Okay, here's the deal

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:52 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Okay, here's the deal

I've talked around it before, but now I'll just say it:

The RLX is not a sports car, and it is in fact trying hard to be a luxury sedan ... so why doesn't it have a luxury car ride? I'll go so far as to say that the ride is one of the key reasons the RLX isn't selling better!

Face it - if you ride in an E-class or a BMW 5-series or 7-series (cars the RLX is supposedly targeted at), you will enjoy a supple ride experience, where abrupt pavement breaks won't jar you, and bumps and potholes are smothered.

Ride in an RLX, though, and you think you're in a TSX or maybe an SUV of some kind. My RLX rides almost exactly like my last TL.

If I'm a luxury car shopper comparing brands, and I test drive the RLX, I'm probably going to keep shopping. It's undoubtedly a great car in terms of style, size, amenities, etc., but it rides like a nice pickup truck, not a luxury car.

Yes, some luxury car buyers want sporty "handling", but I'm guessing they're in the minority. And handling can be had without a stiff ride. I've owned 4 different BMW's, and they somehow managed to deliver good ride quality AND world-class handling. The right spring rates and shock rebound values, plus good anti-sway bars are the ticket. Or better yet, give us adjustable dampers so we can select the Comfort setting for a good ride and the Sport setting for the canyons.

I love my RLX except for the brittle ride, so if Acura is listening, I'm telling them you are confusing the public. They want to believe you that the RLX is a lux sedan, yet it rides like a sport sedan. You have the TL and ILX for sportiness, so make the RLX ride like the flagship luxury car it should be and you'll sell more of them.

You're welcome.
The following users liked this post:
Fabvsix (05-27-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Or....
1. Like the last RL, make an A-Spec option for those of us who want a little sport. Acura knows how to do it.
2. Or adjustable suspension like on MDX.
The following 6 users liked this post by neuronbob:
hondamore (05-26-2014), Ken1997TL (05-26-2014), ReLaX (05-29-2014), TampaRLX-SH (05-26-2014), Timmy18 (08-01-2014), victorber (08-06-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
I've only had my RLX since Friday and have yet to log 500 miles so perhaps the novelty of ownership has yet to wear off but I rather enjoy the ride in my RLX. It is surely no dedicated sports car; no canyon carving Corvette here. But I find the ride ultimately more satisfying than a Lexus which is a quiet car no doubt but I feel so disconnected from the driving experience when driving something like that. ( I test drove a GS a while back)

I have a hard time quantifying the Acura's ride. Maybe after a thousand or so more miles l can be more specific but all I can come up with now is the "goldilocks" effect.

Not to firm
Not to soft
Just right.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:27 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I've talked around it before, but now I'll just say it:

The RLX is not a sports car, and it is in fact trying hard to be a luxury sedan ... so why doesn't it have a luxury car ride? I'll go so far as to say that the ride is one of the key reasons the RLX isn't selling better!

Face it - if you ride in an E-class or a BMW 5-series or 7-series (cars the RLX is supposedly targeted at), you will enjoy a supple ride experience, where abrupt pavement breaks won't jar you, and bumps and potholes are smothered.

Ride in an RLX, though, and you think you're in a TSX or maybe an SUV of some kind. My RLX rides almost exactly like my last TL.

If I'm a luxury car shopper comparing brands, and I test drive the RLX, I'm probably going to keep shopping. It's undoubtedly a great car in terms of style, size, amenities, etc., but it rides like a nice pickup truck, not a luxury car.

Yes, some luxury car buyers want sporty "handling", but I'm guessing they're in the minority. And handling can be had without a stiff ride. I've owned 4 different BMW's, and they somehow managed to deliver good ride quality AND world-class handling. The right spring rates and shock rebound values, plus good anti-sway bars are the ticket. Or better yet, give us adjustable dampers so we can select the Comfort setting for a good ride and the Sport setting for the canyons.

I love my RLX except for the brittle ride, so if Acura is listening, I'm telling them you are confusing the public. They want to believe you that the RLX is a lux sedan, yet it rides like a sport sedan. You have the TL and ILX for sportiness, so make the RLX ride like the flagship luxury car it should be and you'll sell more of them.

