Fair SH-AWD RLX Price

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:10 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Fair SH-AWD RLX Price

OK guy's, $55k OTD for a new, 14 SH-AWD Tech model!
Good Price?
Old 03-30-2015, 01:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
2016 is potentially about to be announced...I would wait if I were you...
The following users liked this post:
sooththetruth (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 05:19 AM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotgun
OK guy's, $55k OTD for a new, 14 SH-AWD Tech model!
Good Price?

I think it is a good price, but I would decide to buy only if you really like this car, this color, and are someone who keeps his cars a long time.

Soon that car will be a two year old model in the eyes of the uninformed, and the car is expensive enough that the market will perhaps batter the resale price as soon as you buy it, because a car that expensive can be bought new by luxury car seekers. But there was a used advance in Hoover, AL that I didn't get to see in time, Certified by Acura, that was for sale about 3 weeks back for $55K. I can only guess it's true sale price, but I would suspect it was under that price, and that was for an Advance. It was very low mileage

Still, you don't know the price of the 2016 new ones, and OTD,which I really presume to mean including taxes and other fees, really means that you are getting this car for under 50K. Hmmmm, suddenly I realize that I wish I had had the guts to negotiate when I looked at a tech last month, I never imagined a price that low for the Hybrid.

I could not get past the fake wood in the car. I would rather have Shiny Black Plastic over fake wood (which is shiny fake wood plastic). Also, I use the trunk of a car a lot. But for under 50 K, I would have reconsidered.

Sigh, really liked driving the car. I have changed my mind while writing this post. I would not hesitate to buy at this price if is a color combo you like.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'd say 55k OTD (operative concept: OTD ) is a great price. Do it!
Old 03-30-2015, 08:55 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
55K including taxes, etc. is an excellent price for what is a truly superior car. Assuming you drove it and liked it, I agree, go for it.
TacoBello (04-03-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 09:30 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
It's a fair price but I agree with smooth the truth.....you need to not care what the car is worth in 6 months because it will be less once the 2016 hit the streets.

It is a car that all of us who have it are very happy with. Given that it is a color combo you like, I'd say go for it. I paid $61,250 (before taxes and registration) for my Advanced right after it came out (which made it a year old car- 2014 when the 2015 were coming out). It is not a move I regret. I'm happy with the car and since I usually keep a car for 8+ years. I don't care what it is worth today. I just enjoy driving it. It still puts a smile on my face when I get in it.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
awesome price since it includes sales tax
Old 03-31-2015, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Go get it!
Old 04-03-2015, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
check out the 2016 announcement for content and then determine WHEN the Sports Hybrid comes out. then compare the 2014 content and see if you can live with it. the time difference between when you get the 2014 car and when you can drive away the 2016 car (assuming both are TECH) will let you understand if you can live with the depreciation and the price difference....

either way you will have a blast...do you want it now or later
Old 04-03-2015, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Thank's for the feedback...

I really appreciate all the excellent comments! Given my age and propensity to keep cars for a "little while" I've decided to wait and see what the 2016\17 SH-AWD model will offer (if ever available) and what, if anything, will distinguish it from the Japanese "Honda Legend" version.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:16 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I really appreciate all the excellent comments! Given my age and propensity to keep cars for a "little while" I've decided to wait and see what the 2016\17 SH-AWD model will offer (if ever available) and what, if anything, will distinguish it from the Japanese "Honda Legend" version.
It sounds like there's a very real chance that you'll have to custom order any 2016 model Sport Hybrid.

That could mean some pricing shenanigans because they know you're already hooked.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd get the car that you already know you can get. The content for 2016 is already known...so...if you think the surround camera system is that big a deal, then wait for it and pay more.

Not being sarcastic. I just think that if you have to custom order a car and wait for it, you're going to pay more.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Instructor

George, I don't think you're being sarcastic at all and your points are spot on however, being an Acura loyalist for many years and as mentioned previously, given my age, places me in the position of where I've always and continue to appreciate a good deal, price is not the final arbiter of my car buying decision.

I'm considering a broad range of cars in the $50-125k range and Acura's legendary reliability appeals to me as do its nuances of comfort and performance.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:38 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
I'm considering a broad range of cars in the $50-125k range and Acura's legendary reliability appeals to me as do its nuances of comfort and performance.
Well in that case, you should wait for the NSX. The price shouldn't be that far off from the higher end of your price range.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
I'll chime in to support George Knighton's opinion that the 2014 RLX Sport Hybrid is likely to be a much better value compared to the 2016. If you can find a Sport Hybrid trim level that you are happy with, the chances are that the dealership is getting anxious to move it and will likely discount it heavily. The 2016 version MAY be order only (this is what I was told would be the case up here in Canada) which leaves the consumer with much less leverage to get a deal which could mean the difference of up to $10000 for fundamentally the same car (other than a few tech features that may or may not be important to you). If you plan to keep the car for 8 to 10 years, investing that $10000 savings will easily achieve many, many times the difference in values between the 2014 and 2016 when it comes time to sell AND you get to enjoy an amazing car now instead of waiting. Of course the down side to the 2014 is that you may suffer some "first year model issues" that will have been worked out in the 2016.

