Old 07-24-2014, 11:13 AM
08-RL-TECH-Platinum Frost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does this mean for the AWD RLX

I know there is some similar technology

http://www.carthrottle.com/the-honda...e-nurburgring/
Old 07-24-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^you're reaching for something that might or might not be there.

we dont even know why the NSX got grilled in a carbeque
Old 07-24-2014, 11:20 AM
08-RL-TECH-Platinum Frost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not reaching for anything - I am a fan of the RLX, patiently waiting for the AWD Hybrid
Old 07-24-2014, 11:21 AM

^so, whats waiting have to do with the nsx getting charred?

lol.that's called reaching...

we'll have to wait for the engineers to break down the NSX to find out what happened to the NSX.

which, may or may not relate to the RLX.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:22 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Hmmm ... I have to agree it's a bit premature to blame it on the drive tech. It could be anything from a fuel line leak to an electrical fire.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Unhappy Batteries

Over the years, many sportscar prototypes have been claimed by fires during Nurburgring test sessions, that list famously including the Audi R8 V10 back in 2008 and the Nissan GT-R Spec-V in April this year. Yesterday, during only the 2nd day of track testing, Honda's prototype for the 2015 Acura NSX was engulfed in a ball of flames that originated in the rear engine bay.

Those early pictures we showed you were taken right as track officials had arrived on scene and show the NSX almost completely destroyed. However, 1 of our photographers was stationed near the area where the prototype and was able to see the incident from a much earlier point in time, right as the 1st flames appeared.

The flames spread very easily because of the volatile nature of the wrap and the materials used to make the NSX. The exact cause of the incident is unknown right now, but the engine powering this car is a high-output twin-turbo V6 that's never been used in a production car before. The fuel or oil systems could have easily developed a leak due to the extreme stresses of track testing. 1 squirt of fuel over the hot exhaust and the whole car can be totaled like this.

Onlookers on the sidelines of the track say they heard 2 massive explosions during the fire. They were caused by 2 high-voltage batteries located in the rear of the car for better weight distribution. Both the test drivers and the fire crew were lucky enough not to be affected by the blast.

The 2nd-generation NSX needs those massive batteries because it's a hybrid sportscar with a tri-motor setup. 2 electric motors are located at the front, each powering a wheel, and there's a 3rd motor coupled with the V6 engine at the back.

So should we buy into the idea that Honda is don't a bad job? No, not really. The car isn't even ready yet, but Porsche had fire problems with its 911 GT3 after it went into production, having to recall over 700 units for a complete engine swap.

Last edited by TSX69; 07-25-2014 at 09:38 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by TSX69:
2011TL (07-25-2014), Acura_Dude (07-25-2014), hondamore (07-25-2014), hotshotta02 (07-25-2014), TampaRLX-SH (07-25-2014), Terragotti (07-25-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Unless they plan on pushing this tech down to the TLX for volume I do not see how the recoup all this R&D. Also the delays on the RLX side are a joke, Acura needs to move on already.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:39 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
^^^^^

Starting from day 1, the creation of the low-volume NSX is never about making money.

The flagship "supercar" is there to showcase Acura's high tech heritage, and to give a (much-needed) boost in brand image and brand recognition.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Although I do not see a need to jump ship on the Sport Hybrid Technology as fires have occurred in prototype tests before (in some cases in the production releases of some brands) it concerns me that this incident is the delay cause on the SH RLX.

It seems to me the cart got before the horse. The SH RLX was to first introduce this technology for 'pedestrian' use. And now holding back on the SH RLX after the commercial advertising, and website placeholder seem to only underscore the rollout was rushed and poorly managed. This is the point that disappoints me most. As long as we waited for the RL replacement, these issues should have been resolved before announcing the SH RLX release. Clearly Acura has been caught with their knickers around the ankles.

We can all speculate and perhaps the performance levels the SH system is pushed to with the NSX is not likely an issue for the RLX...yet there seems to be enough a link to make me wary.

In the past I would blindly accept Honda strategy would solve the issue with the err on the side of caution. But with the issues of late I wonder if they have lost some of that conservative caution in attempt to kick up Acura's flailing behavior of the last few years.

watching,,,,,waiting,,,,,and noticing cracks in the armor. If Honda and Acura were smart, they would get ahead of this and find an encouraging means to advise what the deal is and what they are doing to mitigate it. That would (for me at least) boost confidence that it is an issue being managed by the Honda engineering we have grown to trust - trumping this silence I am growing to distrust.
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I am unconvinced this crash means anything for the RLX hybrid.

At least the NSX prototype is out on the tracks being pushed far above anything we mere mortals can do to it. The RLX hybrid......no tests, no spy pix, no nothing since the press drives in December.

I, personally, am resigned to waiting until the 2016 model year for the sport hybrid. With Acura's luck, by then, BMW or Mercedes will push similar tech in the 5 or the E, and it will be game over for Acura in the mid-luxury hybrid space. And it will be too bad, because this tech has so much potential.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Starting from day 1, the creation of the low-volume NSX is never about making money.

