Getting more drivetime in a Tesla today

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015 | 05:13 PM
Racer

I don't think there is a car around that can compare to the Krell audio that isn't even fair to test anything against it. That is one of the reasons I got the RLX as it is.
Old 05-29-2015 | 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

I beg to differ. The optional sound systems in both the MB S550 as well as the Audi A8L are unbelievable. The Tesla optional sound system is easily within arguing range and similar quality.

I saw three P85Ds on the road today (silver, black and red), one white Rolls Royce (local guy who lives in the estate I took my picture of my SH in front of their gate), and one hideous lime green Huracan. No RLXs
Old 05-29-2015 | 09:22 PM
Grandpa

Apple Project Titan

Old 05-30-2015 | 02:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I wonder if there is a graph of the time to speed measurement for the P85D to back up your thesis and my experience (seat of the pants). A 1/4 mile time and trap speed will not account for the fast out of the gate and slowing acceleration as it gains mph. That would be interesting to look at. Maybe someone can find that and post it here for conversational purposes?
Here's a post of Performance Box graph of a 1/4 mile run done by a P85D.

P85D vs GTR - PerformanceBox data vs drag strip slip data... help?

Comparing it with something that has comparable power like the M6 (and has a C&D instrumented test), the M6 is noticeably better accelerating after 90 MPH:

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...gran-coupe.pdf

Re-reading your driving impressions, it sounds like you may have encountered some performance loss due to reduced charge. The maximum energy that can be extracted from the battery is related to its charge state; at <50% the P85D is 2-4 tenths slower to the 1/4 mile for example.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?pli=1#gid=0
Old 05-30-2015 | 07:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by accord1999
Here's a post of Performance Box graph of a 1/4 mile run done by a P85D.

P85D vs GTR - PerformanceBox data vs drag strip slip data... help?

Comparing it with something that has comparable power like the M6 (and has a C&D instrumented test), the M6 is noticeably better accelerating after 90 MPH:

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...gran-coupe.pdf

Re-reading your driving impressions, it sounds like you may have encountered some performance loss due to reduced charge. The maximum energy that can be extracted from the battery is related to its charge state; at <50% the P85D is 2-4 tenths slower to the 1/4 mile for example.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?pli=1#gid=0
What a great find! Fantastic! Well that confirms it.
Old 05-30-2015 | 07:56 AM
Racer

I have left out an important part of info when I posted. Lets say your not going to find anything that can compete to the Krell in a car lets say under 80K. I left myself wide open for that one. I know the Bang and Offerson? audio is a $5,500 or something upgrade. It better be good to cost that much. I haven't looked at a A 8L that thing is like a limo at how big it is. You can get one on ecarone.com pretty decent price though but still after 100K miles I wouldn't trust it. The MB S550 is way out of my price range so I didn't even consider it. I know for a fact the 2003 E class didn't have good sound, that was the last MB I was ever in. MY ex-worker like the MB cars because they are status symbols. He proved it to me once, he went out of his way, flagged a girl down in a car etc but won't get into that. I think the meridian system in the Jaguar's are pretty good though but probably similar to ELS.
Old 05-31-2015 | 07:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

WOW!!! The acceleration from the apex of that on-ramp curve was absolutely INSANE! And that was just through a video!
Old 06-01-2015 | 08:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by holografique
WOW!!! The acceleration from the apex of that on-ramp curve was absolutely INSANE! And that was just through a video!
In the beginning of the clip when I was on the side road before getting on the entrance ramp, I accelerated from 25-65 mph before slowing for the ramp. While waiting to hit it, a stupid driver in a Jeep past me on the right shoulder and then I went from 0-75 mph before slowing to about 65 mph. When I got back on the highway again, later in the clip, that was 0-110 mph. Yes it was quite brisk. Lots of fun.
Old 06-02-2015 | 09:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

I drove the S a few months back

I was very impressed

Can't even imagine the even faster P85D
Old 06-02-2015 | 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator

I went to watch the movie but first grabbed my headphones as i was in the office..

in hindsight, i wondered what i was expecting to hear :P Awesome OP!
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-02-2015)
Old 06-13-2015 | 07:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Previous post #1

Driven: Tesla P85D back to back with the RLX Sport Hybrid
Ok guys I could not resist. I stopped by a Tesla dealership and took one out for a test drive. Let me say with the loudest voice possible............. WOW!!!!!!! Insane mode is not insane. It is nuts, crazy, stupid, and I can't figure out what else to say! WOW!!!! The first hit of torque is freaking bananas!! Now after reattaching my retinas and putting my head back on my shoulders (of course I am exaggerating), the rest of the car was not as awesome as I hoped. That was disappointing. The sound system staging is unbelievable and the dash is ultra modern, but the back seats were hard and tight, the head room was clearly less than the RLX, and the materials were no better. The trunk space in the front and back are fantastic although unusual, but I did not feel like I was in a $122,000 car as designed. $75,000 yes, but not $122,000. That was disappointing.

