Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 TL AT Front end bounce in curves

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 06:39 AM
2005 TL Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 TL AT Front end bounce in curves

I have been looking for information on this topic for days. So here is a new post:

I just traded in my 03 TL-3 for a 05 TL AT Navi (Stock Michelin Pilots) and have been hitting my favorite freeway transitions. On one in particular which has several dips, the front end feels like it is digging into the ground and very unstable at 60-70mph. The 03 TL-S could power through very smoothly at up to 80. Do you know why? Is that a behavior that sounds normal for this car? Will the A-Spec suspension help? Comptech rear sway bar? It is my only disappointment.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:23 AM
2005 TL Owner

Nobody has an opinion on this? I cannot belive it. I have read related posts about bounce on certain road types. I want to get a feel for whether this is a problem I should track down or a "feature".

If it is a feature, will the A-Spec suspension control it better? I have to say I am really disappointed on the suspension compared to my stock 03 TL-S.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:43 AM
Racer

I have not read anything about a similar problem, I can tell you that mine powers around corners at a high speed with no problem, all the way up to where the VSA has kicked in and helped keep things straight. I have a driveline vibration but other thatn that the ride of my TL is awesome at all speeds. I am sure suspension upgrades will help but maybe something else is up or it may be the road. The bad dips combined witha different suspension might just be a bad combination in that case. Have you powered tyhrough other corners with the smae problem?
Old 12-08-2004, 04:05 AM
2005 TL Owner

Yes, I have powered through several of my favorite freeway transitions. If the road is smooth, no problem. But, for the few that have slight to moderate dips (which is actually more fun to me), the front end bounces hard and feels really unstable. These are roads I have driven over 100's of times with 5 or 6 different cars so I know their feel by heart. And as of a few days ago I was driving over them with with the 03 TL-S.

I have not found any threads directly on this topic, but I have read posts in other threads commenting on bouncing or softness.

The 05 TL seems to have stiffer suspension than the 03 TL-S. Is that the way a tighter suspension drives?
Old 12-08-2004, 04:30 AM
Racer

I gues it all depends what you are comparing with. My Mustang hits the bumps in the corners and keeps going, on the larger ones it of course upsets the car a bit in the corner. But my TL in the same corner just goes around with a bit of rebound but nothing I would call excessive. I never thought about it bouncing but of course you will get a bit. The rebound from the suspension is going to be there.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:45 AM
Instructor

I have read a road test review, I believe it was in Motor Trend, about strange suspension oscillations in the 3rd gen TL. These were attributed to Acura's attempt to make the car handle with a more European feel but still keep the soft ride characteristics of a Japanese car.
I have found that compared to my "01 CL that I have higher entry speeds into corners with the TL and if the road is smooth the TL handles much better, but I have noticed that if the road undulates in the curve that I will get a strange bouncing in the suspension. I don't believe that the car is at it's limit of adhesion but the bouncing creates an unsettling feeling.
Since this suspension motion is a result of compression and rebound stiffer springs and shocks should help but be aware that you will sacrifice ride quality 100% of the time to correct a problem that only exists only as an anomoly. If I raced my TL I might consider this but since I don't I'll stick with the standard suspension package that offers what I think is a very reasonable compromise.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:13 PM
VTEC HoooA

In answer to your query, I have the A-Spec suspension and the issue you mentioned is still present. The suspension is not damped heavily enough, even with the upgrade. I am considering going to a stiffer setup sometime soon, as it feels very unstable at speed.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Shift_faster

To add to what Nodoze said.

I also have the A-Spec suspension. It firms up the ride nicely, because the shocks are stiffer. I think it is a "mild" upgrade compared to Teins, etc. etc. but since I also take clients out, and this is a daily driver, I wasn't looking for a jarring ride.

You are right about undulations in the road affecting the ride. The ride becomes floaty and unsettled, completely different from how it acts on a smooth surface. The A-Spec suspension cures most of it, to me. (I might think of getting Bilsteins in the future if its worth it to me then).
Old 12-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
i dont no the 03 tl's ride but the 05's r ok...... no dips as u hav described tho try to get the a-spec altho i dont hav it...... heard many good things bout it.....

03 suburban z71
Old 12-09-2004, 03:00 AM
2005 TL Owner

Thanks for the responses guys. It is a relief of sorts that the behavior is "normal" and not a defect. It is just disappointing as curves at high-speed is my favorite part of the sport side of driving. (atleast in the city)

I'd love to test drive a TL with A-Spec suspension before I get it done. As rontatuaf expressed, I do not want the ride too stiff.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I also have the A-Spec suspension and share Poocha's opinion. Further, the car feels more unstable in steep right-hand turns on the freeway lately, feeling as if it will roll. Planning to take to dealer for evaluation.