Sponsored by:

04-05 TL Pro's n Cons

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04-05 TL Pro's n Cons

HI all,

I am thinking about trading my 02 TL-P for an 04 or 05 TL(s). I haven't seen any "bad" threads on the 04/05 TL's. So I would like to know if there is any quirks and stuff I should know about the 3rd gen tl's. (ie) Transmission problems like the 2nd gen, anything at all. Please share your experiences w/ the 3rd gens. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:16 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Well the 04 TL was under the transmission recall. Other than that I see no reason why the 04/05 TL wouldn't be just as good/better than the one you are driving.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Awesome to the Max

rattles?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:07 PM
7th Gear

Heres My List

I have a new TL,,,after driving a Lexus ES300,,,I wish I had stayed with the Lexus. Granted this is a sporty car, but I guess Im just use to more luxury. One thing I totally hate about my TL is that when I open the door to get in, it always closes on me. Or when Im getting out of the car, the door just wont stay open, unless I hold it for 30 seconds or more to get it hitched. Drives me batty. I miss the compass. I dont like the way the steering wheel has to be adjusted. There is a horrible blind spot when trying to back out, by the back door window. I do like how fast it is. I dont like hearing "Isnt that a Honda?"
Old 12-27-2004, 09:39 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kansasTLowner
I dont like hearing "Isnt that a Honda?"
funny, i usually hear isnt that a bimmer

or simply what is that awesome s*it
Old 12-27-2004, 10:23 PM
10th Gear

Lexus ES 330 = isnt that a toyota camry?
Old 12-27-2004, 10:29 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by massk87
LOL!
Old 12-27-2004, 10:38 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Originally Posted by massk87
hah

The Scion TC is the camry. It has the camry engine. Except heavy as fu*k. SC that thing and you'll get a SC Camry. Nice car thought.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:41 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Make sure you drive the car you are going to buy before putting the cash down, many have vibration and harmonic resonance issues, some are going, or have gone through arbitration/lemon law, and some have been bought back.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:02 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by mastertl
hah

The Scion TC is the camry. It has the camry engine. Except heavy as fu*k. SC that thing and you'll get a SC Camry. Nice car thought.
Uh, where'd you get *that* info? The TC is much smaller than the Camry, so how can it be the same? The Scion only shares its engine with the lower level Camry. Scion TC is built on the non-US Toyota Avensis platform:
http://www.scionlife.com/tc/
http://www.toyota-europe.com/showroom/avensis/

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
Just had to correct that.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:06 PM
I love cars!

I have a new TL,,,after driving a Lexus ES300,,,I wish I had stayed with the Lexus. Granted this is a sporty car, but I guess Im just use to more luxury. One thing I totally hate about my TL is that when I open the door to get in, it always closes on me. Or when Im getting out of the car, the door just wont stay open, unless I hold it for 30 seconds or more to get it hitched. Drives me batty. I miss the compass. I dont like the way the steering wheel has to be adjusted. There is a horrible blind spot when trying to back out, by the back door window. I do like how fast it is. I dont like hearing "Isnt that a Honda?"
I can't see that driving me batty. I re-read the post and kept asking myself, how friggin long does it take to get in or out of a car? Not nearly 30 seconds. I mean, just get in already. I don't see a reason to have the door open while you're getting settled, if that's what's taking you so long.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:20 AM
7th Gear

When I open the door,,,get in the seat,,I can hardly get my leg in before the door closes on it. No, Im not fat or old,,,the door just wont stay open. Its going in to be checked tomorrow, maybe they can adjust it. And whoever wrote that the Lexus is a Toyota, correct,,,thats why I changed cars,,it did look too much like the camry. Hoping in the next few years they will change the style. And yes, I do think the TL looks alot like the BMW. I didnt say it wasnt a great looking car. Just sharing my gripes.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:44 AM
I love cars!

Fair enough...could be a broken door.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either that or you should be pushing it out further.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:33 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like a test drive and a little research up front could have saved you some agony. Sorry you are not happy.

Door has two stop points that should work, half and full open, other than that it will self close.

Agree on blind spot, partial covered in another long thread.

Regarding looks like a Honda or Camry; that's what they are; Get Over It. What did you think you were buying?