You're welcome.
In fairness, and admittedly I'm no expert but, I had an '07 E350 4matic followed by a '10 TL SHAWD and both had very comparable rides and handling characteristics, while the TL was $20K less OTD. Either would cruise easily at 80-90MPH.
We have plenty of poor/awful roads in the NY tristate. MY single complaint with the E was the low profile tires! Changed 6 tires in the 3 years and on one occasion BOTH front tires blew doing 30!
Haven't driven the RLX cuz I'm flat-out uninterested in PAWS
Old 05-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Acura sent me another email with yet another request to go to a survey link to tell them what I thought about this and that.

It was very detailed, but it left a huge space for whatever I wanted to say about whatever I wanted.

One of the things I said was that they appear to have made a car with little to no appeal unless they were trying to be sure that older Honda buyers still have someplace to go when they got into their 60's. The only people who seem to be buying the car are people who've come to the RLX from another Honda.

I don't mind the ride at all, but I'm fine with two stage dampers and the complicated double wishbones. The first time you have to bounce off a gater in a curve, you'll probably appreciate it, although I admit that there aren't that many 60+-year olds bouncing off of gaters.

:-)
Old 05-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
So let me ask this question: do 19 inch rims and 40 series profile tire make enough of a difference in handling over an 18 inch rim with 45 series tires to warrant the harsher ride that comes with them?? It seems to me that RLX buyers would lean toward a smooth comfortable ride over Porsche-like handling, so why not make smoothness the standard equipment and offer sportier as an option (eg A-spec suspension parts and 19 inch wheels) as suggested earlier. Currently, to get all the bells and whistles, you have to live with the bumps - this seems counterintuitive to the RLX's core buyer's wishes.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Acura sent me another email with yet another request to go to a survey link to tell them what I thought about this and that.

It was very detailed, but it left a huge space for whatever I wanted to say about whatever I wanted.

One of the things I said was that they appear to have made a car with little to no appeal unless they were trying to be sure that older Honda buyers still have someplace to go when they got into their 60's. The only people who seem to be buying the car are people who've come to the RLX from another Honda.

I don't mind the ride at all, but I'm fine with two stage dampers and the complicated double wishbones. The first time you have to bounce off a gater in a curve, you'll probably appreciate it, although I admit that there aren't that many 60+-year olds bouncing off of gaters.

:-)
Uhhhh...what's a "gater".
BTW, IIRC the E had 245/40/18s AND the RL in 2011 had a little smoother ride than the TL with plenty of giddy up!
Furthermore Mr. Knighton...you'll be cresting 60 soon, just as I did. I may not use the HP often but, I like it to be there when I want it. My wife, your age, likes the HP ALL the time!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
When I test drove the RLX Advance I found the ride to be a bit jittery, not what I expected in the ride for a car of this class. I think Acura is so used to a firmer ride that when they tried to make the RLX a bit of a luxury ride they could not figure out how to dial in the suspension.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:02 PM
AcurAdmirer

Well, I kind of hoped to generate some comments with my post (:wink, and I appreciate the replies.

I'm serious, though - it seems like Acura took the same suspension specs as the TL and applied them to the RLX. And that's odd to me, since they're trying to position the RLX as a lux sedan apparently hoping to lure away E-class and Bimmer owners. But by comparison, the RLX ride quality is low-rent.

Too bad, since pretty much everything else about it is top-notch.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by KeithL
When I test drove the RLX Advance I found the ride to be a bit jittery, not what I expected in the ride for a car of this class. I think Acura is so used to a firmer ride that when they tried to make the RLX a bit of a luxury ride they could not figure out how to dial in the suspension.
Only my personal opinion but, shared by at least a few others, this PAWS offering was ill advised BEFORE the SH SH-AWD was ready for delivery(and...gulp...maybe shouldn't have gone into production at all!).
The PAWS simply doesn't offer anything extraordinary or anything that would attract attention away from the German elite like the techno/hybrid performance/handling/economy of the RLXh.
Styling for any of these Lux Sedans? "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" regardless of tristar, bimmer or Star Trek insignia!
Time will tell...if this RLXh performs as designed and continues the "legacy" of Acura bullet-proof reliability, they may need to ramp up to 12,000/yr.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:22 AM
Racer

Received 240 Likes on 151 Posts
I had two RL's-2005 and 2010 and thought the suspension and handling was excellent-a blend of both luxury and sportiness. Long trips were a pleasure and looked forward to. So Acura knows how to manufacture what we are looking for. The reviews of the RLX SH-AWD indicate that the suspension and ride are a big improvement from the PAWS so there is hope but the delayed introduction and limited production estimates are a real downer.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor
The PAWS simply doesn't offer anything extraordinary....
I had to admit that P-AWS *does* make a difference and I was surprised that the attitude of the RLX was closer to my previous SH-AWD car than I anticipated.