Back to the driving dynamics. The handling was far superior to most cars of the road, but not dynamically better than the RLX-SH which was complimenting both cars. Turn-in inputs are about identical, and braking was essentially the same in the real world, meaning the initial bite is just about spot on, and the progressive application feel is excellent in both cars. The balance of both seemed to be almost equal, if not slightly tipped towards the RLX-SH as being ever so slightly better. What was odd was that the ambient noise was MORE in the Tesla even when compared to the RLX-SH when the ICE is engaged! That surprised me. I even noted it to the salesman that I was surprised that the noise was as much as I heard. He questioned me so after we got back we took a brief drive in my SH and he confirmed that the RLX-SH is indeed significantly quieter than the Tesla. Very surprising.

So here is my summary: The Tesla P85D is stupendously fast, like Saturn 5 Rocket fast, and that is about as much of a selling point there is for me. At $75,000 I would be a buyer, but at $122,000, I'm passing. If I did not have the RLX-SH maybe I would feel differently, but driving them back to back, the Tesla is not different enough for me to be attracted to it. That being said it shows just how fabulous the RLX-SH is!

Previous post #2:

In retrospect, it would be hard for any car to launch any harder than the P85D unless they were attached to a catapult on an air craft carrier. I was prepared for it and it even got me surprised. You can't help but smile when it hits you. The best I can muster for an analogy is imagine getting rear ended by a semi going about 50 mph (without the damage and carnage). That about does it.

When I was driving very inappropriately on curvy roads I know very well (I think the salesman was soiling himself but I can't confirm), the point and shoot abilities are nothing short of spectacular. The immediacy of the thrust, and the continuous nature of its delivery are things that make little boys dream (well the other dream since the first one has Victoria Secret models in that one). The road I was on I think had a 30 mph speed limit and other than in the sharp turns where I was probably slowing to around 40 mph, in the very short straights I easily hit 90 mph (ok yes I broke every law in the land but nobody was around). That does not describe the thrust capabilities very well. Let me try. Imagine being able to accelerate from 40-90mph in about 50 yards (my estimation). That should do it. Ok back to the dynamics: There was very little body roll, very little squat on acceleration or braking, no squeaks, rattles or lose teeth that I could find. My wallet did fly into the back seat....... no that is an exaggeration.....that was one of my kidneys. Yup it was freaking bananas!!!

Did I have fun? You bet. Would it be a roller coaster ride everyday, yup. Would I be in jail for speeding, absolutely. Quite frankly I am surprised that has not happened yet with the shenanigans I have enjoyed in the RLX-SH, but those videos will be uploaded as soon as I can figure out the technical issues I am working on. More on that soon.

It just shows how great the RLX-SH is by comparison because the P85D is not enough of a difference to warrant the vast difference in cost. Now the NSX is a whole different can of beans. That might be if it does not cost $180,000.
I also drove the Telsa 85D and P85D last Friday and I agree with you, WoW and insane. My wife was in the back when we went on a test drive in the P85D and the sales account told me to floor when a red light turned green, no cars around and OMG the car took off like a bullet. My wife yelled slow down! The 85D with options was around $100k without taxes, reg and tags. The P85D with option was $120k.

Comparing it too an RXL is really apple and oranges, is the Tesla cool, no question the tech control of the car's function and features. But is at the same level of luxury as the RLX, as my wife said to me, definitely no. It also is missing quite a few features that I would expect to see in a car of that price range. They are as follows:
1. No side or auto rear windows screen
2. Their premium audio option does not compare to the Krell or ELS. In fact when I asked the sales associate what was the premium system he say it was Logitech with 12 speakers.
3. The next generation front seats which are not as comforable as the RLX.
4. Not iPod friendly, for music. You either have to Bluetooth steam it or put it on a flash drive.
5. No front ventilated seats.
6. No rear ac control, just vents.
7. No rear outboard heated car.
8. My wife sat in the back seat and felt they more like her Prius. Not as comforable as the RLX.
9. No rear cross monitor .
10. Only front and rear camera, no 360 view.
11. Interior does not look as luxuries as an RLX.
12. No puddle lights
13. No front center console.
14. Arm rest is small and position is too far back and no storage in it.
15. No rear center arm rest or storage
16. No HUD
17. Front lights are not LED, Halogen.
18. No fog lights
19. No heated steering wheel.

Things that were cool:
1. Pana roof
2. 17" control pad
3. Float option
4. Park it self option
5. Pass and auto drive it self option.
6. Speed!!!
7. Remote control of the car and it's features and programming controls.
8. Supercharge stations infrastructure for charging on cross cuntry trips, however you will need to plan it so you can stop every so often.
9. Miles per charge, 270.
10. Auto high beams
11. Cars features and functions are SW upgradable over the air
12. Car can be used as a hot spot
13. Google search engine, navigation and real time traffic.
14. Auto leveling head lights.
15. Front and back storage trunk area.
16. Guaranteed 50% buyback of the car at 3 years, but you have to use their service center for annual maintenance.

Essentially, I see the Telsa as a really cool car for techies car however, IMHO I don't see it measuring up to the luxury class.
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-14-2015)