Alternative if that really bothers you is get a BMW or Mercedes if that will make you feel better.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bello425
HI all,

I am thinking about trading my 02 TL-P for an 04 or 05 TL(s). I haven't seen any "bad" threads on the 04/05 TL's. So I would like to know if there is any quirks and stuff I should know about the 3rd gen tl's. (ie) Transmission problems like the 2nd gen, anything at all. Please share your experiences w/ the 3rd gens. Thanks in advance.
You may see this already, if not, check this https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105735
Old 12-29-2004, 09:40 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by MR1
Sounds like a test drive and a little research up front could have saved you some agony. Sorry you are not happy.

Door has two stop points that should work, half and full open, other than that it will self close.

Agree on blind spot, partial covered in another long thread.

Regarding looks like a Honda or Camry; that's what they are; Get Over It. What did you think you were buying?

Alternative if that really bothers you is get a BMW or Mercedes if that will make you feel better.

It amazes me how much rudeness I read on here. The car is at the dealership today and they are checking on the door hinge,,,,I know how to open a door to the hinge,,and it just wouldnt hold <period>. Its almost as if the heaviness of the door and angle of the car were just too much for it to stay open. I do hope they can fix it,,otherwise, I have been getting in real fast and making sure my leg is clear before it gets cut off,,lol,,,,Please dont get me wrong, I like the car,,its just going to take a while to get use to the sportiness of it. Im a realtor and have always had bigger more luxurious cars. But this one is fun.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:56 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

It amazes me how much rudeness I read on here. The car is at the dealership today and they are checking on the door hinge,,,,I know how to open a door to the hinge,,and it just wouldnt hold <period>. Its almost as if the heaviness of the door and angle of the car were just too much for it to stay open. I do hope they can fix it,,otherwise, I have been getting in real fast and making sure my leg is clear before it gets cut off,,lol,,,,Please dont get me wrong, I like the car,,its just going to take a while to get use to the sportiness of it. Im a realtor and have always had bigger more luxurious cars. But this one is fun.
Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, actually trying to help. OK, the door is broke. All cars are a compromise just like all houses. Just sounds like you desire more luxury than sport.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:01 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Quote:
It amazes me how much rudeness I read on here. The car is at the dealership today and they are checking on the door hinge,,,,I know how to open a door to the hinge,,and it just wouldnt hold . Its almost as if the heaviness of the door and angle of the car were just too much for it to stay open. I do hope they can fix it,,otherwise, I have been getting in real fast and making sure my leg is clear before it gets cut off,,lol,,,,Please dont get me wrong, I like the car,,its just going to take a while to get use to the sportiness of it. Im a realtor and have always had bigger more luxurious cars. But this one is fun.

? Did you think I was being rude because you didn't like my answer??
Old 12-29-2004, 11:04 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by MR1
Quote:
It amazes me how much rudeness I read on here. The car is at the dealership today and they are checking on the door hinge,,,,I know how to open a door to the hinge,,and it just wouldnt hold . Its almost as if the heaviness of the door and angle of the car were just too much for it to stay open. I do hope they can fix it,,otherwise, I have been getting in real fast and making sure my leg is clear before it gets cut off,,lol,,,,Please dont get me wrong, I like the car,,its just going to take a while to get use to the sportiness of it. Im a realtor and have always had bigger more luxurious cars. But this one is fun.

? Did you think I was being rude because you didn't like my answer??

No. Lets just move on. This gets tedious.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:16 AM
7th Gear

Got word back about the door on my car,,here is the quote

"Your car is finished - nothing they can do about the door. They said it was redesigned this way recently because in older versions with a heavier door and better "catch", it was causing wear and tear on the hinges that were costly to fix - yeah, right! Looks like its something you'll just have to get use to. "

Guess so.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:20 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from a 2002TLS to the 04TL and all I can say is WOW!!! I have no regrets. The new TL is a much nicer car to own and drive, and I haven't had any rattle issues whatsoever with my new car. Test drive a few from different dealerships and decide for yourself. I drove 3 before purchasing my car, and I decided to get the 6mt, navi. Of the 3 cars I drove before gettine mine, none had any rattles. I've got 4500miles so far with no problems. The new TL is far more rigid than the 2ndGen, and I think the interior is one of the nicest of any cars regardless of price.