially the exhaust note. It is not loud though (only when you accelerate--not that droning noise that stays in the G coupe and the FX series). The TL's engine is easier to drive smoothly though (less jumpy), but maybe that was just because I was not used to the power or throttle response.

Handling:
The G35S handles superbly. I guess it's RWD, but when turning corners, there is no tugging at the wheel like my TL. When accelerating, it is more composed than the TL. The turning radius is also better than the TL's, as I had to make a u-turn.

Interior:
Surprisingly, the interior quality is on par with the TL in my opinion. The door panels are not as nice as the TL's, but the steering wheel and dash is great. The leather felt the same as the TL. Space is tighter than the TL though in the rear (rear headroom lacks and the middle rear seat is uninhabitable). The trunk space is bigger in numbers, but the opening is more narrow than the TL's (especially if you get the navi because it moves the cd changer to the trunk).

Exterior:
There are no turn signal indicators on the side even though the new Altima has them. The chrome spoiler-like lip on the trunk is hideous. The side view hints strongly at the IS. The TL's look may be a bit more aggresive I think.

Overall, it's the engine and RWD that set the G apart from the TL. The amount of power is shocking. It makes my TL seem slow. And now with a nicer interior and exterior, perhaps the G is the better choice versus the '07 TL.
I would agree on most comments when comparing to a 04/05 tl ,the type S dose compete more on performance though, although the G still gets it in a 0-60 stand off purely because of RWD v FWD, I did prefer the G steering wheel although the phone buttons etc were way too small (note the larger 07 buttons on th TL)

When you look closely at the vents and the nav it to me does not come up to the standard of the TL. the Nav is way off ,smaller screen and graphic definition.

To me the two cars are a subjective trade off with the Tl getting the looks/quality and the G getting the performance....both are great vehicles ....choose your weapon.!!!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by psteng19
Sigh... once again you totally miss my point.

TTLIANG, is the one criticizing the G's "engineering" for the lack of including mirror adjustments on the memory seats.
I am arguing that it's not an engineering issue because if it were, then Acura's engineers aren't much brighter if they neglected to include that feature of the TSX, which ALREADY HAS memory seating and power mirrors but ALSO LACKS the integration of both.

Sure, if the Civic and Accord have memory seating and power mirrors but the memory feature doesn't adjust the mirrors, I will sure as heck complain about that too.

The reading comprehension, it boggles the mind

And for your last point, it's not relative. What you stated has little to no relationship to performance at all. Your statement is describing a safety feature, NOT performance.
1. I realize that the other post criticized the G's "engineering" in not pairing the mirror adjustments the memory seats.

2. You commented on the same "lack of engineering" found on the TSX.

3. I responded to you that the TSX is in a different category- different models will carry different standard features. Basically, your comparing apples to oranges to support your argument.

4. Common sense boggles my mind.....

5. If I wanted a true performance vehicle, I would not be driving either one of these vehicles. Rather, my money would be going towards a 335i.

6. I have no desire to see your point because it is an irrelevant comparision i.e. TSX "engineering" vs. a TL or a G.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

Hasnt this topic been open long enough?
Old 11-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

yup- that will be my last post no matter what that dude says......
Old 11-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Advanced

This thread is probably already dead, but I'll just throw out some food for thought for anyone who bothers to take a peek back here. Coming from a guy who was all about horsepower before getting a "sensible" car, I have to say that you really only need so much [power], and when you have it, you'd be amazed how NOT very often you'll find yourself using it.
305 hp on the new G? What for? Was the gas mileage still too high before? I'm pretty disappointed with my TL's city mpg, and that's with an engine .3 Ls smaller and 45 hps "weaker." How often do you think you'll be stomping the gas pedal over the years you own a car? I assure you, it'll only take one bad speeding ticket before you're driving that G like a Prius. If speed/performance carries that much weight in your search criterion, you're looking at the wrong cars.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:12 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by goswald80
This thread is probably already dead, but I'll just throw out some food for thought for anyone who bothers to take a peek back here. Coming from a guy who was all about horsepower before getting a "sensible" car, I have to say that you really only need so much [power], and when you have it, you'd be amazed how NOT very often you'll find yourself using it.
305 hp on the new G? What for? Was the gas mileage still too high before? I'm pretty disappointed with my TL's city mpg, and that's with an engine .3 Ls smaller and 45 hps "weaker." How often do you think you'll be stomping the gas pedal over the years you own a car? I assure you, it'll only take one bad speeding ticket before you're driving that G like a Prius. If speed/performance carries that much weight in your search criterion, you're looking at the wrong cars.

