Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 TL swap in 03 TL-s tranny questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 07:50 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 TL swap in 03 TL-s tranny questions.

Okay so I picked up a 03 jdm B7WA tranny today.. does anybody know if I will have any issues using this tranny in my 05 TL?

I noticed on the tranny I have in the 05 doesn’t have that speed sensor or whatever it is that goes to the rack but this b7wa does?

should I just delete it ?

Old 05-18-2021, 07:56 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by bigmikeyapple
Okay so I picked up a 03 jdm B7WA tranny today.. does anybody know if I will have any issues using this tranny in my 05 TL?

I noticed on the tranny I have in the 05 doesn’t have that speed sensor or whatever it is that goes to the rack but this b7wa does?

should I just delete it ?
Question, why would you want to replace a known flawed transmission with one with even more flaws? The only well regarded bolt in compatible transmission for your 05 TL is one from a 2006-2007 Honda V6 Accord; accept no substitutes.
The following users liked this post:
Acura TL Builder (05-19-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 08:07 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Question, why would you want to replace a known flawed transmission with one with even more flaws? The only well regarded bolt in compatible transmission for your 05 TL is one from a 2006-2007 Honda V6 Accord; accept no substitutes.

i was unaware of this .. I had asked them if it was a BDGA and was a compatible jdm
one and they told me yes.

I will call him tomorrow and have him bring me a different one.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:17 PM
Latent car nut

i was unaware of this .. I had asked them if it was a BDGA and was a compatible jdm
one and they told me yes.

I will call him tomorrow and have him bring me a different one.
If you are going by transmission codes, the unit you're looking for is the BAYA transmission.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:20 PM
8th Gear

If you are going by transmission codes, the unit you're looking for is the BAYA transmission.

okay forsure .. so this one they sent me has everything the same and looks like it will bolt up
directly and work but the 2nd gen TL-s jdm trannys have issues?

Old 05-19-2021, 03:37 AM
Latent car nut

okay forsure .. so this one they sent me has everything the same and looks like it will bolt up
directly and work but the 2nd gen TL-s jdm trannys have issues?
As far as I know, there was no such a thing as a 2G TL Type-S JDM transmission. That creature simply never existed. And yes, all 2G TL transmissions were fragile, to be kind.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:09 AM
8th Gear

As far as I know, there was no such a thing as a 2G TL Type-S JDM transmission. That creature simply never existed. And yes, all 2G TL transmissions were fragile, to be kind.
When I google the transmission code this is all what I find.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:18 AM
Latent car nut

@bigmikeyapple, what you're seeing is an interchange, there was no such a thing as a 2G TL Type-S in Japan. The thing is, the BAYA transmission is an exclusively North American unit; JDM companies do not source them.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:36 AM
8th Gear

@bigmikeyapple, what you're seeing is an interchange, there was no such a thing as a 2G TL Type-S in Japan. The thing is, the BAYA transmission is an exclusively North American unit; JDM companies do not source them.

oh okay! Yes I see the baya trannys online but im done with US spec transmissions I have had nothing but issues with them . I think I’m going to have this guy come pick this one back up and refund my $750 and go grab a just a jdm BDGA. I’ve heard nothing but horror stories about US spec valve body’s in these.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:23 AM
Latent car nut

oh okay! Yes I see the baya trannys online but im done with US spec transmissions I have had nothing but issues with them . I think I’m going to have this guy come pick this one back up and refund my $750 and go grab a just a jdm BDGA. I’ve heard nothing but horror stories about US spec valve body’s in these.
If someone is selling you a "JDM" transmission with a manufacturing code of BDGA, then I'm thinking there is a little larceny going on. Unless I'm mistaken, ALL JDM Honda 5-Speed automatic (H5 for short) transmissions start with an "M", not a "B".

As for US Spec transmissions, the BAYA is widely regarded as the absolute best bolt compatible H5 transmission for the 2004-2006 TLs.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:38 AM
8th Gear

If someone is selling you a "JDM" transmission with a manufacturing code of BDGA, then I'm thinking there is a little larceny going on. Unless I'm mistaken, ALL JDM Honda 5-Speed automatic (H5 for short) transmissions start with an "M", not a "B".

As for US Spec transmissions, the BAYA is widely regarded as the absolute best bolt compatible H5 transmission for the 2004-2006 TLs.
thank you so much for the help!!

the current transmission I had the shop swap in does drive normal in reverse and in low but the minute you put it into drive it doesn’t want to move without high rpms.. I was throwing two codes p0776 and p0757 . I replaced the linear solenoid valve with an oem one but still having the issues. This is why I’m on the hunt to find a transmission, this “shop” that swapped the transmission did not fill up the torque converter either when the second tech did first start had to add 6 qts of oils.. I’m thinking this is what toasted the tranny.

codes for reference:

P0776 Pressure Control Solenoid B Performance or Stuck Off
P0757 Shift Solenoid B Stuck On

should I replace the rest of sensors first before pulling this tranny? I do have all new oem sensors... or do you think it could be internal?

Old 05-23-2021, 10:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,486 Posts
^
I don't know why these JDM transmissions keep presenting problems when swapped.
The guy below had problems with his when it was installed into his 2G TL.
No way I'd jump on one of these.

Originally Posted by Ryan Macon
Hey all, after 4 horror stories later dealing with unreliable mechanics, the av6 is swapped in my car..

Lets not mention the 2 calls I got for issues, that were literally solved and explained within step 2 and 3 of the av6 swap guide. (which i harrassed the dude about but his pride got in the way and he didnt read shit)

Vehicle will not shift into 3rd, 4th, or 5th.

ATF Cooler Swapped, Harness Swapped, Trans Switch Swapped and Adjusted, TC filled with fluid. Is this a solenoid problem? My av6 trans is 07 accord JDM trans with less than 50k miles on it..

Throws code P0780, any clue of what this is?
Originally Posted by Ryan Macon
@zeta
One more question!

Car isnt going into 3rd, 4th or 5th.. IDK what the mechanics are doing but they refused to read the guide and ive had to go thru twice and tell them they fucked up because they would call me saying theres a need for this or that.. they didnt swap the atf cooler, nor the trans range switch.. however that is done now.. I bought a solenoid today cause one was broke, and the others were swapped over from the old... but still no dice.
Good Luck OP!