RLX First Drive Impressions in Chicagoland

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RLX First Drive Impressions in Chicagoland

Got to drive one yesterday. It was a relaxed, 45 min drive. First we went to a "track" (a small demo track sponsored by local car dealers with different characteristics (slope, bad pavement, speed, etc.) to demo and try out a car's capabilities).

Couple of first impressions:
- PAWS is great, it doesn't feel like a front wheel drive. Car is very agile, especially when driving a bit harder. Still, everybody told the sales guy "nice car, let me know when the AWD comes out" ...

- rear seat very roomy, but I am just above 6 feet and I am darn close to the head liner...

- car overall looks a lot better in person than on the pictures; like others have noted, it has this subdued elegance, the "quiet but strong" type ...

- the car has plenty of power, but can't put it on the pavement well; it was dry, and when I did just a kick down, there was plenty of wheel spin -- the AWD may help here -- but frankly, it's not meant to be a sports car, it's meant to be a limo-like experience

- car is very comfortable to drive, great visibility to the instrument cluster (the steering wheel typically obstructs part of my view to the instrument cluster when adjusted in an angle comfortable to me in almost every other car I drive (or have driven))

- the instruments / touch screen are very intuitive, but the voice commands need work. The system wants you to be in the correct submenu before accepting voice commands -- they don't seem to be global (some may be, but didn't have time to try all fo them). For example, it took a bit of trying before figuring out how to cancel a route in the navi.

- the car is certainly on my short list; well the AWD version anyway. I am hoping they make AWD available on the "lower" trim levels as well and don't just add one additional trim level on the top with AWD. Also hoping they don't make it too "sporty", read "uncomfortable ride" -- that is one of the strong suites of the car.

If you are in the south western suburbs of Chicago, Continental Acura in Aurora has a "welcome reception" on Friday evening from 6 to 8 (I am not affiliated with them).
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by CeEl
Got to drive one yesterday. It was a relaxed, 45 min drive. First we went to a "track" (a small demo track sponsored by local car dealers with different characteristics (slope, bad pavement, speed, etc.) to demo and try out a car's capabilities).

Couple of first impressions:
- PAWS is great, it doesn't feel like a front wheel drive. Car is very agile, especially when driving a bit harder. Still, everybody told the sales guy "nice car, let me know when the AWD comes out" ...

- rear seat very roomy, but I am just above 6 feet and I am darn close to the head liner...

- car overall looks a lot better in person than on the pictures; like others have noted, it has this subdued elegance, the "quiet but strong" type ...

- the car has plenty of power, but can't put it on the pavement well; it was dry, and when I did just a kick down, there was plenty of wheel spin -- the AWD may help here -- but frankly, it's not meant to be a sports car, it's meant to be a limo-like experience

- car is very comfortable to drive, great visibility to the instrument cluster (the steering wheel typically obstructs part of my view to the instrument cluster when adjusted in an angle comfortable to me in almost every other car I drive (or have driven))

- the instruments / touch screen are very intuitive, but the voice commands need work. The system wants you to be in the correct submenu before accepting voice commands -- they don't seem to be global (some may be, but didn't have time to try all fo them). For example, it took a bit of trying before figuring out how to cancel a route in the navi.

- the car is certainly on my short list; well the AWD version anyway. I am hoping they make AWD available on the "lower" trim levels as well and don't just add one additional trim level on the top with AWD. Also hoping they don't make it too "sporty", read "uncomfortable ride" -- that is one of the strong suites of the car.

If you are in the south western suburbs of Chicago, Continental Acura in Aurora has a "welcome reception" on Friday evening from 6 to 8 (I am not affiliated with them).
Acura's implementation of AWD on this car is very expensive. Three electric motors, batteries, electronics etc. The cost of that is a large step up, more than say Tech to Advance. So I can't see them putting SH-SH-AWD on the tech. If you are going to spend that kind of money you might as well go for the top of the line trim. One other option that I've never seen discussed is to just put SH-AWD on Tech model. Proven tech and lower costs than the hybrid. But I think Acura is expecting non-SH-SH-AWD buyers to be happy with PAWS.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Acura's implementation of AWD on this car is very expensive. Three electric motors, batteries, electronics etc. The cost of that is a large step up, more than say Tech to Advance. So I can't see them putting SH-SH-AWD on the tech. If you are going to spend that kind of money you might as well go for the top of the line trim. One other option that I've never seen discussed is to just put SH-AWD on Tech model. Proven tech and lower costs than the hybrid. But I think Acura is expecting non-SH-SH-AWD buyers to be happy with PAWS.
Yes, I am sure you are right about the price. If it gets to be a $70k car, it will need something else, though. AWD (no matter how sophisticated) will need something in addition to justify that kind of price tag.