Not the performance in a corner, of course, but the car's nose is definitely pointed the right direction and it helps you with being confident enough to apply the throttle in a corner, at which point the car adjusts again, allowing more throttle, and by that time you're likely through the apex.

I'm not claiming that it is as fast as my SH-AWD TL 6-6 was, of course.

But it's a hell of a lot faster than my 2006 Accord 6-6 HFP Coupe would have been in exactly the same corner.

So I think it does make a difference, but Acura have to admit that they have a marketing issue on their hands with P-AWS and the RLX, and upcoming TLX P-AWS car.

They'll have to figure out how to handle that and I don't think Seinfeld is the answer. :-)

Uhhhh...what's a "gater"
A gater is the high candy striped kerbstone at the apex of a corner, and sometimes elsewhere that people tend to drive two wheels off, designed to tend to keep you on the paved portion of the road when traveling quickly.

The fastest way through any given place that consists of a single corner is usually to touch that gater briefly, although there are notable exceptions that profit aggressive driving with two wheels the other side of the gater.

This isn't a good picture, but it's the first one I could find. My old '00 ITR #110 when it was still in B Motor trim, about 8 years ago. In the background you can see the gater that is designed to keep you off the berm if you've come out of Turn 5 quickly and stayed to the left.
Attached Thumbnails Okay, here's the deal-280912_230081757015147_100000399724218_777345_1779585_o.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by George Knighton:
2011TL (05-27-2014), victorber (05-27-2014), wstr75 (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 08:40 AM
Grandpa

Under full braking at Honda's Mid-Ohio, about to touch the gater on the left.

By this time the car was in its K Motor H1 trim.

Attached Thumbnails Okay, here's the deal-dsc05087-copy.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Racer

I had to admit that P-AWS *does* make a difference

So I think it does make a difference, but Acura have to admit that they have a marketing issue on their hands with P-AWS
Definitely!
Most Americans have AWD, in any form, fairly assimilated and likely feel AWD is AWD, whatever the format. (P) AWS is a whole 'nother animal.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Pens Fan
I had two RL's-2005 and 2010 and thought the suspension and handling was excellent-a blend of both luxury and sportiness. Long trips were a pleasure and looked forward to. So Acura knows how to manufacture what we are looking for. The reviews of the RLX SH-AWD indicate that the suspension and ride are a big improvement from the PAWS so there is hope but the delayed introduction and limited production estimates are a real downer.
Great news for the 100-200 lucky people that may buy one.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
And who will probably pay full MSRP.......
victorber (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I agree the PAWS RLX was a more active ride than I expected. As I have stated in other posts it seems the tail bobs with too much up and down motion as well. I always find Honda suspensions transmit more wheel thumps and crashes many other cars better absorb (perhaps a double wishbone suspension characteristic?) I was surprised to drive the MDX right afterwards and found it a smoother, more comfortable ride.

Then I got in the SH RLX back in March. I noted the ride was less active and more hunkered down. It makes me wonder if the RLX suspension was tuned with the SH version in mind. Perhaps that extra weight and weight distribution of the SH quelled the PAWS' busy ride?

Not to extrapolate too far.....but maybe the SH RLX was the end product all along, and after discovering they could not get it to market fast enough to replace the mummified RL, they made a stop gap model with the PAWS RLX?
victorber (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 07:31 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
I must be in the minority, regarding P-AWS, In my travels across this country P-AWS has shown me what I am probably missing from SH-AWD in regards to faster response and very quick bleeding off speed when required.
During our Goldwing years we went down and up the 425 miles of the Shenandoah and Blueridge Pky and the Tail of the Dragon, annually which has 311 hairpin turns in 11.1 miles all of which I'm going to repeat in my RLX this week. Unless you put yourself into those types of environments you cannot pass judgement on the P-AWS.
Our RLX has saved our Bacon more than a few times, in the last 10 months.

