3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$39,300 for 07 TL w/NAV (including everything)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:48 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by teng
This is the only dealer in town in Colorado. And the taxes in Colorado are outrageous high! I have no choice but to bite the bullet. I am still debating should I cancel my extended warranty ($1665) with the dealer or not.
Yes! If you are concerned about saving money.

There are a number of dealers that will sell it to you for much less. One is Ray Laks

http://www.hondacuraworld.com/
Old 07-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
This is the only dealer in town in Colorado. And the taxes in Colorado are outrageous high! I have no choice but to bite the bullet. I am still debating should I cancel my extended warranty ($1665) with the dealer or not.
Ah, you must be in the Springs. There is only one dealer there, and they are rather expensive. I am assuming you bought the car already, so I can't tell you to drive to Denver to get a better deal on the car itself.

You CAN get a better deal on the extended warranty. As a rule, I do NOT buy warranties as they are indeed just pure profit for the seller. However, on a car with as much complexity as the TL (or my RL, which is even more complex), I prefer the peace of mind of having the warranty--I bought one on my TL and I bought again for my RL. Others may disagree and that's fine. If you are planning this extravagance, at least pay less $$$ for it. You can reverse the charge on that or at least get them to drop the price. For a competitive price you can go to our site vendor, www.hondacuraworld.com , or any of several other places others will chime in to mention.

As for your posting here......don't worry about the deal if it's already done. Go enjoy your TL, it's awesome and (and don't you guys mention this on the RL side! ) I once in a while miss mine. You may have found this site too late after your purchase, but the information here for after the purchase will give you solace.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Ah, you must be in the Springs. There is only one dealer there, and they are rather expensive. I am assuming you bought the car already, so I can't tell you to drive to Denver to get a better deal on the car itself.

You CAN get a better deal on the extended warranty. As a rule, I do NOT buy warranties as they are indeed just pure profit for the seller. However, on a car with as much complexity as the TL (or my RL, which is even more complex), I prefer the peace of mind of having the warranty--I bought one on my TL and I bought again for my RL. Others may disagree and that's fine. If you are planning this extravagance, at least pay less $$$ for it. You can reverse the charge on that or at least get them to drop the price. For a competitive price you can go to our site vendor, www.hondacuraworld.com , or any of several other places others will chime in to mention.

As for your posting here......don't worry about the deal if it's already done. Go enjoy your TL, it's awesome and (and don't you guys mention this on the RL side! ) I once in a while miss mine. You may have found this site too late after your purchase, but the information here for after the purchase will give you solace.
I bought the car in Boulder. I just cancelled the extended warranty with the dealer. Did you buy your extended warranty from hondacuraworld.com?
One more question. If I buy the extended warranty from hondacuraworld.com
will my acura dealer accept it whenever I need a repair?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I bought the car in Boulder. I just cancelled the extended warranty with the dealer. Did you buy your extended warranty from hondacuraworld.com?
Yes, I bought both of mine from hondacuraworld.com.

One more question. If I buy the extended warranty from hondacuraworld.com
will my acura dealer accept it whenever I need a repair?
Absolutely.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:05 PM
10th Gear

2007 TL's are going to start going down in price because next years model will be out in a few months.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Your Garage is

39,300?!
Old 07-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Intermediate

Expensive or not, you should have took the 7 hour drive down 25 to ABQ (Montano Acura). They are our ONLY Acura dealer in New Mexico. Here's my breakdown for a 2007 TL-S, 5AT, with added pinstripe and splash guards:
Vehicle: $36,286.84
Documentation: $225.00
Sales Tax: $669.08
Grand Total: $37180.92.

BTW.. I'm not wanting to start an arguement, but in a previous post, someone had mentioned that "Documentation" charges were bogus. They are not. This charge is the local and/or state charges for Title and Registration fees. I called our NM DMV, and verified that for a NEW registration and title processing, it was exactly $225. Acura just passed the charge to me.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:05 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by aznjeep
Expensive or not, you should have took the 7 hour drive down 25 to ABQ (Montano Acura). They are our ONLY Acura dealer in New Mexico. Here's my breakdown for a 2007 TL-S, 5AT, with added pinstripe and splash guards:
Vehicle: $36,286.84
Documentation: $225.00
Sales Tax: $669.08
Grand Total: $37180.92.

BTW.. I'm not wanting to start an arguement, but in a previous post, someone had mentioned that "Documentation" charges were bogus. They are not. This charge is the local and/or state charges for Title and Registration fees. I called our NM DMV, and verified that for a NEW registration and title processing, it was exactly $225. Acura just passed the charge to me.
right but this guy is talking about a normal fully loaded TL...he should have paid thousands less.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Igor911
right but this guy is talking about a normal fully loaded TL...he should have paid thousands less.
Agreed. I had lost my train of thought there.. Yes, Teng should have paid MUCH less for a TL. I meant to point out that I got my TL-S for less than Teng paid.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by aznjeep
...snip....
You are flat wrong. Sorry to be so blunt, but you are.

State and or county fees are usually referred to as "TTL" or tax, title, license. They are always listed separately on the purchase order.

"Document Fees" or "Dealer Fees" are just added dealer profit. If you pin them down on this, they will admit it. You will get a song and dance about how it is a fee to cover the cost of preparing the contracts, blah-blah-blah, and "even I have to pay those fees if I buy a car here and I work here".

I have bought many new cars. I always strike it out on the order. If they complain, I walk. Simple as that. Funny thing is, they don't let me get very far before they say "OK". Whether they cross it off the order or add it on to the discount or trade doesn't matter to me. Just as long as it goes away.

