Sport Hybrid "beta tester" report: Winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015 | 08:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

We got a snow squall today and although I was not trying to horse around (however tempting in a parking lot), I was suprised to find that the tail end snapped around on me unexpectedly (with the VSA on) at 15-20 mph with a light throttle when I shifted from all electric to electric/gas propulsion. Maybe there was hidden ice underneath the snow? I had a SH-AWD before and know how that would have responded in the same situation. WTF????? Weird right?
Old 01-07-2015 | 09:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
We got a snow squall today and although I was not trying to horse around (however tempting in a parking lot), I was suprised to find that the tail end snapped around on me unexpectedly (with the VSA on) at 15-20 mph with a light throttle when I shifted from all electric to electric/gas propulsion. Maybe there was hidden ice underneath the snow? I had a SH-AWD before and know how that would have responded in the same situation. WTF????? Weird right?
See the thread on replicated globe maneuver. Weird=yes. Let us know if same.
Old 01-07-2015 | 09:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zoommer
See the thread on replicated globe maneuver. Weird=yes. Let us know if same.

That makes sense. I think that because the car makes so much immediate torque and it gets multiplied when the gas engine fires up, that it disturbed the traction balance at the very moment I was going 5 mph too fast for the conditions. Luckily the curb was a long way away and there were no parked cars nearby. That would suck to wreck the car within 7 days of purchase, and I was not trying to be stupid with it. I will experiment in a large empty parking lot when it snows again to see how it handles different speeds and throttle inputs. This way I won't be surprised like I was today. Thank you for the recomendation to look at the other thread. Good call.
Old 01-08-2015 | 08:24 AM
Racer

That makes sense. I think that because the car makes so much immediate torque and it gets multiplied when the gas engine fires up, that it disturbed the traction balance at the very moment I was going 5 mph too fast for the conditions. Luckily the curb was a long way away and there were no parked cars nearby. That would suck to wreck the car within 7 days of purchase, and I was not trying to be stupid with it. I will experiment in a large empty parking lot when it snows again to see how it handles different speeds and throttle inputs. This way I won't be surprised like I was today. Thank you for the recomendation to look at the other thread. Good call.
Glad to be of help. This particular forum on the Sports Hybrid is pretty active and people share a lot of useful information. Thanks for you tips and questions. On this particular issue of the rear end braking I believe it is (1) torque, (2) new SH AWD design (and requiring tuning), (3) tires. With better tires (stickier) you will delay the behavior you experienced and I induced and therefore limit any dangerous events.

But Acura also needs to look at how the rear wheels and front wheels interact with each other during turns where the rear end is moving forward and out relative to the front. This requires some tuning of the algorithms that manage the SH AWD.

I have found that the Sports mode reduces this particular strange behavior significantly. This makes me believe that the distribution of power and the "onset" is the reason the rear end brakes away during turns.
Old 01-08-2015 | 08:45 AM
Grandpa

But Acura also needs to look at how the rear wheels and front wheels interact with each other during turns where the rear end is moving forward and out relative to the front. This requires some tuning....
I think they're listening, if that helps any.
Old 01-08-2015 | 11:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Glad to be of help. This particular forum on the Sports Hybrid is pretty active and people share a lot of useful information. Thanks for you tips and questions. On this particular issue of the rear end braking I believe it is (1) torque, (2) new SH AWD design (and requiring tuning), (3) tires. With better tires (stickier) you will delay the behavior you experienced and I induced and therefore limit any dangerous events.

But Acura also needs to look at how the rear wheels and front wheels interact with each other during turns where the rear end is moving forward and out relative to the front. This requires some tuning of the algorithms that manage the SH AWD.

I have found that the Sports mode reduces this particular strange behavior significantly. This makes me believe that the distribution of power and the "onset" is the reason the rear end brakes away during turns.

I will experiment again when it snows which could be several times over the next couple of weeks. What bothered me was action that was not intended at reasonable parking lot speeds. I'm not 18 trying to do dumb things. I was just turning into my local grocery store parking lot.

One item of potential interest, I selected the g-meter reading on my Android app to see how the car handled -1 degree pavement in a turn. It showed a max of .93 g in the cold! Does that sound right. Granted I was stepping on it where nobody was around, and it did not feel as if it was near the limit. It is far more agile than I expected for a car of this size and mass. It will be interesting to see what happens in the spring heading into the same turn when it is warmer.
Old 01-08-2015 | 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Pics please of the grommets to look at. Put them in the wind noise thread. Thanks! To post an image, just host it on a photo-sharing site, then link to it using [IMG]url of picture[/IMG].

