Getting more drivetime in a Tesla today

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 07:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Getting more drivetime in a Tesla today

I am going to a meeting in which Tesla is sponsoring the event. Everyone will get some seat time so I will report back with fact, opinion and pictures later today. I don't know which model will be there, but I'll take the GoPro and phone so I can share with you the experience. Yet another comparison to the RLX-SH.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:29 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
How tall are you?

Something that annoyed me immediately getting in the Tesla Model S was the integral headrests. We learned a long, long time ago that with cars sold in North America, people are just too wide a range of heights for that.

An American might be 5'6", or he might be 6'5" and integral head rests are a mistake.

I'd also be interested in knowing whether they've changed how the seats operate. There was not enough adjustment for me, the adjustments didn't move in enough directions, and there was no good lumbar adjustment.

Be sure you sit in the back, too. My head was against the roof and sitting in the back wouldn't have been an option for me or most of my associates.

Incredible basic idea, but they need somebody who either makes a lot of cars or who makes a lot of consumer goods and knows what his consumers need to take it over.

Apple?

Old 05-28-2015, 08:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton
How tall are you?

Something that annoyed me immediately getting in the Tesla Model S was the integral headrests. We learned a long, long time ago that with cars sold in North America, people are just too wide a range of heights for that.

An American might be 5'6", or he might be 6'5" and integral head rests are a mistake.

I'd also be interested in knowing whether they've changed how the seats operate. There was not enough adjustment for me, the adjustments didn't move in enough directions, and there was no good lumbar adjustment.

Be sure you sit in the back, too. My head was against the roof and sitting in the back wouldn't have been an option for me or most of my associates.

Incredible basic idea, but they need somebody who either makes a lot of cars or who makes a lot of consumer goods and knows what his consumers need to take it over.

Apple?

I'm 6' even and a few cheese burgers over 235 lbs. I will take copious pictures and report back about your questions. I hope it is the P85D! That was fun to drive before and I reported on that experience at the time on another thread.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
P85d?

My wife has been whining about buying a tesla for last 2 years
Her associate has one
And recently told her (she was late stuck in traffic) you wouldn't be late if you had a tesla

My hospital parking lot is full of them, as if they are given away for free

I love the 3rd row seats

Know when the body will be redesigned ? Looks dated
Old 05-28-2015, 08:42 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by 2012wagon

I love the 3rd row seats

You must be looking at redesigning the human body if you like the 3rd row seats.

The following users liked this post:
2012wagon (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 08:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

P85d?

My wife has been whining about buying a tesla for last 2 years
Her associate has one
And recently told her (she was late stuck in traffic) you wouldn't be late if you had a tesla

My hospital parking lot is full of them, as if they are given away for free

I love the 3rd row seats

I think it looks great! The P85D is the big daddy 691hp monster. 0-spine surgery in 3 seconds. I see a lot of them where I live. I will report all. The GoPro is charging now.
2012wagon (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Safety Car

You must be looking at redesigning the human body if you like the 3rd row seats.

Well

I do have a sign around my neck ...

Having said that I had an e class estate with rear third row and it was great when used for its intended purpose
Just the same as the one in the tesla
Old 05-28-2015, 08:50 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
So far, Tesla has only committed to delta upgrades of the current model. The idea is that in 5 years the car will look different but with minor tweaks every year to different parts of the car. By the way, this method seems like a no-brainer.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:53 AM
Grandpa

Well

I do have a sign around my neck ...
Old 05-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kurtatx
So far, Tesla has only committed to delta upgrades of the current model. The idea is that in 5 years the car will look different but with minor tweaks every year to different parts of the car. By the way, this method seems like a no-brainer.
I do realize that

I know in Louisiana and Alabama it looks like it's from Mars

But in la NYC Miami Boston where these are some a dozen I would like to know and hope there is a design upgrade coming

Old 05-28-2015, 04:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

follow up

Holy awesome sauce! I drove the P85D! I have to upload the video and couple of pictures, so I will share them as soon as that is done. That kind of thrust does not get old. EVER!!!!

