What's to come...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 11:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
What's to come...

I know this is the concept drawings for what became the 2015 Accord. But I can't help and look at it and feel the emotion that the RLX comes close to invoking. Regal, classy, sexy, sporty, elegant.

The difference for me in this pic versus the RLX is the design in the pic has a level of refinement in the design that goes above the RLX. Every curve, angle, edge, line, etc is harmonious in every way. Nothing out of proportion or mediocre looking. Nary an element of the design that leaves you going "if only they'd...this or that". Just like the TLX prototype, which in my eyes was PERFECT in every way. the design in the pic above screams "we're not F'ing around", whereby the RLX is trying to say the same thing, just a big muffled and unclear...

IMO the 2015 Accord doesn't carry any of the emotion of this picture, but I feel like the RLX came close. Now if they could just refine it some more...they might finally have themselves a real hit.

Last edited by holografique; 04-25-2015 at 11:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 12:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Concept pictures can evoke emotion, passion, desire... but don't have to stand the test of practicality and function.

Sure they start with a sexy picture. Once the accountants, lawyers and CAFE compliance department get done with changing the design for various safety, cost cutting and necessary fuel economy criteria, the look changes dramatically. Then somebody builds a model and sits in it and realizes that changes are necessary for sightlines, interior "people" space, cargo hauling etc and more changes occur. Then they build one and crash test it and more changes are made. Then production engineers get involved and point out what is hard to produce on the line and what is hard to get parts for and more changes are made. Then the marketing department looks at it and mentions that the RLX's primary target market is middle aged professionals usually with a Honda or Acura vehicle in their past, so changes are made to assure that the RLX "looks like an Acura/Honda" product which tend to be relatively conservative in nature and so more changes are made. The build a few more and realize that the ride is suffering and those sexy 22 inch wheels are gone. Finally, they get to the production version which is debuted to a chorus of "meh" from the media but simultaneously appreciated and even adored by the loyal primary target market it was aimed at.

I absolutely agree with holographique's suggestion that the RLX could get sexier skin the next go round, but I will repeat what I have said in the past...
The RLX was designed from the inside out. The interior space, sightlines, ergonomics and overall "feel" of the interior were of primary importance in designing the RLX while the exterior was shaped primarily by the needs of the interior and aerodynamic flow to maximize fuel economy. Throw in the familial, conservative Honda styling cues and the final exterior was born with only a slight resemblance to the initial concept drawing.

To be honest, it works for me... I like the look of the RLX as is.
The following 3 users liked this post by hondamore:
holografique (04-27-2015), Limelight (04-26-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 03:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I like the look of the RLX as is, as well, but I sure wouldn't turn down a sexier skin, either. I hope the next RLX is lustworthy to look at.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
holografique (04-27-2015), MisterZDX (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 06:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
Concept pictures can evoke emotion, passion, desire... but don't have to stand the test of practicality and function.

Sure they start with a sexy picture. Once the accountants, lawyers and CAFE compliance department get done with changing the design for various safety, cost cutting and necessary fuel economy criteria, the look changes dramatically. Then somebody builds a model and sits in it and realizes that changes are necessary for sightlines, interior "people" space, cargo hauling etc and more changes occur. Then they build one and crash test it and more changes are made. Then production engineers get involved and point out what is hard to produce on the line and what is hard to get parts for and more changes are made. Then the marketing department looks at it and mentions that the RLX's primary target market is middle aged professionals usually with a Honda or Acura vehicle in their past, so changes are made to assure that the RLX "looks like an Acura/Honda" product which tend to be relatively conservative in nature and so more changes are made. The build a few more and realize that the ride is suffering and those sexy 22 inch wheels are gone. Finally, they get to the production version which is debuted to a chorus of "meh" from the media but simultaneously appreciated and even adored by the loyal primary target market it was aimed at.

I absolutely agree with holographique's suggestion that the RLX could get sexier skin the next go round, but I will repeat what I have said in the past...
The RLX was designed from the inside out. The interior space, sightlines, ergonomics and overall "feel" of the interior were of primary importance in designing the RLX while the exterior was shaped primarily by the needs of the interior and aerodynamic flow to maximize fuel economy. Throw in the familial, conservative Honda styling cues and the final exterior was born with only a slight resemblance to the initial concept drawing.

Extremely well written! You nailed it! If designing a car was only about performance and visuals we would all be driving different cars today. However design has to accommodate so many factors, last of which is customer "wants", it is amazing anything gets built by any car company to look like anything other than a box. Subjective opinion can range from "it looks fantastic" to "too conservative and boring for my tastes". For Acura or any manufacturer to come out of the design process with something anyone wants to buy is nothing short of a "hat trick". Click on this link for details on the RLX prior to its debut: Honda and Acura Fans: Production ready drawings of the 2013 Acura RLX
Old 04-26-2015, 06:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by holografique

I know this is the concept drawings for what became the 2015 Accord. But I can't help and look at it and feel the emotion that the RLX comes close to invoking. Regal, classy, sexy, sporty, elegant.