For example (and back on topic), my picture from this morning:

....and yup, the car started outside in this weather, no problems. I am beta-testing in extreme winter conditions this week....
The following users liked this post:
SimpsonTide985 (01-11-2015)
Old 01-08-2015 | 02:49 PM
Pro

Thanks Bob.....glad to know that the car starts so well in the cold. I am interesting in learning how the cold impacts the car's handling, if at all. I have been told that the cold weather makes the batteries less efficient so the MPG is lower but the question i am interested does the cold weather impact how the car handles?? A separate question is how the car handles slippery surfaces but what has been previously posted seem to say "pretty well" on that issue.

My last question is why does an intelligent, apparently talented guy like you live somewhere that it is -2 degrees?
Old 01-08-2015 | 07:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
Thanks Bob.....glad to know that the car starts so well in the cold. I am interesting in learning how the cold impacts the car's handling, if at all. I have been told that the cold weather makes the batteries less efficient so the MPG is lower but the question i am interested does the cold weather impact how the car handles?? A separate question is how the car handles slippery surfaces but what has been previously posted seem to say "pretty well" on that issue.

My last question is why does an intelligent, apparently talented guy like you live somewhere that it is -2 degrees?
I have not experienced any degradation in the mpg based on the cold. I did notice that the engine stays running longer when the heat is running hard, so with that in mind I would expect mpg to be less. It has not so far in my short time with the car, although it would be logical to expect it.

BTW it was -1 where I am this morning. I think it is an emergency condition, but then again for those in Canada, they must be laughing at us for whining about the cold. -1 is short sleeve weather for them.
Old 01-10-2015 | 07:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
Thanks Bob.....glad to know that the car starts so well in the cold. I am interesting in learning how the cold impacts the car's handling, if at all. I have been told that the cold weather makes the batteries less efficient so the MPG is lower but the question i am interested does the cold weather impact how the car handles?? A separate question is how the car handles slippery surfaces but what has been previously posted seem to say "pretty well" on that issue. My last question is why does an intelligent, apparently talented guy like you live somewhere that it is -2 degrees?
Car handles the same way in low temps as in warmer weather. Very predictable in my inexpert hands.

I still live in Cleveland because of dear spouse, who wishes never to leave. Been trying to convince her for 20 years and that's an argument I am doomed to lose. Oh well, happy wife, happy (albeit FREEZING half the year) life.

I have not experienced any degradation in the mpg based on the cold.
Hmm. Then that leaves suspect local ethanolized winter blend or an engine issue as the primary issues with my mileage, because my fuel economy has not improved. My fuel economy continues to be 25-30% less than advertised, especially in the cold. The cold (and therefore longer engine running) I would think is a factor. One more thing to have the service advisers look at when in bring my car in for service soon. I sorely wish there was a service station serving pure fuel around here so I could test.
Old 01-10-2015 | 08:56 AM
Grandpa

My average MPG continues to creep downwards in the cold weather. I've also unfortunately had to make a lot of short trips recently.
Old 01-11-2015 | 02:51 PM
10th Gear

It's been known for a while now that during the winter season, Hybrids tend to worsen quite a bit in their fuel economy. I wonder if anyone has done an annual calculation to estimate how this impact affects actual fuel economy in those climates with extreme winters.
Old 01-11-2015 | 03:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SimpsonTide985
I wonder if anyone has done an annual calculation to estimate how this impact affects actual fuel economy in those climates with extreme winters.
Can't speak for Sports Hybrid from Acura. For a Toyota Hybrid the impact in cold weather, for my SUV, is equivalent to about 2 mpg. This is based on 7 years of experience and 90,000 mile observation.
Old 01-11-2015 | 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SimpsonTide985
It's been known for a while now that during the winter season, Hybrids tend to worsen quite a bit in their fuel economy. I wonder if anyone has done an annual calculation to estimate how this impact affects actual fuel economy in those climates with extreme winters.
I keep track of mileage in all my cars, so will have that calculation.