Different outlooks I guess. I take our TL and G35 up to redline pretty often. Maybe every other day, if not everyday. No I'm not racing anybody, just normal driving. Especially when passing on two lane roads, or merging on the freeway. Especially if you have suicide ramps... If you've ever seen the freeway onramps onto the 10 freeway in Alhambra or the 110 in pasadena you'll know what I'm talking about.

As for fuel economy... I had a 68 Chevelle-SS that got 9 miles a gallon on the freeway, so the TL and G35's fuel economy are phenomical comared to that. Both my wife and I appreciate the same types of cars. We like something sporty with some luxury. That's why that's why we have a TL and G35 Coupe. ~20mpg is plenty of fuel economy for us. We both drive about 80 miles round-trip for work, yet you won't hear us complain, and we both have lead foots, and our share of tickets. And yes, we have both gotten nailed with $590 speeding tickets before, but you won't hear any regrets/complaints from us.

We got these cars, because we drive so far to work, and we spend a lot of time in our cars so we want to have fun going to-from work. If I didn't want to have fun, and just get a car to drive to work, I would've gotten a camry.

I have a friend that got a TL, and all he does is complain about fuel economy, and how his 4 banger accord he traded got better fuel economy... I have another friend that got so fed up with the fuel economy, he actually traded down to a 4 banger Accord coupe from an Evo. And now he complains that the Accord doesn't have enough power.... People like that tick me off. I have another friend that complains about stuff like that too. He even unplugs his refrigerator when he's not home on the weekends to save money. He also tells me how awesome he is for saving $2.00 a month by getting new software to have his PVR go into standbye and only power up when it's time to record something.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:03 AM
darealest1

Originally Posted by wilsonzhang2006
I have my heart set on a TL until I saw the pricing on the 07 G35. I don't know about the rest of you, but to me, it's a no-brainer.

07 G35 Journey with Premium package is listed for about $34250, which is $600 less than 06 G35.

07 TL S is around $38500. 07 TL(258 hp) doesn't even compare to 07 G35(306 hp).

The interior of 07 G35 is so much nicer than TL S. Guys, please tell me what I am missing here.

For $4000 less, you get more HP and Japanese-built quality. G is fully assembled in Japan, while TL is in Ohio. I think the exchange rate is the reason they can sell it less than last year. 07G and 07TL-s have very similar standard features.

What gives? What am I missing?
the tl at that price is the tl-s, which is 286 hp, and the interior is very nice, with the type s badging on the seats and all. and that price is what it starts at, not with all the features of the premium package. look at the asterisk where it says starting at on the infiniti website. plus, honda/acura is rated ahead of nissan/infiniti in terms of quality and problems per 1000 units, regardless of where its built.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by simont53
I have driven both...and I purchased a type S...performance?....the G feels like it gets the TL in a straight line and I would have to say that it felt great on the test drive, (the Tl is very fast though)...I bought the TL as I felt the quality of the interior especially the Nav and door panels was far superior and I had mixed feelings about the exterior redesign

I will give up a tenth or two for the fit and finish, otherwise I would buy an Evo!!!
That is why I gave up an evo last year for an 05 tl. i also have an integra with over 400 whp I don't drive anymore. the tl-s is agreat car and don't regret buying it at all.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing I can say is that we just have to wait an see what the mass wants to buy. not everyone cares about rwd or 306hp. Most of the people that drive the tl or G are mid age and could care less about hp and want more about whats practical. The Tl outsold the G not because it out performed the G , but because epeople saw the value and a car that was very nice insde out. The performance heads in this country are not alot, thats why when automakers do make a sporty car, they do not make alot. The evo, integra type r, s2000, sti, corvette, ect. Just wait and see what the masses want to buy.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Advanced

