How does RLX ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 06:22 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does RLX ride?

I love the tech of the Advanced Package. My test ride over smooth roads selected by dealer was fine. However, several reports indicate ride was harsh.

This is a deal killer for me if true. What do you have to say (especially those who own the RLX)?

This from Edmunds test drive http://www.edmunds.com/acura/rlx/2014/?sub=sedan

"The RLX doesn't ride with the same composure as other sedans in this class. When fitted with the 19-inch wheels, it feels harsh when driving over rough patches at low speeds, while the ride on the highway can be bouncy. Only on truly smooth pavement does the RLX ride like a luxury sedan. Take it around a few turns, and the big Acura is steady but not particularly athletic. The steering is precise, though, and the car's standard rear-wheel steering system subtly and effectively steers the rear wheels ever so slightly to help the RLX get around tight corners."

This from Consumers Reports:

"Surely, you think, it must drive nicely? After all, Honda is an accomplished company with some racing pedigree. But, alas, the car neither coddles nor thrills. Abrupt short pitches mar the ride and undermine any sort of luxury experience. Suspension noise further detracts. Handling lacks agility and the steering is numb, sucking away any driving enjoyment"
Old 04-15-2013, 06:34 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
^^the CR review was an overall negative review.

everyone's driving experience will be subjective. i'm not sure you wil find too many RLX owners here...the car is too new and the majority of the demographic of this car don't really lurk around on enthusiasts forums. most enthusiasts (many here and in the those car reviews) may have been expecting too much for the RLX to be like a BMW.

based on my test drive of the tech model, i thought the ride was smooth and much more plush when compared to the stiffer sport suspension of my TL. and i feel that this is the way it should feel for this type of car ("executive sedan"). i drove around on roads that were smooth and rough due to some construction, it felt a little numb, but not so much you're not disconnected from the road.

the wheel size from the base vs the advance can have a small impact on ride comfort, but so can tires.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
^^the CR review was an overall negative review.

everyone's driving experience will be subjective. i'm not sure you wil find too many RLX owners here...the car is too new and the majority of the demographic of this car don't really lurk around on enthusiasts forums. most enthusiasts (many here and in the those car reviews) may have been expecting too much for the RLX to be like a BMW.

based on my test drive of the tech model, i thought the ride was smooth and much more plush when compared to the stiffer sport suspension of my TL. and i feel that this is the way it should feel for this type of car ("executive sedan"). i drove around on roads that were smooth and rough due to some construction, it felt a little numb, but not so much you're not disconnected from the road.

the wheel size from the base vs the advance can have a small impact on ride comfort, but so can tires.
I hear is term "executive sedan" a lot. I am an executive (VP) in a large company. Executive does not mean dead or nearing retirement (I am 50 years old). I still would like something that has some sport and is fun to drive.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I found it very comfortable and forgiving. It's also Lexus-like in terms of road and wind noise.

I owned an '02 RL and several TL's for comparison.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:48 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by GoHawks
I hear is term "executive sedan" a lot. I am an executive (VP) in a large company. Executive does not mean dead or nearing retirement (I am 50 years old). I still would like something that has some sport and is fun to drive.
well...to enthusiasts "executive sedan" does not exude sporty or fun drive. i dont' think it's meant to imply that everyone in a certain demographic falls into that category in terms of "executive." now if we categorized it as a "performance" sedan or a "performance executive" sedan, then i would expect something a little more fun to drive.

the RLX is aimed at more cushy and luxury over exclusive sporty and performance, i would think. i'm sure the AWD version will appeal more to the performance side of things which would most likely suit most of the enthusiasts here. just as the TLX (i hope) will be geared to the sporty side and luxury, but not quite RLX posh.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
well...to enthusiasts "executive sedan" does not exude sporty or fun drive. i dont' think it's meant to imply that everyone in a certain demographic falls into that category in terms of "executive." now if we categorized it as a "performance" sedan or a "performance executive" sedan, then i would expect something a little more fun to drive.

the RLX is aimed at more cushy and luxury over exclusive sporty and performance, i would think. i'm sure the AWD version will appeal more to the performance side of things which would most likely suit most of the enthusiasts here. just as the TLX (i hope) will be geared to the sporty side and luxury, but not quite RLX posh.
Speaking from my senior executive experience, there are two types of executive sedans:

1. Ones that you want to driven in the back seat in and
2. Ones that you would like to drive

Very few sedans pull off both competently. Most lean one way or the other. Seems like the RLX does neither. Sure the back seat is roomier now, but I rather be driven around in a Town Car with a huge back seat or even a Suburban over a RLX. The Equus looks like a good limo sedan from the pictures someone posted.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Maybe the RLX is more of a "techie sedan," its own category.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

acura carving it's own niche...
Old 04-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Instructor

acura carving it's own niche...
Would that be a small niche.....
Old 04-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by noobie
Would that be a small niche.....
Yes, it s a small niche, but a possibly profitable one. If I buy an RLX, it will be because of its tech features. If I'm going to be in stop-and-go traffic, it would be nice to have low-speed follow that does the slowing down and speeding up for me. That will save wear and tear on my right knee. Having a car that can read my text messages to me is a plus, especially in a state where it is illegal to even think about texting. And of course, a hybrid engine that puts out 370 horsepower while maintaining 30 MPG is a great techie feature.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Yes, it s a small niche, but a possibly profitable one. If I buy an RLX, it will be because of its tech features. If I'm going to be in stop-and-go traffic, it would be nice to have low-speed follow that does the slowing down and speeding up for me. That will save wear and tear on my right knee. Having a car that can read my text messages to me is a plus, especially in a state where it is illegal to even think about texting. And of course, a hybrid engine that puts out 370 horsepower while maintaining 30 MPG is a great techie feature.
Those are handy features if you value them. Seems like the RLX could fit your needs well. Though small volume usually means little to negative profits unless you are an exotic or specialty manufacturer.

You planning to buy one? Would interested in a review.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
The low-speed follow component of the ACC is a very attractive feature to me.
I have had a couple of close calls in right hand turn lanes when the vehicle in front starts to go and then "chickens out" and slams on the brakes and, because my attention has turned to the traffic I'm attempting to merge into (thinking the vehicle in front has gone), I've nearly rear ended the "chicken". The low-speed follow feature of the RLX would save my heart the shock of the near miss and save me a clean pair of underwear.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hondamore
The low-speed follow component of the ACC is a very attractive feature to me.
I have had a couple of close calls in right hand turn lanes when the vehicle in front starts to go and then "chickens out" and slams on the brakes and, because my attention has turned to the traffic I'm attempting to merge into (thinking the vehicle in front has gone), I've nearly rear ended the "chicken". The low-speed follow feature of the RLX would save my heart the shock of the near miss and save me a clean pair of underwear.

For me, low speed follow will save me wear and tear on my knee, especially on the 101 (which I hate) or i880 (which I hate even more).
Old 04-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by noobie
Those are handy features if you value them. Seems like the RLX could fit your needs well. Though small volume usually means little to negative profits unless you are an exotic or specialty manufacturer.

You planning to buy one? Would interested in a review.
I'm at least a year away from buying anything. I've test driven the Infiniti M twice and the Lexus GS. Both are impressive cars. Let's see what the RLX's sport hybrid AWD can do.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (04-22-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
After driving my Advanced for a week I'd describe the ride as "comfortable". Much more comfortable than our '08 TL or the '09 TL that I traded in. If I want a little more "fun" feel then I punch the Sport button. I am particularly impressed with the way the car takes high-speed curves. I can definitely feel the positive impact of P-AWS implementation.

I would love to be living in Germany again with this car. I can just image how much more comfortable the drive from Bremerhaven to Munich would be.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
I'm at least a year away from buying anything. I've test driven the Infiniti M twice and the Lexus GS. Both are impressive cars. Let's see what the RLX's sport hybrid AWD can do.
What is your opinion of the 2 you have driven?
Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KeithL
What is your opinion of the 2 you have driven?
Unfortunately, I didn't get to drive the GS as aggressively as I wanted. I think one of the problems of the Lexus brand is that the salesmen don't really know how to sell a sport sedan. Nevertheless, I was impressed with the acceleration and the tightness of the turning radius. However, I think the 2nd generation RL can handle twists and turns better.

I test drove the Infiniti M twice at two different dealerships. It felt a little bit less refined than the GS, which makes since considering that it is an older design. I liked the interior of the M, it was different without being tacky. I feel the same way about the M's exterior. I got a chance to drive the M in simultaneous hills and twists and I think the the RL feels a little bit more planted.

In my opinion, the advantage of both RWD cars over the 2nd generation RL is that they have smaller turning radii, which makes U turns and tight spaces more "doable." Sometimes maneuvering the RL feels like trying to turn a ZDX.