This is one more reason that I eagerly anticipate spring.
Old 01-11-2015 | 05:30 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ You and I both.....but for different reasons *lol* I can't wait to get the warmth back!
Old 01-21-2015 | 05:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Did some more snow driving today, some of it in whiteout conditions. No pix as I was practicing safe driving. We got 2 inches of snow during rush hour this morning. Car goes like a champ in those conditions. I even got 26 mpg on my morning commute.

CMBS sensor was occluded during my drive. When this happens, a message indicating such appears in the MID (not in the HUD just a red "i" there). Good thing I exercised winter safe driving by staying further behind the car in front of me. Next time, I'll take a pic when I feel safe doing so while driving.

Still trying to witness the elusive snow mode on the Power Distribution display. My particular white whale in this car....

The only thing better for this car in winter driving would be winter tires.
Old 01-21-2015 | 05:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Still trying to witness the elusive snow mode on the Power Distribution display. My particular white whale in this car....
Bob - What is "snow mode" that would show up on the display? We haven't gotten much snow in New England yet this winter, so I have done far less winter driving in my Hybrid than I expected. You guys may have intercepted all our snow and ice!
Old 01-21-2015 | 06:06 PM
Racer

Here is a potential repeat. Good information. Tires are an issue. Also, the rear moving--I believe--is a instant torque issue. Also the issue of software reflash is brought up.

Winter just got weird: Acura RLX Sport Hybrid grips on all fours electrically, sometimes

By MICHAEL CLARK
Published December 17, 2014 - 3:00pm
Last Updated December 17, 2014 - 3:30pm

Comments

The Acura RLX Sport Hybrid. (Michael Clark)