I couldn't agree with you more avs007, I got my TL for the same reasons: comfort with enough power to still have some fun and move when I want to. However, my car rarely hits 5k on the tach, let alone redline... and I'm not a granny, I just find these cars don't need WOT to get to 70-80 mph in a hurry. I won't budge on the MPG issue though, I saw a "20" on the window and I expected no less than 20 to show up on the trip comp. I've seen as low as 15-17 if I've had a lot of bumper to bumper; that's absolutely pathetic and makes the advertised MPG borderline misleading IMHO.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by goswald80
I won't budge on the MPG issue though, I saw a "20" on the window and I expected no less than 20 to show up on the trip comp. I've seen as low as 15-17 if I've had a lot of bumper to bumper; that's absolutely pathetic and makes the advertised MPG borderline misleading IMHO.
lol... Even with all my runs to redline, the trip in my G and my TL are between 21 and 24. Perhaps my 80 mile roundtrip to work has something to do with it

The real-time fuel usage meter on the G35 can be scary. Even tho when I reset it while stuck in traffic, it usually settles around 20.3. But when I'm driving pretty spiritedly, I've seen the real-time meter drop to about 7 mpg But I've never gotten worse than 21-24mpg with our G and TL, despite our driving habits. I think my wife has more of a lead foot than I do, because sometimes even I get scared when I'm riding shotgun in her car. But she still gets better fuel economy than me.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Yeah that commute would help, I live less than 5 minutes from my office... couple that with the abysmal traffic in N. Va. and the anal law enforcement and you can understand why my mileage is where it is and why I don't get to redline much. Believe me, if I was having fun while getting those piss poor numbers I wouldn't be complaining
Old 02-27-2007, 04:52 AM
Cruisin'

Smile

I have bought a 06 TL in beginning of November just based on its design compare to G35. Because I love charsima cars that look sharp, graceful, and sporty, TL was the only choice which could satisfy all those three options.
There was another choice which was 5er from BMW that satisfied those options, but it seemed worthless because of its way overpriced MSRP.

I test drove 07 G35 too, but there still was the design problem. It felt like a lady with elegant dress so much when I saw the ivory pearl G35. It seemed like a lady's car, not a man's car. For my WDP 06 TL, with the A-spec body kit, it looks even more handsome.

Since I mostly drive in urban area, I rarely rev upto 4rpm in town because there is no chance to step on the gas even though I want to. (STUPID TRAFFIC) So the performance is really useless unless I go to a track. I am living in Vancouver and the road and highway of this city really is like a jail. Cops everywhere and they are so fucking selfish.

Anyway in conclusion, here are the reasons I bought 06 TL.
- DESIGN/BODY KIT
- VALUE
- HONDA/ACURA QUALITY
- DVD-A and sound system directed by a famous movie sound editor
- Less insurance payment on TL

I know that TL looks stiffer than G35 because G35 is more of round style compare to gothic designed TL. But design is very subjective. But I'm sure that the design of TL will last much longer than the over designed G35.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Safety Car

omg not again. Revived a old topic.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:05 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm...this thread started around the time when I bought my 06 6MT, so I didn't have a chance to weigh in on it. Glad someone bought it up so I could see it.

I'm happy I bought my TL, and for some very good reasons. I feel that with what I get, comfort, toys, and power, it is a much better deal than some of these other cars. I checked out the 07 G35. I liked the exterior, but I still has some concerns about the interior (though they did improve it).

One of the biggest things was the RWD, and it's practical use - NOT! With the snow being a factor here and in travel, I don't feel comfortable with the car being my daily commuter. So if I was going to own a G, it would be a coupe which I took out in the summer or when the weather was fair. Too much money for that.
Another thing was the power/performance thing. Yeah, it outperforms the TL and has more power, but how often am I going to get to play "Car and Driver Tester" with my car? Not very often, nor do I care a lot about doing that. Once in a while for fun, ok, but I am a lot more settled now, and I agree with other posters that a lot of people are middle-aged that drive the TL. So not a lot of speeding in that crowd.

I know a lot of people have said these things. Just saying my part. I love and prefer the TL. I think the true argument will come when Acura redesigns it's biggest seller to compete with the powerhouses and performance machines out there in 2009. RWD or SH-AWD (which I hope is the choice).

