Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 TL interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 TL interior lights

By Navi 4 buttons don't lite up and on the drivers heating seat button (orange, low heat) how can I fix this?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

On the 2004 model year these buttons had no backlight on them, so it's not that something is "wrong". From what I understand, this oversight was corrected in the 2005 model.

Same thing for your steering wheel controls- you'll notice there's no backlight for the volume, HFL or cruise control.

How Acura overlooked something this basic- and useful- is beyond me. I have a 2004 and that caught me off guard too.

There are DIYs on the forum on how to add your own backlight to them, but I've never tried them so I can't judge as to whether it's worth the effort.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Instructor

lol no, it's not that they just broke that's all i know it cuz it always worked one day they went off... im trying tof ix it
Old 10-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Wow---DuoDSG is completely wrong.
ALL of the buttons mentioned in this thread are backlit. You just have burned out bulbs. Check in the 3G Garage in Section G for info on how to replace all of them with LEDs. If you just want to replace them with factory bulbs, the threads will still be useful to you.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Make it so

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dwb993
Wow---DuoDSG is completely wrong.
ALL of the buttons mentioned in this thread are backlit. You just have burned out bulbs. Check in the 3G Garage in Section G for info on how to replace all of them with LEDs. If you just want to replace them with factory bulbs, the threads will still be useful to you.
I'm just repeating what I've been told various times here on AZ. If those climate control buttons on the right side of the navi screen are supposed to be backlit, then that's news to me!

Thanks for calling me on this, now I can get things working on my ride instead of assuming that's the way it was made.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Team Anthracite member

All of those buttons are backlit. Even the steering wheel, all the writing is backlit. I had my phone answer/hang up lights go out and had them fixed via Acura. As for the seat heater lights, you can change yourself but you will have to rip up the center console (the silver strips running down both sides) and do some unscrewing to get to the lights. After that Im sure its just figure it out DIY.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Make it so

Question

This post has me intrigued as to how to go about doing this. Thankfully I have Fall Break from school this weekend so hopefully I can knock it out during that time.

My questions are as follows:

1. It seems I need a specialized wrench or attachment to remove the airbag on the steering wheel. Where can I find this without having to straight-up buy it (I don't work on my car enough to make more use out of it, so if I can borrow it from somewhere that'd be ideal)?
  2. In none of the DIY threads on the forum have I found the part number for the bulbs in the steering wheel backlit controls. Any help?
  3. The bulbs behind the Recirculate, Rear Window Defroster and Window Vents (the one that removes fog from the windshield, or whatever it's called) are out. Are they the same part number, and if not, what is it?
  4. Along the lines with #3, I haven't found a DIY to replace those. I'm sure it exists, but please bear with me- not having a forum for just DIYs means that using the advanced search can give you the wrong results if you don't use the exact term that is in the thread. Could someone point me to that thread and help me out?
If it makes any difference, I have a 2004 TL 5AT with Navi

Much love, guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
This looks like a job for the 3G Garage:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-service-department-aka-garage-questions-answers-check-here-first-553557/

BAM!!!

Check section G, I believe.
I saw a recent post (within the last 90 days or so) listing the OEM bulb part #s. It looked like it was a page from oemacuraparts.com. Try searching there.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Make it so

Thumbs up

I actually already checked there in the 3G garage. There are no threads listed in there that discuss replacing the bulbs for the steering wheel or navi cluster.

I did find one already about how to do the steering wheel, but the thread had no part numbers.

I just called Acura and I am looking at the honda e-store so hopefully I can get some answers there.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:37 PM
CARBON FIBER WDP TL

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
hmmm i think they are suppose to be lit...do some search i bet you will find more than one anwser
Old 10-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Make it so

Thumbs up

Well I looked through the parts diagrams and since there is a bulb there, they should definitely be lit.

I believe the bulb SIZES list that you were referring to is here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-acura-tl-bulb-sizes-list-3g-garage-g-077-a-691135/

As for the part numbers, I am going through on AcuraOEMparts and ordering what I need since it turns out it will be almost $30 cheaper than buying from the stealership.

I will post those part numbers once I find them so you can order them if you want.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Make it so

Ok last question, I promise...

I know we have to remove the SRS airbag from the center of the steering wheel to access the screws and remove the cruise control/volume control assemblies to replace the bulbs.

I've heard we need that special hex screwdriver to remove that. And I'm also reading and some people are saying that removing the airbag is asking for certain death.

I need some opinions on this, and what I can do about this. Muchas gracias, amigos.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd like to know how to replace the bulbs as well. I have some letters on the steering wheel and the navi buttons that are out as well
Old 10-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
Steering wheel features two T-20 (I think) tamper proof bolts that are threaded through the steering wheel braces and air bag. Disconnect the battery, wait 10 minutes for full electrical discharge and remove; there will be one harness to disconnect from the airbag, acessible from a cover beneath the wheel; the second is a pin connector for the horn. Upper controls are removed via 3 or 2 phillips head bolts, the lower, 2 or 4 (I forget)...be forewarned, the upper are a bitch to remove the first time (mine were on tight as hell).

All buttons should be illuminate with the exception of the side mirror defrost. DIY for LEDs if you're feeling adventurous in the garage.

CubanLynx has a killer write-up for the steering wheel, do a search under his name.

GL.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Make it so

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
Steering wheel features two T-20 (I think) tamper proof bolts that are threaded through the steering wheel braces and air bag. Disconnect the battery, wait 10 minutes for full electrical discharge and remove; there will be one harness to disconnect from the airbag, acessible from a cover beneath the wheel; the second is a pin connector for the horn. Upper controls are removed via 3 or 2 phillips head bolts, the lower, 2 or 4 (I forget)...be forewarned, the upper are a bitch to remove the first time (mine were on tight as hell).

All buttons should be illuminate with the exception of the side mirror defrost. DIY for LEDs if you're feeling adventurous in the garage.

CubanLynx has a killer write-up for the steering wheel, do a search under his name.

GL.

MOST EXCELLENT. I found the thread (for anyone that wants it).

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/f-168-steering-wheel-removal-763962/

Question remains: where do I get the Torx bit? Is this something I can buy or rent?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't have to disconnect the airbag, there's enough length in the harness that you can just very gently tilt it forward to lift out the button arrays and change the bulbs. It's said that Radio Shack sells replacement bulbs, I haven't checked that for myself. If so, you probably have to mount the new bulb in the old base, which is not difficult. Also, the OEM bulbs come with a blue condom over the glass so you get that green color when it's lit. Those come off, and could be reused on the new bulb. I changed mine a year ago and one has burned out already, so I will be visiting Radio Shack soon--OEMs run about $5 apiece.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by kthai417
i'd like to know how to replace the bulbs as well. I have some letters on the steering wheel and the navi buttons that are out as well
where do you live i can help you to change the bulbs for free
Old 10-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DuoDSG
MOST EXCELLENT. I found the thread (for anyone that wants it).

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763962

Question remains: where do I get the Torx bit? Is this something I can buy or rent?
You can find them easily on line. You can get a set of quarter-inch drive sockets fairly cheaply. The access holes in the steering wheel are large enough to accommodate a T20 socket. You'll get good use out of a set. Tamper-proof Torx bits will do anything a standard Torx will do, as well as dealing with tamper-proof heads.

I second DeathMetal's warning about the upper bolts. They're Loctited like you wouldn't believe and you have to be careful not to strip the heads.