As winter begins to close it’s grip around our scarf-covered necks, it’s only natural that the next vehicle in your driveway could be carrying an all-wheel drive spine beneath the shiny bits.
More luxury manufacturers are starting to realize that this is the only way to fly, such as Mercedes-Benz, which is throwing 4MATIC badges on its rear deck lids as fast as the badge slicer can spit them out.
The challenge for any manufacturer is how to place all of these pieces beneath the vehicle in a tidy, cost-effective fashion. Propeller shafts, viscous couplings, and taking a sledgehammer to the floorboards for fitment costs money.
It probably costs less, if you don’t need to use mechanical connections to make it all work.
The Acura RLX Sport Hybrid is one such animal, using electric motors to drive the rear wheel portions of Acura’s Super Handling All-Wheel Drive.
This week, I had the chance to put this flagship Acura through its paces, wearing Michelin X-Ice Xi3 winter tires.
Conditions ran the gambit, from snow packed roads, to plenty of icy intersections, and fresh flake dustings.
Let’s start with the shoes. The nicest way I can say this is that Michelin has apparently done a New Coke to the mixture that is an X-Ice winter tire.
Owner reviews on the X-Ice Xi3 are mixed, with plenty of the thumb’s down complaints sounding very familiar.
The tires seem to lose traction much quicker than the previous X-Ice compounds.
The traction losses are particularly evident under acceleration, even with the most lukewarm of throttle aggression.
Michelin states that the X-Ice Xi3 stops 10 per cent faster on ice than its competitors, and I would tend to agree with that performance aspect. The downside is everything else that you’ll be asking these tires to do.
The way that the rear of the RLX Sport Hybrid gets loose when making a turn onto a side street takes me back to the slip-and-glide sensation of the family ’74 Pontiac Catalina.
If the Michelin intention was for you to not have anything approaching winter driving confidence, then mission accomplished.
As RLX trims go, the Sport Hybrid is the most potent, with 377 horsepower, and 341 lb-ft of torque. These are the combined numbers, which include a 3.5-litre V6, a front electric motor, and twin electric motors in the rear.
I’m a big fan of the eight-speed dual clutch transmission in the new TLX, and the seven-speed unit in the RLX Sport Hybrid gives similar smiles, with Sequential SportShift paddles on the steering wheel.
The console-mount electronic gear selector appears to be borrowed from the TLX bin, though my confusion with the set-up has more to do with the fact that the shifter footprint is practically identical in floorspace to that of a typical shifter array.
The RLX Sport Hybrid is the only RLX with Super Handling All-Wheel Drive, (SH-AWD) which replaces the standard Precision All-Wheel Steer on lesser trims.
If this electro-all-wheel drive system is the shape of things to come for the next Acura NSX, my recommend would be for a software flash, and right soon.
The Michelin skins should certainly share some of the blame here, but let’s present the following traction scenario.
In the Normal driving mode, AKA Non-Sport, the RLX Sport Hybrid will experience plenty of electric-only events. If you employ the butterfly kisses effect on the throttle, you can actually get respectably close to the 7.7 litres per 100 kilometres projection.
Drive it like you mean it, and it’s more like 10.8L/100 km.
As you’re enjoying your electrification, you begin to notice something strange about your gentle take-offs at snowy intersections.
Why is the back end sliding out like a rear-wheel drive car? The reason is that the rear electric motors are providing the propulsion in full electric eco-savvy mode, with no indication of assistance from the front-drive array, as shown by the powertrain monitors.
Throw in some slippery Michelin’s, and it’s 1974 all over again. If you push the throttle hard enough, the front portion of the powertrain wakes up, providing traction assist, though the rear slippage still occurs.
The workaround is putting the RLX Sport Hybrid into Sport mode, which applies more traction involvement from the front-drive components.
Once you’re moving, you’ll want to turn that Sport mode to off, as the shift points take the RPMS to aural levels that are sure to attract the attention of the vehicles next to you.
Inside, the RLX Sport Hybrid does get the expected winter warmers, such as front/rear heated seats, and heated steering wheel.
The wheel is one of the toastiest tested to date, though the seats could benefit from faster warm-up technology improvements, as seen on newer Nissan products.
The upstairs/downstairs information and Navi screens are still looking dated, and somewhat clunky to operate.
I do like the Sport Hybrid’s head-up display, which can incorporate the powertrain monitor into its screen projection.
As Acura interiors go, this is the trim that gets what luxury is all about, with fine leathers, stitchwork, and unique woodgrain touches.
It's not unfinished, as some luxury marques would have you believe; it’s simply the classy interpretation of understated.
I would like to see a proper fan speed switch, instead of touch-screen manipulation.
For Canadian winters, the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid is in need of a proper Snow traction mode switch, somewhere in the new gear selector array, which would fire a software program that would wake up the front-drive components more quickly.
The immediate downside would occur with the economy, with less electric/hybrid events.
I’d rather use a little more fuel with the RLX Sport Hybrid, to assist with the concerning traction losses.
The RLX starts at an MSRP of $49,990, with the RLX Sport Hybrid topping the range, at $69,990. The highest level of front-drive for the RLX is the Elite trim, priced at $62,190.
I would be more inclined to consider the RLX Tech trim, at $55,990. The Tech includes the upgraded Milano leather, Navi, the full heated steering wheel and seat array, plus a Blind Spot Information system.
The Tech also gives you a proper 423-litre trunk, versus the Sport Hybrid’s puny 328. The problem with the spend is the competition from within.
A new 2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite tops out at $47,490, and that SH-AWD is not shod with electric motors to get the traction job done. One should also consider a TLX or an RLX as a front driver, especially with the Precision All-Wheel Steer.
It’s the best behaviour modifier for a front-drive anything on the market.
Throw in some stickier winters, and you might even thick you have all-wheel drive.
Old 01-21-2015 | 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fsmith
Bob - What is "snow mode" that would show up on the display? We haven't gotten much snow in New England yet this winter, so I have done far less winter driving in my Hybrid than I expected. You guys may have intercepted all our snow and ice!
Go to 5:10 in this video for a demo: Acura Video Player

The video is one of a series in the "20 days of RLX" email thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ys-rlx-920755/

Go see the videos, they were part of the marketing for the Sport Hybrid before it was delayed for months.

Zoomer, I hadn't read that review. I had slippage on ice once earlier this week, and the rear stepped out a wee bit. I pressed the throttle a wee bit more and the front wheels gained traction as I was doing the standard "CPR" maneuver. Good thing I've done HPDEs....and have lived in snow country for 25 years....those really helped.

Last edited by neuronbob; 01-21-2015 at 06:23 PM.
fsmith (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015 | 06:43 PM
Pro

The video is one of a series in the "20 days of RLX" email thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ys-rlx-920755/

Go see the videos, they were part of the marketing for the Sport Hybrid before it was delayed for months.
Right, thanks. I had seen that video but had forgotten that piece at the end about snow and throttle and VSA. I watched all the videos "back in the day" when my dealer sent them to me while awaiting the car! I also had not seen the Michael Clark review. It's a little scary but I am actually looking forward to some snow and ice so I can get used to how the car handles in bad conditions. At this point I am pretty trusting of its instincts and expect that it and I will do the right thing together.
Old 01-21-2015 | 06:43 PM
Racer

Zoomer, I hadn't read that review. I had slippage on ice once earlier this week, and the rear stepped out a wee bit. I pressed the throttle a wee bit more and the front wheels gained traction as I was doing the standard "CPR" maneuver. Good thing I've done HPDEs....and have lived in snow country for 25 years....those really helped.

