RLX, MDX CMBS Radar Error Recall.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 06:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
RLX, MDX CMBS Radar Error Recall.

Statement by Acura Regarding CMBS Radar Error Recall: 2014-2015 Acura MDX and RLX - Honda News
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (05-15-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
See TSB 15-030 - Safety Recall: RLX CMBS Error and TSB 15-031 - Safety Recall: RLX Hybrid CMBS Error in the TSB sticky thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...thread-921955/
The following 2 users liked this post by EE4Life:
demosan (07-19-2015), pgeorg (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EE4Life
See TSB 15-030 - Safety Recall: RLX CMBS Error and TSB 15-031 - Safety Recall: RLX Hybrid CMBS Error in the TSB sticky thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...thread-921955/
EE4Life,

Thank you for posting all the TSBs and Recall notices! I did see it, and also thanked you
I posted this to make sure everyone sees it on the official Honda News website, also. IMHO this one is really important.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:32 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Thanks for posting. I wonder if Acura will notify Canadian owners?? I'd like this update applied to my car too!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CanadacuraTL
Thanks for posting. I wonder if Acura will notify Canadian owners?? I'd like this update applied to my car too!
Here you go:-)

Statement by Acura Regarding CMBS Radar Error Recall: 2014-2015 Acura MDX and RLX
Limelight (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Is this for Tech and Adv models?
Old 05-14-2015, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Is this for Tech and Adv models?
I believe it is only for the advanced model for the RLX P-AWS.
The recall notice for the Sport Hybrid says that it includes "ALL", Advanced and Tech.

Last edited by pgeorg; 05-14-2015 at 06:51 PM.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pgeorg
I believe it is only for the advanced model for the RLX P-AWS.
The recall notice for the Sport Hybrid says that it includes "ALL", Advanced and Tech.
I guess the notice did not make it to my dealer on Tuesday when I was there for my battery issue that wasn't. I will call them. Thank you!!!!
Old 05-14-2015, 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Automated cars are going to kill us! Aaaaaaaaaaaa! this will certainly give Luddites some ammo.

Just joking. I've never noted that error. Thankfully. I'll be making a visit to the dealer post haste.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Just read the TSB. There's nothing to do as repair procedure is not yet released.if you're worried, they say to deactivate CMBS, which is super easy to do.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Automated cars are going to kill us! Aaaaaaaaaaaa! this will certainly give Luddites some ammo.

Just joking. I've never noted that error. Thankfully. I'll be making a visit to the dealer post haste.
Dr. Bob,

If that silver/ebony SH ends up being something I am going after in Michigan, I will be driving past you on my way back to Gotham since I would fly one way to get it. Photo op???? It would be like Tonto and Silver!
Old 05-14-2015, 07:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Just read the TSB. There's nothing to do as repair procedure is not yet released.if you're worried, they say to deactivate CMBS, which is super easy to do.
Correct neuronbob! After EE4Life posted the recall in the TSB section, i created this thread to bring it to everyones attention. A couple of people on the 2014+ MDX forum (i also have one), have complained that this has actually happened to them......full braking and all
Old 05-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Dr. Bob,

If that silver/ebony SH ends up being something I am going after in Michigan, I will be driving past you on my way back to Gotham since I would fly one way to get it. Photo op???? It would be like Tonto and Silver!
Oooooooo....2nd Sport Hybrid meet. Schedule willing, you're on.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I called acura today to see what recalls my car has gotten done. They told me that acura is working on a fix for that and they don't have one yet. This is for the collision system thing.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CanadacuraTL
I hope acura isn't like lexus. Lexus doesn't care about their owners over there in Canada like they do here. I have no idea how acura treats there people. Several people had to come to the US to get the engine recall done here ($6000 job).
Old 05-15-2015, 09:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Funny enough, I have two spots on my drive in to work in the mornings where CMBS exhibits this very problem/error every time like clockwork. The spots are where there is a large gap/opening between the lanes of opposing sides of traffic (median gap for turning onto a side road) and there is both a metal sign and the start of a guardrail once the gap closes and the median starts again. I just always passed it off as another "buggy" component that I just have to "live with it"...:|

However it has never gone into Phase 2 or higher whereby throttle is disengaged and brakes applied. I just get the FCW indicators lighting up (amber lights the dash and "BRAKE" message on the MID). Scary to think that could actually happen on a false alert...especially when Im usually going about 45-50mph during those two spots I mentioned above...

Until this is fixed, it looks like now I'll have to remember to disengage CMBS each time I drive the car since I dont believe it will stay in the last set position, like VSA, it comes on by default each time you start the car.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by holografique
Funny enough, I have two spots on my drive in to work in the mornings where CMBS exhibits this very problem/error every time like clockwork. The spots are where there is a large gap/opening between the lanes of opposing sides of traffic (median gap for turning onto a side road) and there is both a metal sign and the start of a guardrail once the gap closes and the median starts again. I just always passed it off as another "buggy" component that I just have to "live with it"...:|

However it has never gone into Phase 2 or higher whereby throttle is disengaged and brakes applied. I just get the FCW indicators lighting up (amber lights the dash and "BRAKE" message on the MID). Scary to think that could actually happen on a false alert...especially when Im usually going about 45-50mph during those two spots I mentioned above...