I'll let you know how the RLX and P-AWS cuts the mustard...
Old 05-27-2014, 08:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I thought the ride was good until I read this thread. Now I feel every bump in the road
Old 05-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by victorber
I must be in the minority, regarding P-AWS, In my travels across this country P-AWS has shown me what I am probably missing from SH-AWD in regards to faster response and very quick bleeding off speed when required.
During our Goldwing years we went down and up the 425 miles of the Shenandoah and Blueridge Pky and the Tail of the Dragon, annually which has 311 hairpin turns in 11.1 miles all of which I'm going to repeat in my RLX this week. Unless you put yourself into those types of environments you cannot pass judgement on the P-AWS.
Our RLX has saved our Bacon more than a few times, in the last 10 months.

I don't believe anyone here is denigrating the value of PAWS. It may be a great attribute in the conditions you describe BUT! How many people realistically are considering those uncommon conditions when purchasing a Lux sedan?
Therein seems to lie the marketing problem when compared to the competition.
victorber (08-06-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Grandpa

I don't believe anyone here is denigrating the value of PAWS. It may be a great attribute in the conditions you describe BUT! How many people realistically are considering those uncommon conditions when purchasing a Lux sedan?
Therein seems to lie the marketing problem when compared to the competition.
But that brings me back to the possibility that they only considered previous Honda owners, not current Cadillac owners.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 PM
Racer

But that brings me back to the possibility that they only considered previous Honda owners, not current Cadillac owners.
I don't follow your implication?
Why would prior Honda owners be anymore interested in the PAWS than the general public?
Brand loyalty? That's a stretch
When I was looking to replace the E350 back in '10, I looked/drove everything in the midsize sedan segment, had NEVER driven a Honda product.
I was underwhelmed by the Accord but, impressed by the RL/TL, the TL won out cuz it was $12K less, even with SH-AWD.
Considered buying out the TL at lease end but, they refused to negotiate the price and it was too high compared to similar '10 TLs.
Days before consummating a deal on a new S60, decided to see the new Accord. The Touring had many new features "borrowed" from Acura and we bought it. Only regret is no AWD(especially SHAWD)
Old 05-28-2014, 04:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by victorber
Just keep it between the mayo and the mustard on the Tail of the Dragon, OK?
Old 05-28-2014, 07:18 AM
Grandpa

I don't follow your implication?
I didn't mean to imply...I thought I said it outright. :-)

I believe that when they were thinking about what they wanted the RLX to be, they considered mostly what previous Honda and Acura owners would want, and they considered far less what would attract a current A6 owner, or a CTS owner.

If they wanted to keep a few thousand former Accord owners from going somewhere else, then they did what they wanted.

If they were trying to sell 20,000 units to people who were also shopping in a range of Audis and Cadillacs, people who used to own Fords and Chevrolets, then they did not do very well.

If the suspension feels a little too tight or a little too connected, it's because of their perception of what old Legend owners might want in a more modern car, or it's because of what they thought an owner of a 2008 Accord 6-6 Coupe might want to move into.

Take that idea and throw in the Fukushima Scramble that kept every Japanese manufacturer's HQ on edge for 18-24 months, and you have...the RLX 5G Legend.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 AM
AcurAdmirer

I read you loud and clear, George. If they want to play with the Caddy and Mercedes crowd, they need to play by their rules.

Honda has been a bit inbred in the last few years - producing good products, but letting those products go a little past their sell-by date and not paying enough attention to how those products compare to the competition.

In that same period we've seen some really interesting innovations from that competition, and in many ways Honda is falling behind.

Soichiro is probably turning in his grave.

Fabvsix (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Racer

Perceptions

I didn't mean to imply...I thought I said it outright. :-)

I believe that when they were thinking about what they wanted the RLX to be, they considered mostly what previous Honda and Acura owners would want, and they considered far less what would attract a current A6 owner, or a CTS owner.

If they wanted to keep a few thousand former Accord owners from going somewhere else, then they did what they wanted.

If they were trying to sell 20,000 units to people who were also shopping in a range of Audis and Cadillacs, people who used to own Fords and Chevrolets, then they did not do very well.

If the suspension feels a little too tight or a little too connected, it's because of their perception of what old Legend owners might want in a more modern car, or it's because of what they thought an owner of a 2008 Accord 6-6 Coupe might want to move into.