Who knows ... maybe it's eligible for federal/state incentives and tax credits for being a hybrid?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:02 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
the wheelspin...most likely b/c of the crappy OEM tires they put on the car. not sure which ones are on the RLX, but i know the ones on the 4G TL, 3G TL, TSXs...i pretty much hated. the 3G TL stock tires....wheelspin without even mashing on the pedal in rain (those were promptly replaced). all the others i was able to chirp the tires a bit. i even chirped the tires of my MDX. what can i say i like cornering.

as far as your drive assessment, i'd agree with you on all points. the car is comfortable to drive and very well layed out. although i was not able to really "push" the car as much as i would have liked, it's a nice ride.

the car does look better in person than in pics. it's an elegant car that is handsomely designed. however it's really a car for me. it's a touch too big.

i dont' think acura has the same stigma that hyundai has. the same argument can be made in terms of costs with the equus. who pays $70K for a hyundai? there will be people that drop that kind of coin on the RLX (assuming the AWD system gets to that price point), b/c acura is a tweener. not good enough to be with the old school tier 1 makes (MB/BMW), but certainly a few steps higher than a primarily known as an eco-brand hyundai.

the AWD version (i heard from the sales guy), will probably drive the price up significantly. i'm not sure how much of what he said i want to believe until we really see what comes out later this year.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
wait so AWD isn't standard? the old RL was standard.. wow
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^no, optional later this yr.

RLX offered currently with FWD and P-AWS system. SH-SHAWD will be offered this fall.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl

i dont' think acura has the same stigma that hyundai has. the same argument can be made in terms of costs with the equus. who pays $70K for a hyundai? there will be people that drop that kind of coin on the RLX (assuming the AWD system gets to that price point), b/c acura is a tweener. not good enough to be with the old school tier 1 makes (MB/BMW), but certainly a few steps higher than a primarily known as an eco-brand hyundai.
Agree on Hyundai vs Acura. But they have come a long way and aren't that far away from where Honda/Acura were when I bought my '06 TL. And they make up for it with the whole purchase experience on the Equus. They come to your house for the test drive, pick the car up for service, etc. (Maybe their dealerships are just crappy places )
Old 02-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Hyundai made a decision that may eventually cap their ability to compete with the top tier players by not spinning off the Genesis brand. I fully appreciate why they decided not to spin off the brand but inthe end I'm taking a $70K car for service with the guy that is driving an Accent, and this is nothing against the Accent owner, but the dealership experience has to cater to both ranges. You go into a Lexus, Acura, Infiniti dealer and they have a more up scale feel, even the attitude usually is different. Also Hyundai (last I looked into it) had a very restrictive loaner car policy on Genesis, you had to bring car for service to the selling dealer to get a loaner. That is just insane.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:52 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i personally don't want anybody driving my car other than me. it's bad enough i have to give up the keys for service but not much i can do there.

my dealer treats me really well. if you develop a relationship/rapport with them they treat you like a friend of the family, not like another anonymous customer. i know several of the SAs, a few guys in sales, the GM, the loaner mgr (i get to choose any car i want as long as it's available, and i get lifetime loaners)...it's this customer experience that i mind paying a little extra for. in return if you have any issues with your car that are unexpected...they do their best to see what they can do. the art of customer service is gone in most other industries (not saying this type of experience is at all dealers...just mine). it's all a matter of what you value.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ You seem to have the EXACT same relationship with your dealership as I have with mine....I agree, there is NO price to attach with such a service/feeling. That is why when I hear people trying to do everything in their power to get the lowest price (even by 100$), I think its not worth it. The way I look at it, I don't work for free nor do I expect the people that work at the dealership....don't rob me blind, but I don't expect people to lose a shirt over selling me a car.

And as far as letting people drive my vehicles...Oh do I hear you on that one!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Agree completely with the previous two posts. We have a great relationship with our Acura dealer, although we don't visit them very often. But when I found my TL's battery had croaked late on a Saturday afternoon, they got me in, got it replaced (warranty) and even tossed in some free service for my trouble. When the car is there, they always note how clean and nice it is, and my SA seems to take special care to make sure it comes back that way.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:05 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
i personally don't want anybody driving my car other than me. it's bad enough i have to give up the keys for service but not much i can do there.

my dealer treats me really well. if you develop a relationship/rapport with them they treat you like a friend of the family, not like another anonymous customer. i know several of the SAs, a few guys in sales, the GM, the loaner mgr (i get to choose any car i want as long as it's available, and i get lifetime loaners)...it's this customer experience that i don't mind paying a little extra for. in return if you have any issues with your car that are unexpected...they do their best to see what they can do. the art of customer service is gone in most other industries (not saying this type of experience is at all dealers...just mine). it's all a matter of what you value.
edit...fixed...brain thinking faster than i can type again.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
TLtrigirl....I read your original post and knew what you meant. I wasn't referring to you when making the comment about trying to get the cheapest car. I was making a general comment that cheaper is not better....having the type of dealer experience like you and I seem to share is priceless
Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i know.^^^btw u have mail.