It's been awhile

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021 | 11:56 AM
Advanced

It's been awhile

Greetings Fellow RLX SH Owners. It's been a while since I've posted, I haven't been spending much time on the board. Wanted to share my most recent RLX experience, it happened yesterday. I took my RLX (2017 CPO car) into the dealer for service, I'm getting ready to take a road trip to Phoenix. I bought the car in 2019 with a little over 17K miles on it. It's showing just short of 23K miles on it. It's a weekend driver. I've never had any electrical issues with this car, not one.

So, I report into the Service Guy, and he proceeds to tell me that I have a recall on the car, it's a software upgrade related to the emissions system. Yeah great, I'm focused on the fluids, and tires. Checking the car out for the road trip. I walk around the lot, go over to the Honda Dealer, it's next door, drink a cup of their shitty coffee, and finally sit in the waiting area. People are getting burned out with this mask bullshit, a lot folks not wearing them. Fine by me, I've already caught the Kung Flu. I'm sitting there playing chess on my phone when another service guy comes over and sits down next to me. He tells me that something has glitched the software upgrade and the car isn't recognizing the four-wheel drive system. The Acura Tech Support doesn't work on Saturdays, the car is un-driveable, they're going to give me a loaner and I'll net my ride back on Tuesday.

The loaner is a 2021 TLX SH-AWD. I's got a four banger, it sounds like a four banger, low end grunt is anemic, the car feels a bit on the cheap side, it just doesn't have that solid clunk you get with the RLX when you close the doors. I would never buy one. I'd go get an ES 350 every day of the week over this car. It'll be interesting to see what Acura will do now that the RLX is no more. They don't have a sedan I'd be interested in. Hopped over to Car Gurus, RLX SHs are very, very, very affordable. A 2020 RLX SH-AWD can be had for cheaper than what I paid for my car in 2019, and I got a pretty good deal. Maybe the fact the car won't be made anymore is affecting pricing.
Old 02-28-2021 | 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

So the dealer glitched your car? That sucks. Agree largely with you on the new TLX vs the outgoing RLX, which is why I’m looking for one again. The new TLX is not a bad car at all IMO, just small back seat. The turbo 2.0 engine is pretty stout, but compared to your RLXSH, low end torque is wanting. Compared to the old J35 by itself, torque is a bit more.

You have to recognize that Acura is on fire right now in the SUV space. Basically, if you want more room, or a V6, you are steered toward the MDX. Most Americans are buying SUVs. There’s no place for a high-end sedan anymore at Acura. It’s not Acura’s fault per se, it’s the overall market wanting SUVs.

It’s pretty sad.
Old 02-28-2021 | 03:13 PM
Burning Brakes

2018-2020 RLX Sport Hybrid is a killer deal of a lifetime right now. I'm so glad I picked up one. Super sleeper car with all the bells and whistle with mind-boggling acceleration. For some strange reason Acura did not promote this car well. Most people don't even know it exists. And now that it's discontinued, it's your last chance to pick up one of the last Sport Hybrid made. Acura probably will not make anymore Sport Hybrid, I hope not though.

Last edited by jdpdata; 02-28-2021 at 03:16 PM.