The best part of it is the initial 0-50 mph but passing was not shockingly fast which was different than the last time I drove it. It could be that we had an extra two people on board. The seat adjustments were good but not intuitive. Adjusting the lumbar took a few seconds to figure out. Rear head room was not fantastic for the guy who was about 6'2" sitting in the back. The woman sitting behind me had leg crossing space according to what she said. The batteries were at about 1/2 charge at the time. The dash display is cool but I prefer the traditional layout. The center display with the 2X iPad size LCD screen just looks odd. Materials were not up to what I would expect of a $122,000 car IHO. It was quiet but not remarkably coming out of the RLX-SH. In the end I would not part with that level of currency for that car when for half as much you can have 85% of the same experience in the SH.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
Malibu Flyer (05-28-2015), pgeorg (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 05:53 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
How was the handling?

I have heard so much about the "insane" acceleration, I am not surprised by your speed observations.

Did you get an opportunity to check out the handling/cornering ability? I am wondering how it compares to the Sport Hybrid. If memory serves me right the "d" is AWD with torque vectoring. I assume it might actually perform better than our RLXs given its low center of gravity and low profile but I look forward to your thoughts.

My conclusions on the Tesla [only from a few rides I have had with a business associate who has a 2014 model P]is that I wouldn't spend the extra money for the car either. Also, while the all electric stuff is appealing, my idea of a road trip doesn't include spending several hours cooling my heals while the car gets charged. Besides, they are so prevalent in Southern California I am not sure I want to be just "one of the crowd".

Thanks for the post.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
The best part of it is the initial 0-50 mph but passing was not shockingly fast which was different than the last time I drove it. It could be that we had an extra two people on board.
The P85D's specified 691 HP is overrated in that it'll never pull out that much power from the battery. There's a large thread at Tesla Motor Club which suggests maximum HP is closer to 550. That plus the lack of a transmission means that it can't match comparable HP gas powered vehicles in the passing department at higher speeds.

Last edited by accord1999; 05-28-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Holy awesome sauce! I drove the P85D! I have to upload the video and couple of pictures, so I will share them as soon as that is done. That kind of thrust does not get old. EVER!!!!

The best part of it is the initial 0-50 mph but passing was not shockingly fast which was different than the last time I drove it. It could be that we had an extra two people on board. The seat adjustments were good but not intuitive. Adjusting the lumbar took a few seconds to figure out. Rear head room was not fantastic for the guy who was about 6'2" sitting in the back. The woman sitting behind me had leg crossing space according to what she said. The batteries were at about 1/2 charge at the time. The dash display is cool but I prefer the traditional layout. The center display with the 2X iPad size LCD screen just looks odd. Materials were not up to what I would expect of a $122,000 car IHO. It was quiet but not remarkably coming out of the RLX-SH. In the end I would not part with that level of currency for that car when for half as much you can have 85% of the same experience in the SH.

Previous post #1

Driven: Tesla P85D back to back with the RLX Sport Hybrid
Ok guys I could not resist. I stopped by a Tesla dealership and took one out for a test drive. Let me say with the loudest voice possible............. WOW!!!!!!! Insane mode is not insane. It is nuts, crazy, stupid, and I can't figure out what else to say! WOW!!!! The first hit of torque is freaking bananas!! Now after reattaching my retinas and putting my head back on my shoulders (of course I am exaggerating), the rest of the car was not as awesome as I hoped. That was disappointing. The sound system staging is unbelievable and the dash is ultra modern, but the back seats were hard and tight, the head room was clearly less than the RLX, and the materials were no better. The trunk space in the front and back are fantastic although unusual, but I did not feel like I was in a $122,000 car as designed. $75,000 yes, but not $122,000. That was disappointing.

Back to the driving dynamics. The handling was far superior to most cars of the road, but not dynamically better than the RLX-SH which was complimenting both cars. Turn-in inputs are about identical, and braking was essentially the same in the real world, meaning the initial bite is just about spot on, and the progressive application feel is excellent in both cars. The balance of both seemed to be almost equal, if not slightly tipped towards the RLX-SH as being ever so slightly better. What was odd was that the ambient noise was MORE in the Tesla even when compared to the RLX-SH when the ICE is engaged! That surprised me. I even noted it to the salesman that I was surprised that the noise was as much as I heard. He questioned me so after we got back we took a brief drive in my SH and he confirmed that the RLX-SH is indeed significantly quieter than the Tesla. Very surprising.

