Introduction - I just bought a 2104 SH-RLX

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 11:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Introduction - I just bought a 2104 SH-RLX

I just purchased this car, from about 10 hours away. It is/was for sale in N. Alabama, and I live in Tampa. I am very anxious to get it. It should be arriving by Wednesday. I wanted to make a formal (internet) introduction, and I'm sure I will have a ton of questions (like where can I get carpet floor mats at a decent price ).

Back in the day I owned a 2006 3.2 TL and I was VERY impressed by it. I bought that car used with around 80,000 miles on it, and that was my very first "luxury" vehicle.

I've never bought a brand new vehicle, although I have leased a new Tundra and es350. After the lease for the Tundra was up, I bought a used one which I am still driving (I would only give it up for a newer Tundra). And, the es350's lease will be up next week.

My wife was adamant that she didn't like "Hondas or Acuras", until I got her to test drive a 2016 Advanced RLX. Even though we only got to experience a fraction of the features, she fell in love. And, it didnt hurt Acura's chances by having Lexus dick us around when we inquired about another lease. That and the newer interiors look horrid with the brown colors......

My only regret, so far, about the car we just purchased is that its only a Tech package, and not the Advanced. But, with the miles on it, the performance of the hybrid, and the price (I paid less than advertised), I could not pass this one up. The 4 year warranty begin date did not start until October 2015.

So far the transaction has been very smooth, and I plan to leave RAVE reviews if everything turns out as good as I think it will.

I can't wait to get this car in my hands

Hmmm...the link wont post but you can look it up here.

Jerry Damson Acura - Jerry Damson Acura Home
Old 05-27-2016, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Congratulations cell6ida!! You bought yourself a very rare and amazing vehicle - Enjoy (if you can wrestle the keys away from your wife).
Old 05-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Congratulations!

I guess I will no longer be the sole SH in the Tampa Bay area. Does that qualify as a 'meet'?

I do not see the car you describe on the Dealer website. Perhaps they already removed it from the inventory. However, they do have a 2016 SH Advance in the same color trim as mine! Did you pass on that one? I noted the VIN was 321, likely one of the last ones built for MY 2016.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

2014 Acura RLX Hunstville, AL

See if this link works.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:58 AM
Intermediate

I chose the SH based upon all the reviews I read online, and on this site. But I've never had the chance to test drive one. I can't wait!
Old 05-27-2016, 12:02 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by cell6ida
2014 Acura RLX Hunstville, AL

See if this link works.
Got it. Very nice, low miles and looks pristine. The VIN # indicates it was one of the last of the 2014 build out of SHs.

We may make statistical history for the number of SHs within a certain location. This could be BIG! Really BIG!

Sent you a PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Congratulation!

I know you will love it, just like the rest of us! Drive it in good health!

Great price by the way!
Old 05-27-2016, 12:38 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Welcome aboard. While the Sport Hybrids have had fewer TSBs you might want to see which ones have been done on your ride. I have had the headlights replaced [safety issue], the Home Link relocated [to improve its range] and a noise problem in the B pillar repaired. I also plan to have the center console cover replaced [won't slide closed when slid back] and the Acura Link system updated for the Red light issue.

Overall despite a few issues and a still sluggish infotainment system, I love the car. I have 18,000 miles and still look forward to every time I get into it.

You are a very trusting buyer to purchase the Sport Hybrid without ever driving it. I hope you feel the same way as most of the Sport Hybrid drivers on AZ but I expect you will. It is hard not to like the performance and handling characteristics. Give yourself a little time to get used to the way the car drives because the "drive by wire" and the electric motors give the car a substantially different "feel" than anything you have probably experienced before.

Look forward to hearing about your thoughts and experiences.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

Thanks,

I assume if I have any of these problems they will be fixed under the warranty, is that correct?

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
Welcome aboard. While the Sport Hybrids have had fewer TSBs you might want to see which ones have been done on your ride. I have had the headlights replaced [safety issue], the Home Link relocated [to improve its range] and a noise problem in the B pillar repaired. I also plan to have the center console cover replaced [won't slide closed when slid back] and the Acura Link system updated for the Red light issue.

Overall despite a few issues and a still sluggish infotainment system, I love the car. I have 18,000 miles and still look forward to every time I get into it.

You are a very trusting buyer to purchase the Sport Hybrid without ever driving it. I hope you feel the same way as most of the Sport Hybrid drivers on AZ but I expect you will. It is hard not to like the performance and handling characteristics. Give yourself a little time to get used to the way the car drives because the "drive by wire" and the electric motors give the car a substantially different "feel" than anything you have probably experienced before.

Look forward to hearing about your thoughts and experiences.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
That is correct.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:39 PM
Intermediate

How difficult would it be to add some of the things that come on the Advanced package? Things like the rear and side shades, and switching out the ELS for Krell?

I assume getting heated rear seats, and air circulated front seats, would be quite a hassel and not worth the cost.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Welcome and congratulations. You are now a member of a very select club, driving one of the best kept secrets in automobile history. My 2014 SH-AWD is the best car I have ever owned, and I look forward to every time I have to drive it, still after 18 months. Great car. Enjoy!
Old 05-27-2016, 05:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

How difficult would it be to add some of the things that come on the Advanced package? Things like the rear and side shades, and switching out the ELS for Krell?

