Aftermarket Options - What's Available?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 02:43 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Aftermarket Options - What's Available?

I currently have a 2006 Acura RL on Tein Coils and 20" wheels. Was interested in getting into an RLX, but it doesn't look like there are many aftermarket options for modifying. Love the look of the VIP RLX that was showcased at FEMA, but I can't seem to find any of those products currently available online.

Are there any coils or springs available for the RLX? How about any body modification options?

The tuning community has basically disregarded this car, and maybe rightfully so, but I still believe it is a lot of car for the money.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:42 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkcyde024
The tuning community has basically disregarded this car, and maybe rightfully so, but I still believe it is a lot of car for the money.
It's a hell of a lot of car for the money, especially with the change in the yen/dollar ratio allowing Acura to provide its dealers with enough incentive to dive below the invoice, and even below the dealer holdback.

December 2013 saw very deep discounts indeed.

But with the intricacies of system interconnectivity, and the car being as new as it is, I haven't seen anybody brave enough to provide any kind of suspension improvements like the ones you're asking about.

There are vague references from Honda about having dual-stage shocks on the RLX, but nobody's really documented anywhere publicly what the valving actually is, and what the metrics are that involve switching valving. It's not electronic in any way. It seems to be an old fashioned kind of thing. But before anybody dares try to improve on the suspension we need to know more about how the OEM suspension works.

The springs are pretty tough. Combined with however the shocks are set up for low speed driving, this can make for a kind of jittery feeling that might be made worse by anybody's attempt to design a coil over package.

When you're driving your RLX in pressure situations, say 7/10ths and up, you at some point realize that the car is handling a little differently. The rear wheels seem to steer more aggressively and more quickly, and the shocks seem to work a little better with the springs.

But even then, there's a lot of body roll.

I am betting that the first thing you'll see in the aftermarket is different roll bars.

But even still, people are going to have to be careful.

In the first place, the RLX OEM roll bars are very thick, and replacing them with something thicker is going to be very expensive.

And having stuck my nose under the rear end of a Hybrid RLX, it looks like the rear roll bar design is different and people will have to undertake designing two different, expensive rear bars for the two different versions.

It's just all a lot of trouble for a very low production vehicle with a suspension system that is unique to that one model. No other Acura has this complicated multi-ball-joint, multi-link, multi-arm suspension.

Despite the excellence of the suspension and despite the car's potential, there isn't any place for it in production racing, either, and that will further limit development. I cannot imagine Hondata, RTR or HPD trying to homologate this vehicle for anything.

You never know, I guess, but I'm resolved that it's just too limited a production and too unique a vehicle (and too expensive a vehicle) to even think about any kind of extensive modifications.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:45 AM
Grandpa

I guess that I should add a, "But what the hell do I know."

:-)
Old 12-27-2013, 06:43 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts

Aftermarket shops will only release upgraded performance parts for high volume vehicles, such as the Accord and the Civic, to maximize their profits.

The RLX is a low volume vehicle, and not many aftermarket shops want to lose money by developing performance parts for it.

Also, aftermarket performance parts may risk damaging the expensive sedan, and so most RLX owners will think twice before committing themselves.

In the 4G TL forum, the Progress rear sway bar adds a lot of handling performance to the 4G TL, but it also causes damage to the subframe mounts.

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-298/torn-rear-subframe-due-24mm-rsb-i-knew-coming-901987/
Old 12-28-2013, 12:34 AM
Instructor

George - really appreciate the write up. You make a number of great points. And as Edward'TLS points out, aftermarket products are normally released for higher volume vehicles... and as we all know, the RLX is flying way under the radar. It's a shame that the RLX, and RL for that matter, haven't had the exposure that they rightfully deserve. Although, that is also why you can grab one for virtually nothing. As many others have lamented, the styling on the RLX is rather bland, but the VIP RLX definitely showcased the possibilities of this vehicle. I just wish those possibilities would become realities!
Old 12-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Instructor

Looks like a GS 350 F-Sport is in my future
Old 12-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ That would be a great vehicle to own that's for sure. I am waiting to see what the TLX will provide but I am thinking that I'll end up jumping ship too. I would like not having to do so though....we'll see.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Grandpa

George - really appreciate the write up. You make a number of great points.
After I typed what I did, I remembered that Hondata and HPD joined forces for a short while to campaign a 4G TL 6-6. I think it was mostly an exercise for their personal corporate design sake, however, and I cannot recall that it ever won a Honda Challenge race.

HPD sponsored the entire series in 2013, and I think they're doing it again for 2014. I don't know what they get out of it, though, because we're still advertising to people who are already convinced of the performance efficacy of Honda and Acura!
Old 12-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Grandpa

Almost a year later, with the rollout of the "New Legend" in the JDM, we see items for the 5G Legend from Honda Access (Modulo) and Mugen.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
If the suspension issue does not go away for everyone then maybe Honda can give each of us a free Mugen suspension upgrade or at least a steep discount. Now that would be true service.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Wink Pic

Not sure where the tires came from but they look OK; the grille, however, I am not a fan of:

Old 12-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
That grille:
Old 12-22-2014, 05:03 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
I give up. What is that car?
Old 12-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Not sure where the tires came from but they look OK...
Those wheels look familiar. Wife had a '10 MDX Tech before we got the RLX. I'll guess '10 - '13 MDX Advance as the origin of the wheels. ZDX Advance might have had them as well.