Interesting observations on MDX vs RLX

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Interesting observations on MDX vs RLX

So my RLX is in the shop getting it's routine oil change (and checking out the waterpump alignment issue). They gave me a loaner MDX SH-AWD for the evening and have found some interesting things about it compared to the RLX.

* The new IDS system is nice. It instantly changes the response of the steering wheel and throttle response, but I couldn't tell if there was any change to the suspension. The "Sport" mode definitely tightens up the steering, whereas the "Comfort" mode feels light and soft like the RLX. What bugs me is why in the hell does the RLX not have IDS? They are both 2014 models...and yet again here we have a feature that is in a lower priced vehicle and not present in thelr flagship sedan....

* The Navigation system responds much faster in the MDX than in my RLX. I need to check and see if it's running the same software version as my RLX, but if it is, then the processing power in the MDX system is definitely beefier giving a more fluid response to using the jog shuttle wheel or the tactile buttons.

* Love the powered rear trunk door. Again, why doesn't the RLX have this??

* I've said it before, and I'll probably get some BS response about it again, but for a normal every-day driver, even a "spirited" every-day driver, I just don't feel a major difference with SH-AWD versus P-AWS. I'm sure in more extreme conditions (or on a track) it's a major difference, but for suburban driving, I just don't see the value. I took my normal route home, which includes some winding back roads, intersate on/off ramps, and some nice tight turns, and after taking it with the same spirited driving I do in my RLX, I felt the RLX P-AWS handled it all just as well (if not tigher) than the MDX. Now it's probably not fair to compare the MDX and RLX since it's an entirely different chassis, size, weight, etc. but I guess I just expected more out of the SH-AWD system in this case.

* The same 3.5L V6 DI engine performs just like it does in my RLX. I might even go as far to say that it seems slightly tuned better in the MDX for better torque and pick-up when accelerating from 0mph. But overall it feels the same. Unfortunately...it's just as noisy as the RLX :|

* The MDX interior ambient lighting (foot wells) stays lit once the doors are closed adding a nice added touch to the luxury feel when driving at night. Again (I know it's getting old)...why doesn't the RLX do this??

* The back seat A/C controls are far more functional than in the RLX. In the MDX you literally get an entirely separate A/C control dashboard, complete with LED readouts, temp controls, auto on/off, fan speed, etc. etc. Need I say it again?.....why not in the RLX???

Overall the MDX is really nice. The part that kills me is that it is an SH-AWD Base model with Navigation, yet it had a number of what I considered value-add features that the top trim of their flagship sedan doesn't offer (RLX Advanced). This type of stuff really disappoints me when I think about the amount of money I pay monthly to drive what is supposed to be their elite vehicle.

Acura really needs to get their act together in this regards. It will be interesting to see if any of these things have been improved in the 2015 models.

Last edited by holografique; 05-07-2014 at 10:29 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by holografique:
Acura_Dude (05-09-2014), anoldpunk (05-09-2014), hondamore (05-08-2014), neuronbob (05-08-2014), TampaRLX-SH (05-08-2014), victorber (05-08-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

oh yea, another difference...

* The transmission and paddle shifters seem to be calibrated differently than the RLX. In Sport Mode (not IDS Sport, but Sport Mode), you can definitely get it into 6th gear at a much lower RPM than you can in the RLX. (You smiling George? )
The following users liked this post:
victorber (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 07:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Good information....Thanks holografique. I do hear you on the RLX and their supposedly "flagship". I think the TLX will makes things a bit worst for you but its nothing that the former RL owners experienced at the expense of the TL owners.

Its really bizarre that the RLX doesn't have unique things that only make it to lesser model once that generation gets to at least the MMC. I am not saying all the goodies but they should keep one or two RLX exclusive features. And lets not bring the SH-SH-AWD *lol*
Old 05-08-2014, 07:43 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Interesting notes, thanks for sharing. I think you'll find IDS will make an appearance in 2015 or 2016 -- remember the RLX was in development a year or two before the MDX, so a lot of agreements were already hammered out. It's not an excuse, but may be a reason why the RLX is behind in tech.

As for the rear A/C, is that a package in the MDX? Did your loaner have screens in the back too? I think it may be an option package. Nice to have, but not necessary

Thanks for sharing.

Chris
Old 05-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
In Sport Mode (not IDS Sport, but Sport Mode), you can definitely get it into 6th gear at a much lower RPM than you can in the RLX. (You smiling George? )
Indeed. I am.

:-)
Old 05-08-2014, 08:04 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Thats not cool for the flagship car
Old 05-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
You make some great points. For the record, the rear seat HVAC controls in the MDX have been there since the last generation so that is not a new feature.

Our MDX an RLX seem to exhibit similar delays on the touchscreen, so I suspect that this is a software version issue.
victorber (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 09:28 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Wait a minute ... what is this water pump alignment issue of which you speak?

Old 05-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I tend to agree with your observations holographique.

I drove the MDX the same day I drove the PAWS RLX.