Take that idea and throw in the Fukushima Scramble that kept every Japanese manufacturer's HQ on edge for 18-24 months, and you have...the RLX 5G Legend.
OK, gotcha!
OTOH, this could also be viewed as REALLY poor marketing. It's completely acceptable to maintain your own product design/development plan but, if you don't assertively market that product any success will be accidental.
The Acura line has a totally different demographic than Honda.
Case in point, there's an Acura dealer in southwest LI that is on par with a "Buy here/Pay here" lot, no exaggeration.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
I bet you will see the suspension tweaked for 2015.
Fabvsix (05-28-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced

[QUOTE=neuronbob;15023323]Or....
1. Like the last RL, make an A-Spec option for those of us who want a little sport. Acura knows how to do it.
2. Or adjustable suspension like on MDX.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced

lol... nuts! Was trying to quote neuronbob, but yeah I'd like to have had an adjustable suspension on my RLX. I've taken the "long way home" a few times now and felt the suspension was a bit soft on my favorite off-ramp. I wish the "sport" button also included settings for the suspension but it seems like it only tightens the steering and re-maps the transmission shift points. It's not your Father's Oldsmobile but it ain't your crazy uncle's 911 either. Don't get me wrong; I love this car and the ride but it's not as sporty as the 2013 Tl Sh-AWD loaner I once drove and maybe it wasn't meant to be. But I'll be 56 next month and I'm not as sporty as I used to be either. Gorgeous automobile; I'm happy and it's a keeper.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
When I read the Consumer Reports annual auto issue this year, I was surprised to see how many times "poor ride quality" was mentioned for so many different vehicles (not just Hondas). I don't remember this being such a widespread issue before. I haven't driven the RLX but I do know my '13 Accord was waaaaaay too stiff and uncomfortable and that was the primary reason I got rid of it so fast. At first I thought it was just because the car was new. After a couple of months I couldn't stand it anymore. It's like Honda has forgotten how to tune a suspension - my 3G TL had almost a perfect balance of handling and ride comfort.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 4thaccord
When I read the Consumer Reports annual auto issue this year, I was surprised to see how many times "poor ride quality" was mentioned for so many different vehicles (not just Hondas). I don't remember this being such a widespread issue before. I haven't driven the RLX but I do know my '13 Accord was waaaaaay too stiff and uncomfortable and that was the primary reason I got rid of it so fast. At first I thought it was just because the car was new. After a couple of months I couldn't stand it anymore. It's like Honda has forgotten how to tune a suspension - my 3G TL had almost a perfect balance of handling and ride comfort.
One has to wonder if there are numerous factors here. The degrading condition of US roads? Also Consumer Reports is based in the NE so the roads up there are far from ideal. Also as car makers look to cut costs and minimize the complexities of their suspensions is that factoring in?
Old 05-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by KeithL
One has to wonder if there are numerous factors here. The degrading condition of US roads? Also Consumer Reports is based in the NE so the roads up there are far from ideal. Also as car makers look to cut costs and minimize the complexities of their suspensions is that factoring in?
The CR test track is where they form their first opinions about a car's ride quality. It's not a great road course insofar as the idea of competitive driving goes, but it's fine for just tooling around and testing how a car responds to different kinds of curves, reducing radius corners, undulating roads (seriously, there's a part of their test track that's just for that), and different kinds of pavement.

What CR have said about the current generation Accord is controversial, however.

CR says that the Accord (especially both versions of the Hybrid) are noisy and harsh, whereas people who might tend to look at things more like the typical Honda enthusiast (like Brian at CNET) want to praise the "firmness" of the suspension.

CR never disguises the fact that as soon as their writers start writing and talking, it's their opinions and you have to take it with a grain of salt and try it out yourself before you say for sure.

I trust CR's facts and figures, but that's the only thing that I take at 100% face value.

And although I love how Brian at CNET does reviews, and love how very much time Alex Dykes will take talking about a car he has his hands on, the bottom line is that it's all somebody else's opinion, and it's not like any of them know to drive as well as PD Cunningham. :-)

I listen to them all, but my own personal opinion and experience trumps them all!
hondamore (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 10:31 AM
AcurAdmirer

I think most of us value a little firmness in the suspension when it comes to mountain curves, rapid direction changes, etc, because it reduces sway and roll.