It is actually ILLEGAL in the State of Maine for a dealer to charge document preparation fees unless they are posted on the window of the car next to the MSRP. See http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statu...Asec953-A.html

California requires dealers to include the doc fees in the advertised price of the car and they must be clearly stated up front. It is a crime in California for a dealer to represent that doc fees go to the government when they do not. Dealers there can charge you a doc fee up front but it cannot exceed $50. See California Vehicle Code Section 11713.1 http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d05/vc11713_1.htm

The "evil" in document fees is that you have already negotiated a price and compared it with several other dealers. You have agreed to a specific price for the car and the only amounts that should be added are TTL. However, the unscrupulous dealer has you sign the order.... then comes back with anywhere from $200- $1500 added back on to the price as "document fees".

If you doubt this, take the amount you paid for sales tax and divide it by the RATE of the sales tax. For instance: Sales Tax = $ 2400 divided by the rate .06 (6%) and you get $40,000 you ACTUALLY paid for the car after trade-in and all discounts.

There is NO sales tax on the registration fees, tag, title transfers. Those are taxes and you don't pay taxes on taxes. So, the truth is there in black and white when you do the math. The so-called fees are just a scam to put more profit back into the deal. They often NEED to do that to make any money because the low-ball price they gave you over the Internet or on the phone to get you to come into the showroom had no profit. It is classic bait and switch. More and more states are making it a crime.

If you are gullible enough to pay it, go right ahead. Many people do. But know that it is going into the dealerships profit margin. You should add it to the price you THINK you paid for the car because it is.

For a detailed explanation, see: http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car3.htm. It is legitimate for the dealer to pass along the state fees but these should be clearly stated.

For a compendium on the many millions of dollars worth of pending Class Action suites for this deceptive trade practice in New Jersey, see http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1099217133803

The Attorney General for the State of Alaska wrote an opinion on these document fee deceptive practices. I agree completely with his legal analysis.

"There does not appear to be any rational basis for excluding any particular item of dealer overhead or administrative cost from an advertised price. Excluding a dealer's cost of preparing documents is not substantively different than excluding any other dealer cost integral to the transaction. In reality, these charges are merely additional payments to the dealer for services that are an essential part of the deal. Excluding them from the advertised sales price has a tendency to mislead or deceive consumers as to the actual price of the vehicle.

"The document preparation fee, in particular, tends to mislead consumers. Frequently, the document fee is listed in the same small print that excludes vehicle-licensing fees from the sales price. Some dealers have even combined the two in advertisements which exclude "license and document" fees from the sale price. Based on this proximity to licensing fees in advertisements, a consumer could reasonably infer that the document fee is a payment to a government agency.

"An advertised sale price should include all charges known to the dealer except for the actual amount of payments on behalf of the consumer to third parties or additional equipment ordered by the purchaser. See e.g., Wash. Admin. Code § 308-66-152(4)(k); Conn. Agencies Regs § 42-110b-28(b)(6). Items which typically must be included in the advertised sale price are delivery or shipping charges imposed by the manufacturer or distributor of the vehicle, dealer administrative costs and overhead, dealer "handling" or "preparation" charges for servicing the vehicle prior to delivery to the consumer, and dealer document preparation costs.

"This rule does not prohibit a dealer from actually charging a document preparation fee or any other fee the dealer chooses to impose. It merely requires that such fees be included as part of the advertised price of the vehicle."
Old 07-22-2007, 01:53 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
California requires dealers to include the doc fees in the advertised price of the car and they must be clearly stated up front. It is a crime in California for a dealer to represent that doc fees go to the government when they do not. Dealers there can charge you a doc fee up front but it cannot exceed $50. See California Vehicle Code Section 11713.1 http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d05/vc11713_1.htm
woah...didn't know that...good information
Old 07-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Advanced

hey teng..

btw are you hmong?

anyways.. back to the topic.. i purchased my tl last year.. on my buyers order/purchase agreement where it says doc fees.. rite below it in the same box it also states that the fee cannot exceed 50 dollars for a motor vehicle contract.. here.. this is what it says word for word..

Documentary Fee

A document fee is not an offical fee. A documentary fee is not required by law but may be charged to buyers for handling documents and performing services relating to the closing of a sale. A documentary fee may not exceed $50 for a motor vehicle contract or a reasonable amount agreed to by the parties for a heavy commercial vehicle contract. This notice is required by law.

so of course the dealer charged me the most they could which was 50 bucks.. btw i live in texas so i'm not sure if this is just something down here. you may want to go back and look at your contract to see if it states anything similar..
Old 07-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Banned

OK. I cancelled the extended warranty and now the price I paid come down to $35,943 (OTD, CO sale taxes is around $2794) for 07 TL w/NAV.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:58 AM
User-N-Abuser

07 TL in April In NY w/ 8.625% sales tax.

Taxes alone change the price you pay by thousands depending on where you bought your car. These people that say they got great deals and you are paying way too much live in states where the sales tax is anything 0 to 600 dollars. I would have saved almost 3k on taxes if I moved to Nevada or Florida or something like that but I couldn't so this is the hand we were dealt. I bought my car for 33,807 in april. Taxes brought it up to 36,715, doc and tire fees were 45.00 and dmv was $110.00. They threw in trunk tray, wheel locks and all weather TL mats but OTD was around 36,800. Your purchase price could have been a little closer to invoice but that also depends on where you live.

Also the doc fee was exremely high and extended warranty on a brand new TL was a bit of an over kill, especially at that price.