I found the MDX ride was smoother, less jittery and more comfortable over poor roads. I expected it to be more cumbersome than a sedan but in fact found it more relaxing. Perhaps the greater clearance and wheel travel of the MDX allow it to be stable, but I found the rear end of the PAWS RLX to bob up and down too much, which translated into less seat & ride comfort. On smooth road cruising, the RLX was only slightly more refined and quieter.

Similarly the content is nearly on par, or exceeds the RLX as you point out, plus the bonus of space, utility, higher seating position and availability of SHAWD. The RLX interior materials exceed the MDX, but not by much and the MDX having that utility ability more than makes up for it. Now that the Advance MDX has rear shades and better climate control controls, it exceeds the RLX for rear pax comfort IMHO.

I am still watching to see what becomes of the SH RLX, but the Advance SHAWD MDX is solidifying as 'Plan B'. I would need only one car and the MDX can manage the kayaks and bikes while offering me an RL/RLX like experience.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by CFoote
As for the rear A/C, is that a package in the MDX? Did your loaner have screens in the back too? I think it may be an option package. Nice to have, but not necessary

Thanks for sharing.

Chris
The rear A/C system comes standard on all MDX models. Very nice feature to have.

OP, I am with you on this. Acura needs to get their acts together. The RLX is supposedly top of the line Acura. The RDX doesn't even have rear AC vents if that makes you feel any better
Old 05-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
yes, trizone climate control (driver / pax / rear) is standard on all trim models.

http://www.tampabay.com/resources/im...35947_8col.jpg
Old 05-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Unfortunately, Acura let this happen on the previous generation RLs as well. They continued to use the DVD based Navigation and a lower resolution screen after the other cars in the Acura lineup went to a hard drive based system with better resolution. I was surprised when I bought my 2010 RL that the rear backup camera still lacked the gridlines that were already on a TL loaner car I had driven. Also, if I remember correctly the RL was one of the last vehicles to get a USB input for the audio system. Despite our wishfull thinking it seems like they wait at least until the MMC to make these updates if at all. For instance, the RL got the USB input but kept the older generation nav and backup camera.

Last edited by NWRL; 05-08-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:10 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I heard a story years ago about Ford, although it applies to all manufacturers.

It seems that a new production engineer came onboard and when he saw how they were doing the wiring he called Henry (Ford). He told Ford that if the workers would just pull the wires tighter they could save a couple of feet of wire on every car. That doesn't sound like much, but when multiplied by millions of cars, a couple of feet of wire adds up to miles of it.

The bottom line was that that one suggestion saved Ford Motor Company millions of dollars and got the engineer a big bonus check.

The point is that Acura has to watch it pennies like everyone else, and if it's committed to a certain quantity of a component like a nav screen or a backup camera, it can't just drop it and use a newer one. It has to use the contracted number and make the change at the next model change.

In addition, it's not as easy as just tossing the new one in ... it's often necessary to change other components to accommodate a new part, and little things like a different wire connector or bracket can involve lots of time and engineering, as well as cost.

We all get frustrated when something new appears and not all models get it right away, but there are reasons for it.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
the SAME apply's to the 2004 Acura RL that came LOADED with EVERYTHING whether you wanted it or not....however previous models (03, 02, 01 RL etc) you had to pay extra for Navi, the better sound systems and so on.....so those who waited for the 04 got all the bells and whistles so they could RID all that inventory that was NOT going into the ALL new 05 ____> RL......... so patience can be golden......
Old 05-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

And I currently own both an 04 RL and an 07 MDX Sport. Yes the MDX is KING on the highway compared to RL... two different animals/technologies.....but RL is much quieter than MDX. AC in RL blows the AC out in MDX. Heater seat in RL blows away the heated seats in MDX. Stereo system it way better in MDX. Leather in RL WAY WAY better than MDX. REAL WOOD in RL FAUX wood in MDX....Fit and Finish on RL runs circles around the poor F&F on MDX, but I'm over it...The MDX is mechanically solid and that is most important to me. RL is ROCK SOLID BULLET PROOF 8 year production MULE.....
Nuff said.....
I was hoping the new RLX would have been more exciting on the outside but it remains very conservative.....
Old 05-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Bottom line the new MDX is their top seller....its going to have more than the RLX.....The RL was NEVER intended to be a volume seller.....SOS from Japan with the RLX......conservative all the way around...
Old 05-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

AND the second Generation HONDA LEGEND (in Japan), Acura RL (in USA) had MORE features than the US Model...... FACT......
Old 05-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Our MDX an RLX seem to exhibit similar delays on the touchscreen, so I suspect that this is a software version issue.
Interesting. The crappy part is I completely forgot to check the software version running on the loaner before I turned it in. doh.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
Interesting. The crappy part is I completely forgot to check the software version running on the loaner before I turned it in. doh.

I notice delays on both the touchscreen as well as the top screen using the knob. I hope they can fix this with sw update as it borders on unusable. It is certainly frustating
holografique (05-09-2014)