Until this is fixed, it looks like now I'll have to remember to disengage CMBS each time I drive the car since I dont believe it will stay in the last set position, like VSA, it comes on by default each time you start the car.
That happens for me to from time to time but I don't give it much thought. It pushed back on the gas peddle but no brake application. Maybe that is only for the ADV model?
Old 05-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

That happens for me to from time to time but I don't give it much thought. It pushed back on the gas peddle but no brake application. Maybe that is only for the ADV model?
RLX-Sport Hybrid,

I believe the full CMBS features are only on the Advanced model.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

It has happened to me also multiple time on both the RLX and the MDX, but only on local roads and only stage 1 (flashing BRAKE)......never on the highway yet.
I don't know if i could react properly, if the car applied full braking by itself for no reason! I hope i never find out!
Time to turn it off every time i get in the car, until this is resolved.....
Old 05-15-2015, 11:11 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
I usually only get the Brake Flashing indicator when another car cut in front of me when I am using ACC and KLAS. It flashes but I don't notice any breaking if the car is moving at the same speed or faster. If the car slow down when cutting in then I will notice a quick braking action. When turning off highways exit ramps with metal guard rails, I never have experience any braking. When you you mostly notice this problem?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:26 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I remember once while traveling a country road, I got to an intersection right when a bigger example of a pickup truck rushed up to the stop sign on his side, to the left of me.

I was surprised that I got a warning "Approaching Object" on the big LCD, together with a big orange "BRAKE NOW" on the windscreen at the same time.

Didn't bother me at the time and I just considered it a unique occurrence in a unique set of circumstances.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
2014-2015 RLX owners just can't seem to catch a break. Dammit Acura.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:46 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by MisterZDX
2014-2015 RLX owners just can't seem to catch a break. Dammit Acura.
On the other hand, it's not like we're asking for our money back.

:-)
Old 05-15-2015, 07:19 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Actually, turning off CMBS keeps it off until you manually turn it back on. You don't have to turn it off each time you start the car. (So says my owner's manual and I just went and checked it.)

I, too, have seen the first stage warning a number of times when there was no car to crash into. I ignored it and I have to say it never occurred to me that the car might actually brake in a non-emergency situation. A bit scary. I think I'll turn it off until they issue a patch. This should remind all of us how incredibly complicated these systems are, and it's all just software. All software, almost by definition, has bugs.

I do believe that self-driving cars will eventually work fine and make us safer. Eventually.
hondamore (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I guess it is suppose to go off in some of the situations we have encountered...

Old 05-15-2015, 10:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I remember once while traveling a country road, I got to an intersection right when a bigger example of a pickup truck rushed up to the stop sign on his side, to the left of me.

I was surprised that I got a warning "Approaching Object" on the big LCD, together with a big orange "BRAKE NOW" on the windscreen at the same time.

Didn't bother me at the time and I just considered it a unique occurrence in a unique set of circumstances.
Hmm...Ive never seen an "Approaching Object" message on the MID. A large orange "BRAKE" is the only message I see when FCW/CMBS starts to kick off.

Maybe something new with the Hybrid versions?
Old 05-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Grandpa

Hmm...Ive never seen an "Approaching Object" message on the MID.
It was on the 8" LCD, not the MID.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ Ah, that's even more different. I've never seen anything appear on any of the larger LCD's when it comes to the AcuraWatch system components (LKAS, CMBS, FCW, etc).

That's definitely something unique to the Hybrids.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:27 PM
Racer

mrZdx you need to hurry up and get a 2014 RLX so you can join the fun. You can figure out which TSBs you need done on the one you pick and what else can go wrong
MisterZDX (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 06:05 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
^ Ah, that's even more different. I've never seen anything appear on any of the larger LCD's when it comes to the AcuraWatch system components (LKAS, CMBS, FCW, etc).

That's definitely something unique to the Hybrids.
Same here is just on the SH?
Old 05-16-2015, 07:26 AM
Burning Brakes

It was on the 8" LCD, not the MID.
I believe what George saw when the "Approaching Object" popped up on the 8" LCD was the parking sensors going off. I think i have seen the same when i am stopped at a set of lights or a stop sigh, and a pedestrian walks really close across the front of the car. I might be mistaken though......
Old 05-16-2015, 07:32 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by pgeorg
I believe what George saw when the "Approaching Object" popped up on the 8" LCD was the parking sensors going off. I think i have seen the same when i am stopped at a set of lights or a stop sigh, and a pedestrian walks really close across the front of the car. I might be mistaken though......
Exactly. If you haven't got these odd warnings periodically, all I can think is that you've got your parking sensors turned off.