But when that firmness means your teeth get crunched together when you hit a sharp pavement crack going straight ahead at 30 mph, or the spare tire around your waist jiggles like Dolly Partin on what looks like a smooth road, it loses some of its luster.

I don't want a car that wallows like a whale, but I drive every day on roads that make my RLX's suspension crash and thump and jiggle like a much cheaper car. I've had cars that did a better job of handling bumps and still delivering good handling (namely, 4 different BMW's), and I think Acura needs to do some work on the RLX.

If mine weren't leased, and if I had a lot of loose change rattling around in my pockets, I'd take it to a suspension specialist and get some softer springs and more reactive shocks. Maybe even air suspension. For me, the only thing keeping this from being a world-class car is the ride.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
I have to agree completely with Mike on this one. You don't hear me complain much about it because where I live and do most of my driving (North Atlanta) the roads are predominantly well maintained and kept. And lots of winding back-roads that are generally very smooth and well kept. So for me 90% of my drive time in my RLX just feels great.

That other 10% is where it shouts out very loud and clear that the suspension is not very good. That 10% is made up of either occasional broken or degraded pavement, flat out potholes, sunken manhole covers, and other "bad" road bugs. And with the driving I do daily to and from work I pretty much know each and every area of my commute path to avoid because it just feels like my car is going to break. Take a drive into the city and oh my god it's even worse. Any time I drive into Atlanta I'm constantly cringing from how bad you feel tossed around and bumped when you hit some bad areas.

My 06 TL was NEVER like this. I drove my TL from 2008 to 2013 living in downtown Atlanta and never felt like I was driving anything but a nice luxury sport sedan. I distinctly remember that for the first 2-3 weeks that I had my RLX where I was still living in my condo in downtown Atlanta (before I moved out to North Atlanta area), I remember the first time I drove it home from the dealership in Tallahassee FL and came into town and was surprised how bumpy things were on roads I was used to driving on my TL for all those years.

The 3G TL suspension had a solid, firm yet soft and muted "thud" when you hit something. There was no constant bobbing and bouncing aftershock and just general "clumsiness" like you feel in the RLX when dealing with the same type of conditions. That's how the RLX feels, like a bobbling puppet on drawstrings, with no ability to stabilize itself quickly enough.

In the end, I live with these things since ultimately I am leasing, and it's exactly these types of issues coupled with the cost of these types of vehicles that have lead me to keep leasing here on out.

Last edited by holografique; 05-30-2014 at 11:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
Mike_TX (05-30-2014), weather (05-31-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 12:32 AM
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Hey Mike,

I unfortunately have to agree with you. I want to love the RLX, but I don't. I drive a 2011 Acura RL Advance, and their are quite a few reasons I didn't buy an RLX. First ofF, the acceleration is horrible, the car is slower than a Honda Accord. Also, handling, the Acuras with SH-AWD handle great. But come on, this P-AWS system on the RLX, doesn't do anything, the car just handles horrible. So you'd expect the suspension to be great, but it's a disappointment's. You really feel every bump and imperfection in the road.

None of this is the case in my 2011 RL. The acceleration is smooth, it handles great in all weather conditions, and the suspension is really soft, you hardly feel the road, even on bad pavement. I don't get how they are selling these cars for 60k? It just drives horribly.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:26 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen, it is very simple. The suspension of the 2014 RLX is defective. It remains unclear whether it is a design defect, material specification issue, manufacturing process error or all of the above. Reportedly, Acura is in the process of attempting to fix it, but thus far, they have not.
Unless this defect is corrected, there is no way this vehicle will be successful in the market. The only way they are currently able to move them off the lot is with very heavy discounting. In fact, the best thing Acura can do right now is stop production and sale of the car until it is fixed. Otherwise, this defect-combined with the constant delays to the launch of the hybrid awd version- are potentially damaging the brand beyond repair. Even more disturbing is the fact that there seems to be a catastrophic disconnect between the automotive press's and owners' reaction to this defect and Acura management's perception and response to the problem. Production and sale of the vehicle was launched with the knowledge that the suspension was defective. How does that happen?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
I'm waiting with cautious optimism to see what Acura determines as resolution for this problem. It's definitely unfortunate that something like this slipped, but there is no point harping on that any longer. We are where we are, and at this point what's important is how they move forward.

I'm just grateful Acura has acknowledged the issue and more importantly - is working towards a resolution.