The difference for me in this pic versus the RLX is the design in the pic has a level of refinement in the design that goes above the RLX. Every curve, angle, edge, line, etc is harmonious in every way. Nothing out of proportion or mediocre looking. Nary an element of the design that leaves you going "if only they'd...this or that". Just like the TLX prototype, which in my eyes was PERFECT in every way. the design in the pic above screams "we're not F'ing around", whereby the RLX is trying to say the same thing, just a big muffled and unclear...

IMO the 2015 Accord doesn't carry any of the emotion of this picture, but I feel like the RLX came close. Now if they could just refine it some more...they might finally have themselves a real hit.
This is what I saw at the NY Auto Show which started me on my journey to get this car. Now it is in my garage.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Ugh, those concept wheels. Production wheels were much better.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Ugh, those concept wheels. Production wheels were much better.
Tomato-Tomata. I think they look cool just because they are different, but can you imagine the ride complaints with 21 inch wheels assuming that is what those are? How about if we had the wheels from the show car of the TLX?
Old 04-26-2015, 08:12 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore

Excellent post. I enjoyed reading this!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:51 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
[QUOTE=holografique;15416434]

At this point we might do well to remind the honorable gentleman that even the ZDX looked good in concept drawings.

:-)
Old 04-26-2015, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Man, the Accord concept drawing is sexy. Too bad that couldn't follow into production. What made it into production on the Accord is still very good-looking, though. I'd drive an Accord proud that I'm not driving a penalty-mobile.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
I like the look of the RLX as is, as well, but I sure wouldn't turn down a sexier skin, either. I hope the next RLX is lustworthy to look at.
And it shouldn't even take much to achieve this. A few minor tweaks here and there would definitely do the trick. The front end is gorgeous as is, but could stand to be a little more aggressive. The side profile definitely could use some help. The back could use a little updating too and not look so much like a Chvey Cruze.
holografique (04-27-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 03:18 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Man, the Accord concept drawing is sexy. Too bad that couldn't follow into production. What made it into production on the Accord is still very good-looking, though. I'd drive an Accord proud that I'm not driving a penalty-mobile.
I'm highly anticipating what Honda will do to the Accord during this year's mid model refresh. I wonder will they just make minor changes or go all out like Toyota did with the Camry refresh. In true Honda fashion, they've been so tight lipped but there should be an announcement soon as the refreshed Accord goes on sale later this year. The Accord Touring may very well be my next vehicle.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

The Camry refresh uglified the car. YUCK! Of course, IMHO and YMMV.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have always been a supporter of the RLX's exterior design and have never had any real complaints about it. So please do not take my post as anything more than an observation of how Honda/Acura have a really bad habit of coming up with amazing concept drawings (and even real prototypes...eg ILX prototype, TLX prototype) that invoke a strong emotional feeling, only to water down the final designs with a more utilitarian "family" feel to their vehicles. Yes they got hammered when they tried to be "striking" with the 4G TL design, but Im not going to beat that dead horse.

I'm also not really buying the whole "CAFE" thing as an excuse. IMO there are plenty of examples from the "other" manf. of current (and past) executed final designs that are obviously meeting those standards, yet they carry much more charisma, passion and excitement in the exterior design. The Audi A5, the E550 and S550 Coupes, the new RC 350, the 4 and 6 series BMW are IMO all great examples of what I'm talking about. Now If you look at that Accord concept picture and compare it to the above "real" cars that exist, you can see how the Accord concept design is not soo outlandish and stands up extremely well against the other designs. The German designs are real, not concepts, showing its absolutely possibly to translate these designs into reality. Yet Honda/Acura just chose NOT to execute on it. They water it down....

In my eyes, that Honda Accord concept drawing invokes the same visceral excitement that any of those "real" german cars above do. The difference being they are real, not drawings...

We all love the RLX, but do not forget we are in the MINORITY. The RLX design was NOT well received in the majority. What its been most well received for is its interior design, its technology, and its performance. The exterior design is nice, but it definitely has room to be improved. And just to show how much interior design is important to me, that's the one reason I've decided to exclude the E400/E550 coupe from my list, the exterior is amazing, exactly what I want, but the interior is horrible. So it's a no go for me.

Last edited by holografique; 04-27-2015 at 12:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
bigtymerdan (04-27-2015), hondamore (04-27-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 08:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
How about if we had the wheels from the show car of the TLX?
I swear if Acura made those 19" TLX prototype wheels available, I'd be first in line. I can just imagine how hot they'd look on the RLX.

Timmy? Any chance of a photoshop job for us RLX'ers?
RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by holografique
I swear if Acura made those 19" TLX prototype wheels available, I'd be first in line. I can just imagine how hot they'd look on the RLX.

Timmy? Any chance of a photoshop job for us RLX'ers?
That would be bananas! It would also make it a cinch to clean the inside of the wheels.