The flagship "supercar" is there to showcase Acura's high tech heritage, and to give a (much-needed) boost in brand image and brand recognition.
True, but betting on the tech it uses and keeps delaying it and the RLX is about money. The NSX should be about a halo car that brings people to Acura. It can not do that if it never shows up. And yes I know it is not due yet, but clearly the tech they are using has delayed the RLX. And while the NSX was not about money the cost of the tech they are using for it, if they never re-use that tech in more volume sales models is a waste of R&D. Most of the tech in Halo cars does make its way down eventually.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Imagine an MDX with the hybrid system - wicked handling and 30 mpg in the city - they could sell a couple of billion dollars worth every year. The hybrid tech is the direction all manufacturers are going to cope with increasing CAFE numbers, so the R&D definitely isn't being wasted. Developing the V10 and then shelving it altogether was a waste of R&D money. Performance Hybrid development certainly is not.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:28 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
True, but betting on the tech it uses and keeps delaying it and the RLX is about money. The NSX should be about a halo car that brings people to Acura. It can not do that if it never shows up. And yes I know it is not due yet, but clearly the tech they are using has delayed the RLX. And while the NSX was not about money the cost of the tech they are using for it, if they never re-use that tech in more volume sales models is a waste of R&D. Most of the tech in Halo cars does make its way down eventually.
Although I agree with you, but Honda is thinking otherwise.

History of the 1G NSX revealed that some state-of-the-art auto tech will be reserved exclusively only to be used on the flagship/halo "supercar" and on nothing else, such as the all-aluminum body, the mid-engine RWD platform, and the DOHC C30A-V6/C32B-V6, etc.

The above tech never ever make their way down to any other lesser models.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hondamore
Imagine an MDX with the hybrid system - wicked handling and 30 mpg in the city - they could sell a couple of billion dollars worth every year. The hybrid tech is the direction all manufacturers are going to cope with increasing CAFE numbers, so the R&D definitely isn't being wasted. Developing the V10 and then shelving it altogether was a waste of R&D money. Performance Hybrid development certainly is not.
I can imagine that, but with a traditional hybrid, not this expensive SH version. Maybe Honda forecasts the SH hybrid tech to get substantially less expensive, but I am not sure I see it.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:26 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I'm surprised that if you are driving a prototype car at the edge of its performance that you don't have a fire extinguisher on board. They pulled the car over, got out, and if they could have got it right there maybe they could have stopped it before it got engulfed in flames.

I'm sure they'll find the root cause of the fire and fix it and keep pressing on. Too much invested in this car to do anything else.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
[He is] reaching for something that might or might not be there.
The way the fire broke out, the way the fire consumed the car, and track evidence from the photos all point to a major component failure...like a turbo melting down under extreme testing, or a line bursting under full pressure, something like that.

I believe that what the original poster is thinking about is the rumors about lines of code that certain cars have in common, including the NSX race car, the RLX SH-AWD and the TLX GT, all of which had suspicious crashes under extreme testing. There is an active industry rumor that they went back to the drawing board to change how active vectoring worked in the newest SH-AWD, whether or not it involved electric motors.

However, the photos of the preproduction NSX are clearly indicative of a completely different kind of problem.

IMHO, of course.

And what the hell do I know.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by George Knighton
The way the fire broke out, the way the fire consumed the car, and track evidence from the photos all point to a major component failure...like a turbo melting down under extreme testing, or a line bursting under full pressure, something like that.

I believe that what the original poster is thinking about is the rumors about lines of code that certain cars have in common, including the NSX race car, the RLX SH-AWD and the TLX GT, all of which had suspicious crashes under extreme testing. There is an active industry rumor that they went back to the drawing board to change how active vectoring worked in the newest SH-AWD, whether or not it involved electric motors.

However, the photos of the preproduction NSX are clearly indicative of a completely different kind of problem.

IMHO, of course.

And what the hell do I know.
lol we dont know what caused the fire in the NSX. we can speculate all day, but until Acura comes out and says; HEY, this is what happened...
we're all just guessing.

as of now, there is absolutely no correlation between this fire and the push back of the RLX.

just was trying to explain to the OP that you cant base a fire on a pre-production super car to that of the RLX, even tho they are both vapor cars.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by justnspace
lol we dont know what caused the fire in the NSX.
Nope. Of course not.

However, the evidence from the photos tends to point to an issue very different from the issue that is being researched relative to the crashes of the NSX racing platform, the TLX GT and the RLX SH-AWD.

:-)

The original poster is not alone in jumping to a conclusion. A lot of people are worried about the crashes of the next generation SH-AWD cars, and why it is happening.

At least it's happening in the prototype and preproduction tests, and they're not letting them get into the hands of the public, as annoying as we all find these delays!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:04 AM

again, its very silly to jump to conclusions without facts.

yes, we all want to know why and what caused the fire.

might as well throw this blanket over the fire and chalk it up to the hybrid motors. ya know since it shares the same technology as the RLX

Old 07-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Grandpa

I don't understand why you're saying what you're saying, if you're basing it on what I said.

But of course you're free to say anything you want.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:15 AM

im agreeing with you.

i just wanted to use the silly pictures
Old 07-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Grandpa

Oh. :-)