So here is my summary: The Tesla P85D is stupendously fast, like Saturn 5 Rocket fast, and that is about as much of a selling point there is for me. At $75,000 I would be a buyer, but at $122,000, I'm passing. If I did not have the RLX-SH maybe I would feel differently, but driving them back to back, the Tesla is not different enough for me to be attracted to it. That being said it shows just how fabulous the RLX-SH is!

Previous post #2:

In retrospect, it would be hard for any car to launch any harder than the P85D unless they were attached to a catapult on an air craft carrier. I was prepared for it and it even got me surprised. You can't help but smile when it hits you. The best I can muster for an analogy is imagine getting rear ended by a semi going about 50 mph (without the damage and carnage). That about does it.

When I was driving very inappropriately on curvy roads I know very well (I think the salesman was soiling himself but I can't confirm), the point and shoot abilities are nothing short of spectacular. The immediacy of the thrust, and the continuous nature of its delivery are things that make little boys dream (well the other dream since the first one has Victoria Secret models in that one). The road I was on I think had a 30 mph speed limit and other than in the sharp turns where I was probably slowing to around 40 mph, in the very short straights I easily hit 90 mph (ok yes I broke every law in the land but nobody was around). That does not describe the thrust capabilities very well. Let me try. Imagine being able to accelerate from 40-90mph in about 50 yards (my estimation). That should do it. Ok back to the dynamics: There was very little body roll, very little squat on acceleration or braking, no squeaks, rattles or lose teeth that I could find. My wallet did fly into the back seat....... no that is an exaggeration.....that was one of my kidneys. Yup it was freaking bananas!!!

Did I have fun? You bet. Would it be a roller coaster ride everyday, yup. Would I be in jail for speeding, absolutely. Quite frankly I am surprised that has not happened yet with the shenanigans I have enjoyed in the RLX-SH, but those videos will be uploaded as soon as I can figure out the technical issues I am working on. More on that soon.

It just shows how great the RLX-SH is by comparison because the P85D is not enough of a difference to warrant the vast difference in cost. Now the NSX is a whole different can of beans. That might be if it does not cost $180,000.
pgeorg (05-29-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 08:41 PM
Safety Car

Are you getting the Tesla or RLX-h>Tesla?
Old 05-28-2015, 09:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
Originally Posted by accord1999
The P85D's specified 691 HP is overrated in that it'll never pull out that much power from the battery. There's a large thread at Tesla Motor Club which suggests maximum HP is closer to 550. That plus the lack of a transmission means that it can't match comparable HP gas powered vehicles in the passing department at higher speeds.
Does EV HP/Torque die off at passing speeds?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:15 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
pics of the testla yet? I know of one around here in the wild, it is at the hospital.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by getakey
It is still ridiculous, just not as insane as the 0-50 mph. Still faster than 98% of any other car on earth.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Are you getting the Tesla or RLX-h>Tesla?
I would still take the RLX-SH over the Tesla P85D any day. Dollar for dollar the RLX-SH is fantastic!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 PM
Safety Car

I would still take the RLX-SH over the Tesla P85D any day. Dollar for dollar the RLX-SH is fantastic!
Yup yup

Rlxh>p85d

In la you are somebody in a rlx
You are a nobody in a tesla
Everybody got one

Paparazzi doesn't have tesla
Old 05-28-2015, 10:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Previous post #1

Driven: Tesla P85D back to back with the RLX Sport Hybrid
Ok guys I could not resist. I stopped by a Tesla dealership and took one out for a test drive. Let me say with the loudest voice possible............. WOW!!!!!!! Insane mode is not insane. It is nuts, crazy, stupid, and I can't figure out what else to say! WOW!!!! The first hit of torque is freaking bananas!! Now after reattaching my retinas and putting my head back on my shoulders (of course I am exaggerating), the rest of the car was not as awesome as I hoped. That was disappointing. The sound system staging is unbelievable and the dash is ultra modern, but the back seats were hard and tight, the head room was clearly less than the RLX, and the materials were no better. The trunk space in the front and back are fantastic although unusual, but I did not feel like I was in a $122,000 car as designed. $75,000 yes, but not $122,000. That was disappointing.