Good to know that you had HPDE! The recommendation of Sport Mode, in this article, might be the way to go. When we had snow and sleet where I am and driving in that stuff I found the Sport mode to be best to control the car. I believe Sport mode distributes torque as well as controls traction better across the board (pending a potential reflash of the sfw). A byproduct of Sport mode is that my hybrid battery goes to almost full as well--at the right oppty I go back to non-Sport mode to get EV miles and balance out the MPG. It is very important in these condition to know the outside temperature-specially when it goes from greater than 32 to below freezing--because that is when people start slipping and sliding on untreated surfaces. We should also remember that the Mich we have are low-resistance high mileage tires=not going to help you with traction in snow flake conditions.
fsmith (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015 | 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

I have otherwise had no trouble driving in regular mode all winter, in snowy conditions. The car is quite predictable once you know how it's going to react in slippery conditions. I'll try playing with Sport Mode next time it snows to see if there's a difference.
timmins (01-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015 | 04:59 AM
RLX Hybrid #053

I have otherwise had no trouble driving in regular mode all winter, in snowy conditions. The car is quite predictable once you know how it's going to react in slippery conditions. I'll try playing with Sport Mode next time it snows to see if there's a difference.
i have around 5,000 km (3,000 Miles) of winter driving that were trouble free and quite enjoyable. maybe its the winter tires but the back end does not step out as i have been reading in this thread. believe me i tried. actually it would step out like a foot and it will be reined in.

i do agree with you neuronbob that winter driving is predictable but what is so wonderful about it is that you are not on edge or at 100% attention to drive in the winter. the driving is very relaxed. i should declare that i drive it mostly in sport mode - mileage be dammed.

Noteworthy, yesterday i received an email from Acura telling me that i got free maintenance for four years on the RLX. hope you all got the same.

pet peeves THE DAM COFFEE CUP HOLDER, the wood door over the coffee cup holder will knock the lid off your coffee cup if its smaller than large and it does not hug the cup good. also the door bins are way too small.

brilliant is the gearbox. also the way the car prepares everything when you are ready to take a fast corner especially the seat belts. they tighten but unlike other cars they automatically loosen when all is done and you can feel it. Also notable is the wonderful acceleration. i have driven few mid 4 second 0 to 60 cars and this one feels as fast.
Old 01-24-2015 | 09:52 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by timmins
i should declare that i drive it mostly in sport mode - mileage be dammed.

You don't get annoyed with the double downshifts and staying a gear down at cruising speeds?
Old 01-24-2015 | 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

The free maintenance is an Acura Canada promotion only.
I believe the snow tires timmins is using make a HUGE difference in winter handling.

Last edited by hondamore; 01-24-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-24-2015 | 11:24 AM
RLX Hybrid #053

Originally Posted by George Knighton

You don't get annoyed with the double downshifts and staying a gear down at cruising speeds?
hi George, i leave the car in sport mode around town especially because of the winter and slippery roads. also, because of the cold the engine will start every minute or so to keep you worm.

on the highway i only use sport mode before passing because i mostly travel on single lane highways with very limited passing opportunities.
Old 01-24-2015 | 11:34 AM
RLX Hybrid #053

Originally Posted by hondamore
The free maintenance is an Acura Canada promotion only.
I believe the snow tires timmins is using make a HUGE difference in winter handling.
could be but it was a nice unexpected surprise. the salesman never mentioned it.

as for the snow tires, i believe you are right. still all my cars (past and present) had/have snow tires and some would step the tail out on hard acceleration off the line with front wheels turned. those with rear wheel based drive with all wheel drive (4matic, xdrive, etc.)
Old 01-27-2015 | 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