Obviously, you should buy the car that YOU want and feels right for you.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Indeed! The part in me that says "Oh hell go for it!" is speaking very loudly especially since a Porsche 911 "Carrera S" is also on my radar...
Old 04-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hondamore
I'll chime in to support George Knighton's opinion that the 2014 RLX Sport Hybrid is likely to be a much better value compared to the 2016. If you can find a Sport Hybrid trim level that you are happy with, the chances are that the dealership is getting anxious to move it and will likely discount it heavily. The 2016 version MAY be order only (this is what I was told would be the case up here in Canada) which leaves the consumer with much less leverage to get a deal which could mean the difference of up to $10000 for fundamentally the same car (other than a few tech features that may or may not be important to you). If you plan to keep the car for 8 to 10 years, investing that $10000 savings will easily achieve many, many times the difference in values between the 2014 and 2016 when it comes time to sell AND you get to enjoy an amazing car now instead of waiting. Of course the down side to the 2014 is that you may suffer some "first year model issues" that will have been worked out in the 2016.

Obviously, you should buy the car that YOU want and feels right for you.
Thanks for complicating things "further" for me Hondamore
Old 04-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Indeed! The part in me that says "Oh hell go for it!" is speaking very loudly especially since a Porsche 911 "Carrera S" is also on my radar...
Funny how many of us in here are all over the place like that.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Thanks for complicating things "further" for me Hondamore
Sorry about that!!

I rode the indecision roller coaster for a year or so myself. It is kind of a fun ride, though, with a great prize at the end.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:56 PM
Instructor

It's done!!!

Well team, I bit the bullet and am now, as of 17 Apr 2015, the proud owner of a 2015 Porsche Carrera S - Notwithstanding my joy and pleasure of being a lifelong ACURA fan I simply couldn't wait any longer on having an exiting car. Gentlemen, all I can say is that the Porsche driving experience, thus far, has been and continues to be, a very "visceral" experience...
Old 04-19-2015, 09:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well team, I bit the bullet and am now, as of 17 Apr 2015, the proud owner of a 2015 Porsche Carrera S - Notwithstanding my joy and pleasure of being a lifelong ACURA fan I simply couldn't wait any longer on having an exiting car. Gentlemen, all I can say is that the Porsche driving experience, thus far, has been and continues to be, a very "visceral" experience...
So give us pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let us live vicariously!

I drove a 911 turbo in the early 2,000's that belonged to a friend of mine for a week while he was on vacation. He asked me to "take care of it" and he said I could drive it providing I don't beat it or get in trouble with it. I didn't get in trouble with it, but I sure enjoyed myself. Killer car! I hope you enjoy it. As they say in the old country, use it in the best of health.

Last edited by RLX-Sport Hybrid; 04-19-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:14 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Congrats, and PICS!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 04-19-2015, 10:53 PM
Instructor

I'll shoot some pictures tomorrow and post them ASAP...
Old 04-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Photos

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
So give us pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let us live vicariously!
As requested, here are 13 quick shots, Roberre | Porsche, please excuse the mess in my garage
Old 04-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

As requested, here are 13 quick shots, Roberre | Porsche, please excuse the mess in my garage
Few things:
1.) WOW!!!!!!! That is da BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2.) So that is what leaves look like on trees. I almost forgot what they look like after our winter up here in Siberia.
3.) Are you going to get all weather mats so preserve the carpeted floor mats?
4.) Are you going to get driving shoes?

That looks killer! Enjoy it!

Take some video so we can enjoy that too!
bronx1480 (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Few things:
1.) WOW!!!!!!! That is da BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2.) So that is what leaves look like on trees. I almost forgot what they look like after our winter up here in Siberia.
3.) Are you going to get all weather mats so preserve the carpeted floor mats?
4.) Are you going to get driving shoes?

That looks killer! Enjoy it!

Take some video so we can enjoy that too!
You must be clairvoyant RLX-Sport Hybrid! I was researching liners/mats as I was reading your message. Looking at WeatherTech and Porsche OEM rubber - any recommendations?