Back to the driving dynamics. The handling was far superior to most cars of the road, but not dynamically better than the RLX-SH which was complimenting both cars. Turn-in inputs are about identical, and braking was essentially the same in the real world, meaning the initial bite is just about spot on, and the progressive application feel is excellent in both cars. The balance of both seemed to be almost equal, if not slightly tipped towards the RLX-SH as being ever so slightly better. What was odd was that the ambient noise was MORE in the Tesla even when compared to the RLX-SH when the ICE is engaged! That surprised me. I even noted it to the salesman that I was surprised that the noise was as much as I heard. He questioned me so after we got back we took a brief drive in my SH and he confirmed that the RLX-SH is indeed significantly quieter than the Tesla. Very surprising.

So here is my summary: The Tesla P85D is stupendously fast, like Saturn 5 Rocket fast, and that is about as much of a selling point there is for me. At $75,000 I would be a buyer, but at $122,000, I'm passing. If I did not have the RLX-SH maybe I would feel differently, but driving them back to back, the Tesla is not different enough for me to be attracted to it. That being said it shows just how fabulous the RLX-SH is!

Previous post #2:

In retrospect, it would be hard for any car to launch any harder than the P85D unless they were attached to a catapult on an air craft carrier. I was prepared for it and it even got me surprised. You can't help but smile when it hits you. The best I can muster for an analogy is imagine getting rear ended by a semi going about 50 mph (without the damage and carnage). That about does it.

When I was driving very inappropriately on curvy roads I know very well (I think the salesman was soiling himself but I can't confirm), the point and shoot abilities are nothing short of spectacular. The immediacy of the thrust, and the continuous nature of its delivery are things that make little boys dream (well the other dream since the first one has Victoria Secret models in that one). The road I was on I think had a 30 mph speed limit and other than in the sharp turns where I was probably slowing to around 40 mph, in the very short straights I easily hit 90 mph (ok yes I broke every law in the land but nobody was around). That does not describe the thrust capabilities very well. Let me try. Imagine being able to accelerate from 40-90mph in about 50 yards (my estimation). That should do it. Ok back to the dynamics: There was very little body roll, very little squat on acceleration or braking, no squeaks, rattles or lose teeth that I could find. My wallet did fly into the back seat....... no that is an exaggeration.....that was one of my kidneys. Yup it was freaking bananas!!!

Did I have fun? You bet. Would it be a roller coaster ride everyday, yup. Would I be in jail for speeding, absolutely. Quite frankly I am surprised that has not happened yet with the shenanigans I have enjoyed in the RLX-SH, but those videos will be uploaded as soon as I can figure out the technical issues I am working on. More on that soon.

It just shows how great the RLX-SH is by comparison because the P85D is not enough of a difference to warrant the vast difference in cost. Now the NSX is a whole different can of beans. That might be if it does not cost $180,000.

http://youtu.be/IsKVQr-0PcM

Last edited by RLX-Sport Hybrid; 05-28-2015 at 10:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
Malibu Flyer (05-29-2015), pgeorg (05-29-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I might be wrong but looks like ashton martin vantage from the side
Old 05-28-2015, 10:30 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for the pics !
Old 05-28-2015, 10:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the pics !
Video is at the bottom. Enjoy! I did. The Tesla rep was holding my GoPro.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:50 PM
Safety Car

^
I read that last line too fast

Why not buy one for the wife ?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

^
I read that last line too fast

Why not buy one for the wife ?
She is afraid to drive the SH. Too powerful.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Safety Car

Buy her the base model
Old 05-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by krava
I might be wrong but looks like aston martin vantage from the side
I can see that, but less so in person. I have seen many Astons and they look slightly smaller in person than the Tesla.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Buy her the base model
She gets weird every time I pull away from a stop in EV mode in the SH. The Tesla would simply freak her out I think. She is sitting right next to me and she just shook her head no way about getting one. She says, it is not for her.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:59 PM
Safety Car

Ah well

Then pat on the back to you sir
On having a wife who doesn't want to spend money

When my Lexus hybrid is in Ev mode or when engine is stopped at a light, only time of quiet I get away from work and kids and wife at home
Old 05-28-2015, 11:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ah well

