3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 TL: Custom lower grille's - Where to buy? Picture intalled grille?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:30 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 06 TL: Custom lower grille's - Where to buy? Picture intalled grille?

Have an 06 TL and the ugly part of the car, in my opinion, are the two lower grilles. Anyone have a source to buy custom grilles? Any pictures out there? Google provides nothing. (seems like no one makes 06 TL custom grilles)
Old 10-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
There is strips available to insert on the center or all of the ribs ... mostly just chrome door edge trim cut to size/angle.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Retired and Loving It

Originally Posted by bobsogood
Have an 06 TL and the ugly part of the car, in my opinion, are the two lower grilles. Anyone have a source to buy custom grilles? Any pictures out there? Google provides nothing. (seems like no one makes 06 TL custom grilles)
I've seen the chrome lower grills on ebay. I'd like to see a chrome or custom upper grill for the 06 TL.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Damn Right, Ima G!

You need to custom make the grill yourself...Order a mesh grill off the internet. The bumper does need to come off inorder for you to replace it.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 595 Likes on 458 Posts
Bobsogood, I did not find anything available for the 3rd gen lower grilles, but it is very easy to pop them out and then simply cut out all of the horizontals and vertical pieces except the large center rib section. dont wory about cutting them flush, leave a little then file or sand off till flush. spot putty any imperfections and then paint the grille with krylon fusion paint for plastic. I used satin black. trim any perforated or expanded metal in the pattern of your choice to 3.5" tall and then lay behind grille trim to fit on the ends and pop them back in. The existing grilles are a little loose in the opening and the new metal grille getting sandwiched in there makes everything nice and tite. There is no need to epoxy the metal to the plastic grille. This is what my grilles turned out like. first I did them in black mesh, but there was not enough difference IMO between these and the stock so i went back to the unpainted mesh and clear coated them to stay shiny and I like the contrast alot better. it matches the silver finish in the center grille.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Suzuka Master

OOOOOPPSSSSSSSSSS sorry about the size of the pics, thought they would be resized! little blurry too as I was in the parking garage
Old 10-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Nice grill and thanks for the pics.

I have a NBP and i'm disliking the grill. I want to do something about it. Would the grill look good on my car or does anybody here have a NBP with the front grill that i can check it out?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Does anyone have a website that i can buy the mesh from? I like the mesh to have bigger holes than those^
Old 10-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Here is a better pic of the openings in the grille, it is fairly open. With larger openings you start to see more of the stuff behind the grille and may need to paint it out black or something.

for a large selection of materials check out McNichols Company www.mcnichols.com
Old 10-04-2006, 12:21 AM
8th Gear

pohljm That's what I'm looking for.

pohljm your car looks great....big too!........ Real big!....... nice photos!........Do you know what type mesh that is? Where did you buy it? Yours looks perfect. Thank you for your assistance..
Old 10-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

pohljm your car looks great....big too!........ Real big!....... nice photos!........Do you know what type mesh that is? Where did you buy it? Yours looks perfect. Thank you for your assistance..
Bobsoood, The mesh that I used is from Lowes home store it is called gutter guard and is in with all of the raingutter materials. you get a bunch in a package for like $6, I found some open and damaged packages and they gave me about 3 packages worth loose for $3. If your in San Diego I have a bunch left that your welcome to have.

Since the photos I put my a-spec kit on so I polyurethaned the mesh so that it would keep the galvanized finish since I wont be able to take them out now that the lip is on. It works perfect in that the dimension that you need to trim it to is 3.5" and that happens to fall on the module of the mesh so that there are no sharp legs or edges when you cut it down. you will have some on the ends when you trim it legthwise because it is a tapered shape. Good luck with your mod.......its hella easy
Old 10-04-2006, 12:59 PM
B A N N E D

how do u remove the lower grills. I have an A-Spec lip if it makes any difference?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 10-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Slammed_JDM
how do u remove the lower grills. I have an A-Spec lip if it makes any difference?

Thanks,
Jonathan
well you need to remove the a-spec lip first in order to remove the grill, once that has been done... 7 screws, 2 bolts, and 2 clips later........the grills are held in by clips around the perimeter of the frame and you can reach most all of them by reaching around the backside from below. then the grilles pop straight out.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:54 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by pohljm
well you need to remove the a-spec lip first in order to remove the grill, once that has been done... 7 screws, 2 bolts, and 2 clips later........the grills are held in by clips around the perimeter of the frame and you can reach most all of them by reaching around the backside from below. then the grilles pop straight out.
is there any way to prevent from removing the lip. Sounds like a PITA to take the lip or bumper off?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Slammed_JDM
is there any way to prevent from removing the lip. Sounds like a PITA to take the lip or bumper off?
nope.............only way is to take the lip off...not the bumper! It is only 7 screws, 2 bolts, and 2 clips l
Old 10-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Team Nighthawk member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tone-NBP
Nice grill and thanks for the pics.