BTW, I know this is an Acura forum and will not post ad nauseam about my 911. However, if you guys don't mind, I will share a few pro's and con's about the 911. That said, I will NOT go away from Acurazine - I love the site too much and maybe, just maybe, trade the 911 for the new NSX...
Old 04-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Instructor

You must be clairvoyant RLX-Sport Hybrid! I was researching liners/mats as I was reading your message. Looking at WeatherTech and Porsche OEM rubber - any recommendations?

BTW, I know this is an Acura forum and will not post ad nauseam about my 911. However, if you guys don't mind, I will share a few pro's and con's about the 911. That said, I will NOT go away from Acurazine - I love the site too much and maybe, just maybe, trade the 911 for the new NSX...
congrats. very sharp looking..you purchased from my neck of the woods....atl..which dealership did you look at the hybrid?
Old 04-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Thanks! Yes, I made a run to ATL and bought from Jim Ellis Porsche. Did not see the hybrid.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Instructor

Thanks! Yes, I made a run to ATL and bought from Jim Ellis Porsche. Did not see the hybrid.

I was referring which dealership did you go to for the acura rlx hybrid.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Again: Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

I would stick with the OEM and not modify anything on the car. Not that your model is a short run globally, you car will hold its value better than many other cars in your segment. If you kept the sticker and the brochure in pristine condition you never know what someone will pay for it later in a private sale if you have those things. My friend I noted who let me "take care of his car" while he was on vacation, made a custom leather bound very high quality binder with the brand, model and serial number of his car embroidered into the cover, for the original brochure and sales documents. It also had sections for recording all repairs and maintenance on it. He told me that the show of commitment to the car actually increases its value relative to its peers because the next buyer will feel that your car was taken care of better then the average one on the auction block, thus the increased value you can sell it for. Also NEVER take it to a car wash.......EVER!!!!! The curves on that aluminum body are meant to be cared for by hand and not a machine (that sounded weird writing that, but keep you mind out of the gutter and stay focused on the detailing I am referencing). Back to my thoughts. When you wash it, use fresh clean water in a scrubbed out bucket with two micro fiber wash mitts so you can clean the car faster not letting the suds start to dry. You can probably do half of the car at a time starting from the top down. Wheels are last with a separate bucket and a different micro fiber wash mitt. Also your rotors if they are carbon/carbon, do NOT use cleaners on them as you will ruin the way they seat to the pads. Use soap and water only with a soft brush (soft enough that if you brushed you eye lids it would not hurt (old trick I learned from my detailing teacher)). Also keep the brush in soapy water at all times so it never drys out (keeps it very soft). Use only super clean edgeless micro fiber towels to dry the car using a waffle towel as the initial drying tool, followed by a quick wipe of the other towel so that you are not pressing a towel on completely dry paint (causes swirls very easily).

Sorry for my impromptu lesson (basic stuff) but you have one shot to NOT mess up the paint on such a beautiful car. Do it wrong once and it will take a professional who actually knows what he is doing to fix it.

I have tons more tips if you want them.

Enjoy!
Old 04-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3.2cls6speedmt
I was referring which dealership did you go to for the acura rlx hybrid.

Sorry 3.2cls6speedmt, being in a state of "giddiness", your question didn't register with me. I was looking at a black 2014 SH-AWD RLX Tech at Jerry Damson Acura in Huntsville, AL. Drove by two days ago and it was still on the lot. I believe they may have a white one as well and I "know" they're ready to deal!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Sorry 3.2cls6speedmt, being in a state of "giddiness", your question didn't register with me. I was looking at a black 2014 SH-AWD RLX Tech at Jerry Damson Acura in Huntsville, AL. Drove by two days ago and it was still on the lot. I believe they may have a white one as well and I "know" they're ready to deal!

Thank you very much information. I think you have a very good reason to be giddy.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Instructor

1st Month

As promised earlier not to post on my 911 ad nauseam, I'm now approaching 1st full month of 2015 Porsche Carrera S ownership. A few thoughts...The car totally exceeded my expectations and continues to impress and surprise me with it's outlandish performance, style and elegance. Whereas I always raved about my 05 Acura RL, this piece of machinery, the 911, has put me on a totally different plane! The numerous thumbs up, high fives, enthusiastic nods, owl like neck movements and resigned facial expressions from Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW, Corvette, Mustang owners and the overall enthusiastic and respectful responses from other's is something I've NEVER experienced and is, quite frankly, immensely enjoyable.

That said, I won't even begin to try to explain what impact the sound of the engine has on this driver or others within earshot, its simply mesmerizing! However, I will say this, as much as I've loved my Acura cars I now, very much, wish I'd not waited so long and purchased a 911 much earlier - I can't believe I missed so much fun...