After driving in the snow for the first time this morning, I have nothing but praise. I found a wide open parking lot to see how things work and even without snow tires it is fantastic! Very predictable and the inside rear wheel does unique things to keep you from over-steering unexpectedly. I only experienced under-steer or slight stepping out over-steer when I was in a parking lot at approximately a fast walking speed on very slippery surface. It was interesting to see the power delivery change instantaneously as there was more traction on the driver side and little on the passenger side on one stretch of uphill road. The EV power monitor in the HUD immediately showed the power delivery continued on the driver side and stopped immediately on the passenger side until the slippery condition passed, then it reverted back to the normal operation. It was smooth and imperceptible as there was no pulling or jerking motions with the power transfer process. In fact if I did not see the monitor, I would not have thought that either side lost traction at that time. I do not believe that any AWD system could react in what seemed like true real time, like the SH in the same road condition. Very impressive. In general the handling was neutral at all times. Very controllable and predictable. I had to remind myself that the laws of physics still apply and that even though I discovered I was suddenly going 58 mph on snow covered roads because the traction under acceleration was so good, that would not help if and when I needed to stop. 4,400 lbs + the driver is a lot of mass, and I can't forget that. The traction under braking was excellent also. This car far exceeds my expectations for this or any other sedan. It is even better than my MDX which is awesome in the snow too.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
Malibu Flyer (01-27-2015), neuronbob (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015 | 02:58 PM
Pro

After driving in the snow for the first time this morning, I have nothing but praise. I found a wide open parking lot to see how things work and even without snow tires it is fantastic! Very predictable and the inside rear wheel does unique things to keep you from over-steering unexpectedly. I only experienced under-steer or slight stepping out over-steer when I was in a parking lot at approximately a fast walking speed on very slippery surface. It was interesting to see the power delivery change instantaneously as there was more traction on the driver side and little on the passenger side on one stretch of uphill road. The EV power monitor in the HUD immediately showed the power delivery continued on the driver side and stopped immediately on the passenger side until the slippery condition passed, then it reverted back to the normal operation. It was smooth and imperceptible as there was no pulling or jerking motions with the power transfer process. In fact if I did not see the monitor, I would not have thought that either side lost traction at that time. I do not believe that any AWD system could react in what seemed like true real time, like the SH in the same road condition. Very impressive. In general the handling was neutral at all times. Very controllable and predictable. I had to remind myself that the laws of physics still apply and that even though I discovered I was suddenly going 58 mph on snow covered roads because the traction under acceleration was so good, that would not help if and when I needed to stop. 4,400 lbs + the driver is a lot of mass, and I can't forget that. The traction under braking was excellent also. This car far exceeds my expectations for this or any other sedan. It is even better than my MDX which is awesome in the snow too.
Thanks for the info about snowy conditions. Now I only hope that California gets some wet weather in the mountains so we can have some decent skiing and I can test this for myself.
Old 02-06-2015 | 10:48 PM
RLX Hybrid #053

Hello All,
i thought to share with you a picture i took today of a typical road "highway" i drive on. its a single lane cleared but unsalted. typically, when passing i get over the dirty part in the middle to the side, gun it pass whatever, slow down and tuck back into my lane. not with this one. i gun it from the start, full blast over the dirty part with spray everywhere, pass like its on dry road. i know the snow tires has a lot to do with that but boy oh boy what a winter car.

The following 3 users liked this post by timmins:
fsmith (02-07-2015), hondamore (02-07-2015), neuronbob (02-07-2015)
Old 02-14-2015 | 08:34 AM
RLX Hybrid #053

Hello All,
below is a link to a video of the RLX off the line start on snow-covered road with VSA off and in sport mode. notice the buildup of speed also the traction control only kicked in when i was heavy on the accelerator.
The measure of a good vehicle is how it behaves with all the electronic nannies turned off. although i cant film this but with VSA off, sport mode and downshift to 2nd i can make the car fishtail controllably by feathering the gas its a wounderful sensation. DON'T TRY THIS IF NOT EXPERIENCED.
neuronbob (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015 | 06:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Just noticed this video. Completely no drama there, which is a good thing. What a well designed system!

On another front.....I woke up to -17 degrees on Friday. Without an engine block heater, the car started up without any drama whatsoever. I let it warm up for 60 seconds (usually I do a 30 second or less start up but in deference to the extreme conditions.....) and off I went.

Other than the shellacking this car takes in fuel economy in extreme conditions, this has been great winter transportation.

Even without winter tires, the acceleration on snowy roads is completely without drama, and slides are easily controlled with the CPR technique.