Then let the games begin.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ding069
the G35 is a better car all around than the 07 TL.

there really is no reason to buy a TL over the G35 unless you want to have an acura badge or FWD.
Dingo do you own a G35? No I didn't think so. Do you own a TL TYPE-S? No I didn't think so. How can you make such a statement like it's a fact or something?

I drove an 06 TL for three days while my TLS was in the shop for what ended up being a weak battery. My observation of the regular TL vs TLS is this: TLS has noticeably more power, outrageously improved handling and steering feel, improved interior and seat comfort, much nicer looking externally. The TLS to me was like an entirely different car. The 06 TL was a nice looking car for sure but it was sloppy in the handling dept (compared to the TLS), the power was not "on-tap" you had the floor it, the steering felt less than accurate, it just wasn't up to par.

To be honest if I had to choose between a TL (not TLS) and a G35 I would buy the G35 hands down. I wouldn't have made it to work on at least 5 occasion this winter but... the G35 does seem the better choice.

Now the G35 vs the TLS in my opinion is much much closer. G35 has an advantage in acceleration, but TLS has the handling advantage (FWD can get it done baby).
In my opinion the TLS is a better looking car inside and out. look and feel is something that we all differ on as humans. I love my TLS so much I look forward to driving it every day. I wish I had more places to drive it to. I'm sure if I had the G35 I would feel the same way BUT take my word for it the TLS is right there with the G35 in EVERY WAY.

Just a quick adder: My TLS is one of the best non 4wd vehicles I have ever driven in the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
let me tell you that this threads life will be short so get it out of your system now...
Old 02-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by simont53
I would agree on most comments when comparing to a 04/05 tl ,the type S dose compete more on performance though, although the G still gets it in a 0-60 stand off purely because of RWD v FWD, I did prefer the G steering wheel although the phone buttons etc were way too small (note the larger 07 buttons on th TL)

When you look closely at the vents and the nav it to me does not come up to the standard of the TL. the Nav is way off ,smaller screen and graphic definition.

To me the two cars are a subjective trade off with the Tl getting the looks/quality and the G getting the performance....both are great vehicles ....choose your weapon.!!!!!
IMO the G35 sedan is butt ugly (coupe looks great) I wouldn't buy just for that reason. But is a purely subjective assessment I admitt.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Advanced

Didn't mean to be negative

Originally Posted by trancemission
let me tell you that this threads life will be short so get it out of your system now...
Hopefully my comments are not the reason you are closing this thread.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by wilsonzhang2006
I have my heart set on a TL until I saw the pricing on the 07 G35. I don't know about the rest of you, but to me, it's a no-brainer.

07 G35 Journey with Premium package is listed for about $34250, which is $600 less than 06 G35.

07 TL S is around $38500. 07 TL(258 hp) doesn't even compare to 07 G35(306 hp).

The interior of 07 G35 is so much nicer than TL S. Guys, please tell me what I am missing here.

For $4000 less, you get more HP and Japanese-built quality. G is fully assembled in Japan, while TL is in Ohio. I think the exchange rate is the reason they can sell it less than last year. 07G and 07TL-s have very similar standard features.

What gives? What am I missing?

Not sure about exact pricng, but when I looked at G35 and optioned it up to a TL Navi the G35 was still about $2000 - $2500 more which put it in direct line with TL-S, I did not find the G35 pricing to be exceptional, also the TL has a bit more interior space, the G35 is a kick ass performer, but I like th eexecution on the TL interior, cleaner lines.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cary
To be honest if I had to choose between a TL (not TLS) and a G35 I would buy the G35 hands down. I wouldn't have made it to work on at least 5 occasion this winter but... the G35 does seem the better choice.
Everything else is pretty subjective, but at least I can chime in on this one... This won't be the case with the stock tires the TL comes with, as they suck too much. I say that, because the last snow storm we had, my wife got stuck on the hill with our TL. After getting it back home, I could not get it up our driveway until I shoveled the snow.... (Yes, tried with both VSA on and off).... I passed at least 4 or 5 TLs on the way up the hill, so it was a common theme...

Anyways, my 2wd G35 made it up my driveway just fine without shoveling the snow, wearing Pilot Sport All/Season tires.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm just saying that FWD does not automatically make it a better snow car.

Quick Reply: 07 G35 vs 07 TL