I have a NBP and i'm disliking the grill. I want to do something about it. Would the grill look good on my car or does anybody here have a NBP with the front grill that i can check it out?
Here you go

I spray painted the mesh black.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

MaFreCola, That looks nice on the dark painted cars, I did that first too and then went back to the silver finish for more contrast, also in the week or so I had the black on some of the paint chipped off from bugs or something. I would definetly prep the galvanized finish better if I was planning on going with the black paint, probobly a primer designed for galvanized metal would do the trick. Especially now that I have the aspec lip on it would be a pain to have to go back in and repaint it.

What is the zip tie for did you epoxy the grille in? mine is just sandwiched between the grille and bumper?
Old 10-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Team Nighthawk member

MaFreCola, That looks nice on the dark painted cars, I did that first too and then went back to the silver finish for more contrast, also in the week or so I had the black on some of the paint chipped off from bugs or something. I would definetly prep the galvanized finish better if I was planning on going with the black paint, probobly a primer designed for galvanized metal would do the trick. Especially now that I have the aspec lip on it would be a pain to have to go back in and repaint it.

What is the zip tie for did you epoxy the grille in? mine is just sandwiched between the grille and bumper?
Yeah, prepping is important. I sprayed some primer and 3 coats and a year later, there are still no chips on the paint.

As for the zip ties, I used them to temporarily hold the mesh down while the epoxy cured.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
how did you get it to hold...did u just used zip ties? or did you use that silicon adhesive like the other thread had said ? ( I forgot whos it was, but there was someones thread with mesh grill)
Old 10-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MaFreCoLa, that looks really good....I'm about to do it!
Old 10-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Team Nighthawk member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JJaber06
MaFreCoLa, that looks really good....I'm about to do it!
Do it!!! You won't regret it and it's relatively easy to do.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

It is very easy to do, but the whole epoxy process is not necessary, if you cut the mesh to 3.5" tall and then trim it at the ends to be flush with the plastic grille profile you are done! push the assembly back into the bumper and the plastic frame will sandwich the mesh and hold it securely.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=grill
Old 10-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Intermediate

There's a way to take out the lower grills without taking the bumper off (as someone mentioned), can anybody help me out with that? I can't seem to unclip the top left two clips from the bumper. Can anyone provide me with some helpful information before I yank it out and break one of those clips? Any visual aid would be nice.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GIVER
There's a way to take out the lower grills without taking the bumper off (as someone mentioned), can anybody help me out with that? I can't seem to unclip the top left two clips from the bumper. Can anyone provide me with some helpful information before I yank it out and break one of those clips? Any visual aid would be nice.
There is no need to remove the bumper at all to do this. The two clips farthest to the outside of the car are the most difficult to get. If you have long enough arms you can actually work your hand all the way back to the clips from below the bumper and then release them. you can also use a very thin piece of plastic like a credit card and slide it in from the front and push hard till it pops the clip up and releases it.. I have done both, the credit card requires you to push really hard and feels like your gonna break something. It takes some time to work your hand all the way back there and its uncomfortable but you can get to them.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:48 AM
The DealerMan

I purchased on chrome stripes from ebay and Acura chrome decals. Looks decent, but I prefer to custom chrome grill for my car.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:37 AM
Intermediate

Red face

There is no need to remove the bumper at all to do this. The two clips farthest to the outside of the car are the most difficult to get. If you have long enough arms you can actually work your hand all the way back to the clips from below the bumper and then release them. you can also use a very thin piece of plastic like a credit card and slide it in from the front and push hard till it pops the clip up and releases it.. I have done both, the credit card requires you to push really hard and feels like your gonna break something. It takes some time to work your hand all the way back there and its uncomfortable but you can get to them.
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to try this tomorrow in the morning.

Btw. anyone know how much that piece costs to replace?
Old 10-08-2006, 02:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GIVER
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to try this tomorrow in the morning.

Btw. anyone know how much that piece costs to replace?
go for it..........even if you were to break off both of the last clips, which you wont, the other 6 would hold the grill in just fine, there would be no need for a new grill
Old 10-08-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
For those with an Aspec lip, you HAVE to remove the lip in order to access the lower grills. Unless you bend back the lip with a crow bar...

Check this thread out...

https://acurazine.com/forums/show...highlight=grill