But the big truck really surprised me. He was moving fast, and it was a big object, and he stopped about a car length and a half away, I would estimate, so the warning was a surprise.

It was also a surprise to me to get the flashing orange in the windscreen when the object was not coming at me directly ahead of me.

I've also got the Approaching Object warning in a snowstorm.

And when the rifle carrying Marines are doing whatever it is they do that will bring individuals onto Aden Rd walking along the easement, I'll also get Approaching Object warnings.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:06 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Could that have been both the CMBS ("BRAKE") and the Parking Sensors ("Approaching Object") alerting at the same time?

[Oops, already answered!]
Old 05-16-2015, 09:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Parking sensor warnings...yes...those I know very well and they do come up on the upper LCD screen. And my Parking Sensors are always on, its one if the most important features of the vehicle for me. Only time I ever disengage them is temporarily when pulling up to a drive thru window to pay at a fast food place and they start going off due to the side guards that most restaurants have right at the pick-up window. But I immediately re-enageg them when I pull away.

We were talking about CMBS/FCW indicators, so I assumed when he mentioned "approaching object" that it was in reference to some additional functin of CMBS/FCW that I had not seen before. I've always assumed the parking sensors only engaged when moving at the appropriate speed of parking (0-2mph?) or at a complete standstill. I've never known (or experienced) them going off when the vehicle is moving at a substantial speed (10mph or higher?).

Parking sensors going off while you're in the act of driving at any speed above and beyond "parking" seems more like a bug in the programming.

Last edited by holografique; 05-16-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:10 AM
Grandpa

Parking sensors going off while you're in the act of driving at any speed above and beyond "parking" seems more like a bug in the programming.
If you didn't live in Atlanta, you'd have probably already experienced this.

Driving in a heavy snowstorm with winds is an adventure in electronic warnings.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ah, I could see how that would definitely cause the sensors to go nuts! While we do get snow a couple times a year in Atlanta, the "black ice" we typically get with snow keeps most people off the roads period.

So if that's the case, then it appears that they are not programmed to work based on a speed threshold. If they are by nature only designed as "parking sensors", then there should be no need for them to be active when moving at any speed outside of a "parking event", which I would say should be anything between 0-5mph. By programming them to become "dormant" at speeds above 5mph, that would eliminate the false alarm scenarios like the one you mentioned above.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Ah, I could see how that would definitely cause the sensors to go nuts! While we do get snow a couple times a year in Atlanta, the "black ice" we typically get with snow keeps most people off the roads period.

So if that's the case, then it appears that they are not programmed to work based on a speed threshold. If they are by nature only designed as "parking sensors", then there should be no need for them to be active when moving at any speed outside of a "parking event", which I would say should be anything between 0-5mph. By programming them to become "dormant" at speeds above 5mph, that would eliminate the false alarm scenarios like the one you mentioned above.
A couple of times this winter i found myself smack in the middle of the big snowstorms we had up here. After the front of the MDX was covered with snow and ice, the CMBS disabled itself. Of course that was because the radar for the CMBS is behind the center grill, i believe. I wanted to see if i cleaned the grill from all the snow, if it would enable itself. It did NOT! I had to clean off all of the front parking sensors, and then it started working again. I don't know if it was just a coincidence, but i think the parking sensors are somehow connected to the CMBS system.
I believe the RLX and the MDX have the same CMBS system.......
Old 05-16-2015, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

^ hmmm...I'm under the notion that the parking sensors are independant from CMBS and not tied to it in any way.
Otherwise they wouldnt give us seperate buttons to disable them independantly of each other.

It's possible that the "parking sensor" button just disables those sensors from working for "parking " conditions, but still provides telemetry or other data for CMBS, but that would seem like an over complicated design that would lead to issues (like the ones we are seeing), versus having two independant systems with specific functions dedicated to their role. But there could be some other component or requirement to how the entire "system" works as a whole that is dictating them to be inter-related.

I deal with these types of engineering situations all day (the old centralized vs a distributed design model), just in datacenter infrastructure, not car designs...

Last edited by holografique; 05-16-2015 at 10:08 AM.
pgeorg (05-17-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 03:24 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by krava
mrZdx you need to hurry up and get a 2014 RLX so you can join the fun. You can figure out which TSBs you need done on the one you pick and what else can go wrong
I do plan to join you guys within the next year. Hell, I post more on this forum than I post on the ZDX forum.

I really really love my ZDX, but I'm a techie and the ZDX tech seems so 2009. I want dual screens, touch, less buttons and all the advanced safety features.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

ZDX...you're in Atlanta right? We should meet up for coffee some time.

Quick Reply: RLX, MDX CMBS Radar Error Recall.