Halo effect in the front windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Halo effect in the front windshield?

I experienced something this morning that I am trying to figure out. I drove the SH and noticed a halo effect surrounding the headlights of every oncoming car and I thought my eyes were playing games with me. I never noticed it before today. I put on my sunglasses even though it was cloudy and the experience went away.

An hour later I drove my MDX and without my sunglasses there was no halo effect on the headlights of the oncoming cars.

Thus my question: Is it possible that the special glass used on the SH for sound reduction purposes is the cause of this halo effect? It is possible my eyes were off this morning, but I have 20-20 vision without glasses. I am not saying something is wrong. It is just an observation. Have any of you experienced the same thing? I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Haven't noted it.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:53 PM
RLX Hybrid #053

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I experienced something this morning that I am trying to figure out. I drove the SH and noticed a halo effect surrounding the headlights of every oncoming car and I thought my eyes were playing games with me. I never noticed it before today. I put on my sunglasses even though it was cloudy and the experience went away.

An hour later I drove my MDX and without my sunglasses there was no halo effect on the headlights of the oncoming cars.

Thus my question: Is it possible that the special glass used on the SH for sound reduction purposes is the cause of this halo effect? It is possible my eyes were off this morning, but I have 20-20 vision without glasses. I am not saying something is wrong. It is just an observation. Have any of you experienced the same thing? I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks guys.
SH, what are you doing looking at oncoming cars' headlights. you're supposed to look to the right line mid way

joking aside, i will check. was it still dark or dusk? also the windshield could have been foggy. i find with the RLX when you set the climate control to auto it turn off the AC. you need the AC on to take the humidity out of the car. make sure its always on specially in winter or your windshield will fog. you also need to have it set to bring fresh air in not recycling.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
The other possible cause of the halo could be some sort of film on the outside of the windshield. For example, if you recently washed your car in a touchless carwash, they often have a wax rinse or protectant sprayed on the car including the windshield. This wax film may contribute to the halo effect you noticed.
Just my guess at a possible cause.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by timmins
SH, what are you doing looking at oncoming cars' headlights. you're supposed to look to the right line mid way

joking aside, i will check. was it still dark or dusk? also the windshield could have been foggy. i find with the RLX when you set the climate control to auto it turn off the AC. you need the AC on to take the humidity out of the car. make sure its always on specially in winter or your windshield will fog. you also need to have it set to bring fresh air in not recycling.
Nope. Windows were clean inside and out, climate control was on auto with the AC on, fresh air not recirculate. It was at 9am and cloudy. Maybe it was just my eye playing tricks on me. I will keep an "eye" on it moving forward. Sorry, bad pun.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hondamore
The other possible cause of the halo could be some sort of film on the outside of the windshield. For example, if you recently washed your car in a touchless carwash, they often have a wax rinse or protectant sprayed on the car including the windshield. This wax film may contribute to the halo effect you noticed.
Just my guess at a possible cause.
I don't do that either. They don't have those around here though. I am nuts about taking care of the car. I trust nobody to touch it.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts
Interesting... yesterday I drove RLX first day and noticed a halo effect from upcoming cars too. Also, side mirrors glass turned a little darker then normal
Old 02-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

My wife noticed it this morning also, so I am not nuts. When I have my Maui Jims on, there are no halo affects. I think the polarization in the glasses makes it go away. I don't know why. BTW I do not see any problems in seeing the HUD or the two screens with these glasses on, even though they are polarized. I think some have complained about that on other threads.

Have any of you discovered that Ralph Lauren has an RLX line of clothing? The logo looks like just about a dead copy of the Acura RLX logo. Is that a trade mark infringement? Where are the attorneys in the room?
Old 02-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
My wife noticed it this morning also, so I am not nuts. When I have my Maui Jims on, there are no halo affects. I think the polarization in the glasses makes it go away. I don't know why. BTW I do not see any problems in seeing the HUD or the two screens with these glasses on, even though they are polarized. I think some have complained about that on other threads.
Very strange. My Maui Jim polarized sunglasses, as well as a pair of RayBan polarized Aviators, have both made it difficult to see the HUD and the lower center screen? I just changed to RayBan non-polarized Aviators and I can see the HUD and the lower center screen normally now. Since it's unlikely that the 250 Sport Hybrids were made with different electronics, this makes no sense to me.

I have not seen any halo effects with any of the polarized or non-polarized glasses.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsmith
Very strange. My Maui Jim polarized sunglasses, as well as a pair of RayBan polarized Aviators, have both made it difficult to see the HUD and the lower center screen? I just changed to RayBan non-polarized Aviators and I can see the HUD and the lower center screen normally now. Since it's unlikely that the 250 Sport Hybrids were made with different electronics, this makes no sense to me.

I have not seen any halo effects with any of the polarized or non-polarized glasses.
Let me correct myself. The HUD and the screens are easily seen with the glasses on, but they are a little dimmer than without. Everything is still very legible.

One question: Why is your number #339? I thought the last three digits denote what production order we are all in. If there are only 250 SH vehicles is it possible that yours was not slated to come to the US?
Old 02-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
One question: Why is your number #339? I thought the last three digits denote what production order we are all in. If there are only 250 SH vehicles is it possible that yours was not slated to come to the US?
This is a question that was much debated in this forum early on among the first buyers. There were, as I recall, several theories but no convincing explanation of the numbering discrepancy.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsmith
This is a question that was much debated in this forum early on among the first buyers. There were, as I recall, several theories but no convincing explanation of the numbering discrepancy.
So does that mean my #142 was not 142nd in the production run? I thought they were produced in order (1,2,3,4,5,6, etc...).