Then pat on the back to you sir
On having a wife who doesn't want to spend money

When my Lexus hybrid is in Ev mode or when engine is stopped at a light, only time of quiet I get away from work and kids and wife at home
I agree with you about the silence and the near absense of it in our busy lives, but my wife's issue is not about the money. It is the type of car does not work for her. She loves the MDX for its ride height and over all ride and utility. The car just does nothing for her. Just her preference.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

BTW Tesla had all three models there for everyone to drive.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:26 PM
Safety Car

With a p85d around , did anyone pay attention to the other two ?
Old 05-29-2015, 02:02 AM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
Relatively speaking it does. It reaches torque peak pretty quickly, at like 20-30 mph and reaches and stays at power peak between ~35-80 mph. It behaves similar to a turbo diesel in a lot of respects.

A gas powered 500+ hp car can use gearing to remain in power band and out accelerate the P85D at higher speeds.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

With a p85d around , did anyone pay attention to the other two ?
Good morning! To continue the conversation, yes the other cars got test drives, but those that knew better waited for the P85D, or drove the others and then got into the big daddy.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by accord1999
Relatively speaking it does. It reaches torque peak pretty quickly, at like 20-30 mph and reaches and stays at power peak between ~35-80 mph. It behaves similar to a turbo diesel in a lot of respects.

A gas powered 500+ hp car can use gearing to remain in power band and out accelerate the P85D at higher speeds.
I wonder if there is a graph of the time to speed measurement for the P85D to back up your thesis and my experience (seat of the pants). A 1/4 mile time and trap speed will not account for the fast out of the gate and slowing acceleration as it gains mph. That would be interesting to look at. Maybe someone can find that and post it here for conversational purposes?
Old 05-29-2015, 06:16 AM
Grandpa

Have they done anything to give you more headroom, more seat adjustments, and designed a seat without integral headrests?

How do you feel about the HVAC's organization and effectiveness?

Do you have an observation about the comparison between Tesla and the Krell Audio?

Can you still connect to the Web and navigate while the car is moving, or did somebody have an attack of common sense for this model year?

How do you feel about Autopilot after using it? Did the system keep track of the posted speed limits?

Did you have air suspension?

As you might be able to tell, I am a fan of the technology but not necessarily a fan of the execution of it. If I could get face to face with Musk, I'd tell him to sit down with Apple and let's think about some of this stuff a little more carefully.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thanks for the comparison. The only thing better would have been a picture of the Blackbird next to the P85D. I'm interested in trying "Insane" mode in the P85D, myself.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Have they done anything to give you more headroom, more seat adjustments, and designed a seat without integral headrests? I did not notice the head rests to comment, but the seats were comfortable, however the seat adjustments on the driver side were not easy to get to as my left hand had to be wedged in with the door closed because my watch got in the way. The space between the seat and the door was a little tight.

How do you feel about the HVAC's organization and effectiveness? I thought this was intuitive and easy to work, although noisy with an electric motor hum that to me sounded louder than the flow of air might cause coming out of the air vents.

Do you have an observation about the comparison between Tesla and the Krell Audio? I can't speak to the Krell as I have the ELS for comparative reasons, but the sound stage is fantastic (best I have ever heard before), great balance, superb accuracy, smooth sound curve, and powerful bass without being overpowering.

Can you still connect to the Web and navigate while the car is moving, or did somebody have an attack of common sense for this model year? Don't know as I did not try.

How do you feel about Autopilot after using it? Did the system keep track of the posted speed limits? I did not use it to test it.

Did you have air suspension? Yes

As you might be able to tell, I am a fan of the technology but not necessarily a fan of the execution of it. If I could get face to face with Musk, I'd tell him to sit down with Apple and let's think about some of this stuff a little more carefully.
If Apple get's into this business, it would be an even better American story.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Thanks for the comparison. The only thing better would have been a picture of the Blackbird next to the P85D. I'm interested in trying "Insane" mode in the P85D, myself.
Look in the background of one of the pictures. It is there as a side shot.

Quick Reply: Getting more drivetime in a Tesla today