I assume getting heated rear seats, and air circulated front seats, would be quite a hassel and not worth the cost.

Thanks
All replacement parts are ridiculously expensive and the labor costs to install them would make the entire process prohibitively expensive - it would likely be cheaper to buy a new 2016 Advance.
Your Tech version still has the exact same drivetrain as the Advance and THAT is where the real joy of this car comes from.
My two cents.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hondamore
All replacement parts are ridiculously expensive and the labor costs to install them would make the entire process prohibitively expensive - it would likely be cheaper to buy a new 2016 Advance.
Your Tech version still has the exact same drivetrain as the Advance and THAT is where the real joy of this car comes from.
My two cents.
This is what I figured...oh well I guess i will have to "settle" for a lower luxury...ha
Old 05-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^You've only "settled" for paying a heck of a lot less than most of us. Great deal, great car. Have fun.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (06-01-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 08:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hondamore
^^You've only "settled" for paying a heck of a lot less than most of us. Great deal, great car. Have fun.
I can't wait.

Less than 6,000 miles, and I paid less than was advertised. I'm not trying to brag, but I got a VERY good deal that I could not pass up! I was very lucky. In the past I let a few good deals slip away by taking too long to think about whether or not I should buy. But not this time. I'm sure that if I had waited even 1 extra day, it would have ben GONE.

It should be here late Tuesday or early Wednesday. Now I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas again.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Beautiful car. I love the light colored interior! Hope you enjoy your new RLX SH-Hybrid. I think you got an awesome deal.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Welcome to the board! I have a Tech and don't miss the Advance extras for one minute. I was hooked in the first 50 yards of driving from the dealer. You will too. Caution though, you will need to control your right foot as you will find yourself accelerating much faster than you intended very often. There is a stately sneaky aspect to the throttle and it is so immediate that your passenger may feel you are hitting the gas harder than you intended so their head may bobble. You will have to give the car some time to get used to it because the brakes and throttle are much more responsive than most any car you have ever driven previously. We will teach you about getting the most out of sport mode when you are ready as I don't want to bombard you with too much before you get it. You will also learn how to finesse the best gas mileage possible with experience. We will teach you about that too. Basically you are about to have a LOT of fun! Enjoy and welcome!
The following users liked this post:
cell6ida (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 07:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Welcome to the board! I have a Tech and don't miss the Advance extras for one minute. I was hooked in the first 50 yards of driving from the dealer. You will too. Caution though, you will need to control your right foot as you will find yourself accelerating much faster than you intended very often. There is a stately sneaky aspect to the throttle and it is so immediate that your passenger may feel you are hitting the gas harder than you intended so their head may bobble. You will have to give the car some time to get used to it because the brakes and throttle are much more responsive than most any car you have ever driven previously. We will teach you about getting the most out of sport mode when you are ready as I don't want to bombard you with too much before you get it. You will also learn how to finesse the best gas mileage possible with experience. We will teach you about that too. Basically you are about to have a LOT of fun! Enjoy and welcome!

How good is the ELS stereo?
Old 05-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I think it is very good. It is very strong in the mid range so pumping up the treble and bass to equalize it I think is needed. I typically have the settings as follows:
  • Treble = +3
  • Bass = +3
  • Sub = +3
  • Center = +2
It has a softer tweeter than the sharpness of the Krell. To my taste I prefer the ELS over the Krell. I think it is loads better than the system in the BMW 750 system.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:19 PM
Intermediate

Ok, sounds good. I can't wait to get it!
Old 05-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
ELS was the best car stereo I'd experienced until I got my current car.

ELS is more than fine for almost everything you'd want to do, and the added expense of the Krell mightn't be worth it for most people.

(If that's all you're thinking about, and never-minding other parts of the Advance Package.)
Old 05-29-2016, 03:51 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Congrats!

I drove a '14 identical to yours last week but, Advance. Quite impressive, I'm seriously considering a '16 but, my friend now tells me that I should make an offer on his friends '14.
I'm not sure what a realistic offer might be?
Old 05-31-2016, 04:02 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts

Very fine. In the TL (4G) it was acclaimed as the best luxury car sound system. 99% (me included) will have zero complaints with it.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I think you'll be fine with the ELS. For 2014, the Advance trim had the adaptive cruise with low speed follow-through and the Krell system. I enjoy my Krell system but would have been just fine with the ELS given previous experience in my 3G TL.

The main thing you will miss from the Advance is the truly amazing adaptive cruise control. All that means, though, is that you have to drive the car by yourself, and in this car that is not a penalty. Enjoy!
Old 06-02-2016, 12:34 AM
Advanced

Congrads on the ride and welcome aboard. The wife and I just purchased our 14 tech RLX in February and have really enjoyed it. The ELS is more than enough for our tastes. I think even an 18 yr old would be impressed. Like the others have stated check the town's and ensure they have been taken care of. I assure you the ride will be amazeing