05 Rumors and Coming of age

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004 | 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Could it be?

Originally Posted by Jpegged
Funny you would mention that, as that is exactly my business.
Are you Brian Kinney??

XP
Old 06-28-2004 | 03:50 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by sedgett
I have a 2004 TL 6 speed that I've owned for six months; my trade in was a 2001 BMW 325 wagon (with sport package). Before buying the TL, I drove the IS300 (too small), the G35 (nearly a perfect 330 for $10k less), the Cadillac CTS (godawful looks IMHO, and cheesy GM interior) and the Audi A4 (all the disadvantage of FWD and the questionable Audi reliability). I concluded that the TL offered the most of what I was looking for in this price range and bought one. That's what I'm seeing.

The interior finishes are best in class, and I think the nav system and built-in bluetooth are well-integrated options. If I had it to do over, I think I'd go for the G35 and live with the lesser interior and lack of bluetooth. Interesting

The Infiniti has a nice rorty engine, the FM chassis is a near match for the 3-series and is a little smaller than the TL. The 38 foot turning circle

>>EEK!<<

on the TL is occasionally annoying, and I really don't need more rear seat room than what I had in the 325. I did a couple of track days in the 325 and had a ball; I am almost not tempted to take the TL despite the additional 80 horsepower.

If straight-line performance is your thing, it is difficult to find more for the TL price. If you like to push the car through the twisties, I'd look only at rear-drive cars. Having said this, I live in the SF Bay area and have no need for the winter advantage of FWD or AWD.

Good luck!

Steve Edgett
Understood.

I great assessment on both autos. I live on Florida so RWD is by no means an necessity either, though should a AWD 05 version be available I might just toss it in during sale. The TL is elegant it doesn't have a speedy-feel though I know it is.

As you noted the G35 does have the gut down low. Interesting points I'd not taken into consideration, nor the issue of the turning radius; not that that's some over baring deterrent.

Thanks Steve.
Old 06-28-2004 | 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator

My Jeep, myself

Originally Posted by Pot80h
LOL! - you could easily lose one in this guy (I call him Dustdevil)! He's had a 5" lift, so it's even bouncier, especially offroading. Waaay too much fun, especially right now with the top off. Gotta love a car that costs $50 to register, tho. 83K miles, 11 years old and he passed his smog first time! He's my little buddy - but only on the weekends.
My Tar Baby is 12 years old (1992), has a 4" lift, rims and Michelin mud/snows, Smitty Bros. tube bumpers and steps, overhead light bar with 5 K/C Halogens. I've got 160,000 miles. It's my everyday driver and the top is down most of the time.

And we "own" the Everglades- except for air boats. I'm a 'glades rat. I love it out there! And it's only 20 minutes away.

If you PM me with your email addy, I'll send you a pic. I don't know how to post them here. I still haven't figured that out yet.

XP
Old 06-28-2004 | 04:11 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Are you Brian Kinney??

XP
Negative. Justice Mitchell, I work as a Interactive Creative Director for an ad agency in Maitland, FL. Sorry
Old 07-07-2004 | 05:00 PM
6th Gear

If autospies is to be believed. . .

. . .the 2005 (MY or calendar, I don't know) TL will offer AWD -- and, IMHO, if they keep the manual tranny and make AWD an option, all the torque steer naysayers will have to look elsewhere for complaints about this car.

I have only test driven the TL, but this is the first NON-German car ever to actually merit serious consideration. The experience was so good, I am now considering the RL and perhaps even the GS300AWD from Lexus.

Of course, the Germans have had my attention for so many years, it will be a tough contest -- but my wife would go Acura for a 6spd AWD TL in a heartbeat.

In terms of status, boy am I tempted to suggest that your list is full of fine cars as machines, but who would or would not do "bidness" with you based on your wheels. You want a decent car, certainly, but what in the wide wide world of sports makes you think for a minute that an S2000 is a "client impressive" car? My wife has a TT -- and it probably gets some looks, but I seriously doubt her abilities as a lawyer are somehow elevated because of her car. A "beater" is probably not a good idea anymore than a polyester liesure suit is, but within reason, you do not need any one of the cars you mentioned.

Indeed, some of my clients, especially since 9-11 "suggest" that vendors cars should be American -- my real estate friends say the same thing. You will not offend someone with a new American car -- and a "foreign" car may just send the wrong message.

When I go to clients who I know think that way, I don't drive my Audi -- I ride with someone else in their Aurora, for example. No harm, no foul that way.
Old 07-07-2004 | 05:17 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
You want a decent car, certainly, but what in the wide wide world of sports makes you think for a minute that an S2000 is a "client impressive" car? My wife has a TT -- and it probably gets some looks, but I seriously doubt her abilities as a lawyer are somehow elevated because of her car. A "beater" is probably not a good idea anymore than a polyester liesure suit is, but within reason, you do not need any one of the cars you mentioned.
Mark,

You’ve made many an astute point about cars and clientele alike. I have both a full-time job at an ad agency and a home-based business running a virtually staffed web/ad agency as well. My home based business, while not large, still has me from time-to-time meeting clients at there workplace or at their homes. As I see it a key to good personal ‘branding’ is from the clothes you wear, to the work in your book, to the car you drive. The S2000, while true, not practical for client transport still sides with my particular field as, shall we say ‘alternative’. The TL on the other hand, while sporty has a good sense of conservative mild-affluence. I’m not materialistic person by nature, but perception holds great weight when earning their money. ~Sigh~ Plus, I just love cars — period
Old 07-07-2004 | 09:35 PM
USC YQUE

Actually...

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
. . .the 2005 (MY or calendar, I don't know) TL will offer AWD -- and, IMHO, if they keep the manual tranny and make AWD an option, all the torque steer naysayers will have to look elsewhere for complaints about this car...
AutoSpies.com did not mention that the 2005 TL would offer AWD (which personally, I would love). It just mentioned the possibility that future TL's (which may not be until the 2006, 2007, 2008, or 2009 MY TL's) might offer AWD as an option. It would be nice; but the consensus is that the RL would offer AWD for the time being.
Old 07-08-2004 | 08:47 AM
6th Gear

Autospies etc., clarification. . .

At the following URL:

http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...5&categoryId=1

Autospies, does indeed say: future TL's -- however, and I apologize for not being able to find a further supportive URL, I have read that 2005 TL's will offer AWD. As I recall, the article (also on the web and also subject to the various cautions about "facts") could be interepreted to mean MY 2005 or calendar 2005 (as an '06?).

I will keep looking for the blog and the URL and repost.

In further support of calendar 2005, not MY 2005, I did ask my local dealer (but, in fairness they seem to know last) who claimed the RL will be SH-AWD and the TL, as of "now" will continue on as FWD with only minor MY "improvements."

I, too, want the TL to be offered in AWD, or rather, SH-AWD -- the sooner the better.