For example: in cold but dry conditions, I was exiting the freeway on a decreasing radius, upward ramp rated for 25 mph. I was taking it at 40, which I often do when it's dry. One of the rear tires lost traction in mid-turn. I could feel the system using each one of the wheels to regain traction as I corrected by steering. No sudden acceleration from the rears. Not much drama and I was able to steer out of what might have been a slide into the grass in another car.

Last edited by neuronbob; 02-22-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2015 | 09:31 AM
Grandpa

Very heavy snow here yesterday.

Car did as well as anybody could have expected, considering that it did not have dedicated snow tyres.

It was slipping, but in a predictable and safe way.

Cars were abandoned all over the place, but the RLX did fine (assuming a four wheel, controllable drift is your idea of "fine" on occasion).

12" total, which for us novices over here is just unheard of. It's about 4" more than predicted, so it caught us with the district's plows already assigned to I-66 and I-95, and the snowfall was so heavy that they couldn't get back to where their own neighborhoods until around 9:00 this morning.

Virginians in the snow. Not a pretty sight. Bread and milk, bread and milk, gotta get the bread and milk....

:-)
Old 02-22-2015 | 09:33 AM
Grandpa

:-)

And no, of course that's not me.
timmins (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015 | 09:34 AM
Grandpa

Old 02-22-2015 | 11:37 AM
Pro

We're up over 95" for the season here, most of it in the past few weeks, and the plows and the politicians can't keep up. But my Sport Hybrid hasn't missed a beat or ever lost control. Potholes are everywhere, so I am driving more cautiously, and slower, on city streets. But this is a car made for record New England winters!
Old 02-22-2015 | 01:51 PM
RLX Hybrid #053

Originally Posted by George Knighton
funny
Old 02-22-2015 | 02:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ok. Someone is going to call bullshit to this, but here we go.

13 years ago I was in a very bad accident in which I was hit from behind and just about vaporized two disks in my neck. After c5-6, c6-7 Microdiscectomy surgery and 6 months of brutal recovery and rehabilitation, I have lived a happy life. Since buying my RLX-SH and have been enjoying the beautiful torque this machine delivers, but I have been noticing my neck getting sore to the point of going to see my old rehab therapist to figure out why it is bothering me again. She started asking questions about physical activity to see if it is sports related or something else. Only after many questions and palpating my neck to figure out what is firing the pain nerves, did I ask her if my car could be causing my discomfort. She initially thought that was absurd, but then asked me if I could drive her around the block so she could rule that ridiculous idea out. She felt the torque on her neck and immediately said that has to be it. She has two other patients with Tesla's that are dealing with the very same issues, and they did not have prior neck surgery. Thus she felt that my source of a sore neck was likely directly related to the enjoyment of the car, by nothing else other than deductive reasoning. I am getting another treatment this week, but now I am consciously resting my head on the headrest before accelerating briskly.

I am not saying this is something where you can't lean forward to grab a $100 bill taped to the dash board, but because the tip-in throttle response is so immediate, and when the road is dry you can really jump on it (especially in sport mode and the brake hold is on), this creates immediate torque to our necks. It takes a very small amount of movement to create an issue.

What an awesome car!
Old 02-22-2015 | 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^
Not BS at all. I see a bit of this in my office, usually in people with newer cars. It in part comes from the position of the head rest. Because of the newer head rest requirements and many manufacturers setting them to avoid whiplash, the head can be forced forward just enough to cause problems for some.

You need to adjust your headrest so the back of your head, and your neck, are more comfortable.
Old 02-22-2015 | 04:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^^
Not BS at all. I see a bit of this in my office, usually in people with newer cars. It in part comes from the position of the head rest. Because of the newer head rest requirements and many manufacturers setting them to avoid whiplash, the head can be forced forward just enough to cause problems for some.

You need to adjust your headrest so the back of your head, and your neck, are more comfortable.
I'm glad your don't think this is BS as it seems you work in the medical community based on your other comments. My head rest is positioned correctly but I tend to keep my head about an inch in front of it normally. It is in that approximate inch of head travel that I believe is the source of my neck issue. This is a very high class problem for sure, but it seems that the car has enough torque to create an ongoing issue for me. I am definitely not complaining. A friend of mine races a GT3 at Lime Rock on a regular basis and he uses the Hans restraint in addition to his helmet to protect his neck. Obviously that is an entirely different level of power delivery and g-forges in all directions, but it would seem like a resolution to any neck issue (not that I am saying I should implement using that device).

Quick Reply: Sport Hybrid "beta tester" report: Winter driving